Chapter 5: The great escape
2.8k 10 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Time to go,' Leo muttered, wishing for his skill shadow cloak to activate. There was no complex spell, no lengthy chant, or any complex actions needed, all it took was a single thought, and just like the system said he could feel the skill being activated. It was hard to believe he was able to use the legendary magic so easily.

The moment he activated 'Shadow cloak', an unknown energy was stirred inside him and started moving inside his body. The feeling was vague, and Leo couldn't describe exactly what the energy was, but if he had to guess, he would say Mana. The feeling of the Mana moving inside his body was wondrous, wherever the mana went it would create a soothing and refreshing feeling. It was the first time Leo was feeling something so good outside of s*x and eating.

'Ah, that feeling is addicting. Mana, uh. But I guess first times always have a somewhat different taste,' Leo mumbled with a weird grin on his face.

Leo's mana quickly spread through his body and a mass of shadow was gathered around him before covering him from head to toe, giving him a blurred outline and fusing him with the shadow around him. While he was unable to control the shadow, Leo could feel it perfectly. If before he was able to sneak around thanks to his color and stature that made him hardly noticeable in the darkness, now Leo could feel that he was truly part of the shadow, indiscernible from it. It was truly a wondrous feeling.

He could feel that the difference between his safety with and without 'shadow cloak' activated was huge. Without the skill, he could be spotted as long as someone paid enough attention to the spot he was standing. Now, even if someone were to look straight at him, Leo felt like they wouldn't see anything. Heck, even a human could have some chance at escaping if they used this skill, even more so a midget like him.

'It is good, but I don't think its effects would be absolute and I have only 4 to 5 minutes in that state if I don't consider my mana regeneration. Anyway, let's stay cautious,' Leo muttered as he slowly walked away. He was thankful that the cave was in so much chaos as it made it even easier for him to sneak around.

First, Leo headed deeper inside the cave to see if he could find his way around there, but he was left disappointed. The tunnels at the back of the cave were no good for him, the first one he chose led him towards a chasm.

The second one quickly turned into a labyrinth with countless pathways, while Leo's senses of direction weren't as bad as those of a certain one-eyed swordsman, he was still forced to turn back before he got lost. As for the rest of the tunnels, they have collapsed like the one he previously hid in or led to what looked like mining areas. On his way, Leo met some orcs here and there, but they looked like they didn't know what they were doing, making Leo scoff at them.

Once he was done there Leo walked through the cave for some minutes and quickly reached the area where he was previously imprisoned. Quietly he stood outside the lighted area and watched the chaos that was unfolding before his eyes.

'There is no way in hell that disorganized bunch can find me.' Leo sneered with confidence after looking at them for some time. Afterward, he quietly continued to walk, sticking to shadowy areas as much as possible, and only moving when he could feel safe.

From time to time, he would move while hiding in the shadow of an orc. While it was quite a hassle, Leo managed to pull it off and after some minutes he was close to his goal. His goal, the three tunnels that could potentially be leading towards the exit.

From the beginning, Leo kept an eye on his MP bar and after some quick math he found out that his mana regeneration was one percent per second (7.2), allowing him to permanently keep the 'shadow cloak' active and roam through the cave as long as he wanted.

However, his road wasn't completely smooth, and he almost got stepped on many times. Thankfully despite those close calls, he managed to pass through and reach the first tunnel.

'Tsk, those damn big-footed bastards. I will get back to them, one day,' Leo cursed. He was obviously displeased with the orcs, who wouldn't, but right now all he could do was complain.

Looking at the tunnel entrances that were so close to him, Leo's displeasure was quickly replaced by excitement. One of those tunnels would lead him to liberty, how could he not be excited.

While the tunnels' entrances were lighted, they were not guarded, so going into them wasn't a problem. That's exactly what Leo did as he quickly sprinted into the first one. After walking into the tunnel, Leo was greeted with a dark pathway with light radiating at its end.

Careful, Leo threaded through the tunnel and after some minutes Leo was already close to its end. However, Leo didn't even need to see what was on the other side to know that it wasn't the good one.

Just as he neared its end, Leo started hearing loud humphing and grunting sounds. At first, he was confused at what they could be, but after listening to those sounds a little more Leo quickly understood. In front of him, orcs were going on the wild ride, heartily letting out their pent-up stress, uncaring of anything else.

'How could they be going at it at this moment? Those orcs are too weird,'  Leo muttered, unable to understand the situation. Honestly, he was starting to believe he wasn't that important for the orcs. As things looked, it seemed only the orcs present in the cave during his disappearance were trying to look for him while the others were completely uncaring about it.

'Sigh, I don't care. Let's just go back. Hopefully, I'll get it right with the next one.' Leo muttered as he turned back.

Quickly, Leo exited the first tunnel and headed into the next one. It looked the same as the last one. However, this time instead of hearing the sound of an epic battle when he neared its end, Leo heard the happy and carefree chirping of birds and the rustling of leaves. He could even feel a soft breeze, blowing lightly against his fur, and bringing in its wake the fresh scent of nature.

'Finally, I did it.' Leo muttered. Leo was feeling incredibly happy now that his goal was within his reach. He even felt like he would start crying at any time. As long as he went into this forest, the orcs wouldn't be able to threaten his safety and his mission would be completed.

However, as if life would never make it easy for him, just as he found the exit, the only orc he didn't want to meet, was returning to the cave through that very tunnel.

'Shit, how can my luck be so rotten?' Leo cursed when he saw the tattoo-faced orc shaman walk into the tunnel. Leo could already see the exit from the place he was standing. He would only need to walk some meters and his mission would be a success.

Unfortunately, between him and the exit there was now an obstacle, the biggest obstacle he could have to face.

'No, there is still hope. There's no way he can know that I'm here,' Leo convinced himself as he stayed still and prayed to whatever god there is, to not be noticed by the shaman.

Unfortunately for Leo, the moment the shaman stepped into the tunnel, his gaze instantly turned towards the place he was standing. He wasn't merely looking at that place, he was staring straight into Leo's eyes.

'Shit, don't look at me. There is nothing here. I am just a shadow, a product of your imagination,' Leo said, his back drenched with sweat and his heart beating faster than a car motor.

"Hehe, so it's here you were hiding, little cat. I know you are there; you can come out now, gru-gru," the shaman said, with a hideous grin on his face.

'F**k, it's unfair I can't fail when I'm so close!' Leo said as his mind went in overdrive, trying to figure out a way to beat this last hurdle.

From the shaman's gaze, he was sure that he was already busted, and it was no use to stay in hiding. Still, he didn't answer the shaman, hoping that the latter was just trying his luck.

"Tsk, tsk, you shadow cat are really blessed. So, this is the shadow cloak that made you into such fearsome hunters, gru-gru. No wonder you could slip away without being noticed by that lowly bunch, gru-gru," the orc shaman continued, his tone containing a little admiration for Leo at the beginning. However, towards the end, his speech was filled with contempt.

It was clear that the shaman didn't think much of the orcs. After all, they were the lowly and weakest rugs of their horde, they had little to no talent when it came to fighting and hunting.

They were only useful with menial tasks and well...abusing a bunch of weak humans. How could proud orcs warriors possibly lose their time guarding a weak bunch of humans? Well, if the shaman was aware that Leo could already use 'Shadow Cloak' he would have never let that useless bunch the task of finding Leo. He thought that the latter was wandering somewhere in the cave and would be easily caught.

"Though, I am curious about why you are still here. You should have been able to escape a long time ago," the shaman added as he continued to stare at Leo.

Even then, Leo stayed silent and didn't come out. It wasn't like he had the choice.

"Are you curious about how I could find you? Honestly, even though you are so much weaker than me, I was almost fooled by your shadow cloak and missed you, gru-gru," the shaman said in a teasing way, making Leo gnash his teeth in anger.

"Hahaha. If only you hadn't stared at me for so long, gru-gru. Hahaha," the shaman ended his monolog amidst a burst of loud and mocking laughter.

It was at that moment that everything clicked in Leo's mind. The fact that he was able to roam freely around the other orcs had unconsciously made him lower his guard. But how could someone like the shaman not notice it when he was spied on? Even he was able to feel it when he was stared at for too long.

Even less a  powerful monster like the shaman with very sharp and trained senses. Also, as long as the shaman purposely looked for Leo, 'shadow cloak' that only hindered his sense of sight, the shadow cloak was of no use. After all, the sight was only one out of six senses.

'Ah, I was too imprudent. Well, if stealth skills were perfect, assassins would never miss their target,' Leo sighed as he walked out of the shadow with a defeated expression.

"You are smarter than I thought. Now, come here," the shaman said, completely looking down on Leo. For him, there was no way Leo could try anything against him. It was only natural for him to surrender before a stronger foe.

So, imagine his surprise when Leo suddenly dashed towards him with a blazing fight spirit.

"Uh!?" The shaman exclaimed and looked curiously at Leo as if he was a fool.

'Well, I should at least give it my all if I have to go down,' Leo muttered as he activated dash and sped up towards the shaman hoping he would somehow be able to bypass him and make his way towards the exit.

Unfortunately, and without much suspense, Leo's hopes were immediately crushed by the ruthless kick of the shaman. The kick was casual, but it was quick enough to stop him and sent him flying towards a wall.

BAM… MEOOOW...BAM

"Hahaha, what were you trying to do, gru-gru?" the shaman asked as he slowly walked towards Leo. While he was laughing his gaze contained displeasure.

Meanwhile, Leo watched with fear as the shaman walked towards him, his body was in so much pain that he was barely able to breathe. When had he ever felt so much pain? The pain he was feeling was almost comparable to the pain he felt when he was hit by that truck.

[HP: 20/120]

'S***, just a casual kick left me with less than a fourth of my health'

"Hey, don't tell me you already died with just that, gru-gru."

When he heard those mocking words, Leo finally lifted his head and looked at the shaman with his eyes that now contained anger.

"Hahaha, what are you looking at me like that for, gru-gru. You shouldn't feel wronged by me, it's your fault that you're so weak, gru-gru."

'I'm weak? It's my fault? What did you want me to do when I only popped into this world some hours ago?' Leo thought as he continued to glare at the pers...no orc responsible for all his grievance since coming into this world. For the first time in his life, Leo was suddenly overcome by the desire to kill. At that point, he had pretty much given up on any hope of surviving and only wanted to give the shaman a piece of his mind before going down. No matter the price.

 

 

74