Chapter 13: Not a human
1.9k 3 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since Leo now had a reason to help the siblings he turned around and focused on the ongoing fight under him. He didn't rush into the battle immediately. While the two were having a hard time fending off the goblins, their situation wasn't too dire for the moment so Leo decided to watch and wait for a little before stepping in.

After watching for a few minutes, Leo couldn't help but be impressed by Trent's skills. Although his sister and he were outnumbered he was able to keep calm and control the pace of the battle. From the beginning, he didn't give the goblin a single opportunity to surround him and never fought more than two goblins at the same time. With each of his attacks, he was able to wound a goblin. If not for the fact that he was too tired and there wasn't enough power behind his attack, he would be reaping a life with each of his moves. The most impressive thing was that while doing that he was barely hit by any of the goblins' attacks and was able to protect his sister. 

'That guy is talented.' Leo muttered. Now that he witnessed such an incredible display of skills, Leo was even more convinced that Trent wouldn't be in such a situation if he was alone. Even if he couldn't kill all the goblins, running away shouldn't be impossible. His sister was dragging him down. For example, more than one time he gave up the opportunity to kill a goblin to assist Levina. Luckily for Trent, while Levina was clumsy she wasn't completely useless and was able to influence the battle a little. From time to time, one of her arrows would stop a goblin and give a little breathing room to her brother. Still, she created more trouble for him than she helped him.

For a time, the situation between the two sides entered a stalemate and neither could gain the advantage. However, the siblings could only keep fighting so efficiently for so long. They were almost out of stamina and under the relentless assault of the goblins, they committed more and more mistakes. 

"Argh." Trent let out a scream as he was stabbed in the side by a goblin. Flustered, he quickly swung his sword at the goblin that stabbed him and managed to kill him.

Afterward, he pressed his wound and wildly wave this sword in front of him to keep the goblins away.

"AH, brother." Levina screamed and rushed towards her brother.

"Don't come. Groan... Stay focused." Trent ordered with a muffled groan.

However, Levina didn't listen to her brother and stubbornly rushed towards him. "Brother, what should I do?" She asked as he looked at the gaping hole on her brother's side.

"You...Sigh...Cough, cough... Levina, listen to me. Things aren't looking good for us. Please find an opportunity to escape. I don't know how long I would be able to hang on." Trent said, his voice was weak and his forehead was drenched in sweat.  

"But, Brother, sob..sob." Levina cried as she supported her brother.

"SHUT UP AND GO. Cough...If you don't, I will kill you myself. Cough." Unable to take it anymore, Trent lashed out at Levina and pushed her away.

Chwiik...Chwiikkk... Now that Trent, the main fighting force of the siblings, was injured, the goblins didn't seem to be in a rush anymore. Slowly, they walked towards the siblings as they enjoyed the despair on their faces and greedily eyed Levina. They were like hunters enjoying the last struggle of their prey, confident that it would be unable to escape them.

'Tsk, that's so ridiculous. I think I should step in now. With his injury, he wouldn't last long and I don't think they would try to do anything foolish after I save them.' Leo thought and chose his first target. There were currently five goblins alive on the battlefield. Leo chose a random goblin and bolted towards it. It was at the back of the group, a little isolated and close to him, a perfect target. Without hesitation, Leo crouched on the branch and pounced towards the goblin. In an instant, Leo reached the clueless goblin and landed on its head. 

Crunch. When he landed, his claws were already extended and they sank inside the goblin head. Without any difficulty, his claws broke through the goblin's skull and stabbed its brain, instantly killing it. Chwiik. With a startled cry, the goblin drew its last breath and fell on the ground with a heavy thud.

'One..' Leo muttered as he jumped from the goblin body and ran towards another one. Luckily for him, the goblins weren't paying attention and he reached his next target before being noticed. 

'Huh, what just happened.' Trent muttered as he looked, surprised at the goblin that just died. He was paying attention to all the goblins and he was able to witness Leo attack. Even then, all he saw was a shadow streaking through the sky and hitting the goblin on the head. The next thing he knew the goblin was lying dead on the grass and the shadow was already rushing toward another goblin. Startled, Trent raised his guard and started to slowly back off.

Meanwhile, Leo reached another goblin and slashed its Achilles heel. Chwiik. The goblin let out a panicked cry and looked down to see what suddenly attacked it. When the goblin saw Leo, it lifted the stick in its hand to attack him. Leo easily dodged the attack and continued to run around the goblin while slashing around its ankle area. Despite its struggle, the goblin was unable to hit Leo and after a few more cuts it was unable to stand up.

"Two...Hehe...Kneel before this king." Leo chuckled as the goblin ankle gave in and it fell forward.

Chwiik...Chwiik... As it fell down the goblin let out panicked and louder cries and finally attracted the attention of its companions. What greeted them when they turned around was the sight of Leo ripping the throat of the goblin. Furious, the three goblins rushed towards Leo, not caring a bit about Trent and Levina. For them, the siblings were already defeated and they could take care of them anytime they wanted.

'Oops, look like they saw me.' Leo grinned at the goblins that were charging towards him. While it would be a hassle to take care of the three at the same time, Leo wasn't the slightest afraid.

'And you, how will you react?' Leo glanced at Trent that was pressing on his wound. Now that the goblins had turned their attention towards another target the smartest choice would be to take his sister and run away. And just like Leo expected, that was what he did. Without hesitation, he took the hands of his sister and ran away. 

'Tsk.' Leo turned his attention towards the goblins. The forerunner was already close to him, so Leo jumped on its face and slashed its eyes, blinding him. Shriek... The goblin let out a shriek as it fell and started rolling on the ground while grabbing his face.

'Gimme a minute.' Leo muttered and jumped towards the second goblin. The goblin tried to attack him with its stick but Leo just slapped it away with his tail and successfully reached the goblin. This time, he directly aimed for the kill and ripped the goblin throat. By the time the last goblin reached him, the second goblin was already dead. 

'Pui..You don't taste good. Three..'  Leo muttered as he spat the blood of the goblin out. Turning towards the last goblin, Leo bared his teeth and slowly walked towards it.

Now that he was alone and all his companions were dead, the last goblin started feeling fear and its survival instinct kicked in. Ch..ch.wii. With a low cry, it turned around and tried to run away. Alas, it was too late for him. Pouncing on its back, Leo made it fall and made quick work of it with his claws.

'Four... Now the last one.'  Leo muttered as he walked towards the goblin he blinded and killed it.

'Five..Victory.' Leo grinned and looked at the battlefield around him. Afterward, he quickly ran away, such a bloody battlefield was bound to attract some troublesome fellows and Leo had neither the intention nor the energy to deal with them. 

Meanwhile, Trent and Levina after running for a while stopped under a tree to catch their breath and take care of their wounds.

"Say, brother, why did that beast help us?" Levina asked her brother while bandaging the wounds on his side.

"I don't know. Maybe it was just trying to take advantage of our fight. Anyway, we were lucky it didn't attack us first and went after the goblin." Trent replied. Unlike his sister, he never thought that Leo was trying to help them. As far as he was concerned, beasts were vicious creatures that only knew how to kill and were enemies of humanity. As an adventurer, he had fought countless beasts and he could dare to say that he understood their nature. For him, there was no way a beast would help humans out of goodwill.

"Hum, understand." Levina said 

"Let's go. The forest isn't safe, and we don't know if that beast would come after us." Trent said as he struggled to stand up.

"Ok brother." Levina said as he helped her brother up and the two of them slowly walked out of the forest.

Back to Leo, after leaving the battlefield, he headed towards the stream and happily cleaned his body.

'Ha, with this I have paid my last tribute to humanity. The next time I will act without any inhibition. ' Leo muttered as he drank the water from the stream. When he was fighting against the goblins, Leo clearly saw how wary of him the two siblings were. He was clearly helping them but there wasn't a single trace of gratitude in their eyes and they didn't think twice before running away and leaving him alone to deal with the goblins.

'It is normal for them to behave like this since I am a beast and they are human. We are from different species and there is no relation between us. It is I who is weird for trying to help them.' 

'If it was two beasts fighting together, would I even think about saving one? If I was the one in danger, would a human try to save me? Certainly not.' Leo muttered. So why was his first thought saving the siblings and not killing them? Well, after living as a human for so many years he was already used to thinking of human life as something very valuable, more valuable than any other creature's life. This way of thinking made him instinctively want to help the siblings when he saw them in danger. However, now, he is a beast and has nothing to do with humans anymore.

What he saw when he stared at his reflection in the water wasn't a human but a beast, a shadow cat to be precise. If he wanted to have a long life he had to stop thinking like a human. Maybe the next time he saw a human, they would directly try to kill him and at that time he couldn't afford to hesitate. He was sure the human wouldn't.

'Now that I think about it, they could have given me a good bit of Exp. And here I just let them go. Plus they are ungrateful people. What a waste.' Leo muttered and stomped angrily on the ground. 

Now that he was done cleaning himself, he looked for another tree and climbed it. It was time to check his reward.

Without hesitation, he opened the system and checked the notification he received during the fight.

[You have killed a Rank E Goblin. You have received 40 Exp and 15 SC]

[You have killed a Rank E Goblin. You have received 45 Exp and 17 SC]

[You have killed a Rank E Goblin. You have received 50 Exp and 17 SC]

[You have killed a Rank E Goblin. You have received 35 Exp and 17 SC]

[You have killed a Rank E Goblin. You have received 40 Exp and 17 SC]

'Tsk, just a little more and I would have gained a level. Truly a waste.' Leo scowled as he recalled the siblings. 

[Congratulations, you have completed a mission.]

[You have received: Skill card ×1, Level +1, 3AP, Random potion ×1.]

[Your rewards are inside the inventory.]

[You have leveled up. You have received 5 AP and 2SP.]

[Congratulations, you have reached level 5. 

[Shadow cloak has leveled up. Shadow cloak is now level 3.]

[Dash has leveled up. Dash is now level 3.]

[Scratch has leveled up. Scratch is now level 3.]

'Hoho, that's quite the haul. Everything went up and I received a new skill. I can't wait to try it.' Leo muttered and opened his inventory to check the skill card and the random potion. He already knew about the skill card, so he was more eager about the potions. What kind of potions would it be?

Hello. Hope you all good. 

Today's chapter is here. Enjoy it.

Only by making mistakes can one truly improve. 

So how do you find the story so far? I really hope you are enjoying it. Don't hesitate to let me know if there are mistakes or if you find anything about the story that I could improve.

Thank you for reading. You are the best.

59