Chapter Eleven: The Cookoff
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was time for the main meal. I had one hour. I planned to make a garlic shrimp scampi I had made a few times before. I grabbed fettuccine, garlic, butter, parsley, shrimp, and a lemon. I didn’t completely remember the amount of each ingredient in the recipe, but I figured I could just taste test.

First, I boiled water. Then I got a cutting board and minced my garlic and parsley. Once the water was boiling, I put a generous amount of salt and cooked the fettuccine. Then I took off the tails of the shrimp. In a pan, I heated the butter and let the garlic brown. Then I added the shrimp. When the shrimp was cooked halfway through, I added red pepper flakes and lemon juice.

After the shrimp were cooked, I turned off the flame and drained the pasta. Then I got a big pan and mixed the fettuccine with the sauce and shrimp. Then I twirled the pasta into a mound and added more shrimp. Then I drizzled everything with more sauce and added some chopped parsley to the top.

I finished with minutes to spare. I looked over at Matthew and saw he was doing a steak. Soon judging time arrived. I was judged first like last time.

“Pasta is al dente. Sauce is good. Shrimp is cooked through. 10 points.”

“Nice presentation. 9 points.”

“A little too dry for me. 9 points.”

Then they moved to Matthew’s.

“This is some good steak. 9 points.”

“The sauce is good. I would have liked it if the steak was cooked a little less. 8 points.”

“Amazing. 10 points.”

I was two points ahead. Lastly, dessert. I was going to make some brownies. I had 45 minutes, which was more than enough. I ran into the pantry and grabbed cocoa powder, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, vanilla extract, two chocolate bars, and some chocolate chips. 

I made the batter quickly and then roughly chopped the chocolate bars. Then I added the chocolate to the brownies along with some chocolate chips. I put it in the oven.

While I was waiting, I grabbed some more chocolate and melted it. Then I tempered the chocolate. After the brownies were done, I put them in the freezer to quickly cool them down. I grabbed some cold ice cream and got a heart scoop. Then I pour the tempered chocolate over it and put that in the freezer as well. After five minutes, I cut the brownies into pieces and put the chocolate covered ice cream scoop on the brownie piece. Then I cut some strawberries to decorate.

It was judging time.I went first.

“That’s chocolatey. 10 points.”

“That ice cream scoop was the perfect topping. 10 points.”

“Good brownies. 10 points.”

Then it was Matthew’s turn. He had made cookies and served them with a glass of milk.

“Chewy, melt chocolate. That's what makes a good cookie. 10 points.”

“10 points.”

Nice. 10 points.”

I had won! I laughed happily. The middle judge smiled and said, “We have a winner! Chef Amruta wins the Cook Off!”

I smiled as the world went blurry as I was teleported again.

0