Chapter Two: Hot Coffee
4.6k 8 218
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“All I’m saying is that it’s ridiculous that academic merit determines how well you do in life, you know?” Ran argued. The discussion had sparked towards the end of class. The teacher had not expected an argument about class to break out during French Literature -- although, considering French history, she probably should have -- and several groups of students were still debating the topic. Ran was currently trying to explain his ideas to Dean like he would to a ten-year-old, partially because Dean was being obtuse like one. 

“If people can’t be bothered to work hard in college,” Dean said, “then why should we trust them to work hard when they’re, oh, I don’t know, doctors?” He crossed his arms, like he’d made a good and solid point, making the appropriate smug face to go with it. Ran rolled his eyes as they walked down the hall. 

“First off, you’re implying that people without college degrees don’t work hard, which is just flat wrong.” Ran held up a finger. “Second, that’s assuming everyone can afford to go to college, which is also wrong, and don’t give me any of that ‘well, their parents should have worked harder’ bullshit.”

“I mean, they should have,” Dean shrugged. “Just take out a loan.” 

“Most people are still paying off their own student loans, Dean! And that’s not even the point! The point is that college tests, like, one skill -- the ability to study for tests -- and then somehow you deserve to earn more money. Like, if it was true that ‘I work more so I deserve to make more money’, then people working fast food just as many hours should get paid just as much, right?”

“What, like it’s hard to flip burgers all day?”

“If it was easy, why don’t you do it, dickhead?” Ran was getting seriously fed up. Dean was one of Randall’s oldest friends and had come to the same college as him -- out of convenience, mostly -- but they’d drifted apart in recent years. Dean had been hanging out with the wrong crowd (guys from law and marketing) and their views had been getting less and less compatible, to the point where Ran was wondering if putting in the effort to maintain their friendship was even worth it anymore. 

Dean was starting to formulate a response, and was promptly interrupted. “But that doesn’t make any mo-nee,” Amelia said in a mocking tone. “Don’t even bother. He’s got fallacies so far up his sleeves they’re running down his pants.” Ran turned to her in surprise. He didn’t know she was also taking the course, and hadn’t spotted her in the auditorium. On the other hand, a surprising number of people had joined the course, if only because the rumour was that the teacher was easily distracted and that this made the class essentially a free credit. 

“I mean, it doesn’t--” Dean started, but a glare from Ran shut him up, and he frowned back. “What, you’re going to take the side of the goth chick?” Ran shrugged and looked at Amelia. She did look kind of extra today, admirably so. Her purple lipstick slightly smeared, her hair strategically messy. She made it work. The leather jacket was just the cherry on top. “Bet you she’s a lesbian, too,” Dean said. 

“Got it in one, bucky,” Amelia said, finger guns at the ready. “See, you do get things right sometimes.”

“Nothing wrong with that,” Ran said. “Don’t be an asshole.” 

“She’s not going to fuck you, man.” Dean said.

“Actually, us goths all had a meeting yesterday,” Amelia said, “and we unanimously agreed that you’re the one none of us are fucking. Sorry, buddy. Better luck next time!”

“Who said that I--”

“Can you try saying that without looking at my tits, sweetheart? It’s undercutting your point.” Amelia smirked with satisfaction. Dean’s face of flustered anger was pretty funny, Ran had to admit. And she did catch him in the act.

“Fuck off,” Dean said. “C’mon Randall. Stop simping and let’s grab something to eat.” He started to walk away, but Randall made no efforts to follow him. Dean only ever used his full name when he was annoyed, either not knowing or not caring that he disliked being called that, especially to his face. It was weirdly like being condescended to.

“I think I’m good,” Ran said. “Full offense, but you’re being a dickweasel and I’m not in the mood to get food with you and your ‘actually smart people are worth more’ attitude.”

To society.” Dean said, in a hole and still digging. “They’re worth more to soc--”

“Enjoy your lunch,” Amelia said with a big smile. “Definitely tell the server what you think of their worth. I’m sure they won’t spit in your food. I’ll make sure Ran is well taken care of.”

“Wait, how do you know his name?” Dean asked, frozen in place and looking between the two of them. 

“I told you babe, we all got together yesterday. We’re not fucking you, but we’re undecided on him yet. He’s got good politics, so he might get a pass.” She winked at Dean, baring her frighteningly white teeth. She seemed like the kind of person to wear vampire fangs, so not seeing any was almost disappointing. “Now be a good boy and fuck off, yeah?”

“See you tomorrow, Dean,” Ran said, waving. He turned around and started walking away before Dean could come up with a rebuttal that would make him feel less brave in a second. He was already feeling a little weak in the knees. Confrontation wasn’t his thing. 

“You know,” Amelia said, catching up to him, “for someone who is uncomfortable with queer people you’re awful quick to come to bat for us.” Ran shrugged, trying to hide his blushing. 

“I’m uncomfortable around tigers, but that doesn’t mean I think they shouldn’t be protected,” he said. 

“Oh, so we’re animals to you, is that it?” Amelia asked, her face expressionless. Ran stared at her for a second and then, tentatively, smiled. 

“You’re fucking with me again,” he said. Amelia broke into a wide grin. 

“Got me,” she giggled. “You learn quick. I see why Rachel likes you.” Ran tried not to let that get to his head. Rachel was cool, of course, but he distinctly wasn’t and getting blatant confirmation that he had made a good impression on someone was the kind of thing that would be echoing in his head for a few days. “But the comparison with tigers...” Amelia said, stopping and turning to face him. He did the same. “Is it because we… intimidate you?” Her eyes big, she took a step closer. Instinctively, Ran took a step back. Amelia seemed to be trying to get a glimpse of his brain through his pupils, and he swallowed.

“N-No,” he managed. “You’re just… y’know… endangered and unjustly persecuted.”

“Well, we do also eat gazelle whole,” Amelia said, backing off and shrugging, turning to walk again.

“Who are the gazelle in this metaphor?” Ran asked.

“Metaphor?” They both chuckled and just walked wordlessly for a bit. The apartment really was quite close to the college building, and it was sunny out. A walk was always nice. “How’s Rachel, by the way?” Amelia finally asked, breaking the silence. 

“She’s doing well,” Ran said. “Still settling in, enjoying her classes, I think. Took her a bit to get out of bed the other day, like you predicted.” Amelia just nodded sagely. 

“It be like that sometimes,” she said. “She’s very susceptible to my feminine wiles.”

“She, uh, really mentioned that she likes me?” Ran asked, trying -- and failing -- to come off as casual and barely interested.

“Woah there, cowboy,” Amelia said with her now-trademark smirk. “But yeah, she mentioned that she feels comfortable having you as a roommate. She mentioned feeling ‘distinctly un-threatened’ by you, which you ought to know is definitely a good thing.”

“I’ll do my best to take it as a compliment, then,” Ran said. “Speaking of Rachel, I gotta head off this way.” He pointed down the street. “Anything you want me to mention to her?”

“Oh, I’m going that way too, what a coincidence.” Amelia said innocently. “There’s a cute girl waiting for me, so there’s no need for you to pass along any message.”

“Is it Ra--”

“It’s Rachel,” Amelia grinned. “Very sweet of you to offer, though.” Ran felt like he was being mocked somewhat, but he very suddenly got to enjoy the mounting anxiety of being around Rachel and Amelia while they were, presumably, going to make things difficult for him, just by being lovey-dovey or something with him also there.

“Well, in that case,” he said as he walked up to their front door, “uh… come in, I guess.” He held the door open for Amelia, who gave him a polite curtsy. 

“Thank you, good sir,” she said in the worst British accent he’d possibly ever heard. They walked in together and saw Rachel sitting on the sofa, typing away furiously on her laptop. She looked up when they got in and Ran very distinctly did not stare. Staring was something for weirdos, and Ran was not… well, he wasn’t that kind of weirdo, at least. In his defense, Rachel was very pretty. Especially when she smiled the way she was smiling right now. She always seemed genuinely happy to see him, although in this case it was probably because of Amelia. Still, she was one of those people who brightened up a room just by being in it. Sure, it was summer, but her summer dress and her hair up in a messy bun made it feel like summer. Rachel was warm, in a good way.

“Heya,” she said, brushing some hair behind her ear and putting her laptop aside. Was she nervous? Probably because of Amelia, Ran figured. “You two got to know each other already, yeah?”

“Yup!” Amelia said, tossing her bag aside with little regard and taking off her leather jacket. “He’s a good boy, Rache. He’s a comrade, can confirm.”

“Sweet, knew I had a good feeling about him,” Rachel said. 

“I’m right here, you know,” Ran said with mock indignation, trying to ignore the tension mounting in his stomach. 

“I know,” Rachel said, having the gall to wink at him like it didn’t make him want to hide in his room. She’d already been playful, of course, but she was clearly even more so around Amelia. She got up and walked over. 

“Uh oh,” Amelia said to Ran. “Best avert your eyes. Safer that way.” She clearly looked ready to say more, but Rachel had already wrapped her arms around Amelia’s neck and was actively pulling her in. 

“Shut up,” Rachel mumbled into the kiss, and Ran did as he was told, looking away. Not that he was the kind to stand there and gawk, but their privately public display of affection still made him feel weird. Not that he had mentioned it to Rachel. He knew she’d stop if he asked, but he didn’t want her to feel uncomfortable in her own home. Besides, his own discomfort was probably deeply rooted in some latent insecurity and maybe even bigotry, and that should probably be addressed first, right? It had nothing to do with the fact that he felt almost inadequate next to two beautiful women like that. Like, the fact that he would probably never have a relationship like that, a girl like Rachel smiling into the kiss, wasn’t even his own fault. He was just born as a guy, and relationships like that were always different, after all. 

“Uh,” he said, taking off his own backpack and awkwardly shuffling into the room, “either of you want coffee or something?” Rachel and Amelia pulled apart for a second and looked at each other thoughtfully.

“What do you think?” Rachel asked. 

“Ehh. I could eat, actually.”

“Oh, well, we can grab someth--” Rachel began, until she noticed Amelia’s fiercely bouncing eyebrows. “Oh!” She bit her lip and guiltily looked at Ran. “We’re good, Ran. Thanks.” She started to walk to her bedroom, Amelia walking lazily behind her with her hands in her pockets. 

“Uh, okay,” Ran said, blushing furiously.

“Let us know if we’re being too loud, alright?”

“Will do!” Ran lied, and made sure his headphones were charged.

Chapter 2! Things take a turn for the awkward, and Ran is a baby. I'm very curious what all of you think of these characters, so please let me know what you think below :) 

If you want to read more right away, a lot of it is already published on my Patreon, along with a lot of as-of-yet unpublished stuff, and even some completely exclusive works. It's not expensive, and it really does help me out a lot!

ALSO: follow me on twitter, I crave validation. 

Other than that, I'll see you in the next one!

Heck,

Ela

PS: it's my birthday! You should subscribe to my patreon as a present :p

218