6. Photoshoot and Work
99 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When we got to the site, the producer ran up to Tina and greeted her warmly.

“Hello! Welcome to the photoshoot! It’s nice to see you again, Tina.”

“Likewise, Mark.”

Mark was taller than me. He was about 5’10, had brown hair, and hazel eyes. His build was muscular, but not buff. He looked like a model.

He then looked at me.

“And who might you be?”

I had my eyes closed the whole time until he spoke to me.

I opened my eyes to look at him and introduced myself.

“My name is Shay. I’ll be in your care for this photoshoot.”

“He’s the model?” Mark turned to Tina.

“Yes.”

“I don’t know… He doesn’t look like he has potential.”

“Give him a chance. I believe in him.”

He looked back at me, who had my eyes closed again.

“Open your eyes, kid.”

I opened them and looked directly in his eyes.

His eyes widened for a moment as he looked at me, then regained their normal size.

“Confidence, I like it.” He moved closer to me and put his face directly across from mine. Our noses were about an inch apart. He just stood there, staring into my eyes. Then he backed away after what felt like an eternity.

“You have beautiful eyes. You have a small chance of actually doing good. I wish you the best. Let’s get you changed and ready.”

What’s with everyone getting in my face today?

We went to the changing room and he handed me some clothes. It was a black sleeveless shirt and jeans. I changed out of my clothes and into the new ones in a couple minutes.

I was taken to the stylist section and the man, whose name was Kevin, styled my hair.

Kevin had black hair, black eyes, and was 5’11. He was very friendly.

“Kevin, how long have you been styling hair?”

“A little over 12 years.”

“Woah! What styles do you like?” Even though I needed to keep my head still, it didn’t stop me from expressing my amazement and fascination.

“Hm. I like to do all different styles. How about you? Do you like to wear any specific styles?”

“I don’t really style my hair, but I did a side part once.”

“Oh? Can I do it again?”

“Sure.”

“Who did the side part you mentioned earlier?”

“I did.”

“You styled your own hair?”

“Yeah. It was simple and looked presentable.”

“Agreed. Side parts look good and are simple to do. Wait, do you style hair?”

“Yeah.”

“Awesome! Finally someone I can bond with!”

“You don’t have other stylist friends?”

“Nope.”

“Why? Aren’t there many stylists per photoshoot?”

“Well, they’re all conceited and their personalities aren’t the best, if you get what I mean.”

“I get what you mean, but you’re the first stylist I’ve met so far.”

“Wait, really?”

“Yeah. This is my first time modeling.”

“Oh, I see. Well, that explains a lot. But don’t worry. I think you’ll be just fine.”

“I hope so.”

“And done! You’ll need to go to the cosmetics department.”

“Alright. Thanks for your help, Kevin.”

“Of course! Here’s my number. If you want some help or if you want to talk, call me. I’ll head over anytime.”

“Got it, thanks.”

I sent a message to his number, letting him know it was me.

I walked over to the cosmetics section and was greeted by a shorter woman who was about 5’6 and had ginger hair.

“Hi! You must be the model! I’m Autumn and I’ll do your makeup today.”

“Thank you. I’ll be in your care.”

“Hehe of course! This way please.”

I followed her and sat down in a seat in front of a mirror.

She started cleaning my face to make sure the makeup wouldn’t harm my skin or look rough.

“Hm, what a shame,” she said, her expression a little regretful.

“What is?”

“Your skin is so nice, it would be a waste to put makeup on it.”

“My skin?”

“Yes. It has no flaws that I can spot. However, I have to put something on because it’s my job.”

“Please take care of me.”

“Likewise. I’ll just put on some very basic primer and a small bit of eyeshadow.”

“Okay.”

“You can’t have a smile on your face. Just look at yourself in the mirror.”

I nodded slightly to let her know I understood.

She started putting the primer on and then applied some brown eyeshadow.

When she finished, she directed me towards the producer. I had met Mark again.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“Shay.”

“Oho? You look not too shabby! Let’s get ready! Go onto the stage and listen to whatever the photographer says.”

“Yes sir.”

I walked to the stage and saw the photographer getting their camera set up.

The stage was a cafe with brick walls. It was kind of like a tavern. The prep sections, such as the cosmetics, design, changing rooms, and styling sections were behind the camera.

“Sit at the table and hold the drink in your hand.” There was a prop on the table.

I did as instructed and heard a few clicks.

“Next, pull out your phone and wander around on it.”

A few more clicks sounded.

I waited for more instructions as I wasted my phone battery.

“No good! We need to fix a few things.”

I nodded and went off the stage.

As I passed by, the producer and photographer were in a discussion.

“He’s like an amateur! It’s not good. I can’t get the shot I want,” the photographer said.

“Well, what do we do? We don’t have enough time to get a new model,” Mark answered.

“What image do you want? Do you want the clothes to match the scene or the scene to match the clothes?” The designer butted in.

“The scene to match the clothes,” the photographer answered.

“I have an idea.” I decided to join the conversation.

“Then let’s hear it,” Mark replied.

I walked to the door we entered through and looked outside at the parking lot.

There was a large van for carrying the equipment and props, multiple cars because there were a lot of people present at the set, and a motorcycle not too far away. As soon as I spotted it, I knew what to do.

“Is that motorcycle anyone’s?”

“Motorcycle?” Mark asked.

“It’s mine,” Kevin said behind the group and raised his hand.

“Can I use it?” I asked.

“Use?”

“Like as a prop?”

“Sure.”

The crew walked outside with me and watched the photoshoot.

I walked up to the photographer and asked a question.

“What image are you looking for, or what feeling do you want when you look at the picture?”

“I want a bad boy look that gives a dangerous and dominant feeling, like the person in the photo can do anything. If you can add in a sexy feel, that'd be great.”

“Got it.”

I went over to the motorcycle and leaned on it. I crossed my legs and put my left hand in my pocket. I looked away from the camera for a side profile.

Continuous clicks sounded. I then looked at the camera and smirked. 

“Good, good! Beautiful!”

I walked over to Kevin.

“Am I allowed to get on it?”

“Yeah. It’s a prop for now, so do anything you want to it. Just don’t damage it.”

“Thank you.”

“Shay, come here for a moment.”

The producer called out to me.

I appeared in front of Mark and he handed me sunglasses.

“Here. Use this.”

“Okay.” I took the sunglasses and proceeded to pose for the camera.

I slid them down to the top of my nose, angled my head down, and looked at the camera with a half smile. Clicks sounded. I then winked at the camera and more slicks were heard.

Mark handed me a new cigarette that wasn’t lit and told me to use it as well.

I sat on the bike and held the cigarette in my hand as I looked at the camera. Clicks were heard. Then I put the cigarette in my mouth and put on a devilish grin.

‘This isn’t working.’ There was a helmet on the handlebar of the motorcycle.

I asked Mark if I could have a bottle of water. He agreed and handed me one.

“Tired already? It’s only been a couple hours,” Mark asked.

“Nope.” I said as I opened the bottle of water. I drank some, then put some water in my hand and combed my fingers through my hair.

It was wet, but not soaked, so the style remained intact. I then put a smaller amount of water in my hand and let it drip on my face so that it looked like I was sweaty.

Some of the staff oohed and aahed. Tina, who was watching everything, had a satisfied look on her face.

I went back to the bike and continued to pose. The entire shoot took about 3 hours and I went through about 6 different costume changes.

When I finished changing back into my original outfit, the photographer showed me some of the photos. I was wiping the makeup off my face as we talked.

The photos the photographer took were good.

“What are they for?” I asked.

“It’s a new clothing line called Thread & Tread Apparel.”

“Ooh! Interesting.”

“Yep! But I’m only a photographer, so I can’t linger around on one clothing line. Do you want one of your pictures?”

“Sure. I don’t know which one.”

“I’ll pick the best one for you.”

“Thanks. Here’s my email.”

Mark walked up to me after the photographer left.

“Not bad. Not bad at all. How many times have you modeled?”

“This is my first time.”

“Since it’s your firs-- wait what?”

“It’s my first time.”

“I thought you were experienced! What do you mean, first?!”

“Ah, well, you know…” I couldn’t finish my sentence before Mark ran over to Tina with me in tow.

“This is his first time?!”

“Yes, what about it?”

“I asked you to bring me someone with experience!” Mark had a smile on his face.

“Well, I believed in him, so that should be enough.”

“Enough?! Really?!? This child… this child is a diamond!”

“Oho. I know.” She laughed triumphantly.

“How did you find him? Where did you find him?!”

“You know, just strolling around in the mall, looking at some stores.”

“You’re lying. I don’t believe it.”

“You’ll need to, because it’s the truth!” Tina was beside herself in joy.

“Cough cough” Mark lightly coughed to compose himself.

“Okay, so the next time I need a model, please bring him.”

“Hoho. Glad you’re so fond of him.”

Mark then turned to me.

“How old are you?”

“Seventeen.”

“Great! You have a lot to grow. You can also start your career at a young age. As a gift, keep the  first set of clothes you wore and I’ll pay you what you earned.”

"Thank you!”

“Don’t mention it. Here’s your pay and the clothes you wore. We’ll see a lot of each other from now on.”

“I hope so. Thank you for this opportunity.”

We left the site after I bid farewell to the crew and thanked them for their hard work.

The photographer and I were emailing back and forth. He sent me  the picture of the side view and of me smirking. The side view was in black and white, while the other one was in color. The photographer was good. The pictures came out well.

Kevin and I texted each other as well. We talked about a lot of things. We have a lot in common.

[So, Shay, you said earlier that you did a side part, right?]

(Yeah, why?)

[Was it as good as mine?]

(Probably not. You’re really good. And you’re so cool! I didn’t know you rode a motorcycle!)
[Yeah. She’s my precious baby.]

(Does she have a name?)

[Yeah. Veronica.]

(Well, she was gorgeous! Whatever bike she is, she’s beautiful.)

[She’s a CVO Limited.]

(Oh? I wish I could ride one. We could ride together one day if I learn.)

[I can teach you if you want.]

(REALLY?!)

[Yeah. When do you have time?]

(I’ll ask my boss.)

[Also what do you want to learn how to ride? Some styles are not for everyone.]

(Hm, let me see...)

(Kawasaki Ninja, is this a good one?)

[Woah. You got some balls on you. Luckily I have a friend who has one.]

(Awesome! Thanks so much!)

[Don’t mention it. Anything for a friend. Especially one who shares my interests.]

(My heart.. I’m touched.)

[Before we ride, I’ll ask you to style my hair if it’s okay.]

(What a funny thing to say, of course I’ll style it for you.)

[Awesome. Until then. Let me know when you have time.]

(Got it.)

And the conversation ended like that. Tina was peering over my shoulder, looking at me texting.

“So you’re going to learn how to ride a motorcycle? It’s not a bad idea.”

“You think so? Will I have time?”

“If you can work efficiently.”

“Yes Boss!”

 

We reached the penthouse and went separate ways. I went to my room and put the clothes I got from the shoot away and put the envelope of cash I got from the producer in a corner of my room.

After that, I went to the kitchen and looked through the fridge. I had not gotten anything to eat today, so I had to get something.

Tina, who was in her room, came out.

“Shay. Do you want anything to eat?”

“Can you make anything?”

“No, I don’t have time to learn.”

“Oh. Well then, want me to make something simple?”

“Sure.”

Since Tina gave me liberty to do what I wanted in the kitchen, I took full advantage of it.

About a half hour later, dinner was done. Tina came from the living room back into the kitchen.

“Something smells good!” She was directly behind me as I was getting plates down. 

Since she was taller, she had to get the plates down instead. I was too short.

She put food on her plate and I got some as well.

It was eggs, hash browns, and bacon. It was quite literally breakfast for dinner.

“SO GOOD!” Tina had just taken a bite. “Compliments to the chef!” She winked at me.

“Thanks.” I was a little shy because I’d only really cooked for me and Annika.

“...” I looked down as I thought about her.

‘I miss her.’

“Stop thinking about her.” Tina told me. She had a stern face.

“Okay okay.” I proceeded to eat.

We finished and I cleaned up. Tina would make me work starting tomorrow, so I had to get a good night’s sleep.

 

The next day, I got ready for work. I parted my hair, put on the sweater, jeans, and Off-white shoes. I cooked breakfast for Tina and I as well and we left. 

Tina was in her office, behind her desk and I was 5 meters away, facing her.

“You’re going to go to the Styling department from 8-12 Floor 19, then the cosmetology department from 1-3 floor 30, then to the clothing and design department from 3:30-6:30 Floor 12. Then you’re free. You may do what you want in your free time. Just make sure that if you’ve got something to attend to, let me know beforehand.”

“Yes Boss.”

And off I went.

Since Tina was in the middle building, which was the cosmetology building, I had to walk pretty far.

I went down the elevator and wandered around like an idiot for at least 10 minutes before someone asked me if I needed help. There were no signs, so I kind of had to find the place for myself.

“Hello, are you lost?” A woman with luscious brown hair and big brown eyes tapped me on the shoulder.

“Yes, can you help?”

“Sure! Are you waiting for someone or do you need to go somewhere?”

“I need to go to floor 19 of the styling department…?”

“What a coincidence! I’m heading there!”

“Oh. If you would be so kind as to direct me.”

“Sure! Follow me.”

I followed the woman to floor 19 of the styling department.

“I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Charity. I’m the head stylist.”

I nodded. “I’m Shay. I’ll be in your care. I’m new, so please take care of me.”

“Okay, newbie. I’ll show you what your role will be.”

We reached the floor and she walked me through my duties. I needed to display my skill on a person.

Fortunately, there was someone who booked an appointment and was waiting in the styling chair.

I walked over to her.

“What would you like?”

She looked at my reflection in the mirror, widened her eyes, and smiled.

“Shoulder length, and curled.”

“Yes ma’am.” 

I pulled her hair back. It was a brownish red color. I took the scissors that were on the table in front of the mirror and cut her hair a little longer than shoulder length.

Her hair used to be to her middle back, but now it was shoulder length.

I used a comb and scissors to even out the line.

Charity was watching me like a hawk, so it was pretty stressful.

This was also my first time cutting someone’s hair short.

I guess it was the second time, if you consider Annika, but it wasn’t much then.

I finished cutting her hair, then grabbed a curling iron and started curling the girl’s hair. Her face was a bright red for some unknown reason. She looked around 15, so two years younger than me.

I finished and told her to look at her hair in a bigger mirror. Charity brought her to the mirror room. It was exactly as it sounded.

A room filled with mirrors.

I went to the sink and cleaned the things I used and put the iron away.

When I finished, it was about the time when the girl came out of the mirror room.

She ran up to me and gave me her thanks.

“Thank you so much, Sir! I’ll come back and ask for you again!”

She was half a foot shorter than me, so it looked kind of cute.

“I’d be honored for you to come back.”

She gave me a big hug and walked out to her mom who was waiting for her.

Charity walked up to me and told me my results.

“Okay. So who did you work for before this?” 

“I didn’t? The only other jobs I have are at Starbucks and a barber shop.”

“Oh? So you made coffee and cut hair? What was the name of the shop?”

“I made coffee and swept the floor.”

“Oh? So you have no experience?”

“Well, I have some experience, but it was by chance.”

“Whatever it is, you’re good. I’ll put you on the appointments.”

“Awesome, thanks!”

“No need to thank me. What else can you do?”

“I can look at a hairstyle I’ve never done before and know how to do it.”

“OH?? GOLD!! I’ve found gold!” She grabbed my hands and asked earnestly, “How long will you be here?”

“Two months.”

“That’s too short! Please stay longer. I want to know everything about you.”

“I can’t. I’ve got school still and work.”

“But this is work and school is no problem. We can adjust your schedule.”

“Uh. I think you misunderstand. Let me explain.”

“Go ahead.”

“I’m not from here. I’m from the other side of the country. I go to school there and still have the jobs I mentioned before. I’m on leave for now, but for only two months because it’s summer.”

“Oh.. That’s disappointing.” She looked so sad. I thought she might actually cry.

“Yeah, sorry about that.”

“Then let’s make the most of the time we have!”

I finally finished my morning shift and wandered for the hour I had for lunch. I was broke because all the money that I earn is going to be for paying Tina back.

I walked around the buildings and found myself back at the cosmetology building.

It was time for my next shift. Before I walked into the room where I’d be working, I sent a text to Kevin that I get off of work at 6:30. I also told him that he can pick me up at OmniBeauty HQ.

He sent back an O.K and I proceeded with my day.

Finally, I went into the cosmetology department room on floor 30. 

This is how the buildings are put together. Here’s the basic layout.

 

Left Building: Styling

F1: Lobby

F2-20: Sales and appointments.

F21:40: Making products, chemistry labs, product ideas.

F41-47: Offices for workers and lounge.

F48-50: Big boss offices. The CBDO, CFO, COO, CMO, CIO, CCO, CLO, CTO, CRO, CCO, CCO, CAE, CDO, and CHRO.

Middle Building: Cosmetology

F1: Lobby

F2-20: Sales and appointments.

F21:40: Making products, chemistry labs, product ideas.

F41-47: Offices for workers and lounge.

F48-50: Big boss offices. The CEO, CBDO, CFO, COO, CMO, CIO, CCO, CLO, CTO, CRO, CCO, CCO, CAE, CDO, and CHRO.

F51: CEO Penthouse

Right Building: Design

F1: Lobby

F2-20: Sales and appointments.

F21:40: Making products, chemistry labs, product ideas.

F41-47: Offices for workers and lounge.

F48-50: Big boss offices. The CBDO, CFO, COO, CMO, CIO, CCO, CLO, CTO, CRO, CCO, CCO, CAE, CDO, and CHRO.

 

Basically I learned science in these three hours.

I happened to meet the cosmetics chief, Teagan.

He is 6'0 with light brown hair and blue eyes.

He’s not that nice, but we can work on it… I guess.

I only watched everything that went on around the labs and meetings. It was entertaining.

I then went to the design department’s floor 12. I spotted a familiar face immediately as I walked in.

It was Laura. The woman that talked with me when I first came to OBHQ. She walked over to me.

“Hello, welcome to the design department. I’m the chief designer here and you’ll be following me around and doing what I tell you to do.”

She was a little bossy, but I understand because it’s horrible when you have a subordinate who does not listen. Especially if you design things and they ruin it.

“Yes ma’am.”

“Come here and give me your opinions on this piece.”

It was a trench coat for women. It was brown and had a simple design.

“Hm.. If it does go into the market, then how much would it be?”

“How do you know it’s not already being sold?”

“Well, it looks like something I’d buy to practice on and modify.”

“Oh? How would you modify it?”

“Depends on the person’s needs.”

“What about the trends? Won’t you base your modifications off that?”

“No, why would I? If it’s a trend, then it’s not really original if my modifications are based on that.”

“Interesting. Tell me more.”

“Well, sure it’ll sell, but the type of thing that I do when I modify or design is to make them for the wearer. And of course, original. I want my creations to be what I make and not what someone else makes. But we do use the trends to predict possible future trends.”

“Good! I like you. Let’s continue our discussion.”

We talked about the designs we thought would work. She seemed to like my ideas as she agreed with my words.

And thus, we bonded over a trench coat and ideas. 

 

At 6:30, I called Tina.

“Hey, Boss.”

“Hello. Why did you call?”

“You told me to let you know if I’ve got something to do with my free time, so here I am.”

“Hm? What are you doing then?”

“I’m going to learn how to ride a motorcycle with Kevin.”

“Oh? Then don’t come back too late. I expect you to be back by 9:30 at the latest.”

“Yes ma’am. Thank you.”

“No problem.”

She hung up and I met with Kevin.

He was leaning on his motorcycle with a helmet in his hand.

He looked sharp. The sunset’s light made him look even more desirable to the ladies. He wore a red t-shirt, black leather jacket, black jeans, and converse. Some high school kids walking by looked at him, and started talking with their friends.

“He’s cute, isn’t he?”

“Cute is an understatement. He’s hot.”

“I’d ask him out if I could.”

“Why can’t you? Go for it!”

The group of high schoolers walked up to him and engaged him in conversation. I walked over to him as well. He looked over in my direction and waved to me.

I waved back and arrived next to him. The group of girls looked at me, then at him.

“And your friend is hot too! Can you guys take us out?”

“I’m sorry, ladies, but I’m teaching this little one how to ride a motorcycle.”

“That’s so sweet! Are you his big brother?”

“Nope. We’re friends.”

“And we need to get going because I’m on a curfew,” I interjected.

“Little one, you have a curfew? What time?” Kevin asked.

“9:30.”

“That’s barely any time. Let’s get going. Thank you ladies for keeping us company.” Kevin winked at the girls, tossed me the helmet, and put his on.

“Aw, it was nice seeing you, can we get your numbers?” One of the girls asked. Everyone looked hopeful. I declined and so did Kevin.

“Sorry, you all are underage.”

“Apologies as well. My phone can’t handle many contacts,” I said.

I got on the bike and Kevin drove away.

I haven't been writing lately due to laziness. This will happen a lot, so apologies in advance.

6