12. Discovery
102 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ah. You requested an appointment today at uh.. 8:30?”

“Oh, yes yes. Please come in.”

She stepped aside and welcomed me into her house.

“I didn’t expect you to be so young. How old are you?”

“I’m seventeen, ma’am.”

“Hm? Very admirable. You’ve accomplished a lot.”

“It’s only because of the opportunities I was given.”

“And humble. I like you! My son must have called for an appointment. I’ll call him down. Use the room over there.” She pointed at a room that looked like part of a salon.

“Yes ma’am.”

I went into the room and started unpacking my things. The only information I got from the agenda was that it had something to do with hair, so I packed the products Tina sent me a few months ago.

A boy who was about my age came down and entered the room I was in.

He leaned on the wall and watched me set up my things.

Without looking up from what I was doing, I initiated a conversation.

“You’re here, good. What would you like me to do for you?”

“I want braids and a design.”

“Alright. Do you want me to make something up, or do you have a picture or something I can use as a reference maybe?”

“Yeah.”

He came closer to me. I had finished unpacking my things. I looked up at him as he handed his phone to me.

Still crouched on the ground, I took the phone and looked at the picture.

It was cornrows in a complex pattern. Interesting. Looks like my hands will die this morning, instead of tonight.

“I see, and what about the design?”

“They don’t have it online, but I want a feather and birds with a star.”

“Oh? That sounds fun! Is it to symbolize freedom?”

“Yes. You’re the first person who guessed right.”

“Oh, awesome! I got you. Do you want it on both sides, the left side, or the right side?”

“Both.”

“Understood.”

I stood up, then looked at him.

He was tall. Maybe two inches taller than me. Since I was 5’11, he’d be 6’1. I wonder if he played sports or modeled.

He had dark brown eyes, brown skin, and black hair.

“Please sit down in the chair.”

He sat down, and I started to interrogate him.

“Do you have a sensitive scalp?”

“No.”

“Can you stay still for long periods of time?”

“Yes.”

“Do I have your consent to record this for my YouTube channel?”

“Hell yeah, go for it!”

“Alright then, let’s begin.”

I put on a hat with a camera on it, pressed record, then started to do my thing.

I started by separating each section.

Once I finished separating his hair, I started braiding it.

It took me a total of 2 hours to finish braiding his hair.

“Okay. I’m going to start on the design.”

“Yep.”

I started the design. It was really hard to do, considering how much time I had to work with. I had about 4 hours left until my next appointment.

I started on the feather. I didn’t shave it all right away.

I made the lines for the design and faded away accordingly.

The feather was huge, and in the design, I kept birds and a sunset.

I did the same for the other side of his head. Each side took about 40 minutes each. I finished it off at the back where I left a black outlined star. That only took 10 minutes.

When I finished, I took some pictures and ended the video. I put the hat back in my bag and spoke.

“Do you want me to blur your face for the video?”

“You don’t need to.”

“Alright. How does it look?”

He looked in the mirror and widened his eyes.

“It’s awesome! I knew I was right to ask you to do this for me.”

“It’s my honor.”

“Whatever you say, dude. I’ll go get your money.”

“Okay.”

I started packing up my things. Turns out, I didn’t need a lot of the things I brought out.

Once everything was put away, I stood in the room and waited for the client to return.

He came back and handed me an envelope.

I opened it and peeked inside.

The luxurious view of many hundred dollar bills filled my sight.

I closed it and thanked the client.

“Thank you very much. You have my business card, so you know where to contact me.”

“Actually, I don’t.”

“Huh? You don't…. what?”

“I don’t have your business card. I took a picture of it from a friend.”

“Oh. In that case, would you like it?”

It made me strangely happy to know he didn’t have my business card, but from someone else who had the card. This means that my name is being spread and people are noticing my efforts.

“Yeah. I’ll show this to others. Thanks, man.”

“No, thank you!”

“I’ll walk you out.”

“Sure.”

We walked out together and I got on my bike.

“Nice bike.”

“Thanks. I’ll see you around.”

“Yeah. Bye.”

With that, I left and rode back to OBHQ to put my supplies away.

The next place I had to go was a photoshoot site.

No, I was not modeling, but I was doing makeup.

When doing someone’s makeup, I have a separate collection of products for my clients. I picked up the makeup bag with all of my things in it and sped away to my next location.

I arrived at the place an hour later, just barely getting on time. I had to get to the place earlier because I needed to set up my things.

The parking lot was almost full. I found a motorcycle with an empty spot next to it, so I parked there.

“This bike looks familiar… It couldn’t be…” I muttered to myself. Pushing it aside for later, I headed to my area.

When I arrived at the site, I immediately looked for the makeup tent. I passed by the other tents to get to my area. 

Coincidently, Kevin was here as well.

‘So my hunch was right…’

“You…..” Kevin pointed at me and started trembling.

“Oh. Hi… ar- are you okay there?” I was startled for a moment, still doubting my eyes.

“You.. little…” Kevin walked closer to me, slowly. 

“Kevin.. Don’t get closer, I don’t want to die!”

“You little rascal! How dare you not tell me you were coming here???”

“I’m sorry, I wasn't aware you’d be here too!”

“And why is that?”

“Because...”

“Because what? Huh? Answer me.”

“Because I didn’t ask...” I admitted defeat.

“‘Because you hardly talked with me’ is the real answer, you antisocial kid. Oh, now you’ve done it, you little brat.”

“I’m not that much younger than you!”

“But you’re still younger than me! Ha!”

“It’s fine though, because you’ll get older faster. I’ll have the last laugh then.”

“Oh? You sure do have some balls to speak up to your senior.”

Kevin had his arm around my neck to keep me from running away.

“Huh? That’s weird. I thought you were shorter..” It was until now that he realized there was no height difference between us.

“Past tense, my friend. Past tense.”

He let me go and I stood up properly. We met each other’s eyes. The. Same. Height.

“Tch. Now I can’t bully you using my height. I can still do it using my age. You’ll never beat me.”

“Yes of course, your majesty.” I bowed.

“You little brat. Come here, let big brother teach you how to respect your elders!”

“No no. I can’t. I have work. I need to go, so bye!” I barely escaped before going to my tent.

The models arrived and I had just finished unpacking my things.

There were both guys and girls. I did their makeup to match their outfit and to make it look natural.

My job had been completed for toda--

“Wait, please. One more person is coming in!”

“Huh?”

A familiar woman with long, wavy black hair, thick eyebrows, and full lips raced into my section.

“Huuuuuuuhhhhh?!?!” I was so surprised that the brush in my hand almost dropped to the floor.

Before I knew it, Natalia, who I did my last modeling gig with, the previous summer, was right in front of me.

“Natalia?”

“Who are you? Wait. You look familiar.. Shay?”

“You remember my name?” I asked.

“Of course! You saved me from embarrassing myself.”

She continued speaking.

“Right. We don’t have time to chat. I’ve got to get my makeup on for the shoot. Get the makeup artist in here now.”

Hearing what she said, I looked down at my hand holding the powder brush and looked back at her.

“It’s me. I’ll be doing your makeup.”

Her jaw dropped. Recovering fast, she sat in the chair and waited for me to apply her makeup.

“I’m not even going to address why you’re a makeup artist if you model, but I cleaned my face in the cab heading here. Put it on right away. If you mess up, I’ll end your career.”

“I don’t think you have the power or authority to do so, but I’ll start right away.”

I applied the base foundation and finished the basic makeup routine. After it was done, I used a darker eyeshadow to add to the depth of her skin tone.

When I finished doing her makeup, she stood up and ran to the scene.

The feeling of relief washed over me like a tide. Even though I saved her pride, she still doesn’t like me? What a shame. I guess you can’t be liked by everyone.

I had to keep my makeup items out just in case someone messed theirs up during the photoshoot.

During the time they were taking photos, everyone went through numerous costume changes. Some people also had to have their makeup touched up, so I wasn’t exactly resting either.

Natalia passed my section multiple times and looked at me, each time, without fail. Combining the pressure from her, the studio, and OBHQ, it was almost unbearable.

However, I had to deal with it one way or another because I needed money. The photoshoot finally ended and I was given permission to put my things away after I wiped the makeup off the models.

Some of them thanked me, others didn’t spare me a glance. I get what people mean by models being conceited. Just a tad bit. I mean, Natalia gave me a taste of it, but she is one person.

The group of models was like a percentage observation for me, and, as it turns out, the percentage is quite high.

Because I’m a neat person, everything was placed back in their respective places. Everyone was leaving the set. The producer walked up to me and handed me my envelope of hard work.

I put it away in my backpack and slung my bag over my shoulders.

Kevin was waiting for me outside, next to his bike. My suspicion was proved to be correct when I saw him there. At first, I wasn’t sure, but now I was completely sure.

“So, it was your bike…” I initiated the conversation.

“Yep! How did you not recognize her?”

“It’s been a while. I’m sorry, Veronica.”

“She accepts your apology. Speaking of recognition, didn’t you have a white bike?”

“Yeah, she’s at home.”

“Home? You mean Florida?”

“Yeah. I didn’t specify. Apologies.”

“Stop apologizing already. You’re still a kid. No need to be troubled over such small matters.”

“Pfft. You’re not much older than me.”

“We’ve been over this already, kiddo.”

“We have, and I’d rather not revisit such times.”

“Those times were a few hours ago, but it’s whatever. Anyways, where’d you get this one?”

“From my big sister. It’s a gift for multiple occasions.”

“Awesome! I wish my family did something like this for me.”

“Not everyone is as fortunate as I!” I had to show some arrogance or else Kevin would be sulking all day.

“Tch. Spoiled brat. Does it have a name?”

“She does. Her name is Raven.”

“A befitting name for a badass bike. Do you want to go riding?”

“Of course! I need to drop my things back at work before I go. Are you down to meet in a few hours?”

“Yeah, is it at OBHQ?”

“Yeah. If you can.”

“Sure. I’ll text you.”

“Got it.” I started the ignition and my bike roared to life.

“Wait, Shay!” Someone shouted. I turned my bike off again, and so did Kevin.

“Hm? Oh, Natalia. Do you need something?”

She looked at Kevin before looking at me again.

“Can I talk to you? Alone?”

I clicked my tongue silently before following her.

Kevin looked at me, winked, and pushed me towards her direction, signaling me to go.

The wink was probably something dirty he imagined.

We knew each other long enough that we were able to read each other’s facial expressions.

Natalia and I walked about 10 meters away from where I was with Kevin.

“So, now we’re going to talk about why you are a model and a makeup artist.”

“Okay. What do you want to know?”

“Why were you modeling if you’re a makeup artist?”

“One of my jobs.”

“What do you mean, one?!” She crossed her arms and shifted her weight to her right side.

“It’s as I said. One. Here.”

I took one of my business cards out of my pocket before handing it to her.

“This is my business card. Unfortunately, I can only give you this and not explain more about my reasons. However, you have my card.”

“This does nothing! I want an explanation!”

“I’m not obliged to give you one. If you want anything done, then contact me from the number on the card. With that, I’ve got to go.”

“Don’t think we’re done here. I’ll see your true colors soon enough.”

“Okay. Just contact me when you request my services listed on the card! Adios!” I said, totally ignoring her threat.

The conversation ended, so I jogged back to my bike, started it up, and left after telling Kevin I’d see him later.

It took me a long time to get back to OBHQ, but I finally arrived. I had reached the top floor of the main building and put my things away. I took the envelope out of my backpack and put it in its designated place. 

Since I needed to edit the video, I walked into the living room and put my bag with the camera equipment down on the couch.

It’s only the first day of commission work, yet I’m so tired! I don’t think I’ve worked this hard since last summer! I can’t wait for this to end, yet I want to do this forever! I feel so conflicted.

When I had finally put my things away, I called Kevin.

“Hey, Kev. What’s the plan?”

“Hey, Shay. Come to my house. Address is…”

“You’re not going to kidnap me, right?”

“Do you really think so low of me?”

“You never know. It could be anyone.”

“You’re right, but it’s not me.”

“That’s what they all say.”

“...”

“Haha Okay but in all seriousness, I’ll be there in uh… 15 minutes.”

“Okay. I’ll be waiting.”

“Dude, that sounds so creepy.”

“What? That I’ll be waiting?”

“Like.. Not the sentence in general, but like.. when you say it. It sounds creepy.”

“Oi. Maybe I will kidnap you for saying that.”

“That’s kinky. Please don’t. I have work tomorrow.”

“Workaholic.”

“Kidnapper.”

“Tch.” He hung up the phone after voicing his discontent. I laughed so hard while making my way to Raven.

15 minutes later, I arrived at his house. It was a two story house with a mustang in the driveway. I whistled in awe at the car. I went to the door and knocked on it. A few seconds later, it opened. Kevin’s black hair popped out from the doorway and his beady black eyes looked directly at me.

“That’s creepy bro.”

“I do nothing!”

“My guy. You look like an owl.”

“You’re such a bully!”

“How? I am merely stating the facts and my honest feelings. There’s no better way to get closer to someone than to be honest with them.”

“You’re right, but that doesn't mean that you should bully them.”

“True, but it’s fun to bully you.”

“That’s so sadistic.”

“You’re so masochistic.” I fired back.

“Shh, don’t expose me!” Kevin whispered jokingly.

“Damn. Don’t ever say that..”

“Nothing wrong with it.”

“Still, please don’t.”

“Okay. Well, as much as I’d like to stand outside all night with you, please come in. The AC is leaving.”

“Okay. Thanks for your hospitality.” I stifled my laugh as I said this.

We walked into his house and the first thing I noticed was his dogs. There were three. There was an australian shepherd, a collie, and a japanese chin. They were so cute!!!! 

Once they saw me, they ran towards me. Kevin was taken aback and seemed almost frightened that his dogs might eat me.

“No. Sit!” Kevin tried commanding them, but none would listen.

I stood there, watching his failure of authority over the dogs. 

“Sit!” I mockingly said, copying Kevin. Immediately, the dogs sat.

“Wh--” Kevin was in shock. He looked at me in confusion, his eyes asking if I knew anything about this bizarre disobedience. I shrugged my shoulders and walked towards the dogs like nothing was out of order.

While they were sitting, their tails were wagging vigorously. I patted each of them on their heads and ended up at Kevin’s side.

“Okay let’s give you a tour. This is the living room, the bedroom…..” The dogs followed us everywhere.
We walked all around his house and he literally gave a tour of the place. He showed me where he parked his motorcycle and his trophies from multiple sports.

It’s Kevin, of course he would want to show off. But, I’m not complaining. I quite like that side of him. Makes him feel like a person my age rather than someone older than me by several years.

We eventually reached the couch in the living room. Kevin was on the chair on the other side of the couch and I was in the middle of the couch. The australian shepherd, whose name was Paint, was to my left resting her head on my thigh. Ginger, who was the collie, was resting her head on my right thigh from the right of me. The smallest, who was the japanese chin, was on my lap. His name was Yoshi.

Kevin stared at me for a second that felt like an eternity, but finally spoke.

“Seems like the dogs like you.”

“Yeah. For as long as I can remember, dogs have always liked me.”

“I wonder why. You’re so mean…”

“I wonder why too. You’re too nice maybe?”

“Tch. There’s nothing wrong with being nice..”

“They might be masochists then.”

“You just don’t stop.. Anyways. Moving on, I have something I wanted to ask you.”

“Sure, but can I ask something beforehand? It’ll be short.”

“Okay, go for it.”

“Why did you ask me to meet here?”

“Because there’s a motocross obstacle course I wanted to show you near my house and it’d be a waste of my gas to meet you at OBHQ and come back this way.”

“Oh. I understand. How logical. Okay now your question. Fire away.”

“Okay, so I couldn’t help but overhear your conversation earlier with that model.”

“What about it?”

“Why are you so chill?”

“I don’t understand your question. Please clarify.”

“I mean, if someone was that bitchy to me, I would have told them off or lost my shit. Why do you just let it go? Why aren’t you a little more… Angry?”

“I’ll have to think about my answer for a little while.”

“Okay, take your time.”

After thinking for a while, I finally reached an answer I could put into words.

“This is my business card.” I handed one of my cards to him and he took it.

“Okay, what about it?”

“Well, is there any job listed on that card saying I have to care about other peoples’ attitudes or what they say about me?”

“You smartass. No, there isn’t.”

“Okay, well, do you wonder why there are so many jobs there?”

“Because you need money?”

“Correct! And you know what they say. Time is money.”

“I see. So the time you waste on fighting with someone is money potentially lost.”

“Precisely. Now, even if I do have the time to squabble, it does me no good to get mad at people. I bottle my feelings because it’s not worth it to express my anger. There’s absolutely no point. There’s going to be so many problems in my life, why waste time on this one problem? I’d rather be doing something else.”

“I understand now. Your point is correct in my opinion. However, the longer you keep your feelings bottled up, the bigger the explosion will be. I think talking to someone will help.”

“And the explosion will happen when it happens.”

“I want you to know that I’ll always be here for you.” Kevin solemnly said.

“And I you.”

BOOM!

A loud crash of thunder sounded and the dogs jumped in surprise.

Kevin and I were also on alert. It was now pouring.

“I guess we can’t go to the course now, right?” I asked.

“Not anymore. We’ll just have to hang out here until the storm passes. By then it’ll be late at night.”

“Oh well, we can always go see it another day, right?”

“Yeah. Want to watch a movie or something?”

“Sure.”

We watched a movie Kevin picked and it was soon night time. The storm passed and I needed to leave to get back on time so Tina would eat dinner.

Kevin walked me out and we bid goodbye to each other.

I left his house and returned to OBHQ. I went up the elevator to Tina’s office and to the penthouse from there. 

The computer I left in the living room this morning was still there. I went to it and looked at the apps installed.

‘Lucky! There's editing software on here! Tina must have prepared for everything.’

I took out my camera equipment from the bag I left on the couch and laid it out on the table as well, while I took out the SD card and the adapter.

The computer had a 15” screen, so it was great for editing videos. While looking around for the slot to insert the card, I eventually found it.

My eyes sparkled, thinking about the possibilities for my channel. The editing software was open and I had to import the videos that I wanted. Since it was only one video, I clicked on the most recent file and started working.

The video was finally done with editing, so I uploaded it with the title, How To - Braids and Design POV | Shay.

Instantly, the views hit 100. I guess people had their notifications on. The video was 20 minutes long, even with the fast forward I used to shorten it up. I don’t know how my memory card-- no, my battery, survived while recording.

Finishing up with the last task of the day, I had to clean up my things for tomorrow and start making dinner for Tina and I.

The moment I opened the fridge, the front door opened and Tina walked in the penthouse.

“It’s like you’re a timer, Sis.”

“A timer?” She asked.

“Yeah. You walked into the house the moment I opened the fridge.”

“Oh, what a funny coincidence! The Universe must be telling you that I’m hungry.”

“The Universe might be, but it’s not proven, but you are telling me.” I chuckled.

“Damn right I am. What’s for dinner tonight?”

“What would you like?”

“Uh.. How about something with meat?”

“Just that? Anything more specific?”

“No, I’m not really picky. You know me. Plus, anything you make will be good.”

“Ack. What high expectations..” I mumbled to myself, hoping Tina wouldn’t hear.

Unfortunately, she did. “I have high expectations because I know you’d never do anything less than what I expect, isn’t that right?” Her tone sounded like that of an owner talking to a dog.

“You’re not entirely wrong, but I might make a mistake.”

“Then you can learn from it.”

“True. How does chicken alfredo sound?”

“It sounds drop dead amazing! My mouth is already watering!”

“I’m honored to hear that. Now, please go wash up and I’ll start on dinner.”

“Got it. See you in a while.” Tina left with a big smile on her face, probably imagining the food she’d be eating later. Meanwhile, I started preparing and making the dish.

I got out a few pots and pans and put water in one of the bigger pots. Then, I put the burner for the stove on high and waited for it to boil. When the water boiled, I put the pasta in and started on the garlic while I waited for it to be complete. I used the other half of butter that would be left after the chicken was made and melted it down in another pan as I sauteed the garlic. Another pan was coated in oil beforehand and placed on medium high. I waited for 2 minutes until it shimmered and then put the garlic in. 

After that, I added the chicken and started cooking it. I cooked it for 6 minutes before flipping it over and adding butter. The pasta and chicken finished at roughly the same time. After I drained the noodles, I sliced the chicken and covered it so it wouldn’t cool down.

After finishing the chicken, I started making the alfredo sauce. 

I mixed cream, parmesan, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a pot. I let it simmer for 3 minutes.

When it was finished, I put the pasta in the pot to coat it with the sauce. And after it was drenched in alfredo sauce, I plated it and put the chicken on top of the pasta.

By the time I finished, Tina came out of her room because of the smell of food, and sat down where she usually sat at the bar.

“Smells so good! Let’s eat!”

“Wait, I’m not done. Do you want a drink?”

“Give me a Pinot Noir.”

“As you wish.”

The wine glasses weren’t far. I grabbed one and opened a fresh bottle of Pinot Noir from 2010. It was worth at least $2,000.

I poured her a glass of wine, handed it to her, and went off to take a shower.

“Where are you going?” Tina asked in confusion.

“Taking a shower.”

“But your food will get cold.”

“There’s a microwave.” I tried to protest.

“Just sit down, kid. It’s not as good as eating it fresh.”

“Okay.” I sighed in a depressed manner.

I walked over and sat down after making myself a plate of food.

During the time we were eating, we talked about various things, like how my day went and what happened. Tina confided in me about problems she was facing with the company. I had pitched in some ideas we could use to solve those problems and came to an agreement.

When we finished eating, I went to the gym room and Tina went back to her room to start fixing the problems within the company.

I worked out for about an hour before taking a shower and going to sleep.

 

The morning was cool and the sun was rising. The next morning, I woke up with a start and a fresh mind. My morning routine concluded and I got ready to go to work. 

11 in the morning was when my first job for the day was scheduled, so I had to waste some time before then. I had the bright idea to clean the penthouse to waste my time. I started with my room.

Since I’m a neat person, there was almost nothing to do there. I continued on and cleaned the kitchen, living room, gym, floors, and finally, I reached Tina’s room. 

I’ve never been inside here before. Well, there’s a first time for everything. Tina was at work anyways, so there was nothing she could do to stop me.

The second I opened the door, I saw a familiar thing on the wall.

‘No way.. No fucking way…’

4