Daybreak
57 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The cool air rolled in over the horizon, silently, animals made their way about. It was always in the early hours of the day that everything seemed to be frozen in place. The hustling and bustling forest during the day couldn’t compare to the peaceful quiet. But, all good things must come to an end. 

A horn sounded signalling it was time for me to continue my duties on my post. My life, it wasn’t always like this, sometimes though I wonder if those memories bear any truth. The first day I was brought into the forest I had a name some purpose but now, I’m simply an object. 

Staggering up on all fours and following the pack we trailed into the entrance of our Master’s lair. Everyday we would receive orders to fulfil the needs of master with our skillsets. Each slave had their own set list of abilities taking on different forms such as a deer, ram, bull. Sadly my form wasn’t nearly as desirable, that of a beaver. 

On most days I’d be put onto construction crew to serve doing menial tasks and labour. Today was a special day though as it was the lighting of the spirits! Twice every year new slaves would be welcomed into the fold to serve the masters for the greater good. The celebration also was held to honour our masters defending us from the outside world. I’m very grateful for that much despite not having a name or gender, they cared for us. 

The outside world was harsh cruel even, filled with despicable  humans. They built these “machines” for the soul purpose of destroying the forest or killing, us. 

Upon entering the lair beautiful light displays hung with glow-bugs creating a blue green glow.  It also awed me whenever I entered the impeccable detailing on the walls of the cavern. 

“Attention slaves, today as many of you know is the lighting of the spirits. Your purpose today is to ensure the festivities go on plan and so, I will began to explain your roles.” 

Just like that role-call began as it did everyday falling back into routine. Each slaves number being listed over and over became a monotonous rhythm. 

“Slave #12ea9!” 

Realizing my number must have been called multiple times I snapped back to reality.

“O-oh sorry sir.” 

“Save your apologies filth, your purpose will be arranging sitting for the masters. Now get to it!” 

Lumbering off I began to scavenge for something suitable.  

As a beaver to a certain extent I too could carve items when necessary. Although this was a very precarious situation since my ability was not, elegant. My best bet was to find high quality materials stored in the lair to enhance the product. Luckily as part of the construction crew I knew just the place for spare wood! Waddling on to the backroom I noticed something peculiar a crack I had never seen before. This crack in the wall was rather large too but curiously wasn’t sealed yet. Likely due to the fact that the masters take on a humanoid form and so never spotted a crack at this height. 

I know I should report this but, I wonder, what’s, on the other side? Peaking in what I saw next shocked me making me pull back! It was, a h-human, who, was bound to a chair? How did they manage to get in onto a chair nonetheless. Taking a second look I spotted a master walking in now facing the human. Then, their jaw it, dislocated like a snake enveloping the humans body whole. All that could be heard during this gory process was the muffled screams of the human, and cracking of bone. 

The masters, they aren’t what I thought they were. 

2