Chapter 19 First day of marriage
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As daylight faded to dusk, our home gradually settled into a semblance of calm after the day's frenetic activities. With some guests taking their leave and others extending their stay, the house was a tapestry of departures and continuities. Amidst the undercurrents of tension between my maternal and paternal families, a unanimous, albeit unspoken, resolution emerged to maintain peace and harmony, sidelining any brewing discord.

In the interim, Dolly and I navigated the nuances of our newly forged connection from the confines of separate rooms. Dolly shared her space with Aunt Aruna, who had kindly decided to stay on, filling the void left by Dolly's absence of kin. This arrangement, albeit temporary, highlighted the enduring customs that still framed our relationship. The evening's serenity, however, faced a brief disruption during dinner when Sharad received an unexpected call. His voice, laden with a mix of urgency and restraint, resonated through the quietude of the dining area, 'Hello, Mr. Srinivas, what seems to be the issue? Understood. Allow me a moment to address this. I urge you to pause any further decisions until we reconvene.

 

I turned my attention to Sharad, curiosity evident in my gaze, "What's unfolding?"

Sharad's countenance was sombre as he informed me, "Ashwin, we're required in Hyderabad by tomorrow. There's an imperative deal on the line."

Grandmother Kamla Devi, voicing her concern, remarked, "My dear, you're newly married. Is this departure truly essential so soon?"

Father, adopting a pragmatic stance, assured her, "Ma, obligations don't pause. Son, you must heed your responsibilities."

Aunt Aruna, tinged with apprehension, inquired, "What about Dolly, our newest family member?"

Mother quickly addressed Aunt Aruna's concern, "Ashwin, ensure Dolly's ticket is booked as well. She'll travel with you."

Grandmother Kamla Devi, hesitant, questioned, "How can we send our daughter-in-law away so promptly? There are still rituals to be observed."

Anupam Jiju, attempting to ease the situation, suggested, "Grandma, we can attend those rituals upon their return. It's pivotal for the newlyweds to be together. Let's be understanding."

Faced with the potential for neighbourhood gossip, Grandmother Kamla Devi reluctantly consented with a nod, albeit with a heavy heart.

Sharad then said, "Dolly Bhabhi, may we have your ID? We'll include you in our booking. Ashwin, shall we also consider Dolly’s Aunt?"

Grandmother Kamla Devi interjected, "No need for that. She can accompany Aarti back to the village."

The room fell silent at her words, the underlying discomfort palpable, yet unchallenged, as respect for her decision prevailed.

 

How many people like me are bored seeing Anant Ambani and Radhika Merchant's pre-wedding party? Seriously creating their hype of power 

 

0