16. Dolly secret mission
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Please rate and comment on my chapters to make me understand if it is your liking or not. Honest criticism is accepted

Tonight, an insidious restlessness seized me, turning sleep into a mocking spectre. A pervasive unease wrapped around me, unyielding in its hold. Amidst the jubilant cacophony of the Sangeet ceremony, with laughter ringing and music resounding, I found myself adrift in a tempest of introspection. Each drumbeat, intended to celebrate, instead reverberated with the haunting uncertainty of my choices.

Doubt's shadows stealthily encroached upon my thoughts, casting aspersions on my ability to don the mantle of a commendable husband. Sharad's comforting words were mere whispers, vanquished by the tempest's roar that raged within, leaving my inner turmoil untouched. In search of solace, I donned the guise of indisposition, withdrawing from the jubilation, a soul aching for the sanctity of solitude.

At the poolside, I was momentarily freed from the relentless march of time by the gentle touch of water caressing the tiles. So deeply was I ensnared in the labyrinth of my thoughts that I remained oblivious to Dolly's stealthy approach until her hands, delicate as the faintest murmur, obscured my sight. Murmuring 'Dolly?' into the stillness, I clung to a slender thread of hope. Her joyous reply, 'Wow, sir, you recognized me!' rippled through the tranquillity, her laughter weaving a lone but harmonious melody into the night's expansive silence.

Dolly, a vision of elegance in her Salwar Suit, gracefully took her place beside me. Her voice, soft as a whispering breeze, broke the silence, 'Do you mind if I join you here?' My nod was a silent welcome, an unspoken encouragement for her presence. 'This spot, cradled by the embrace of the night, is just perfect,' she reflected, her voice fading into the quietude as our gazes met the stars in silent communion.

The initial discomfort that hung between us, a tentative silence, gradually transformed into a comforting harmony of shared quiet, with the vast night sky unfolding above us as a protective canopy.

Yet, peace proved to be a transient visitor. A piercing cry shattered the night's calm, abruptly pulling me from the edge of reverie. The cacophonous exchange between my grandmother Iravati and Aunt Aruna cleaved the serene air, signalling turmoil. In the midst of this upheaval, I found Dolly, her head resting lightly in my lap, her peaceful slumber seemingly untouched by the surrounding tumult.

This scene, though not entirely new to me, offered little comfort in its familiarity. The spectacle unfolding before us captured Sharad and Anjali's attention, their smiles offering mute commentary on the evening's unexpected twist.

0