Ch 11: Despair on the battlefield.
447 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We were facing the man in combat, he totally had the power advantage but we had the numbers advantage, he pulls out a dagger while never letting his sight go away from us.

I formulate a plan to take him on, I go to inform them about it.

"Two of you go distract him from the front, while me and someone else will attack from behind."

My siblings nod at the plan and my brothers go to attack him from the front, me and my sister flank him to go behind him, the man slashes at my brother injuring my older one, my younger brother gets angry and tries to bite him but the man dodges, me and my sister had made it behind him so as he was dodging we pounce on him, he creates a barrier to stop us and our attacks fails.

Looks like he knows how to use techniques.

The man goes on the attack this time, he tries to counter our failed attack by taking me and my sister out, I jump away but I get slashed by the dagger slightly.

My side was slightly bleeding and it hurt but I ignore the pain as we were still in battle, my older brother gets enraged and charges the man directly.

"No! You idiot! Don't charge him!" I shout to him, the man prepares to stab him and I look in horror I try to stop him but... my younger brother had pushed him out of the way, after he had pushed him away the man's stab had landed on him instead,he was stabbed in his side and was heavily injured.

We all look in horror, the sounds of battle between mom and dad had vanished from my hearing, all I could hear was my own beating heart as I look at my injured brother.

The man had been meaning to finish him off, but my big brother had dashed to bite him, he succeeds and the man couldn't finish him off, he turns to my brother and tries to stab him, my brother quickly retreats the instant he sees him turn.

The man now lifted his arms to face my younger brother, he was preparing a technique! I run at him to try and stop the technique, but it was too, he kills my brother then uses the technique.

We were shocked, in disbelief, he had killed our brother in front of us, I start feeling a mixture of anger, sadness and hopelessness, but when I look at the man my anger overwhelms the other emotions and I focus on one thought.

I will kill you!

My younger brother suddenly rises from the ground, our shock increases further, but I start feeling relieved... that is until he faces us with lifeless eyes and begins combat.

"Brother! Why are you fighting us?! Our enemy is the human!" I yell to him in desperation for I am afraid of what I think is the truth.

My brother doesn't hear me he continues on approaching, that had made me realize that he had turned him into a zombie, my brother had reached me and he attacks savagely I dodge his attacks continously, he was weaker and slower than when he was alive, but I couldn't attack him, no matter what I couldn't attack my own brother.

My big brother comes and rescues me, he had pushed away our younger brother.

"What are you doing brother! You could have counter attacked easily against those sloppy moves!" My big brother was yelling at me

"I can't attack my own brother!" I shout to him

"That isn't our brother anymore, it is a lifeless corpse, our brother would never have attacked us, so we must lay his body to rest."

"How could you feel nothing that is your bro-"

I stop what I was saying I look at my older brother and see his eyes were full of sorrow, anger and frustration his face was distorted in all these emotions but he was forcing himself to act in order to save anyone, I look regretfully at my younger brother and understand what must be done.

"Big brother... Please lay him to rest, sister come with me, we will have revenge."

My brother nods and my sister approaches the man from different sides with me, the man prepares another technique he lifts his right hand towards me and fires a black ball, I dodge the ball barely thanks to me being able to tell that he was going to use a technique, my sister had attacked the man when he was focused on me she uses body strengthening and bites his side, she had inflicted a more serious injury than before, the man twists in pain but he quickly regains his composure I try to attack him but I retreat as he pointed his dagger at me.

My big brother had fought my younger brother, my younger brother had no techniques and was attacking with no thought, but my brother eventually forced himself to defeat him, him looking very distraught after finishing him off, he comes to join us to battle the man.

The man looks into a thicket of trees then beams, he had found something that made him relieved.

No. Don't tell me.

With a heavy heart I look where he was looking and there I saw it... The ogre had came to him. And he was carrying two foxes.

We all look in shock, forgetting that we were in battle, we all stop moving.

My heart sinks as I see that sight, my stomach feels hollow and I start shaking,taking haggard breaths as the horror starts to set in, my sister and my brother were yelling for mom and dad, terrified of the truth, these yells were there last hopes, they wanted them to wake up.

I was too horrified to do anything but stare, as the ogre had set down the bodies next to the man I knew what was going to happen, he was going to turn them into zombies.

Rage overpowers my fear, I grit my teeth at the sight and I run towards the man to try and stop him, my brother stops me.

"Are you mad?! You'll die if you approach him!"

"I don't care! I am gonna make that bastard suffer with my final moments in life!"

"Shut up brother! Calm down, we have to run away to live."

"Run?! As our parents' murderer stands there! No way!"

"Calm down you fool!"

He hits me with his shoulder I was shocked when he had hit me like that, my sister was shocked at what we were doing so shortly after our parents' death, our argument ends as the man had resurrected our parents as zombies the man commands them and they face towards us.

No. This can't be.

"Mom! Dad! Please return to your senses!" I yell to them.

But there was no answer, there was no emotion in their lifeless cold eyes.

"We need to run now! Quickly!"

My brother tugs me and that returns me to my senses I immediately start running away we were running but they had been closing in on us, at this rate we were gonna be caught!

"Hey brother, sister, go on without me." My older brother says.

"Huh?! Are you crazy?! We can't leave you!" My sister retorts.

"Yeah we fight together and we die toge-" I start but my brother interrupts me

"Don't be stupid! What good will all of us dying do! At least you two can survive."

"But why you brother?! Why must you sacrifice yourself?!"

"Remember how I used to tell you that I would protect all of you as you were my younger siblings?"

"Huh? Hmm. Oh yeah I remember that I used to tease you saying that there was only a small difference between our ages."

"I was not joking that day, I had always felt responsible for all of you, I had been training away from you, hunting with mother and father to be able to protect you all, but I hadn't been able to protect my younger brother that day, you had been the one to try to save him and I did nothing, you had returned covered in wounds, poisoned and near death, I had felt as a failure of an older brother and I vowed to be able to protect you next time no matter the cost."

"Brother... No..."

Our parents were closing in on us, we didn't have much time left

"So this is why, please allow me to save my siblings with the last of my life."

I grit my teeth, I gave him no answer because after all how could one order his own brother to die, my brother takes the silence as a yes, and stops and faces mother and father, I didn't wanna waste the last of his life so I run with sister away from there.

*POV The brother.*

As I see them run away, i felt my heart relieved they were going to be alright i knew that, I turn to face my parents, they were staring at me with their lifeless eyes, they attack me mercilessly, but I fight as hard as I could.

They attack with no coordination, often catching the other in their attacks but they still overpower me with the attacks that land, I desperately summon all my strength, my body begins flowing as I do that and I try to counter them, I claw their bodies but they don't react, they had felt nothing from these attacks, then I get caught in mom's teeth and I feel them cutting into me, I claw their noses to remove their senses of smell, that is if they had any then I start feeling my strength leave me.

Ah. Maybe dying by my parents' side isn't so bad, as I have also saved my brother and sister, I wish I could have saved you four, especially you two mom and dad, I wish I could have lived longer, played more with my siblings, I wish I could have watched over them.

And I had died there surrounded by my parents.

13