Ch 57: Entering the village.
204 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A month had already passed since we were living here, the progress was pretty nice now that I look back on it, we had expanded the hut into a more proper house, we even built some crude furniture for it. We didn't make it too large as that might attract attention, no merchants had went to this village, but I had already concluded that it was too remote for any merchants to bother with it.

What each of us had been manufacturing is finally complete, I had made some linen and leather clothing, I made some leather gloves, simple linen robe-like clothes and hood. The robes was long and flowing, its sleeves were pretty large too which made me slightly worried, but I couldn't for the life of me get the sleeves right so I had to make it like this, over all, the clothes were the simplest I could make, yet they were still pretty cool.

The wooden mask Nozomi had made was of pretty great quality, she was getting pretty good at woodworking as she also was the one to make quite a number of furniture, the mask she made was shaped like a kitsune mask and had some red dye that I made for her, I was stunned when she made it and asked her if Ethan showed her that, she had told me no and that she made it to look like my face so she can still see me, I guess that's a nice thing for her to do.

Ethan had the most trouble in making the shoes, as he didn't have any humanization technique to help him and never practiced telekinesis, but he managed to make the shoes nonetheless, they had a wooden sole and were made from leather, they were pretty rough and had the flax string as shoe laces, they were pretty good although maybe a little uncomfortable. Although we were complete amateurs and we didn't know what we were doing, we still managed to do a good job and learned some valuable skills.

I now wear the disguise that we made, I didn't know what I looked like and so I asked Ethan.

"How do I look?"

"Just need a sword then you can be a samurai."

"Don't tell me that I look super embarrassing."

"No, no, you look pretty darn cool dude."

"Alright, can you see any fur or anything that will show that I'm not human?"

"Nope, although don't lift your hands in the air or the sleeves will fall and your fur will appear."

"Take care of hope while I'm gone."

"Of course."

Hope was still sleeping, she was now no longer underweight, I guess a balanced diet truly does wonders, although that made me have to make even more clothes and let me tell you, weaving linen is hell, I spent a ton of time trying to do it properly and I had to do it several times. I also wish we had some limestone for making cement but I guess we were too far from the sea for that.

But now was the time to finally get inside the village, we had been preparing for over a month for this moment, I had been preparing a story to tell the villagers that guard the front gate, it was a pretty strange one but hopefully they'll buy it.

I approach the gate of the village from the dirt path, I had been walking on it for a while to make it seem like I came from it, the two guard were talking and I could hear them, I had been studying their language for the past month as I watched them, but I only knew it very roughly and will need to study it properly before I can learn it.

When I get closer to them they stand on guard and shout towards me. I couldn't understand a single word from what they said, all the words they had said to me were foreign, looking at them again, they were huge! They towered over me, well now that I think about it I was only 148cm tall in human form maybe a few centimeters off but around that much, also I see that the larger one of them had bull horns and a tail.

I remove those thoughts and then speak to one of the men with telepathy.

"Sorry, I can't speak this language."

The man looked pretty shocked and impressed, he said something to his friend and I could manage to hear the word child. Huh at least that studying meant I could understand one word.

"Why do you not speak this language child? Are you not from this kingdom?"

"I was raised in the forest after my parents have abandoned me, so I can't speak this language."

The man's face had softened a bit, I guess maybe he was sympathetic?

"How did you manage to survive in this forest? With all of these dangerous monsters around you would've died."

"I am not sure myself, but I did manage to survive by being picked up by a family of foxes."

The man looked shocked by hearing this, perhaps it was too outrageous? Well, if push comes to shove I'll just run away. He talks with his friend and then his friend was also amazed.

"Boy, do you know what an intelligent fox means?"

"No, of course."

"Ah, well, forget I said anything, by any chance do you know where they are?"

"Yes, they are all dead, I was surviving by myself for a while now."

"You seem very smart for a child that was abandoned in the forest."

"Uh, well, y'know the forest teaches a lot."

"Well, I've never seen an abandoned child before so I do not know, but you are wearing clothes of half decent quality, did you steal them perhaps?"

"No, I made them myself."

"Without any help or studying?"

"Well yes."

"Fine, just show me a memory with telepathy and I'll believe you and let you in"

Uh oh, this is bad, I gotta show him a memory without me looking at myself. I focus on a memory where I was looking at my family in the burrow without any of my parts appearing.

"Hm, well, a memory's a memory, I believe you boy, you better not cause any problems in this village."

Oh thank god, that was so close, I seriously underestimated what I should have prepared, I now enter the village with my heart beating in excitement. This was the first time I'll actually be able to talk with people!

*POV August."

I let the strange boy enter the village, he seemed pretty well mannered but suspicious, but I don't think he'll do anything bad.

"So? Did you learn anything about those intelligent foxes?"

"Well, apparently they are dead, no point in going after them."

"Bah, what a shame, guess there is no reward for us."

But still, a family of intelligent foxes is an extremely rare occurence, that means that all of them had the potential to evolve into spirivulpes, one of the rarest species on the face of the earth, perhaps none of them had ever evolved though.

"Should we look out for that boy? A boy that can perform telepathy at a fantastic quality like this is probably dangerous."

"No, I think that he will not cause any troubles, he is quite good natured for a child raised in the woods, you should learn from him you boor."

"Hah? What'd you say? You wanna fight?"

"It was only a joke, ah would you look at that, I need to go and dine."

And with that I head home to have my food before Rowan could complain about it.

6