Chills (Arc 1 Finale)
340 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the screen turned dark in front of it, the mannequin stood up and began to walk out of the room. Before it even reached the door it flung open as it stepped out of the room and the door shut behind it.

The black figure slumped against the wall once it walked out, two cloaked figures coming and picking it up to store it away. 

A chill ran through the room, moving down the hallway and then into a simple chapel from going up some stairs. A podium stood at one end, and a number of benches simply put there. It was hard to tell with the lights and lack of windows, but this place was underground. 

The chill did not disturb any of the people there listening to a speech from a masked man on the podium, as it went out the front door and moved quickly through the maze like entrance. It moved through a trapdoor at the end and came into a warehouse where three players discussed with themselves still.


"Solutions are closer than we think, I think the quickest and most direct solution is it's talking about Arron or Gareth. Doesn't that make sense?" Amber says, glancing around. 

"Yeah, it makes sense after all. They seem pretty important" Seeker says, nodding.

"Well I need to think of how to explain this to the stream, why not just say we woke up to this mission? No, that doesn't make too much sense. I'll think of something" Lapis said

The three players began walking out of the warehouse, only for each of them to shiver. Instantly putting them on edge.

Seeker remained the most calm while Amber and Lapis slowly kept walking, turning around to watch. He stood there for a moment before turning "Is someone there?" he asks the air.

There is no answer, only for the warehouse doors to fly open, with no one there to explain how they did so.

"Seems like we are dealing with ghosts" he hums, turning around and walking right past Amber and Lapis "See you two later, don't get haunted" he chuckles before logging off.

Amber logged off next, and Lapis last. 

The surrounding woods rustled with the wind as the three players all left, just before a cold chill ran through the forest. Leaves stirred in it's wake and even twigs were snapped by the rapid force of it moving.


Gareth sighed, again stopping his training and using a towel to wipe off the sweat from his body. He stretched out and went to leave his private training area to get some food. Only to stop when a cold chill ran through him. 

He went on edge, narrowing his eyes as the villainous looking man balled up his fists. He looked around carefully, only to see movement out of the corner of his eye.

A wooden dummy suddenly came to life, jumping forward and throwing a punch at him.

Gareth grabbed the fist and directed it away from him first before delivering a kick to the joint of the dummy. These things were expensive and tough, but they had points that could break.

The dummy seemed to know this, as it was jerked back quickly from him, hanging in mid air like a puppet on strings before it fell back to the ground.

Gareth panted, adrenaline pumping through him. His eyes watched closely as the wooden dummy took on a stance. If it could even be called that.

It stood limply, like a puppet with it's strings cut, only it's head remained standing, and it didn't fall straight to the ground. Like someone was holding it by that one point. Despite the seeming weakness of the defense, the waiting attitude seemed pressing.

Gareth stared, knowing this seemed familiar somehow. 

The dummy finally moved , it's neck moving to one side. It's limbs lagged behind before it jumped forward and tackled him to the ground.

Gareth rolled, taking with him before kneeing it in the head and then kicking it away before he jumped back to his feet. Only for the offensive to continue. The dummy remained undeterred even with it's wooden face dented, moving forward and delivering kicks to his head that were each blocked by the man before it was flipped.

A minute passed, Gareth panting and sweating again. The wooden dummy was damaged in many ways, as he tried to use every hit to stop it. One arm joint was broken. It was made to test various defenses and postures, so that limited it's options. It continued to attack though, even using the broken arm as little more than a club and feint for other attacks. 

Finally, the dummy slowly moved, and then bowed to him. Gareth blinked, before the dummy finally fell down with it's legs and other joints not being locked. Not a single sign that it was standing a moment ago.

Gareth waited before bowing himself "Thanks, I guess, whoever you are, whatever you are" he muttered. He kept an eye on the dummy as he stepped outside finally.

A chill settled in the room, before it slammed into a wall and began traveling again.


Arron had not been doing too well lately, for the longest time. His mind just kept running constantly, making him feel as if he had forgotten something.

Every time he tried to sleep consciously, he would wake up with a headache. The only time he got rest was when he outright passed out. This was the reason why he didn't try sleeping anymore.

Tonight he was already beginning to pass out, but he still had a headache. He alleviated it by  sitting in bed and writing down notes. The notes were nothing special, just things like 'the wall is grey' and 'the food I ate today was so and so' in order to help him guide his thoughts.

He felt a chill pass through him, but after shivering and glancing around, he shook his head. 

"I'm just hallucinating a bit, perfectly reasonable with how little I've slept recently. Just a hallucination" he says, writing the note down that the chill was just a hallucination. Only for his hand to stop moving on his own accord.

It slowly moved, writing out new words on the notepad in a very sketchy and slow style. Making it look messy yet refined. The words stuck to the page as he stared, thoroughly freaked out.

"Arron, you need to sleep. You know you need to, but you can't, can't you?" the words asked.

Despite the fact his hand was taken over, he shuddered from the cold feeling around it, he took a deep breath before speaking.

"I, I can't sleep on my own. I just need to pass out. It's not an easy thing to do" he reasons. He felt like venting, but didn't know if he was just messing with himself or something. Maybe he finally cracked.

"You've forgotten something. I can tell you what, but only if you make the promise to go and seek out the three Amissa Lumina tomorrow morning" the words came to shape slowly. Arron stared at them silently for a few moments.

"Deal" after taking a second to make sure he read correctly he didn't hesitate. This had bugged him for far too long.

His hand began to move, and began to write down a lot of information. He closed his eyes as he let it happen. Soon he'd have an answer. It may not be THE answer. It could even be entirely false and fabricated and he knew that, but it was something. He should be panicking a lot more now, but he both trusted this force for whatever reason, and was too tired to care.

His writing did not stop just because he closed his eyes. The feeling slowly became background noise. Pencil scratching against paper causing him to lean back against the wall.

It wasn't until five minutes later that his hand finally stopped moving. A page of notes and information on the notebook as it closed. It moved to the desk and his body was picked up and adjusted until he was lying down.

There was a chill in the room that slowly dissipated, letting Arron sleep peacefully for the night.


Announcement
Thank you for reading Arc 1 of Ultima NPC, part 2. This series is updated very infrequently, and I apologize for that. Next arc will focus on the players introducing a new 'power system' to Larian, and from there, causing big changes in the world. Please comment what you thought of this arc if it is not troublesome.
4