Panotti of the Opera (7)
95 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The test was easy and Floopy let out a sigh of relief after the papers were collected. Klick was fast asleep even though it was lunch and the panotti left a note for his friend before sneaking out of the classroom. He was going back to the greenhouse for lunch before the bullies could steal his food.

At the greenhouse, Floopy's stomach growled and the panotti dug into his meal quickly. He spent the time listening to the sound of nature and thought about how he could write a song that would suit Prince Syris. Although he had damaged his vocal cords badly, Floopy thought that there was an unusual charm to his voice that was different from the other creatures and stage actors.

Syris' talking voice was like wool. It was warm and a little scratchy but soft to the ears and very pleasing to listen to. Due to the damage done to his cords, Floopy wasn't sure how the original voice sounded like. While it didn't seem like Prince Syris was going to have a very honey-like voice or a breezy one, Floopy had no problems imagining how he would do well with a simple ballad. His ability to express emotions would be his biggest talent if he were to sing. He could pull people into his song with emotions and the empathetic prince was at his best when he could freely let go of the things in his heart, pouring it into his songs.

Floopy was too deep in his thoughts that he didn't realise another person had joined him. The new person was amused and waited to see how long it would take the panotti to realise him.

Bruce might be against it but Syris didn't care. He left damage control to his bodyguard and friend. Those people have always been talking behind his back. What difference would it make if they spread a few more nasty stories? It wasn't as if his family cared. In fact, they preferred him dead and out of the picture if they could.

Unlike everyone else, with a few exceptions, Floopy was one of the people in the academy that Syris wanted to get to know better. He woke up that morning to find an anonymous letter and while the writer wanted to remain 'a secret admirer and supporter', it wasn't very difficult for the siren to figure out who sent it. There was only one person's spectacles that he helped to fix and return lately.

"No, that won't do. What if Prince Syris doesn't like music?" Floopy groaned. It didn't matter what kind of songs he had in his head, none of that will work if Prince Syris hated music.

"How would you know he doesn't like it? Have you asked him?" a helpful voice beside him supplied.

Floopy groaned and finished his food quickly. "I can't ask him... it would be incredibly awkward to talk to a prince as wonderful as him."

Amused by how Floopy still hasn't registered that he wasn't alone, Prince Syris played along and sighed. "I know how you feel. It's also incredibly difficult for me to meet a certain boy. I had to come all the way to the greenhouse to look for him. I wonder if I can find him today. The last time we met, he ran away."

Floopy frowned. Who was this person talking about?

Person?

With a jump, Floopy flew off his seat, scattering his lunchbox everywhere. Beside him was the prince with turquoise hair and the very person he was talking about.

"P-P-P-P-Prince Syris?! W-what are you doing here?"

Syris had to cover his mouth and try not to die laughing but it was unsuccessful. The panotti was simply too adorable with his pink ears and red face. His obliviousness to the situation earlier only added to the charm. Although he was slightly air-headed, Syris didn't think that he was ugly. How could anyone hate such an adorable creature? Sure, he might look a little unusual but on the whole, Syris thought that the boy was likeable.

"Hello," he greeted with a smile and waved his arm. Today, he wouldn't let Floopy run away so easily.

Floopy swallowed hard and didn't know what to do. After an incredibly long staring session, the panotti gathered his brain cells and got to his feet, trying to escape. This time, Syris was prepared and tugged on Floopy's small wrist before the boy could bolt.

"What's the rush?" he laughed. "I still want to talk to you more. There are no other classes this afternoon. Most of the boys are out playing games or hanging out with friends. I don't have anyone to accompany, won't you stay a little longer?"

Floopy froze on the spot and Syris took the chance to guide him back onto the chair, picking up the fallen lunchbox in the process while Floopy's brain tried to process what was going on.

'P-P-P-P-Prince Syris is here? And he wants to talk to me? Why??? Did he hear me? Does he know about the secret admirer? Help!'

Floopy's expression changed throughout his different stages of panicking and Syris had to admit, if this boy was an omega, he would have difficulty in stopping himself from wanting to take him as his bride. Although Syris didn't think that he was going to graduate from the academy with a lover, he didn't think that he would find his ideal type here.

Wanting to see more of Floopy's reactions, Syris leaned closer on purpose until the panotti took notice of him.

As expected, Floopy snapped out of it when Syris gently patted his head with a large webbed hand, feeling the fuzziness of his fur. The conversation was stuck in between them but Floopy decided to first master his courage.

"P-Prince Syris, why are you here?"

Instead of answering Floopy directly, Syris decided to tease the panotti a little more. "Why can't I be here?"

Floopy stammered his replies and Syris found it fun to watch his 'secret admirer' stumble across words. Still, he answered Floopy's earlier question.

"I like music."

For a second, Floopy thought he was hearing things. "Really?"

Syris nodded. "I like it, I like rap music. Anything with a beat is dope. Then again, it would be nice if I could actually sing normally like other sirens. Is it weird? A siren who cannot sing."

Floopy shook his head. "Everyone has something they're good at and something they're not too good at. For me, I'm not good at studying so I receive help from Klick."

For some reason, Syris could imagine it and patted Floopy on the head. "Is that so? Do you think someone could help me learn how to sing?"

This was the question that Floopy had to consider how to answer very carefully. He didn't want to get Syris' hopes up by saying that he could help. It was too pretentious. However, if he told Syris that the legendary composer in the academy could... maybe the prince's pride wouldn't be compromised and he could still salvage his reputation.

"I might know a person who could help..." Floopy started carefully. "Do you know about the legendary composer of this academy? They say that he writes for the musicals that perform and that the principal scouted for him."

Heart thudding in his chest, Syris nodded. "Yes, I've heard of them. Bruce told me about them and I figured that if I could find them, I would beg them to teach me how to sing. If this fails... I'll give up on singing ever again. I'll just be a mute siren."

Floopy felt his heart squeeze at the declaration. An unknown pressure was on his chest when he thought about not being able to hear the prince ever again. It was such a shame and the musician made a vow to write the best song for his new friend.

"Don't worry," he took Syris' webbed hand in his paws. "I will make sure that you don't have to become a mute siren. I know where this composer usually is, I'll ask for help! He will write you songs that you can sing, don't give up! Rap music, right? Although they only write for musicals I think they can write rap music too!"

Syris was startled with the passionate declaration so much that he didn't stop Floopy from running away. All he could think of was how someone believed in his ability to sing for the first time in his life. He wondered if Floopy would be disillusioned when he heard him sing.

As Floopy ran back to his room, trying his best not to trip over his ears, his heart pounded. He didn't know what rap music was but he would find out. No matter what, he wouldn't allow Syris to become a mute siren. He was known as a genius composer and musician, there would always be a way for any creature to sing.

4