The Crystal Apocalypse – Chapter 8
140 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note: Hello everyone :D ! We now have 27 readers which is really amazing to see! Thank you everyone for your comments and support on this series, you guys really make this so much fun to do :D! This chapter is my longest one yet at over 1,800 words prior to this author's note and that was after I tried to condense it a bit... this chapter was just so much fun to write lol. Anyway, I'm going to have a pretty big surgery on July 20th so I am trying to create a mini-backlog of chapters so I can keep posting while I recover. I actually finished this one on July 10th, but it will be posted a bit later because of that. Enjoy the chapter! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Battle Broadcast has begun ]

The tension in the room was practically suffocating.

Rodger stood with his hammer out ready to defend against the three figures. Upon closer inspection, they seemed to be 2 guys and 1 girl; all of them slightly younger than Jimmy. He wanted to assume they were all 18 for the sake of his own sanity if they were to fight, but this was a new world they were in. Holding back even against kids could be dangerous and the terribly beaten man behind them made it clear they could not be underestimated.

It appeared that one of the guys and the girl were both Crystal Users; the bright flames hovering over the guy's hands and the glowing red whip being held by the girl made that obvious. Much like the other guy standing behind them with a metal bat, she had a darker skin tone which nicely complemented the red glow. It was fairly safe to assume that guy was not yet a Crystal User based on his distance from the frontline and his tight grip on the bat.

The two groups seemed to be in a deadlock. Rodger seemed completely hesitant to attack, which could have been due to his already life-threatening injuries or maybe from him prioritizing protecting Dylan who was cowering behind him still grasping his ribs. The only thing keeping the group of three from rushing them was most likely the overpowering aura Rodger was giving off with that massive hammer.

I was originally worried that the guy in the back could just be a ranged attacker, but there's no reason why he wouldn't be shooting right now if he was.

"So," Jimmy called out causing everyone to snap their heads over to him, "anyone mind explaining what the heck is going on here?"

"Jimmy, you're back!" Dylan exclaimed happily.

The group of three immediately tensed up after seeing his connection with the two. Their numerical advantage was thwarted before they could even take advantage of it.

"Yo! Sorry for the wait, but we can get settled after you guys let me know what this mess is about"

"Welcome back, lad. To sum it up, these kids smashed through the front entrance making a ton of noise. I guess a security guard came to check it out and you can see how that turned out for him," Rodger answered, nudging his head in the direction of the unconscious man down the hall.

"The poor dude was running away- we saw them get the final hit on him" Dylan added with his anger flaring.

"...I see. Here Rodger, drink this," Jimmy said, tossing over one of the vials.

There was an initial expression of shock and curiosity on his face, but after a moment the vial's identity finally clicked in his head. Rodger wordlessly caught the potion and pried the tiny cork off with his teeth before drinking the red liquid. The next moment, a purple glow was seen shining out of every one of his wounds and they soon rapidly began to close up. His exhausted and desperate look just prior seemed like a figment of their imagination. Though Rodger's clothes were still covered in blood, his slouched posture gradually lifted back into its proper form and his stance as a whole strengthened more than Jimmy thought possible. Rodger looked far stronger than Jimmy expected. The unknown group of three reflexively took a step back; the fire in Rodger's eyes was burning brighter than ever before. 

"Look at yourself, old man! I got a freaking mountain in front of me! Oi, Jimmy, give me one next!" Dylan said excitedly.

"We gotta get you a crystal first, but I got one saved for you don't worry"

Jimmy ignored the giant frown on Dylan's face as he joined up with Rodger on the frontline and summoned his shield. 

"How ya feeling, big guy?" Jimmy whispered to him.

"I haven't felt this good since my prime! In fact, I might actually have to hold back so I don't accidentally kill these kids in one hit," he responded with a conflicted expression on his face.

Their chatter was interrupted by the brown-haired guy with the flames.

"Quit talking and leave us already- this is our spot!"

"We were here first, idiot. I normally wouldn't want to fight, but something tells me you guys don't deserve to be appeased" Jimmy responding, once again pointing to the collapsed guard behind them.

"Yeah, you tell him, Jimmy! Let's avenge that guard!" Dylan chimed in from the back.

"Shut up! You're just hiding behind them- get up and face me like a man!" the guy shouted towards him.

"No."

"... What do you mean no!?"

"I mean I don't want to!"

"Get up here and fight me, you coward!"

Their bickering continued for quite some time while the other four just stood there awkwardly. Rodger's rigid stance prevented the tension from lowering too much despite the odd argument. Eventually, the fire guy reached his breaking point.

"Enough of this!" he screamed.

The fireball above his hands grew slightly larger than before. With his arm outstretched, it quickly shot towards Dylan who's head was peaking out around the edge of Rodger.

Luckily, Jimmy was fast enough and was able to move his shield in an arc to block the ball. Flames exploded outwards and curled around the edge of the shield, but it was nowhere near enough to reach Dylan.

"Get back, kid! I can't protect your sorry butt and smash that guy's head in at the same time" Rodger ordered.

"Yes, Sir!"

The moment he heard Dylan's response, Rodger bull-rushed the group forcing Jimmy to run up with him. The fire guy redirected his attention to the giant man in front of him and shot a massive barrage of fireballs in his direction. Though Jimmy managed to block a couple, Rodger was forced to roll under the rest, popping up mere feet from the guy.

He swung his hammer in a sideways motion as the man braced for the enormous impact, but his hammer was stopped mid-swing by a red whip tangled around its handle.

Rodger's muscles flared up and he grabbed the whip, swinging it with full strength. The girl let out a scream as she was pulled off the ground and sent flying across the room. Jimmy had no time to comment on that massive feat as he noticed flames appear in front of the completely open Rodger. Jimmy lunged forward barely getting close enough to knock the guy's arm to the side with his shield. Fireballs launched across the room and splattered into flames upon hitting the wall near Dylan.

"Oi- watch it! That fire is hotter than the whip girl!"

Rodger ignored his comment and smacked the now defenseless fire guy with his hammer, sending him flying backward into his friend holding the bat. As the two fell violently to the ground, Jimmy glanced back at Dylan.

"You into dominatrix girls, man?"

"No! Well... maybe. Listen, I don't get all up in your interests so don't judge mine! Besides, I'm sure you're into some stuff way weirder than that."

"I like skirts, I guess?"

"Aye, with fishnets, lad!" Rodger chimed into Jimmy's response. 

"...You really are old"

"What? What's wrong with fishnets?" he asked defensively.

"You should know- gah!"

Dylan's statement was interrupted by a whip being wrapped around him. The girl covered in small cuts and scraps pulled him in front of her.

"What is wrong with you idiots!? We're in the middle of a fight! Leave this place or your friend will get it!"

"Get it? ...I don't think he'd be too opposed to that" Jimmy responded holding in his laughter.

"Wha- ew!" she immediately stopped and pushed Dylan away upon noticing his sleazy grin.

Jimmy broke down in laughter as Dylan took the chance to run towards him.

"Stay away from my sister, you piece of garbage!" a voice screamed out from behind Jimmy, who immediately smacked the metal bat out of the attacker's hands with his shield. 

The black-haired guy quickly picked up the bat and attacked Jimmy again, but was unable to land even a single hit.

He's too weak

The guy's blows could hardly even be called them- there was barely even an impact felt against his shield. A basic whack from a creature could deal a hit fifty times that- it was clear there was a massive difference in strength between Crystal Users and average people. His apparent sister could not even interfere with the conflict due to the chance of hitting him.

Jimmy continued to push the guy back, completely at a loss on how to handle the situation. Luckily, a yellow mass lowered in front of his path on his next charge, bringing him to a half. Rodger stood with his hammer outstretched- a look so intimidating was plastered on his face that the guy finally came to his senses and backed down out of fear.

Rodger continued to monitor the guy with the bat and the fire guy who was still collapsed on the floor after the blow he got earlier. He was clearly still alive, but could not even muster the strength to stand on his feet. Only the whip girl remained who was far too stubborn to give up despite the hopeless situation she was in.

Though it was only Jimmy facing her now, Rodger was able to step in at any time if he needed reinforcement. Every time the whip was flailed over at him, it was effortlessly blocked by his shield. Jimmy continued to approach the girl who was slowly backing away step by step, but it did not take long before her back was pressed up against the wall.

She still refused to surrender.

Her flicks grew more intense and violent as she lashed out in anger, but Jimmy's shield did not stop its approach. A few moments later, she was completely squished between the wall and his shield and hoisted a few feet above the ground.

"Come on, Lyss! Just give it up already, we'll have to find somewhere else to stay" the bat guy shouted from across the room.

The girl's face flared red in anger and she let out a long string of curses before saying:

"Fine! You win, I give up. Now put me down, before I wrap this thing around your neck!"

"Alright, but next time you guys start a fight we won't be so merciful."

Jimmy did as she said and called back his shield sending her crashing to the ground. She rose to her feet muttering some things under her breath and marched over to the other two in her group. A bit of arguing was heard between them, but ultimately they were escorted out of the mall by Rodger. 

He returned a few minutes later to see Jimmy and Dylan talking amongst themselves.

"So... what now, lads?"

"It's simple," Jimmy replied cheerfully, "we leave the mall!"

"... huh?"

 

6