The Crystal Apocalypse – Chapter 11
186 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note: Hey guys! Thank you all for your support so far on this story! Every favorite, rating, and comment that I get fills me with more motivation than I thought possible :D ! If anyone new is reading this, I literally make up the novel as I go with pretty much no plan to guide me, so I sometimes get stuck coming up with the rules of the world and I'm forced to think about how an individual chapter will set me up for the future of the story. Though this chapter might not be anywhere near as exciting as some of the previous ones, its importance can not be stated enough- the groundwork for the series has now been set! Please let me know your first impressions on the new character too :3 Enjoy everyone :D 

---------------------------------------------------------

Luckily, Dylan recovered quickly thanks to the potion. Similar to how Rodger was after getting back to full health, Dylan was many times stronger after becoming a Crystal User. This strength was only further increased once he absorbed his five crystals from the split, which greatly helped cheer him up from what he saw as a disappointing ability. Even with just the bat, he could finally hold his own against some creatures.

"Alright, I'm going to go through the evolution thing now before we waste more time. Mind keeping an eye out while I'm basically dead?" Jimmy asked Rodger while Dylan was doing practice swings off to the side.

"Knock yourself out, kid"

"I literally will," Jimmy replied with a smirk as he sat down and leaned against the wall next to the guard, "hopefully this won't take too long"

[ Would you like to undergo Crystal Evolution? You will be rendered unconscious for the duration of the evolution.]

"Yes, please. Let's do this, robot voice."

[ Affirmation accepted. Crystal Evolution will now commence! ]

Everything went black, but something felt off. Jimmy could feel himself opening his eyes, though only darkness filled his view. He couldn't move his body below the neck nor could he speak, so he simply looked around in utter confusion.

Many moments passed with him stuck like this in the void-like room. There was no way to know how much time had passed with only emptiness in his vision and his mind feeling completely hazy, but eventually, something caught his attention. A dim golden glow appeared far off in the distance. Gradually the light grew closer and took the form of a small silhouette.

Is that... humming?

Since there was nothing able to damper the sound, Jimmy was able to hear it despite being far off from the light. Both the humming and the silhouette became more predominant as it approached. Illuminated by the golden glow was a small creature with a humanoid shape- the only difference being two silver wings attached to its back.

Could that be a fairy? Does that mean-

"Indeed it does, Crystal User! Your adorable Fairy Guide is here!" a high-pitched voice spoke out.

Jimmy was finally able to see the finer details of the small fairy now that she was mere feet away from him. Unlike her silver wings, the fairy wore an outfit made of an odd golden-metal material on her slim body. The metallic outfit resembled vines and leaves that twisted around her; just barely covering everything it needed to. Though her eyes were silver like her wings, her long hair was a light red color that oddly complimented her whole aesthetic.

If she was not the size of a water bottle, Jimmy had no doubt she'd be one of the most beautiful girls in the world.

"Hehehe it looks like we got a charmer here," she joked hearing his thoughts.

I meant it, but be careful snooping around in my mind. I don't like to hold back my thoughts, and with a figure like yours in front of me, there's gonna be a lot of ones that your tiny ears aren't ready for.

"O-of course, you're not really in any condition to hold back even if you tried," she stuttered while looking away to hide a subtle red blush on her tiny face, "I'm not usually able to read your mind though, this place is just an exception to that"

Well, we obviously aren't still at the mall, so where is this anyway?

"We're inside your mind right now. This is normally where your dreams would be taking place, but I took their place to introduce myself. Speaking of which, you not being able to talk and stuff is due to your evolution messing with your consciousness; I was only able to wake up a small part of you because of that"

Well you also woke up a large part of me too

"Oh my god, you really are a pervert!" she cried out while zooming around in circles, "all of the times you thanked me for helping you were just a trick to lure such a pure and beautiful girl into your perverted hands! Kya~!"

Jimmy ignored the fairy who was clearly messing with him, so he could sort out his thoughts which were still extremely cloudy.

I thanked her? Isn't this the first time we met? I mean clearly I'd remember seeing a cute creature like this...

"Ah~ still not ringing a bell?" she asked with a smirk, "I'll give you a hint; I've been with you ever since you first became a Crystal User"

Wait... could you be the robot voice!?

"Ding ding ding- we got a winner!" the fairy exclaimed striking a cute pose, "I guess it's more accurate to call me an android... though even that is a bit misleading. Once you got the Fairy Guide skill my soul fused with the helper AI, so I don't even know what to classify myself as. Anyway, the end result of that fusion is this adorable being with intelligence so high that a robot could never hope to achieve it on its own!"

That's honestly insane, but does that mean you were alive before this whole mess? Like what were you doing before we met? I'd feel insanely bad if I just trapped you here with me.

"Aw~ I guess there was some sweetness buried beneath that mountain of lust after all," she teased with a wink, "I don't know what went on before I got here; my memory was completely wiped. The only things I know are what the system gives me access to and what the AI experienced before we fused"

I'm sorry. That must be terrible not remembering who you are... I'd probably explode trying to figure it out in that situation.

"Don't worry it's not important. I guess once you forget everything, you don't really have any reason to try to remember. I'm honestly terrified that I'll remember something. I don't want to find a memory that would give me the impossible desire to remember more."

The fairy then flew closer and sat on Jimmy's left shoulder, kicking her feet playfully. She was so light that Jimmy hardly felt her land. A faint blush appeared on her face upon hearing him think about how cute she looked up close.

"We don't have much time. Once you're awake, you got to go straight outside and get as many Crystal Points and Battle Credits as you can while the discount is still active! You seriously don't understand how important this time is, so use this opportunity while your evolution is finishing to ask whatever important questions you have."

Got it... so what should I call you? Do you have a name?

"Ugh- I said important questions only, dummy!" she complained flying directly in front of Jimmy's face and pointing at him.

What's more important than getting the name of the cute companion who I'll be traveling with?

"...I guess I can't expect someone only 10% conscious to think clearly," she returned to her spot on his shoulder with a sigh, "I don't have one that I can remember, so how about you give me one?"

That's a lot of responsibility for a guy who can barely think! Let's see... your hair is red like fire, so maybe I should go off of that? Fire...smoke... ash... I got it! How about Ashley?

"Ooo I like it!" she said bouncing up and down, "then I'll call you Shield Boy!"

That name is kind of-

"What's that? I couldn't hear you over all of your pervy thoughts about me, Lust Boy"

Actually, Shield Boy is fine! So Ashley, how many other Fairy Guides are there?

"It's just me!" answered the fairy with a proud expression on her face, "fusing a soul with an AI isn't as easy or cheap as you'd think. It's only practical to send one per sector. The person who gets it is decided on a few factors, but a major aspect of the process is the relationship between the AI and the Crystal User. Whoever is the first person to undergo Crystal Evolution that meets the minimum requirements will receive the skill"

Whoa, I thought legendary skills were rare, but that's on another level completely! Don't get me wrong when I say this, but what exactly do you do though? Like aside from the whole fairy appearance and actual soul, are you the same as the robot voice I had before?

"Of course not! That's like calling a planet a giant pebble! How could you insult such a cute fairy like that!?" with an exaggerated pout, Ashley turned away from Jimmy.

I sincerely apologize for my heinous words, thy beautiful fairy. Would you humble this pitiful creature with your bountiful knowledge?

"... I guess I can forgive you, dummy Shield Boy" she announced with a giggle, "I have access to a huge part of the system that created the whole situation you're in! There's a lot that I'm locked out of, but I have a whole bunch of super important knowledge and tips that will give you a major advantage. I can also analyze other Crystal Users and certain items from the system and do a whole bunch of other cool stuff!" 

All of the anxiousness that he wasted his evolution ability instantly vanished. In this world engulfed in utter panic and confusion, knowledge was more powerful than any crystal weapon.

It looks like I really did strike gold!

"Hehehe, not even gold compares to me!" Ashley smugly exclaimed.

Alright, so back to the topic, would you mind explaining what the whole Battle Broadcast situation- Gah!

An intense headache blocked his thoughts and the empty room suddenly began violently rumbling.

"Shoot, you're waking up, Shield Boy! This shouldn't be happening yet- it's too early! Dangit, you should be fine but you'll be insanely weak while the evolution finishes up, so don't do anything until you get your strength back! I'll be locked away in your shoulder for a bit"

Oi, what do you mean by-

Jimmy shot awake with his face wet with sweat; still plagued by the immense headache.

Rather than the hall where he originally fell asleep, a small store inside the mall encased him- dimly lit by a few candles.

Before he could even process the situation, a strong arm pulled Jimmy into a chokehold from behind.

"Dont... move..."

5