Chapter 8: A vicious cycle of pain and suffering, Popboss
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

What Clyde is

 

The night of the agreed upon meeting finally dawned and Bonnie could barely wait. Once the hour struck, she grabbed her bonnet and hustled out of the house, assuring that she wasn’t being tailed by any watchmen. The moon shined bright across the dozens of stones that made up the center street, giving an otherworldly appearance to the structures all lit in her path. 

 

Hurrying down to the trees bordering the big cathedral, she sees no one, she proceeds to the fields beyond, peering into the boughs to see if she could catch a glimpse of a waiting figure, she had gone only a few yards through the scary area before a hand grasped her arm and stopped her in her tracks. She squealed in fear, squirming until the hand left her mouth. 

 

Breath bated and held in expectation, she turns to behold the big smiling face of Clyde. Relief washed over her, soon exchanged with temporary anger. She expressed that he shouldn’t scare her like that, Clyde only commented “That was worth hearing you sound like a small kitten!” 

 

That embarrassed Bonnie but she had to admit,  it really felt good to see him and thus, reached down for his hand. Together, they strolled through until they got to the empty fields where Clyde knew no one would go at such an hour. Rather than go into further explanations when she asked him why he chose the fields, he simply told her that. “Empty isolated fields are so scary .. “

 

“ Who comes out here so late at night? Unless they’re hiding something shady or have something shady to do … “ Bonnie whispered as Clyde ducked a branch that was in their way. 

 

“ Love how specific you are, Bon “

 

“ We aren’t going to do anything shady “ Clyde chuckled.

 

“ This is like a stroll. Undisturbed, so relax it’s nice “  His words almost put her under a spell, one that put her at ease for the moment as Clyde carried on.

 

“  Us doing this … reminds me of when we first met” 

 

 “Most humans have a fear of the unknown ... but not me, especially if I have you around, like tonight,” His words made her insides tingly, bringing out a shyness that left her unable to respond other than give him a nod. She was still taken aback, they weren’t kids now. She didn’t really know what to even say. Clyde led her to an open field, arriving to the center, where they had a direct view of the vast night sky and could gaze at the stars while conversing.

 

“ My, oh my …. Those jewels in the sky, they’re glimmering much more tonight, must be especially for you“ Clyde joked playfully. 

 

“They seem happy” She responded with a smile as Clyde furrowed his brows and made a closer assessment. “You’ve become more of a sweet talker” She further said. 

 

“Really? They seem like shining tears to me .. as if they could rain down our way at any second .. “ 

 

 “Sorry but … you just bring that out of me” 

 

What he said weirded her out. His observation. One moment he seemed content and silly, but now, a tint of gloom slipped through, further leading her to wonder what Clyde had gone through all those years they were apart. 

 

There was so much to ask, where could she begin? She watched him lay on his back, placing his hat on his chest. Bonnie reached out to take it and placed it on her head. 

 

“ So the others are truly well? Have you spoken to your sister at all? “ She asked, recollecting he had a sister. 

 

“ I’ve exchanged letters here and there, but haven’t had too much contact over the last two months “ 

 

“ Even though the congregation she’s in limits her communication now … I’m not worried about her or anything, she’s safe at the very least “ 

 

“ But you missed her? I’d imagine you get lonely “

 

“ I know truthfully, I have“ Bonnie blushed slightly. 

 

Clyde raised one of his brows, only to laugh faintly. “ No, I’ve had some others keeping me company “

“ Others? “ She internally thought. Thinking back  to Caesar and his claims. 

 

“  But listen, I have something to tell  you,  “

 

“ I have a feeling that,  I know where this is going ..  “ She bit down on the ridge of her lip nervously.

 

“  Others? “ She said softly, fiddling with a flower at her side. The white flower reminded her of something troubling that she too, wanted to get off of her chest.

 

Clyde paused. “Is there something you want to say before I continue? “ He raised a  brow out of concern at the sudden change in her voice.  

 

Bonnie avoided making eye contact with him. She kept her sight on the white flower and it’s petals, a soft wind causing them to move. Clyde noticed tear drops trickle down on the petals. They were crystal clear, the moon’s light reflecting off of them  as each twinkled down like crystal fragments.  

 

 “I’m not pure anymore…” “Although meeting you again has healed me … I feel undeserving of you” 

 

 “It wasn’t only me but the other workers of the house too … when I was adopted. I found it strange he wanted me to sleep with him in his room … I’d never had a father before so I didn’t know what to expect. No one ever came to check and as I grew, it got worse with what he made me do Clyde” 

 

 “What …” Clyde felt his heart drop. 

 

“ Abuse how ? …  “

 

“ Sexually ….. I’m not the pure  flower you think, I felt dirty, there’ve been nights where I contemplated ending it all but willed myself, to keep studying,  I’d leave as soon as I got the chance! “

 

“ Now, you’re here .. and although your so close, you’re so far .. because I can’t be with you “

 

“ You’re right here with me Bon, and what you told me, reinforces what I’m here to do “

“ I didn’t want to tell you, and I still don’t know if you’re going to side with me or not but .. “ 

 

 “ The one that adopted you … is his name Wilferd Nightingale? “

 

Bonnie’s eyes widened, she turned her head slowly up to him with sorrow in them. 

“ That…. He is one of the twisted funders that ran the orphanage and contributed to the cycle that killed Rachel “

 

Bonnie remained speechless. 

 

 

 

“ Let’s just say, I’m partly here to kill your adopted father and the other Capa’s he’s aligned with “ 

What Clyde said, shocked Bonnie. Kill? Her eyes rose up to the angered gaze he had. A gaze burning right through her. 

“I brought you out here, to ask if you’d get in my way … because if you do, I’ll have to kidnap you and use you as bait … I will have to kill you “ Saying such words made Clyde terribly sick, his heart ached but he maintained the exterior cold physode.

 

Right then, memory of her father whispering  in his office, made her question. Was Clyde the one he was talking about?

 

“ I’m taking Strong Crow  .. there’s a lot, I have to explain to  you, but I can only do it, if you make the choice of siding with me Bon .. or else .. “  Clyde reached behind his back,  to where he had his pistol. Crickets chirped, throughout the silence. 

 

What was he doing? Clyde aimed his pistol at her. She questioned, only to be shocked when Clyde tossed his pistol over to her.

 

“ If you’re choosing him, you’ll have to kill me right here .. now that you know my intentions“ The gun landed on the soft grass right in front of her, Bonnie released the clench she had on the flower and shook her head immediately.

 

“ That’s not a question .. I’d never do such a thing to you .. I’d … rather turn that gun on myself! I wouldn’t get in your way Clyde “ 

Her response surprised him back to say the least. 

 

“But he is my adopted father .. even if he did such things, I’m sure he’s capable of change” 

 

 “ That’s not on the table. Especially with what I learned he did to you against your will …” Clyde walked over to her, taking the gun as she’d held it to her chest. He’d managed to swipe it in time as Bonnie had fired it. The shot rang out and the two spun to the ground. 

 

 Clyde stood on top with a sorrowful gaze as she stared into his eyes in return, teary.  

 

 “Heal me, hold … -” Bonnie uttered only to be embraced by Clyde. From a distance in the shadowed treelines, Tom watched. “What … is Clyde doing? Wasn’t he taking her captive?” Soon realizing what was happening, Tom covered his eyes flustered as he couldn’t help but laugh. “So he is interested in a woman afterall” 

 

 “Though the popboss was, well that’s good he’s into women.” 

 

  • He professes to cleanse her and make those memories subside with one’s she actually wants if that’s what she wants. He’s arrived to bring about her true self, the new her. She agrees accepting him as he unbuckles and two hours later, they’re laying with one another in the field, he held her close; though naked. She feels complete as he asks her if she’s okay now and giving a delighted nod, she snuggles into his chest. 

 “I… thought you were tainted?” 

 

 “He didn’t do anything below so by tainted, it was meant like… touch” 

 

 “But- you’re here with your gang?” 

 

“ Mhm, my gang .. you see .. ah- “

 

“ I heard .. from Caesar that you hurt people … tell me  it isn’t so “ She cut in.

 

“ I did it because it was necessary …. “

 

“ Leads into what I wanted to tell you “

 “Everyone is capable of better change … I came to learn he was abused when younger Clyde” Bonnie explained. 

 

“ He’s my father .. gave me a home …. But he’s done so many terrible things .. “ 

 

“ It’s him or me, I’m going to kill him along with those others, I just wanted to know if you’d get in my way “ 

 

 

Clyde leaned up, sliding one hand onto the wet grass that swayed silently around them. “ Funny,  the night sky is so close to us .. I feel like I can reach up and grab one, so many stars in one place “

“ Maybe someday we can, by flying up and grabbing one for yourself“ 

 

“ flying? Up that high? “

 

“ yes, like kamilia bearhert, haven’t you heard? “

 

“ I never stop to listen to those sort of things “ Clyde modestly responded.

 

“ She’s a big inspiration, especially in these times. Not every woman gets to do that you know. Thing seem to be gettin better though “

 

“Only for those at the top” Clyde corrected her. 

 

 “Isn’t it normal to have a good portion evil?” 

 

 “No, that’s what they’d have you believe. But when the consensus becomes genuinely positive, the realm shifts to how it should be when run by divines” 

 

 “When fools that can’t change themselves for the better talk … they only show their weakness because they’re too weak to do it themselves” 

 

 “Those are simply distractions” His tone deepened. She stared at him astonished. Her cheek remained, pressed against her knee.  

 

“She may be the first to fly one of those contraptions but it doesn’t matter, we all get a turn“ Clyde commented as he watched Bonnie shift her sight to a flower, a blush forming along her cheeks upon Clyde turning his head to face her.

 

“ Oh I don’t know about that Cly,  I’m awfully  terrified of heights” 

 

 “I’ve had visions of falling from the sky too- landing here.” 

 

 “Did they make you scared?” 

 

“ Not if you’re with me, I can promise you that “

 

He met her line of sight  as the area around them became clearer. A cloud finished passing. What he said made her face heat up, she only hoped it wasn’t noticeable. Embarrassed, she averted her sight back to the flowers. 

 

 She silently poked at the flower near her feet, tip toeing around the question. “I.. I’m not cut out for that, but I’d want to follow him too .. I don’t know what to say” She thought to herself, zoning out.

 

“ Now you know the reason I came to Strong Crow, is because there’s a meeting …. And there’s someone aside from killing that bastard nightingale and his twisted accomplices “ 

 

“ They’re all linked to the brothel, mobster circuits, related to my father’s death “ 

“ Cly … “ The color drained from her face.

 

“  I have to ask you now “

 

“ Will you stand in my way? “

Bonnie held the flower tightly, uneasy. Clyde took note. “ Your holding that flower … tightly “ 

 

“ Are you thinking of picking that flower? “

 

“ No, ...  If I were to remove it, it’d die “ She snapped back and answered him. 

 

“ I’d rather leave it alone, where it can grow and live a better life “

What bonnie said to Clyde, made him think of his sister. 

 

“ You were clenching it awfully tightly “ Clyde thought aloud in curiosity. 

 

 “If the flower can’t be moved that easily, I only have to dig the ground around it and relocate it somewhere with me without killing it… Doesn’t it sound familiar?” 

 

 She instantly smiled at what the young man said. 

“ Has what I said, shaken you up? Does it bother you? “

“ Will you, turn me in? “ He asked, to which Bonnie stared quickly at him with vigour and shook her head strongly. “ I’d never do that! “ She blurted out almost as if flat out offended he’d even think such a thought. 

 

“ Just making sure  “ Clyde smiled fondly at her, taking in her response. Such sincerity, he could only believe. 

 

He shifted over, laying on his back as he covered his eyes with his hat. He went on to say “ Then Bonnie, I’ll tell you everything .. incase I die “

 

“ Die? Please don’t say such- “

 

“ That’s the way it may have to be. I want someone else to know the truth about how a system to enslave everyone is already present … I won’t let them get away with it .. not for all those who’ve been hurt because of them … “

 

“ Them?  “” Bonnie’s lips parted.

 

“ The corrupt families who’ve tried to manipulate the awakening “

 

“ That adoptive father of yours is in one of them “ Clyde informed Bonnie, surprising her. 

 

“ The corrupted system they had been constructing to enslave everyone and my ambition. An ambition to make all constructive knowledge accessible to anyone seeking it. A vision for true peace, treating ignorance like a disease that has troubled humanity as thinking mammals for many years. It’ll continue for future generations if nothing is done. That will be the destruction of our world.”

 

 “ Long ago .. all I thought about was my survival .. the survival of my sister … but then I learned of the truth .. Understandably, I went from such a small mindset .. to where I am now. Conflicted and wanting to know more. That’s life it seems .. I was rid of my ignorance, but then again, I feel like I still am being ignorant. “

 

“ So I want to know the other side of their motives, truthfully to understand how such sick beings have managed to remain in power “

 

“ About why my father was killed, the perspectives of all those corrupt families before I end them. “

 

“ For now, my main priority is figuring out why my father was killed though. It’s because I don’t know the reasoning behind the one responsible. That person is currently present in Strong Crow. “ 

 

“ I know that if everyone else learns of the truth, then they’ll turn a leaf towards a positive life improving themselves and those around them “

 

She listens fascinated by such convictions, the fire in his voice that added to his passion about trying to do what is right in his view. 

 

“ Drugs took away someone I looked up to …. You know who I’m talking about ..  His name was Alley. It still haunts me but I found the answers of whose responsible …. Those greedy families did it .. not only affecting those who cared a lot for him …. But humanity as a whole .. so many others still being exposed to it, being turned into monsters that deceive and lie as a means to cling to a world that cannot exist anymore …. That old world is to be destroyed and replaced with a pleasant one. All beginning with this depression, they plan to serve oppression by providing a crypto currency. A hidden currency. It’s like, everyone catching up and then the parasites suddenly trying to trick everyone else into playing along with their sick games but that won’t be allowed. Oppression of the mind in part. But….. why “

 

“ Countless mothers and fathers lost themselves .. how are they supposed to help their children when they don’t know what’s truly going on …. Is there no sympathy? Does it not exist to them? I want to understand .. but is it reasonable on my part? “ 

 

“ Drugs, alcohol, hunger .. used to dumb those adults down and that directly affects many children of tomorrow .. it makes those children easy to control under the system that’s being set up to further enslave us all …. I was told of their plans. Slavery hasn’t ended, it’s just evolved, changed to selfishly keep their circle of kings and queens, maintained while the rest wallow in temporary pleasures and misery. Those families have hidden themselves but when you know the truth, it becomes clear and they fear the rest of humanity becoming aware of this .. because that will mark their end and our true free domination to achieving humanities purpose. I may not know that purpose right now, but I know what’s sincerely right and what’s wrong. How do they not know? What… is their view, is it truthfully only greed? Are they … unaware “

 

“ I’ve met so many children who weren’t taught of the negative influences to watch out for .. this depression has divided everyone .. made everyone easier to control for the families.. That’s what they wanted. They constructed the perfect cell for all … a cell to keep bodies and minds trapped .. that’s the only reason that depression was constructed “ 

 

“ They’ve turned so many brothers against each other out here. I’ve regretfully had to put plenty out, in defense to my own life. I did it so they wouldn’t harm anyone down the road. “ Clyde continued to profess with Bonnie listening silently.  

 

“ I hope that more awaken through what I plan to do .. that later down the road, no one will intoxicate themselves. That those adults won’t cripple their bodies, mind and soul. That they’ll lead as positive examples and cast all evils into eternal destruction. That they focus on their passion and are able to freely explore that passion in a positive system that won’t force them to be sheep and work for the greedy corporations and the families that run them .. Hopefully they’ll notice the sheeple and distance themselves from that .. Actually, I really hope there will be less sheep in that sense. More people stand up, less complying to the corrupt demands “

 

Bonnie watched tears swell in Clyde’s eyes as she stood up and placed his hat on his head, she sat by his sadness. He lowered his hat further to mask this, remembering something that kept him up many nights.

 

“ I can’t forget that face .. malli.. that little girl .. was left in this world alone without her parents …. I wish I would've found her before she was dying .. what she told me .. even now, I’m stricken with grief.  I wish I wasn’t already late .. their broken marriage … they were making money but what’s money without someone sincere to spend it with? They were surrounded by sheep that intoxicated themselves to sink further in the illusion. She wound up taken and abused .. All socially plunging themselves further into hell, a hell on this earth.

 

“ 

 

 

 

 “ Is there truthfully a benevolent all seeing god that would throw down an innocent angel like mallie, to this scorned world?  Then again, the belief religion offers is positive, but the context of all those religious fables create the very religious conflicts those corporations endorse, going all the way to the roman church and even further than that. When was christianity first created? All of those religions only create division to distract“ 

 

“ Cly, you’ve really changed …..  “ Bonnie cut in but Clyde went on, spaced out.

 

“ Indulging in betrayals, drama, hatred, corrupt lust, false highs and false acceptances .. weak minds lust and objectify ways to make their miserable false living easier in the expense of others .. preaching and worshipping the division, a crippling disease ….. “

 

“ Who can those people blame? Not the one’s around them who are just like them ..  They can only themselves for maintaining the hellish cycle. That's why I’m going to take out those who are in positions of power and aren’t doing anything sincerely positive. “

 

“ If they wanted to, they can seek those who are bringing the truth to light and shift for the better but of course .. they’re far too addicted to the violence in this world, violence they’ve been predispositioned to since the moment they were conceived “

 

“ I don’t blame them for what they were taught and addicted to. It’s a rush, violence is … Every addiction is very difficult to beat .. too many addictions .. many prefer to let it win .. all selfish acts exerting negative energies. I wish I could change that sooner … Like those addictions, I’m addicted to seeking a positive change so no one falls victim but .. that addiction conflicts with murder. Am I simply doing the same? my addiction will lead to my demise because I can’t break that, there’s no saving me, so in a sense .. Am I crucifying myself? “

 

“ You aren’t late, so don’t wish for anything negative when you’re already working towards making the right change, Cly “ Bonnie leaned up and flicked Clyde’s hat back up as she laid back into the grass and giggled, her voice serene. She put up this facade for his sake. She smiled rather than show she was concerned for his well being. 

 

Yes, he wasn’t alone. For he had his counterpart at his side. One that never judged, but only sought to understand in a world filled with so many misunderstandings that’d drive anyone foolish enough to attempt to comprehend them all, insane in the eyes of most. 

 

“That’s the barrier man has as a thinking mammal, it may very well be the species way of demise .. only when a man truthfully taps into his common sense, will all believed falsities, dissipate into ash ” A few tears trickled down his chin, landing on his lap.

 

 Clyde rubbed his eyes and nodded, reassured. “ Even if I have to seem like the bad guy to get all of the attention, I’ll do it to reach all the judgmental ignorant minds that feed off of negativity .. then I’ll expose them to the truth and help them lead positive lives. That’ll bring down the system that’s being made …. “ 

 

“ I know I’ll be judged .. I’ll be misunderstood ….. “

 

“ I understand you “ Bonnie thought  to herself as Clyde went on.

 

“ But I know I’ll also reach people that understand and have nothing but good in their hearts .. positivity will prevail “

 

“ I’ll embrace and destroy my enemy. Only through that love, will I be able to destroy the corruption that has engrossed inside of me “ 

 

“ And that’s why it’s worth it. I’ll sacrifice my life for that purpose if I have to .. to spark that awakening .. In the long run, it’ll all be worth it “ Clyde looked up to the twinkling stars and smiled, taking in how infinitely vast the universe above them was. 

 

It was bigger than the corrupt system and it’s illusion. “ Truth will come and that goal, lives on in you “ Clyde tapped his wrist, turning to look at Bonnie, who laid back in the grass. He laid back with her, taking his hat off and setting it on her face. She giggled and moved the hat to her chest, he slid his arm around her hip, tugging her into a kiss he focused on her breathing, her essence being his own as he brought up her clothe that laid aside to protect her from the passing wind. 

 

“ You know what I think of that? “ Bonnie asked him. 

 

“ What? “ Clyde responded, holding in the urge to laugh at the sensation of grass brushing along his neck. 

 

“ It’s far better than what’s going on with me “ 

 

He listened curiously as she shares with him, details about her adopted family, her school education, her father’s recent plan to get her engaged and her feelings on the matter. She felt embarrassed telling him about the engagement. Asked him what he thought, to which Clyde replied that she should do what makes her happy. Since he’d been killing the adopted father then the rights of everything would go to her. 

 

Bonnie opened her mouth to respond but she was cut off by Clyde, “ Hang on, there’s a favor I’d like “ just when he said that, a loud horn blared from the distance; echoing throughout the field and past the forest. 

 

 The pair saw a trio of owls fly overhead, prompting them to stand up as Bonnie hurried to finish dressing herself. The horns blare signifying that it is five minutes to curfew for all civilians of Strong Crow. Anyone found after dark, being taken in for questioning. 

 

” Wait outside the courtyard and send in a message, I will come to get you, will you come?”

 

He contemplates his answer, then gave her a nod in acquiescence, delighted, she gave Clyde a hug spontaneously. Bonnie packed her dress up in her arms, runs off towards home. Clyde watched her go, deep feelings had stirred with her reappearance in his life and these feelings were hard to reconcile with his plans. He had no idea how to fit them in order, could he kill her if he had no choice but to? She had told him about her adopted father. That man being one of his targets.

 

Were his goals superior to his feelings, could he hold one and retain the other. There were too many relying on him. Betrayal? .. he thought. She agreed but how could he be so sure? This was bigger than his own sentiments. These musings gave him a lot to think about, the crickets chirp as he walks through the fields back to his hideout in seeming agreement to his predicament.

 

 He stares up at the moon. “ What will I do? …. “ He pondered, only to become distracted by the very moon he was staring at. It put a smile on his face naturally. Clyde tipped back his hat and sighed. 

 

 It looks so very big and seems so very near, the moon had not diminished since she had last looked up, in fact, it seemed even more majestic from her view through the bedroom window. The cushions are comfortable and she revels in the evening she has had. On another evening, with a clouded head and perhaps more activity, she might not have heard but not tonight, her acute senses pick up on a muffled scream and the sounds of blows hitting flesh.

 

It comes from the room down the hall, alarmed, she slips out of bed and goes to investigate, peering out through the slits of her partially opened door, she espies her father and a young servant in the hallway directly in front of a door. 

 

Her father had a hand across her mouth and was pushing her into his chamber. She was struggling but Bonnie could see he was visibly stronger than her, the young servant brought her eyes up, meeting Bonnie’s, who quickly ducked as her adopted father succeeded, in slipping the servant past the threshold, Bonnie heard the sound of a bodice being ripped, mixed with muffled pleads and then the door is slammed shut.  

 

Horrified and shaking in fear from head to toe, she closed her door and then feverishly locked it. It’d only be a matter of time before he turned his sights onto her. 

 

Her father, nothing more than an abusive monster just like those he worked with. That fact became clearer. 

 

The next day, still shaken by the events that she had been privy, she decided to be extra vigilant around her father and to avoid being caught out in any circumstance. She  thought of this on and on, without noticing that her friend Liz arrived in a bustle. At the sight of Liz, Bonnie’s spirits lifted immediately. 

 

That afternoon, the two swapped stories and shared tales of how the holidays had been going. She soon finds herself recounting stories of seeing Clyde again and her friend, Liz watches her face glow, her eyes sparkle and her voice tingle just with the telling.

 

To Liz’s surprise, a servant soon came with a note that a certain Clyde was waiting in the courtyard for Bonnie. Bonnie asked for him to come in, her father had gone out to finalise preparations for the ball and most likely would not be back until it is due to start. Getting this news, Clyde popped in, accompanied by a friend, Herbert wheeler.  Unable to keep her hands off of him, Bonnie hugged him immediately, the moment he came in and Liz winked conspiratorially at her.

 

“ Bonnie, like we talked … your choice is? Will you go  along with what I have planned?“

 

“I will side with you Clyde, I really do love you, seeing you again has reaffirmed that… I could never go against you .. even if it means living a different way, I know I won’t regret it” The rest is lost to the air as their lips collide in a smooching kiss. Clyde’s friend who is seated beside Liz popped a kernel in his mouth sheepishly, popping a hand full right after, in imitation of the smacking sounds emanating from them. Liz visibly had a look of disgust at his imitation as he turned to Liz and remarked. 

 

“Come on, let's re-enact that, can’t have us left behind now”, he tried to grab her arm with a cheeky grin but Liz  slapped his hand away, eyeing  him irritatedly. She scoffs and replies “You wish, just let things be, don’t ruin the mood you palpable fool”. To this Herbert scuffed, winking at her “Got it toots, that lines mighty fine” 

 

 “You ought to change your name to a nun’s cuz’ you’re not getting any like that” 

 

 “As if you’re any better” She said with a puff. 

 

To what he said, Liz tilted he head, she felt as if she'd heard that somewhere before. A radio? She took a closer look at Herbert and realized who he was. A well known singer, her eyes lit up but she kept this to herself as he asked her why she was staring at him wide eyed. 

 

 The four soon found themselves horseback riding. Liz found her interest for Herbert now rising. Clyde’s idea to take a trip. Liz herself was interested enough to encourage Bonnie. Upon their return, Liz still couldn’t fathom one thing.  

 

“What’s Herbert doing here of …  “ Liz thought, hearing something.

 

 Clyde and Bonnie interlocked in a kiss upon Clyde saying he’d have to go for the time being. 

 

The door opens behind the still kissing couple and a maid comes in, she gasps upon seeing the pair and blushes very deeply. Her gasp,  alerted the couple along with their two friends. 

 

Almost immediately Bonnie pulled Clyde down and behind her, in an effort to hide his face from the maid and rather calmly proceed to ask what the matter was. Still blushing, the maid replied “It is almost time for ball and you are not yet dressed, I need you to please come with me”.

 

Hesitatingly, she adds, “I can claim to have seen nothing amiss if only you would come with me immediately, not doing so means I might lose my job and get punished in addition, just come along for my sake, please”.

 

Smiling in reassurance, Bonnie replies “All right, I will come with you, I understand, just a moment”. Turning around, she leans down and whispers into Clyde’s ears, he listens intently and then nods rapidly, listens some more and then they share a glance only to notice Hebert sneak a kiss to Liz who’d accepted as both Bonnie and Clyde squinted. 

 

Bonnie then followed the maid out of the room and towards the dressing chamber leaving the others behind.

 

The die is cast and the ace of spades  is made.

 

 

0