Chapter 1
82 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Ah shit, I’m gonna be late. Dumb Oly. I told her I have a date and she just had to schedule that stupid meeting. Now I’m stuck in traffic, shit. I'll have to make sure to punish her when I get back.'

The woman, still in her mid-twenties, impatiently tapped her finger on her steering wheel while mumbling curses under her breath. Her brows furrowed as she glared at the congested road in front of her. She was supposed to meet her beloved sister half an hour ago but her meeting ran a little later than usual. She wondered whether she should just blow the cars out of the road to save some time or have the roads closed during their dates. She couldn't help but get angrier when thinking about her adorable sister impatiently waiting for her. Just as she was about to decide which spell should she use, her phone lit up, indicating that she had received a message.

[Ate, where are you?]

[You're there already? I’m so sorry Ate is late, work took longer than expected.]

[I’m here. It’s ok Ate, I understand]

'She's always so considerate. Maybe I should just close the roads during our dates, the clean-up after blowing them up would just be a pain anyways.'

Although talking to her sister did lessen a little of her existing irritation, her sister's kindness only made the woman more impatient. She pulled out her phone and started composing a message, indicating her desire to close off the roads whenever she had plans to meet with her sister. But before she could finish, as if the gods were watching, the cars in front of her started to move.

With a smile, she drafted her initial text and opened the message thread with her sister.

[Where are you?]

[By the bench near Rizal's statue]

[Stay there, I'm almost there]

[Ok, take care ❤]

After a few more minutes, the woman was finally able to reach her destination. After parking her car, she swiftly headed to her sister's location. Passing through a series of other visitors and street performers, on a bench by the statue of the country's hero of the past, there she spotted a small girl wearing a pink hoodie that is two sizes bigger than herself, enough to cover her jean shorts and thighs in a distance. She had big headphones covering her ears with a steampunk design and long bangs that partially covers her eyes. She was sitting with her legs crossed while fiddling with her phone as if she had her own world.

Before she approached any further, she pulled out her phone from her long coat and sent her sister another text.

[I'm nearby]

[Where?]

As the small girl sent her text, she looked up from her phone and turned her head from left to right. The woman curled the corners of her mouth upwards as she took her time, deliberately making use of the shadows caused by the sun to hide while approaching the girl.

'How could I have such an adorable girl for a little sister?'

No matter how hard the girl tried, she still couldn't spot her older sister. She puffed her cheeks in annoyance, looking back at her phone, and impatiently tapped its keys to send her sister an angry text.

Seeing that the girl was getting impatient. The woman stepped out of the dark and send a short text before her sister could send hers.

[Look up]

Reading the text, the girl's face lit up as if her impatience was never there, to begin with. The girl looked up and there she found her loving older sister. She wore a grey turtle neck blouse and black sleek jeans, topped with a long brown overcoat. Her large round glasses that partially covered her eyebrow piercings paired with her black lip piercing created a contradicting and mysterious look that added to her charm. Her shoulder-length auburn hair completed her attractive appearance like a cherry on top.

The girl sprung to her feet and ran towards the woman, literally jumping to her arms. The woman, with the phone still in her hand, effortlessly caught the girl with open arms and into a hug.

"Ate Nulla!"

With Nulla being 6'2 and the girl being 5'4, they look like the ideal couple who were meeting for the first time in a long time. The only thing was, they weren't.

After twirling with the girl in her arms a couple of times, Nulla finally let her down with a warm smile. She placed her phone back in her coat pocket, raised her hands between the both of them, and started performing sign language.

|Laya, I'm really sorry about being late, I hope you didn't wait long|

Ligaya - usually called by her sister as 'Laya' - shook her head with a cheerful smile and responded, "I didn't wait that long, besides, I had fun looking through the raid videos of Ultima."

|You've been obsessed with them for a while now. Are they that good?|

Ligaya's eyes twinkled upon hearing her sister's question. It was as if she had found another innocent bystander to corrupt them with her idol's greatness.

She nodded her head like a bobblehead stuck in a car passing through a bumpy road. "Yeah, they are! Especially their tanker - Chris! Although she doesn't look like it, she's close in entering the top 20 in the national rankings for Tanks!"

|What about the other group? The one that was filled with different types of melee attackers?|

"Ahh, them? Their popularity got into their heads after being interviewed by my senior in A.P. Mag so yeah. Didn't like them very much after that."

While the two continued their conversation, Ligaya casually clung to her sister, wrapping her arm around Nulla's arm as if that was its rightful place.

In the eyes of a third party, flowers could almost be seen blossoming around the two. Whether they were a boy or a girl, the bubbly atmosphere of the two would cause them to stop and turn their heads. Even though they weren't the only 'couple' in the area, they surely acted more like lovers than those who were actually in love.

"Oh right, by the way, Ate, during the second preliminary awakened examination in the Drawish Institute, you know, the one I covered two weeks ago? There was - "

Spotting a café in a distance, Nulla raised her hand to stop Ligaya mid-sentence and pointed at a small building with a pastel green theme. It was surrounded by a small white wooden fence with small pastel-colored tables situated in front.

|Shall we continue the conversation over some milk tea?|

Ligaya turned her head followed Nulla's finger, brightening up her mood even more. "Race you!" She yelled as she let go of her sister's arm and ran straight for the building, not caring about how childish she looked to other people.

Nulla's eyes widened and almost pulled her sister back to her. Fortunately, she was able to stop herself from doing so after realizing that there weren't that many people surrounding them. She wouldn't be in an accident unless someone deliberately injures her precious sister.

When Ligaya was already halfway towards the café, she suddenly tripped on herself, as if mocking Nulla's earlier realization. But before Ligaya could kiss the hot, concrete floor, her sister swiftly manipulated the wind surrounding her and gave herself a boost. Nulla rushed towards falling sister, wrapping her arm around her clumsy sister's waist from behind, pulling Ligaya back in Nulla's arms.

It was as if the world had stopped for a moment. Seeing that Ligaya was safe in front of her, Nulla breathed a sigh of relief.

'I'll tell Oly to fire the park manager when we get home. My sister almost got injured because of their incompetence.'

Not fully understanding why her sister was hugging her from the back, she straightened herself, turned around, and frowned.

"You're cheating!"

Nulla was slightly taken aback at her sister's response. She probably didn't realize that she was about to hurt herself while she was gleefully running. Even though it was unreasonable, Nulla wouldn't dare reprimand Ligaya, she instead chuckled in her heart and mentally shook her head as she let her sister go.

|I'm sorry|

That was all Nulla could do.

"Humph! Because of that, you're buying, okay?" Ligaya reprimanded her sister, crossing her arms with pouted lips, looking like a spoiled young lady coming from a rich background - which she is.

Nulla nodded and gave her sister a warm and understanding smile, offering her arm for Ligaya to hold on to, which the latter happily accepted.

Forgetting the earlier situation and thought nothing but the upcoming milk tea she was about to receive, Ligaya happily skipped towards the café with Nulla in her arms.

 

Hi, so the story proper starts with our characters already in their adulthood. I know it's a little confusing and a little out of place, especially with the prologue, but I swear it'll make sense, even if it's a little further down the road.

There's a lot I have planned for this story so yeah. . . I hope you enjoy reading this series just as much I enjoy writing about it!

Thank you so much for reading!

Don't forget to check out my website nihilumcreations.wordpress.com where I mainly post my stuff.

By the way, the spoilers I added on the author's notes aren't really 'spoilers' per se, just additional something I guess? It's entirely up to you if you want to read it or not, it's not that relevant with the story anyway. It's just a little something.

Spoiler

Entry #1 . . . No idea what day it is today

 

They said that the blessings you receive when you awaken directly correspond to what element is prominent in your life. If you're surrounded by water, whether you live by the sea, love swimming, or had a traumatic experience concerning water, you'll be blessed with a water spirit. If you're surrounded by fire users, or almost died because of your burning house, you get to live with a fire spirit. It's the same with any other elements.

 

In my case, the earliest I could remember was being dumped in the trash like garbage in the slums when I was two. Being a two-year-old in the slums is no butterflies and rainbows. No matter how hard I cried because of hunger, loneliness, or even because I soiled my pants, no one chose to hear me. It was a hard life.

 

I spent more than a week in that dumpster, scavenging through the trash, hoping to find something, anything to fill my stomach before it eats itself due to extreme hunger. But I wasn't the only one hungry in the slums, and trust me, the strength of a two-year-old cannot be trusted even if we were all weak and hungry. It was already godsent that my competitors didn't turn to me whenever they couldn't harvest anything out of that dump. It didn't even help that the current generation of humans is already stronger than during the previous century even if they weren't blessed. Life was hard.

 

After a year of being hungry, being beaten half-to-death most of the time, scavenging for crumbs instead of scraps, and barely sleeping through the night due to fear of being eaten in this dog eat dog environment, I finally knew what I had to do to ensure myself some sense of 'living'.

 

If the problem was having to share the things being sent to the slums, then the solution wasn't being faster than the rest, but being the only one among the rest. And that's what I did. I started eliminating my competitors, starting from my crumb-hunting.

 

Because a three-year-old weak kid from the slums barely has any strength, the only way I could pluck them off one by one was by catching them off-guard. I couldn't go straight to the 'boss' of the kids since that would just be a one-way ticket to death, so I had to pick someone a little more my size.

 

My first kill was a boy who was half a head taller than me. Him being my first kill and me who had no idea what I was doing at the time, picked up a metal shiv in the area, walked up to his sleeping figure as quietly as I could, and stabbed him in the gut - which was a stupid move if you're planning for a one-hit one-kill kind of thing, I know that now. Being stabbed in the gut sure is painful, but it wasn't as deadly as one could hope. And the natural response when feeling something extremely painful is to scream, which he did.

 

I panicked. I experienced an outright panic attack that I stabbed the kid again and again in hopes to shut him up. A kid releasing an agonizing scream would of course attract other people, regardless of whether they cared enough to stop the killing or just in it for the show. But I wasn't going to risk being discovered, especially when I still aim to be the only kid in the slums.

 

When I heard other people approaching, I didn't even look back at the boy who turned into bloody swiss cheese and just ran away, my trembling hands tightly wrapped around the metal shiv. It wasn't until I was out of breath from all the running did I realize I was drenched in the boy's blood and that I was leaving bloody footprints on the ground. Stupid right?

 

Since looking for cloth would be a fool's errand at this point, I did the next best thing, run to the sewers. It may be the sewers but water is still water no matter how disgusting it is, and trust me if normal sewers already make you want to vomit? Wait 'till you get a whiff out of the sewers in the slums.

 

But enough of that, now, where was I? Ahh yeah, me escaping from murdering a boy and at the same time leading them to the said murderer by leaving a fresh set of bloody footprints.

 

Living in the slums has more or less built up my immunity to the smell of the sewers, but entering that particular part of the sewers still made me think twice, and I was already desperate to clean myself. Still, my desire for ruling the scavenging areas for kids weighed heavier than the rotting stench of the sewers so I pushed through.

 

I didn't want to be discovered right away if they ever decided to pursue me in the sewers so I wandered a little deeper before finally washing. I just hope it wouldn't smell that bad once I get out of here.

 

While washing myself using the sticky waters running through the canals, I heard something aside from running water in the background. If you've lived long enough in the slums, you know that anything is always something. So I hid in the darkest corner I could find and erased my presence as much as I could, considering myself as part of the molded walls of the sewers.

 

While controlling my breathing, doing my best to not vomit what little food was inside my stomach, I could see something skittering through the floor. With barely any light, and my eyes long adjusted to the darkness in the sewer, I could somewhat make something out of it.

 

It was big, probably three times bigger than me. It was on all fours, its head lowered down on the ground and a tail sweeping the floor behind it. Now, I know I haven't lived long nor have I been outside the slums to say that I'm knowledgeable, but I knew that thing couldn't possibly be human.

 

I gasped before covering my mouth as I realized that it really wasn't human. What's more, it turned in my direction because I gasped! I gulped in fear, tasting the mixture of nauseating smells as I swallowed down my flight response. It looked straight at me with its bulging bloodshot eyes.

 

My stare-off with that monster most likely only lasted for a few seconds, but I swear it felt like that encounter shaved off at least a few decades in my meager lifespan.

 

After that monster left, I waited for a few more moments until I could no longer hear its sweeping tail before sighing the heaviest breath of relief as I fell on my arse. This place just reached a whole new level of disgust in my book.

 

Without wasting any more time brooding about my near-death encounter with a monster for the first time, I scampered on my feet and left in a hurry, slipping and stumbling on my way out of the sewer.

 

By the time I was out, the sun was starting to rise and the dark sky was tinged with a beautiful mixture of orange, yellow, and red. Being greeted by such scenery makes one think how precious life is, only if one saw it anywhere but the slums.

 

The reality of the situation only allowed me to appreciate the view for half a second since what was really waiting for me was a group of adults. I'm guessing they're the ones who heard that boy's scream.

 

While my brain was running in full gear on whether I should go back in and risk seeing that monster again, or face the mob and risk being eaten by this pack of hungry savages, a man in the crowd saw me and pointed in my direction. Crap.

 

I grabbed a hold of myself as I slowly met the approaching group with tiny little steps, literally hugging myself with my left arm as my right clenched on the hem of my pitiful excuse for a set of clothing.

 

I couldn't really understand what they were saying, my mind was still out of it from processing what just happened and what I should do next. When they were starting to get impatient due to me not responding and my meek appearance, one of them started to shout, which was reprimanded by another one within the group. They started to argue among themselves. Great, continue fighting so I can think about what should I do.

 

Seeing that one of them was pointing at the bloody footprints, I knew that they really were looking for me - I mean that boy's murderer. Since the minority thinks that I was the one who did it, or at least I know who did - of course I do but like hell I'll tell them that - I put on my best impression of a scared little kid.

 

It was relatively easy since the figure of the monster was still fresh in my mind. Using my earlier experience as motivation, I started to tear up - haven't used these bad boys since I was left in the dumpster, you better not let me down now.

 

"I'm sorry, I know nothing. I was just so hungry that I went to the smelly place for food. Been three days since I ate. . . It hurts so much. . . I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. . ."

 

My tears were so good that the group went silent. My body even cooperated that my stomach screamed just in time to add to the drama. I was even surprised at myself that I was able to think up such a lame excuse in the spur of the moment.

 

A woman came to me and soothed me. She told me to stop crying and that it wasn't my fault for not knowing anything. She even gave me a half-eaten bread she got from someone in the group. Wow, I'm good.

 

Though I was proud of myself for scoring food easily, I still had to push those emotions down and stick to the script, else, I'll blow my cover and things could turn for the worse.

 

I ate the bread while sniffing back up my snot and wiping my tears, but they just wouldn't stop, the bread was so good. . . I mean, sure it was hard and had a little mold but it was still bread, real bread, and not crumbs.

 

This is life. . .

 

It was an eventful day. I learned many things. I learned that when killing someone, make sure they can't scream or they'll attract other people when you're doing the deed. I also learned to avoid stepping or generally touching the blood to not leave any trace. There was also that thing with the monster; two-legged savages are better than four-legged ones. And when caught, use tears and other means to look pitiful to get away with it.

[collapse]

2