Chapter 16
73 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Time to improvise a bit!”

 

I rotate the Aura inside my body, circulating it faster and faster, enhancing my body. Then, I created a double of myself using my Aura like I did back home. Huh, it comes out smoothly; I got stronger a little.

 

“Here I go!” I charged ahead, trying to get close, but I am immediately greeted by a barrage of spells. That’s where my Aura Double came in. As I drew the attention, I controlled my Aura Double to stealthily approached my reflection. I only have this one chance as this is taxing on my body.

 

“NOW!” I shouted, startling my doppelganger as my Aura Double drove a sword right into its chest. Surprised, my doppelganger turned his body around; this gave me the chance to get close. “DIE!” I slashed my sword at his neck, cutting his head off of his body. 

 

My doppelganger body disappeared in a flash of light as the scenery around me changed. I was back in the previous white room. “Congratulations, Fate Master, for clearing the test of might.” The room AI tells me in its usual robotic voice. “Your power was quite unique, Fate Master; in all my life serving as a guide in this room, I have never seen anything like it.” The robotic voice said, showing curiosity at my power.

 

“Thank you, I’m flattered.” I bowed, showing courtesy to the room AI, “So, am I the first one?”

 

“Yes, Fate Master. As the guide assigned at this Trials Ground, I congratulate you once again for clearing the test of might.” The room AI said as an item appeared from out of nowhere in front of me. “What’s this?” I reached toward the item. It revealed itself to be a sword, black in colour with yellow patterns on its blade.

 

“A reward exclusive to you, Fate Master. Each of the trials will reward Fate Master with items benefiting your situation. So please, when you cleared this Trials Ground, seek others if you want to get stronger as a Fate Master.”

 

“Is that so….” I pondered, then 3 screens dropped down from the ceiling. Each of the screens showed different trials; one for Davida, one for Duncan and another for Diane.

 

===

 

Duncan lay on the ground, battered and bloodied. His younger doppelganger condition wasn’t that much better. He knelt on the now reddened grass, with his left hand cut off and his eyes gouged out. Duncan felt elated, thinking that he finally surpassed his former self. Struggling, he managed to get up, using his now broken greatsword as support. “You fought valiantly young me. But, I experience many things you haven’t, and our resolve was simply not on par.” He used the broken greatsword to impale the chest of his younger self.

 

“Congratulations, Duncan Willis, for completing the test of might. In a few seconds, you will be transported into the waiting area.” Said the robotic voice. Duncan nodded, then both he and his younger doppelganger disappeared into thin air.

 

===

 

Davida faced her sister, looking haggard while the latter calmly stood against her. “Huff, huff, huff…. As expected from my sister. Even with my magic invented tools, I still stood no chance.” She smiled wryly. She has given her all, but her sister doppelganger managed to deal with every single attack Davida’s dealt.

 

Davida looked up and sees her sister slowly approached her. “Here to finish me off, huh?” Davida sighed in exasperation. As her sister closes in, Davida reached into her robe; a small dagger appeared in her hands as she lunged towards Gabriella doppelganger. Caught off guard, Gabriella’s doppelganger tried to dodge, but her feet stumbled upon a rock; this gave Davida the chance to drive the knife deep into Gabriella’s chest.

 

“Sorry, sis, as this is a simulator, I’ll not hold anything back.” Davida flashed a smile before it turned into a frown. Gabriella’s doppelganger disappeared from the spot and appeared behind Davida. Davida clicked her tongue in annoyance, “You even counted for a situation like this?” Gabriella’s doppelganger extended her staff at Davida’s back, then blasts her off with a fireball.

 

“Davida La Palapa failed the Test of Might. Transfering participant to the waiting room.” The robotic voice announced.

 

===

 

Diane Treeborn was not having a good time. Just a few moments ago, an army of spider kept chasing her, forcing her to flee and hide. Why not just fight it? Well, Diane Treeborn has a phobia of spiders. When she was a child, she witnessed an Arachne killed both of her parents in cold blood; she was scared of spiders from then on. Her peers mocked her for it, even discriminate against her for her phobia. Not Duncan and Davida, though. They both understand her pain and accept her for who she is.

 

But now, she had to face her biggest fear. Giant spiders or known as Arachne kept chasing her, and she couldn’t escape until she killed all of them or be killed by them instead. She thought about killing herself to the Arachne; alas, something inside her won’t let her do that. That’s why she ran and hide. As an elf, hiding inside a forest was quite an easy thing for her to do. But, no matter how well she hides, the Arachne kept finding her.  

 

She kept running and hiding and running and hiding for how many hours she could before tripping on a single branch of a tree. Diane terrified looks perfectly describing her mental state as three Arachne jumped down from the top of the tree, appearing in front of her. She crawls backwards, trying her hardest to escape the Arachne but her effort was for nothing. She closed her eyes, helplessly resigning to her fate.

 

Then, a voice came out of nowhere inside her head. Don’t give up, they said. The voice felt familiar to Diane. The motherly yet firm voice that she loved hearing since she was a child, together with the strong yet gentle voice that always reassured Diane when she was in pain, resounded in her head. It kept echoing louder and louder inside of Diane’s head, telling her not to give up.

 

Diane’s eyes shot open, then an enormous gale emerged from Diane, throwing the Arachne’s away. Diane holds her chest tight, murmured, “Mom, dad. I’m still afraid, but thanks for lending me strength.”

 

--- “Congratulations to Diane Treeborn for passing the Test of Might. You will be transported to the waiting room in a while.” The robotic voice announced Diane’s victory as she faded away from the forest.

3