6 System, Pact, and an Alien
370 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The stark white surface was replaced with an image other than the map, and a greater attached headache to match. It was a blue humanoid, though James couldn’t be sure of the scale since the background remained that same white sign, so really it could be five meters tall, or five centimeters. It had a flat nose, with several slits angled along it on either side of where a nose would normally be. It was also hairless, but that statement was misleading because instead of hair it seemed to have navy cat-like fur on its head. Its eyes were humanoid in all but color, a deep shade of purple shining through with no eyelashes. The lips weren’t defined, just a line that seemed to close entirely when it wasn’t speaking.

A hush fell over the crowd of humans, all of them staring at the alien. Because no special effects, makeup, or prosthetics could reproduce its appearance. Before the silence could be replaced by an uproar the likes of which James was sure she did not want to experience, it began to speak. In English, because apparently aliens spoke in English.

“Welcome to the fifth planet tutorial.” Its lips seemed to move in deliberate movements, making sure to pronounce the words in their entirety. And while some of the words seemed to want to be capitalized, its lack of enthusiasm seemed to rob them of that chance. It was that same robotic but almost natural sounding voice that James had noted coming from the earlier signs. “Your planet has been deemed ready by the system to enter the System. In accordance with Pact Section 12b.4 I will be introducing the System and the Pact to you before you begin your Tutorial.”

Despite giving no indication of any emotion, or most likely because of it, James got the distinct impression this being was annoyed by this obligation. She tried to listen and take mental notes, a hard task given her close proximity to the other people in the crowd. And the fact that it was an alien. Because she was totally geeking out inside. She bitterly wished she had her tablet with her so she could better ignore all the distractions.

“The System is the governing system of our universe and is responsible for any notifications you have received. It both interprets the world and affects it according to our actions and choices. It can help you reach heights you cannot yet comprehend or lows of the same magnitude.

“The Pact is the government in this region. As your planet is Awakening within its boundaries, you are under its jurisdiction. The System recognizes this and lets it interact with Tutorials in its territory. Once you have finished with the Tutorial you may even be recruited to work for the betterment of the Pact.” The last bit was said with distaste, how James knew this she didn’t know. Nonetheless, it was undoubtedly fact. “May you aim for the stars and reach beyond them.” The broadcast ended without preamble, and with it the headache on the sign reverted back to its inert state.

Hushed whispers enveloped the crowd. After all, their whole planet had just been annexed. And that was the minor bit of news. They had been enveloped by the System, something that convinced a good portion of them they were crazy just an hour prior. And, of course, they had all just gotten a speech from an alien. Such events just weren’t meant for real life.

“I gotta say, this is exciting! We’re living history!” James looked sideways at Prof’s withered face.

“You’re right, I’m sure this is the first time you’ve been in such a situation.” She deadpanned, refusing to look anywhere but his eyes. He sputtered in mock outrage, his hand going to his waxed mustache and twisting it. The moment of levity passed too fast, and he turned to her, still twisting his mustache.

“What do you make of this?”

“Aren’t you the professor?” she continued, “I think we’ll need to get through the Tutorial before we make any real judgements. The Pact does seem to have laws, but everything still feels subservient to the System. I don’t even know if standing out or not is actually beneficial or not.” Prof nodded back at her.

“Their laws don’t mean much. We got maybe two paragraphs combined about the System and the Pact. And that seems to just be a policy. Oh well, we already live in a bureaucracy, how bad could it be?” He would later learn that, yes, surprisingly, multi-universe conglomerates could be much worse than filling out his current tax forms.

Quest: Find your workstation.

Reward: Learn your first Skill!

 

The notification came out of nowhere, and apparently was directed at all the tutorial participants. And it didn’t take long for the crowd to figure that the workstations were most likely in the new medieval structure in front of them.

James tried to stand still and let herself be passed, but she was inevitably jostled between the crowds of people going to the heavy wooden doors. And every time somebody touched her, she inevitably flinched, becoming a statuesque figure in the newly created stream of people. A small amount did stay back, but this was a college town full of college kids. This meant that fear of consequences was at an all-time low.

Prof stayed with her, getting as close to her as he could without touching her, neither one wanting to get swept up in the weird fervor that seemed to envelope most everyone else.

A couple of guys got together (James was right in that the doors were extraordinarily heavy) and managed to pry the door open. Finally, there was proper inlet for the people to disperse into, and the area began to properly clear. James idly wondered how all those people could fit in the newly erected building. The park had seemed much too full to be emptied out in such a fashion. Slowly, the people that had been left behind walked inwards to the tutorial area, now convinced that there were no dangerous artifacts in there.

“I’m heading in. You follow when you’re ready.” Prof went to pat her shoulder but thought better of it, something James was extraordinarily thankful for. She was in sensory overload and just needed some time to herself. She managed to smile shakily at him and almost collapsed on the ground when he made it through the door. Finally, she was alone. Maybe now she could actually think.

12