Chapter 2
32 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I begin to walk up the mountain, I notice a few things. One, the trees look kind of black, but are not burnt, same with the leaves and the ground. They are not entirely black, a natural color with a tint of black added. Two, the trees are huge, bigger than any tree I've seen. They seem to be wider than  a car and taller than most buildings except those really tall ones in cities. The lower branches of the trees do not seem to have a lot of trees. They kind of remind me of red wood trees, though I have. With that, there is a lot of space between the trees, enough to drive cars through. There are weeds and other small plants but they seem to struggle to survive. Lastly, there seemed to be darkness, it was like a fog, not of white but of black. However, it was not very thick and one could still tell that it was day.

There was still hardly any sound to be heard and I saw no animal life so far, like squirrels. 

I wonder where on earth this is… unless like I thought this is not earth. 

I keep on walking, climbing higher and higher. 

CRAAAAAWER!!!

I paused for a second, kind of like a frozen in the headlights action. I then quickly looked around, as my hand quickly reached my handgun.

 what the fuck was that?!? was it a lion but…. but it sounded too high pitched for a lion…..

ROOOARRR!!!

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

ROOOARRR!!!

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

The noises sounded like they were far at first but they started to come closer.

Those roars are different. Are they competing with each other?..... They are getting closer, I better hide.

I quickly found a tree with some vines and shrubbery at its base and hid there. 

ROOOARRR!!!

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

CRAaaa...

GURARUAURUA!!!

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

The noises began to get really loud, so I thought they were close and about to show up, but it kept getting louder and louder. 

That is loud…..

GROWWEL!!!

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

The noises were almost deafening, but I still did not cover my ears as I looked in the direction of the coming sound when suddenly I saw it.

WHACK 

GROWWEL!!! 

The fuck…..WHAT THE FUCK ARE THOSE?!?!?

Flying beasts had entered my view as they flew over the trees even hitting the top of some trees. In the lead was a huge one, it had a long neck like a snake, big wings like a bat and a long tail like a lizard. There were several, about half a dozen of smaller flying beasts chasing it. They had feathered wings like eagles, bodies like a lion, head of an eagle and the claws of an eagle too. They scratched and pecked at the bigger flying beast. The bigger beast then quickly turned its head with an opened mouth heading toward a gryphon that had just pecked it. 

CHOMP CRUNCH CRACK 

It caught the smaller beast in its mouth.

CAAAARAACaaaaa.

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

CRAAAAAWER!!! CRAAAAAWER!!!

As a small one was getting crushed to death by the bigger beast the other small ones became more aggressive with their attack.

The bigger one growled as its eye was nearly slashed as it flew over me. It shook its head exerting even more force into crushing its caught pest releasing its anger.

CRawAAEADaec….

It went silent and just as the flying beasts were gonna fly out of view the big beast threw the pest out of its mouth to the side into a tree and kept flying as the other small beasts hounded it.

What the fuck…. I have never seen those on the discovery channel. I must not be on earth…. I think. It's not like I have been everywhere in the world. 

I panicked a little, not sure what to think about this. I then stopped to make a few calming breaths.

Alright, let's check out that small beast that fell.

It took me a few minutes to get to the area where I saw it fall. There it was. A beast 3 times the size of me. laying on the ground in the forest. It was still, its wings looked broken and its bones were visible with blood forming a puddle beneath it. 

I slowly approached it to get a better look.

That…. .that looks like a gryphon in fantasy. I didn’t think they were real… I guess they are unless this is a complex dream but I am gonna pretend that it is not an option from now on because if I wake up then it's fine but if it is not a dream then it would be bad to treat it like one.

I told myself again my rationale and calmed my slightly nervous breaths.

I then got closer to the corpse till I was finally about 10 feet away when suddenly I heard a noise.

COCKADUUDALUU!!!

I froze.

COCKADUUDALUU!!! COCKADUUDALUU!!! COCKADUUDALUU!!!

The noises were coming closer.

Those sound like loud chickens…… wait?! Are they really chickens?! Gryphons are real! Which means that other fantasy creatures could be real! Other creatures I don’t know about may exist. It is best to get away from a corpse.

 I started to back away from the corpse and get away from the sound. 

I have no idea what that sound is, it could be dangerous.

 I thought as I started to lightly run down the mountain at an angle away from where I heard the sounds. I began to sweat.

I need to calm down…

I started to take calming breaths as I ran. I knew that panicking is the worst idea when in extreme circumstances. 

COCKADUUDALUU!!! COCKADUUDALUU!!! COCKADUUDALUU!!!

They were loud and were definitely at where the body of the gryphon was. I kept fleeing. 

After a couple of minutes, I was a fair distance from where I had found the body and stopped to take a breath. 

It would seem that I am not in Kansas anymore. 

I chuckled at my stupid joke. and took a seat on a rock near a tree. 

Alright, dangerous animals exist, I can call them monsters and the environment looks strange. I need shelter, food, water and to find a safe place where there are no monsters. Are there humans or other intelligent creatures? I need to find them if there are and get their help. ….I wonder if there is magic.

Thump.

I heard a footstep nearby and I turned towards the sound.

I saw a chicken head look at me up the hill about 50 meters away from me. A normal chicken would have been no big deal, but this chicken was big, bigger than an ostrich and the shape was different. It had the head of a chicken but the body looked more like a raptor. Also, the chicken has blood on its beak. 

It was looking right at me, it definitely saw me.

“...fuck”

It arched its neck to the sky and 

COCKADUUDALUU!!!

I stood up and pulled out my pistol and aimed at it. 

I doubt I can out run it, is there somewhere I can hide?

A quick look around  told me that there was not.

Thump Thump Thump

Its claws dug into the earth a little as it slowly walked towards me. 

COCKADUUDALUU!!! COCKADUUDALUU!!! COCKADUUDALUU!!!

….FUCK!!!! There are more of them coming!!! Did it call its friends?!?!

I was starting to panic, but for now kept facing the chicken.

COCKADUUDALUU!!!

The one in front of me responded to the call as it slowly walked towards me.

Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump

They came into view. There they were, the other chickens, there were 4 of them in total now.

Fuck…. fuck…… fuck  There is no way I can run.

They reached the first one and then started to spread out to the sides. I suddenly noticed something, the comb on all the chickens was kinda red, but one of them had a huge comb and it was slightly purple.  This one stayed in front of me while the others went to the sides, 2 to the right and 1 to the left. 

That one must be the leader. 

 They walked slowly, watching me with their swiveled heads, it was kinda creepy. 

I was breathing hard, nervous and sweating…. when suddenly a certain calm came over me. I was still nervous, but my breathing calmed.

This is a fight for my life…. I will not become an easy meal!

 They now  had me surrounded in a half circle about 15 meters away from me. 

I am gonna shoot from right to left.

I turned to the right and aimed at the chicken on the far right. They saw me take this action and all the chickens stopped moving like they had sensed something but they had no way of knowing what a gun was and how it worked. 

I pulled the trigger.

BANG!!!

The chicken on the far right jerked backwards. I knew I had hit it, but it did not go down. 

I unloaded/

BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! 

The chicken started to go down and it was evident that it was bleeding from the lower neck and upper body.

The other chickens seemed to be shocked and were unsure what to do but then the leader made a call.

CLUUUCK!!!

I turned to aim at the next one and they started to turn to me to rush at me.

BANG!!! BANG!!! 

Because this one had crouched as it ran straight at me it was obvious that one of the bullets went straight through its eye and it fell.

THUMP THUMP

I turned to the leader. It was about 10 meters away from me now. I aimed and pulled the trigger.

BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!!

I had hit it for sure, but it was still running at me.

BANG!!! 

I was shooting slower because I knew I only had 12 bullets in my mag, and changing mags would be suicide. 

Luckily that last shot seemed to stop it and it fell to the ground about 5 meters away from me.

I then turned to the last one, which was on my far left. It was close, too close.

It opened its mouth wide. I did not aim as well, looking through the sight but simply turned my gun towards it and pulled the trigger.

BANG!!!

Its mouth started to swoop on me and I tried to back up and dodge to the right. 

CHOMP SQUISH

“GUAHAH!!!” 

I screamed as it chomped on my left shoulder. I fell backwards and it stayed clamped onto my shoulder. I hit the ground.

THUD

It started to chomp harder and I could feel my bones starting to bend and would possibly break soon.

In a moment of desperation I quickly moved my right arm holding the pistol and aimed it at point blank range right at the side of its head, more specifically its eye.

BANG!!!

Blood splattered onto my face and the chomp of the chicken lost its force. It slowly fell over.

THUD

I laid there panting and with my heart beating fast.

That was fucking close…. Thank god I had a full mag. I almost died……

 

1