Mystery Woman
297 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Standing in front of the famous 29-story building nicknamed the Turret for it's grand design and extremely amounts of security, was a lot of people.

Most of these people were policemen and policewoman while the rest was the press. In the front doorway to the building stood three people: two woman and a man.

"Good morning detective, analyst" (Captain)

"Morning captain. Kaori, let's go" (Emi)

Without bothering with the pleasantries with their captain, Detective Emi and Analyst Kaori were back on another case. This time, it was probably an assassination.

"Kaori, take a mask. You might... spew" (Emi)

"Yes ma'am!" (Kaori)

Following her boss' orders, Kaori took an N-95 mask from one of the assistant police officers and daintily ran back to Emi. Instead of a mask, Emi went in without any protection.

Usually, this would be a bad thing. Infections might happen. However, Emi is a professional. She has seen many things before and nothing fazes her anymore.

"I'm ready, boss!" (Kaori)

"Good. Don't vomit please" (Emi)

With a set of white medical gloves on both of them, Emi held the tip of the door handle and opened up the escape staircase entrance. The eerily creaking door echoed in their ears.

Kaori audibly gulped in suspense and Emi let out a heavy sigh. The door was opened up to it's fullest, finally exposing the innards of the stairwell, as well as the innards of some human beings.  At least, they were human beings.

The previously human looking goo was absolutely horrific. It was terrifying. Kaori, a fairly new analyst, gagged loudly. Her eyes were teary, but no one but her knew if it was from sadness, disgust or the smell.

She ran out of the stairwell, straight into a nearby disposal bag and started vomiting her entire breakfast. This proved too much for the young hire.

Wryly smiling, Emi can't really blame her for that reaction. The scene jumped from a clean, spotless porch into a literally bloodbath. The walls, ceiling and floor were painted in guts and blood.

'Well... I can't blame her, I guess. I know I'd act like that if I were in her position'

Another officer witnessed it and he was a fairly senior officer, used to gang violences and kidnapping cases. This is just another day for him, albeit much more bloody than anything he's ever seen this last year.

He approached Emi to ask about in concern. Concern for the employee, and concern for the crime scene.

"Something wrong with her?" (Officer)

"New hire" (Emi)

"Well, make sure she doesn't contaminate anything. I'll leave you alone for now, Detective" (Officer)

"Yep. Have a good day" (Emi)

When Emi saw that the officer was already outside, she heaved a big sigh out from her mouth and started stretching arms, readying for some examination.

Since this is too heavy of a case for Kaori, she will handle this alone. Kaori can help in the office duties and some help that doesn't require direct contact with the "body"... if you could call it that.

Direct contact with the goo, and the other bodies.

As Emi crouched down and got a closer look at the goo in front of her, she looked up at the stairs and saw some of the other bodies either hanging off the stairs or staining the sides of the staircase.

She moved on from the first body and checked on the second body. Then the third, fourth and so on. On the walls, she also noticed that there was black marks all over them.

The walls were chipped and cut. Black marks left ugly scars on them that would be hard to replace. The blood made it worse, seeping into the concrete and slightly weakening it.

This was the work of not assassins anymore. This was an act of terror. The act of terrorists. The only weapon that could cause this isn't even known by her.

All she knows is that you can't buy this stuff locally, even if you were a part of the JSDF, Japan's "army".

The bullet holes in the walls also proved that these attackers weren't a normal group. They had, or still have access to illegal weaponry like firearms and some special grenades.

Emi eventually reached the top floor where the alleged target of these terrorists were and found a peaceful, yet sorrowful scene.

A sickly-looking old man sitting upright in his chair. His eyes were closed and his neck was loose, as if he was sleeping. He was, but not in the resting sense. He was, in fact, dead.

Even though his nine bodyguards were killed, even though these terrorists murdered him, he died with a smile on his face. She heaved a sigh of regret and started looking around for clues.

As a detective, she naturally and unconsciously tried connecting dots and felt that this case and the previous case were quite familiar to each other. Though, the styles were different, both times the tapes were destroyed and both targets were high-powered people.

In the past years as well, some high profile people have been killed. However, it hasn't ever happened this close to each other. The killings only had a few day separation, making her have to work twice as hard now.

'What a damn joke. Seriously, can't they take a longer break or something?'

(Ren POV)

The entire day was boring. Everything was incredibly boring. I had nothing to do and I was really resenting it. Looking at the sleeping Chika on my lap, I started stroking her head like she was cat.

I started getting anxious for no reason. It was possibly since I was bored out of my mind, but I didn't know actually what to do. So, I decided to visit Big boss.

I have got to say that Big boss might have grown on me. The rush I felt when running up those stairs, the absolute adrenaline I felt that time. It felt... good. It felt almost natural, even. Something so foreign, but familiar at the same time.

I wasn't looking for another job, but I just wanted something to do right now. Maybe even working at Big boss' bar as a legitimate janitor or waiter would be good enough.

It just doesn't feel comfortable sitting around the entire day.

So I placed a pillow underneath her head and escaped. Keiko was there, but she seemed to be busy talking to another woman while on the phone. Obviously, I would avoid her if I had the chance since she is crossing the boundaries sometimes.

With my new found money, I need not to save as much. Even when it isn't as needed, I took the bus to the school and just walked to the bar. Sadly, it was closed.

"Huh..." (Ren)

"Oh? What are you doing here?" (???)

A mysterious woman greeted me. She came up behind me without a noise and had a soft voice that flowed with her surroundings. She was calm and collected like the wind.

She was wearing a beautiful red dress and a giant white sun hat. Her accessories included sunglasses and earrings.

Though I was enamored by her beauty, it couldn't hide the fears deep down. She could be a spy searching this illegal bar. She could be a police officer with a lead. She could be a rival of Big boss.

My eyes darted around and eventually rested on her lips as I spoke an excuse that came off the top of my head. I was a bit confident that this should be enough.

"Sorry, I was planning on entering the restaurant above, but it seems that this isn't the entrance" (Ren)

It was a very plausible excuse since there was indeed a restaurant above and indeed, this seemed like a possible entrance to an elevator shaft.

But if she had any suspicions with my delivery, I'd be in trouble. Big trouble. Getting caught isn't the problem. The problem is who caught me. Who this woman could be is the problematic part.

"Is that so~?" (???)

Her piercing blue eyes came into view as she stared into my soul. It was not my first time seeing such deep blue eyes, but it is the first seeing them on an Asian looking woman. It was shockingly fitting for her though.

Those eyes scanned my body up and down, like a machine examining a specimen. This continued for another minute until her silky smooth voice was heard.

"I understand. Go on now, don't be too much trouble~" (???)

At that moment, I was about to breath out a heavy sigh of relief right in front of her from habit. I realized this and held it back, but just barely. With a forced smile, I briskly walked away as she watched me.

She turned her head when I went further and further, adjusting her neck to crane like an owl. All the way until the entrance of the basement floor. That's how far she tracked me with her eyes.

"Perfect killer..." (???)

As I was walking away, I thought heard an incoherent mumble coming from her as it echoed. I didn't mind it though since I had better things to do right now. Like getting away from her. Right then, I remembered something.

I was really stupid. While walking away, I realized that I never asked why she was there with me. If she knew that this wasn't an elevator shaft, then why was she here? Any normal person would have asked that question.

I was too scared to even think. The sweat pouring down my back was distracting me. The pure fear of being labeled a criminal, scared me. I thought I would really be caught, but I unintentionally made myself even more suspicious. I should have been more normal then...

Though freaked out, I drowned it out with some food from the restaurant above. I took some take out from the place and Chika and I had it for dinner. All in all, I hope it was a good day.

Though, I'm not sure whether it really was a good day.

 

———

a.n | Yoo-hoo! Another chapter! Thanks for reading up until this point and if you enjoyed, please consider rating, reviewing and commenting! It all helps me so much, peace! Also, do check out my Webnovel, where this novel receives daily updates!

10