Chapter 120: Gold
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The stubby young man released a terrible cry. His features scrunched in agony while he struggled in vain to break free from the knight's tight grip.

Elaine gave Roiland an appreciative glance before returning to the trembling man sitting opposite her. "Did you know Agnes Rossi is dead?" After she raised the question, her table companion immediately ceased his struggle, frozen in place.

A brief, suffocating silence descended between them.

Paraveas' eyes expanded to such an extent that they could have jumped out of their sockets while his body shook uncontrollably. All colors drained from his fleshy cheeks as his lips quivered, barely able to assemble coherent words. "M, my sister…is dead?"

"Yes, she died a while ago. Were you unaware?" Elaine 'gasped,' pressing a hand on her lips. "They found her below the stairs with a broken neck. It was a dreadful scene," she lamented. "Most claim she tripped, yet others believe somebody pushed her. What do you suppose happened?" Her eyes observed the man's ashen face, waiting for his response.

"I, I don't know." He provided a timid answer.

"Is that so?" Elaine leaned forward, chin resting on one palm. "Then let's move on to another topic. Mister Paraveas, pray tell, who paid for your gambling debts three months ago? It seems the amount paid surpassed the original debts since it allowed you to continue your habits here," she chuckled.

Paraveas flinched, eyes again wandering the room.

A dagger struck the table, landing between Agnes' brother's hands. He yelped and leaped from the chair but was again forced into place by Roiland. "We don't have time for your stalling," the young knight warned. "Would you rather answer the question or lose your life?"

"Please, please spare me," Paraveas pleaded, hands covering his plump head. "I, I will tell you everything."

"You shouldn't scare our distinguished guest too much, brother," Elaine 'scolded' Roiland.

"Haha, you're right. Perhaps I acted too rashly." The burly young knight scratched his stubble, laughing earnestly. "I hope you will forgive my earlier rudeness." He patted Agnes' brother on the back as though jesting between old friends.

The stubby young man did not accept Roiland's apology, nor did he dare an outburst. His head stayed lower, and his eyes glued to the table's surface like they were engrossed in a fascinating play.

"Who paid for your debt, Mister Paraveas?" Elaine repeated her inquiry.

"My sister wrote a letter urging me to leave my hometown and lie low. So I took my daughter and left."

Elaine raised a brow. Instead of answering her question, Agnes' brother dove into another topic. However, she retained her patience visage, waiting for him to elaborate.

"Three months ago, I was burdened with heavy gambling debts. My daughter and I spent our days hiding, afraid of the collectors. If they found us, they would kill me and sell her to the brothel," he continued. His voice sounded distant as if he were recounting someone else's story instead of his own. "Then, one day, all my debts were suddenly relieved. The collectors stopped searching for us, and we returned to our normal lives. Afterward, the benefactor came to my house, delivering a letter from my sister and a bag of gold."

"Who is your benefactor?"

"She never revealed her identity, but I recognized her…" he trailed off.

"Where did you recognize her from?" Elaine pressed.

Paraveas lifted his head, eyes perplexed. "When she handed me the gold and letter, I noticed the emblems on her cuffs. They were from the House of Valois."

"Why would someone from the House of Valois help you?" Elaine quizzed.

"I, I don't know," he admitted. "The nobles rarely interact with commoners like me." Agnes' brother wrinkled his brows, attempting to recall an obscure memory. "My sister once told me the House of Valois' daughter was a close friend of her mistress."

She studied the stubby young man briefly, then pivoted her question. "What else did Agnes mention in her letter?"

"She warned me to stay silent about the exchange and not to trust anyone."

"It seems like you did not listen to her," Elaine chuckled, glancing at Roiland.

Crimson colored Paraveas' cheeks as he dropped his head in shame.

"Thank you. I have heard enough." Elaine clasped her hands together and rose from the seat, turning to the door. "I suggest you follow me, mister. I will need to borrow you for a few days." Her tone was gentle, yet everyone understood the statement was not a request but an order.

"Plea, please wait. What will you do to me?" Paraveas' face turned pale, his teeth clattering. "I, I already told, told you everything I know. Please, please spare me. I have to return to my daughter at home," he begged.

Elaine slightly shifted her body, staring back at him. "And yet you still have time to come here to gamble." Her words quieted the stubby young man, whose expression alternated between guilt and despair. "Don't worry. Your daughter will receive adequate care while you are away," Elaine added, sauntering toward the door.

Roiland relieved the pressure on Paraveas' shoulders, pulling him upward from his chair. "No need to look so dejected." He again patted Agnes' brother on his back. "No harm shall come to you and your family if you follow my sister's instructions," he said.

After the young knight's encouragement, the stubby young man yielded, no longer having the will to resist. His despondent body trailed after Elaine's group, heading outside the Ynones Tavern. They followed the original path back to Croix's private road. She directed Paraveas to ride with Roiland before entering her carriage and returning to the estate.

 

 

 

 

Secrets are unravelling 😃

2