Chapter 110: Astria
29 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days later, a summoned magician arrived at Estella's manor. After a brief discussion, the man gave Elaine three packets of coral-colored powders and instructions on their usage. She kept one while sending the other two to Cecil, and the knight picked to become her escort.

After the magician left, Elaine returned to her bedchamber and dismissed all the servants. Standing in front of the mirror, she poured the powder dust into her palm and sprinkled it on her face and hair. Elaine closed her eyes, imagining the characteristics she desired to change. Moments later, her eyes reopened, staring at a strange yet intimate reflection. The young girl facing her had a headstrong yet delicate countenance—from her sapphire eyes and heart-shaped lips to the ebony-colored hair cascading to her shoulders. They all contributed to her frosty and bewitching visage. Elaine's hand reached to touch the beauty mark under her left eye. She realized the manifestation was only an illusion, yet she could not repress the emotion swelling within. The girl inside the mirror was Elaine's original appearance from her teenage years—a mirage of her past self. She again shut her eyes and transformed back into Estella.

Elaine decided. Even if the change was only temporary, she wanted to be herself.

On the festival's day morning, Elaine sat inside a camouflaged carriage journeying from the Croix estate on a private path to Geris' central city, Astria. Midway through the trip, she poured the powder on herself and changed her clothes, shifting into her other appearance. She then opened the window and glanced outside. Cecil rode his steed beside the carriage, wearing ordinary clothes instead of the Croix's guard uniform. He, too, already disguised himself. His features stayed the same, though the captivating heterochromia and sunlight hair were all converted into a dull brownish shade.

"Please hang tight, milady. We are nearly there." A familiar voice sounded behind them.

Elaine looked back and saw Roiland galloping his stallion toward her. He wore commoner clothing similar to Cecil's and only changed his eyes and hair colors. After the joint expedition, the Duke recognized Cecil's, Roiland's, and the surviving knights in training's bravery, promoting them to knighthood. Those who could no longer serve received significant compensation. The Croix then released them from their duties to start anew in other territories. Despite the men becoming ordinary citizens, their allegiance remained. All the discharged or retired knights formed an information network and shifted into the Duke's eyes and ears. Perfected by the Croix's ancestors hundreds of years ago, the brainwashing regiments applied to the men since childhood ingrained in them the absolute loyalty that continued till their death.

It was not empty flattery when Elaine commended the Croix's knights' elite reputation to Gerard. Their firm belief ushered them forward, while others retreated, even in the bloodiest battles. Equipped with unparalleled discipline and strength, even imperial knights would yield in their presence. Despite the previous and current Étoile sovereigns treating the Geris Dukedom with high favor and regard, they always carefully balanced and contained the House of Croix's power and influence through the House of d'Amboise by pitting the two great noble Houses against each other. Using such a stealthy tactic, the royal family safeguarded their claim to the throne and continued reaping benefits from both sides. In Étoile's political game, the Castellane's participation leaned more toward the game master than the player.

"How long till we reach Astria?" Elaine inquired.

"About ten minutes, milady," Roiland replied.

"Stop the carriage," she suddenly commanded. "We will walk from here."

The coachman pulled back the reins and halted his horses. Elaine stepped out of the carriage while Roiland and Cecil dropped from their steeds. Looking at their confused expressions, she explained, "We're commoners now. I don't want to raise unnecessary suspicion. Since it is only ten minutes, leave your rides here. We can walk there ourselves."

"As you wish, milady." Cecil bowed, handing over his reins to the coachman.

"Call me Elaine," she corrected him. "During the festival, we shall be the Lehner siblings. Sir Ascania is the middle brother, Allaster." Elaine pointed at Cecil and then moved to Roiland. "And you are our eldest brother, Theon."

"Of course, Lady—"Roiland began but immediately realized his mistake as Elaine's narrowed gaze pierced him. "I mean, Elaine."

"Fix your speech before we reach the city, brother," she said, then continued down the private path.

The burly young man's hand rubbed the back of his head and laughed sheepishly.

"Let's follow our sister." Cecil walked ahead, leaving his fellow escort to stand by himself.

"W-wait for me," Roiland called and trotted after them.

A few minutes later, their group merged with the others on the standard path, entering Astria. Elaine surveyed the crowds surrounding her, intrigued by the masks and headdresses some eager attendees wore. Though the original Estella had little interest in the peasants' holiday, she knew about its history. The Primavière Festival was a coming-of-spring celebration, thanking the Gods for their patronage. It originated from the Grey Wolf clan and spread to other conquered regions many centuries ago. Gradually, the festival's pantheon absorbed the deities from other influenced areas, and it became one of the most well-known holidays throughout the Étoile Empire. However, despite its widespread popularity, Geris remained the celebration's primary location, attracting hundreds of thousands of yearly visitors.

Elaine studied the headwear. Many were intricate and extravagant, with feathers and gems embedded in their designs. Others were plain and functional, though they still contained rich pictures and colors. Despite the varieties of the types and subjects, she noticed a shared commonality—the depiction of animals. The realization resurfaced a distant memory in Elaine as she pulled a tiny wooden doll from her dress pocket.

 

 

 

Anyone still remember the doll?

3