Chapter 112: Argument
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fortunately, Elaine did not have to walk long before finding the target. When she arrived, hordes of onlookers had already flocked to watch the commotion in an alley near the city's East District, blocking her view. Elaine glanced at her 'eldest brother'. Without further instructions, the burly young man nodded and pushed through the crowd, heeled by his 'younger siblings.' Roiland's effort soon paid off, providing his companions with front-row seats to the spectacle. 

Two groups engaging in a tense stand-off were at the center of everyone's attention. A woman knelt helplessly on the ground wearing a tattered dress with scratches and wounds covering her entire body. Branded on her right shoulder was a universally recognized mark within the Empire, signifying her enslaved status. In Étoile's long history of conquests, it was not uncommon to enslave a defeated territory to prevent mutiny from its citizens. It was a method to subdue the enemies by breaking their spirits. Unless they swore allegiance and signed a blood contract binding themselves and their descendants never to revolt against the royal family, the Empire would subject them to an endless agonizing existence. 

Protecting the woman was a young blonde-haired female draped in a commoner dress, yet those with keen eyes could discern the clothing's high-quality fabric. Despite half her features hidden behind an intricate white-laced mask, her bright emerald eyes still shone through, staring up defiantly at a much larger young man in his twenties standing opposite her. Beside the girl were three more masked individuals—a male and female with coral-colored hair and a blonde-haired male. The coral-haired female held her friend's hand, providing her with moral support, while the two males had hands on their swords' hilts, ready to draw and defend their companions.

"She is my slave. I can do as I please with her," said the larger man through clenched teeth, piercing down at the girl. His eyes flashed a threatening glint. "How dare you question the way I treat my property?" The man's subordinates stepped forward, ready to engage. 

"No matter her station. She is a human being, not an object to satisfy your sadistic pleasure." Despite his intimidating presence looming over her, the blonde-haired young girl stood her ground. "In the name of the Temple, I cannot continue to stand by and tolerate your barbaric actions," she declared. A silver bracelet bearing two intertwining white birds appeared on her right wrist—signifying her connection to the Temple. 

The surrounding onlookers erupted with gasps and whispers. Everyone speculated the man had an advantage in the dispute. However, the young girl's revelation of her affiliation completely flipped their assessments of the situation upside down. Similar to the Magic Association, the Temple was an influential organization outside the control of kingdoms or empires. Even powerful monarchs like the Étoile Emperor and the Léonas Emperor must at least respect the Temple's fundamental principles and authority to maintain its cooperation. Thus, those bearing the Temple's symbol had certain unspoken privileges compared to ordinary citizens and even some aristocrats. 

The man glowered at her, eyes obscured by darkness. However, his lips soon flipped to a genial smile as he held up his hand, stopping his men from further advance. "I hope you can forgive my disrespectful behavior earlier. I was unaware of your position." He inclined his body, switching to a more diplomatic disposition. 

"If your repentance desire is genuine, prove it by releasing this woman," the young girl declared.

Rage again flashed through his countenance but then immediately disappeared. "Certainly, I can release this slave to you," the man offered after a moment—sincerity oozing from his visage.

"I am glad we came to an understanding." The girl's lips curled into a triumphant smile. Her emerald eyes and golden hair glistened under the sunlight like a Goddess descending from heaven, blinding all the mortals close to her. She then turned to the tattered woman and raised her from the ground. "You are safe now," she assured her. "Do you have anywhere to return to?"

"N, no. I, I no longer have a home." The woman's shoulders trembled as tears streamed down her cheeks. "I, I don't ha, have anything to repay your kindness, miss," she sobbed, lifting her head. Despite her dirtied and unruly appearance, many could still distinguish the attractive features hidden underneath. Combined with a tall yet curvy body, it was no wonder the man wanted to make her his mistress—though she refused, leading to the current situation. "Please allow me to be your servant." The woman dropped to her knees.

"You can follow me as my maid." The young girl held the woman's hand, raising her like a saint granting salvation to the destitute. "I will request my father to release you from slavery," she declared. 

In Étoile, only high-level aristocrats could grant freedom to an enslaved person. The girl's statement had others further speculating about her identity.

"Thank you, miss." Tears of joy poured from the woman's face as she squeezed the young girl's hand and swore her loyalty. "I will dedicate my life to serving you."

The heartwarming scene melted people's hearts. Many onlookers dispersed with satisfactory smiles—it was a happy ending preferred by everyone.

The two groups bid farewell to each other, and the commotion dissolved peacefully.

How naïve. Elaine followed the others to leave, yet her gaze stayed on the man, scrutinizing his expression. Behind his calm, cordial facade was a rumbling volcano threatening to erupt. Unfortunately, Celeste's spontaneous 'good deed' would soon result in unintended consequences for many. No matter her intention, she had offended and humiliated a dangerous man by saving the slave woman. Elaine recognized him from the intelligence Gerard forced the original Estella to memorize. He was the eldest son of Viscount Marius, the victor in the killing tournament the Duke hosted during Estella's coming-of-age celebration. Even now, the twisted method Marius used to kill the prisoners brought Elaine goosebumps whenever she recalled. However, the Viscount's eldest son was infamous in his own right. 

 

 

 

 

Everything seems resolved lol

2