CHAPTER 46: A STRONG QUEEN
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been three days since Alric had started his duties as a vassal within the Braveheart family but they were still tight lipped about the Blackdeath. 

Despite his time spent under their roof, the truth about the enigmatic Blackdeath remained veiled in secrecy, much to his growing frustration.

Alric finally reached his breaking point and decided to ask Phannor and Lloyd since they were now together in the Library reading. 

 

“Have you guys ever heard about the Blackdeath?”

 

Alric asked during a lull in the casual conversation. 

 

Lloyd scratched his head trying to recall if that word rang a bell. 

 

Phannor thoughtfully stroked his chin, his eyes distant as he recalled fragments of tales and rumors.

"I vaguely remember something," 

Phannor mused. 

"There was a sickness called the Blackdeath that swept through outer villages some years back. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure."

The information seemed incongruent with Alric's nagging suspicions. The words felt mismatched, leaving him dissatisfied. "No, that's not it," he interjected, his frustration punctuating his words. "I'm talking about a person known as the Blackdeath."

 

“That’s not it you dumbass! He is probably referring to the terrorist known as the Blackdeath.”

 

A sudden interruption startled them. A young boy with striking blue eyes had overheard their conversation, his presence enigmatic. 

"Marcel Raizer?" 

Lloyd's surprised exclamation echoed their collective curiosity.

Marcel affirmed his identity with a nod, closing the book he'd been engrossed in. 

"If my assumptions hold true, being enserfed within the Braveheart family now places you within the looming shadow of their impending demise."

Marcel spoke with the air of a half noble. His strain for the use of complex words gave him the feel of a man who was forced to act in a position he didn’t belong. 

 

Marcel nodded in confirmation and closed the book he was reading before continuing. 

 

Confusion clouded Phannor and Lloyd's expressions as they exchanged glances. 

 

"Their demise?"

 

Marcel maintained his nonchalant demeanor, addressing their ignorance with calm detachment. 

"A destruction that eludes common knowledge. A catastrophe orchestrated by the Blackdeath herself."

 

"Explain," 

Lloyd urged, his curiosity piqued by Marcel's ominous words.

Marcel's lips curved into a knowing smile. 

"You, as commoners, wouldn't have been privy to the reality. Yet, the Braveheart family has already been marked for annihilation. Countless households lie in her wake, reduced to blackened remnants."

 

Lloyd and Phannor both looked at Alric and then back ar Marcel. Marcel's eyes held unwavering confidence. 

 

"Indeed. The remnants left behind resemble charred corpses, victims of a disease that consumes from the outside in."

 

Alric's companions exchanged uneasy glances, the gravity of Marcel's words weighing heavily on them. Phannor gathered his thoughts, breaking the silence. 

 

"The Blackdeath is known for its consuming nature. It devours the flesh, leaving nothing but blackened remains."

 

“Yup, that’s exactly how she left all of them.”

 

Lloyd looked at Alric and shook him by the collar, 

 

“You have to get out of there before something like that happens!”

 

“He can’t. A royal decree has already been given out. Him and every member of the household has to be there at the appointed time. 

 

I heard they nobles want to use them as bait for the Blackdeath.”

 

Marcel casually interjected as he started packing up his things to leave. 

 

“Can’t they just kill her? before she makes it there?”

 

“They tried all of that a few times already. Nothing seems to work. I heard one family tried locking down, but that didn’t work.

 

Another tried putting up anti teleportation arrays… they died too. 

 

The last one even tried to hire some skilled mercenaries… They lasted a few hours longer but died all the same.

She is truly An enigma unyielding to conventional tactics”

 

Marcel threw his backpack over his shoulder readying to leave.

 

“My advice: sever your ties and flee while you still can.”

 

With those parting words, Marcel exited, leaving behind a weighty silence. 

Lloyd and Phannor stared at Alric, concern etching their features. 

 

"Alric, are you not alarmed?" Lloyd's voice held a tremor.

 

Alric met their gazes, caught in contemplation. 

"A bit, perhaps. But I have my own methods of survival," he responded, attempting to quell their worries.”

 

Phannor and Lloyd gave him a doubtful expression. 

They had a right to be doubtful. Afterall, an entire host of much stronger mages and paladins had tried to stop her before and failed. Moreso, even more must have tried to escape and still failed. 

"Are you certain?" 

Phannor's uncertainty echoed in his voice, his concern unspoken.

Alric's smile concealed a world of resolve.

 "Indeed. I'll find my own way."

Phannor and Lloyd remained skeptical, their reservations evident. But Alric had an unspoken confidence, a determination that surpassed the specter of impending doom.

 

If you want… we could come with you.”

 

They both offered with a reserved tone proving they weren’t sure they would follow through with the offer. 

 

Alric smiled internally at the offer but immediately rejected them. Afterall this was most likely going to be a life and death scenario and he didn’t want the presence of his classmates to be what held him back. 

 

“It’s alright guys. I have things under control.”

 

Alric smiled as he gave them a fake expression before leaving. 

As they watched him depart, Alric couldn't suppress his inner smile. He'd accepted the challenge that lay ahead.

1