CHAPTER 59: THE EFFECTS OF SCIENCE
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Khan in confusion stood up slowly but instantly stumbled over unsure of what was happening to his body. 

 

It took him a few seconds to adjust but eventually he understood what had happened. One half of  his body was significantly heavier than the other. But the moment Khan adjusted to the difference in weight the shift occurred again and Khan tumbled over.  

 

Frustration gnawed at him as he teetered like a newborn trying to take its first steps. Eventually, he gave up, deciding to remain prone on the ground.Using his mind he attacked Alric with a bolt of red lightning. 

 

Alric, who was deep in concentration, saw the attack but had no time to react. Alric clenched his teeth preparing to take the full brunt of the attack fully expecting the sting of death. 

 

However, like a guardian summoned from the abyss of despair, one of Trisha's obsidian orbs manifested, interposing itself between Alric and the impending destruction. The orb absorbed the full brunt of Khan's attack, dispersing the deadly lightning in all directions.

Trisha, despite her ravaged condition, managed to drag her battered body toward Alric's side. A cluster of her remaining orbs floated protectively around her, like loyal sentinels guarding their wounded queen.

 

She whispered weakly to Alric, her voice but a frail breath, "Alric, this battle is still mine."

 

Seeing this Khan felt as though things were not unfolding in his favor. His movements were hampered and his attacks were futile. If things continue as they are now he would lose much more than just another arm. 

 

His mana reserves were already almost depleted and due to the wounds he had suffered so far he was losing too much blood. All in all, as disgraceful as it was, this wasn’t a fight he could win now, especially with that boy and his strange magic. 

Seeing the black orbs attacking him, Khan Gritting his teeth in frustration, Khan channeled the remnants of his magic to create a smokescreen of electric fog. The thick, crackling mist engulfed the area, obscuring the battlefield and providing him with a momentary diversion.

Alric realizing that he was trying to escape sent the crystals rushing into the thick cloud of electric fog trying to kill Khan.  

 

“Argh!”

 

A sharp scream echoed out of the fog followed by a bolt of lighting. As soon as the lighting disappeared into the sky the fog dissipated and Khan was nowhere to be seen. 

 

Seeing this Alric’s eyes widened, feeling like every carefully laid plan, every hope of keeping his involvement hidden, now hung in the balance. Khan's escape threatened to expose Alric's treacherous act, one that could cost him his life, his future, and everything he held dear.

 

A pit formed in Alric's stomach, a churning vortex of fear and regret. The judiciaries, the enforcers of the kingdom's laws, would show no mercy to a traitor. His dreams of revenge, his life at the academy, all of it could be reduced to ashes in an instant.

 

Left with no choice, once again he turned to Trisha,

 

"Trisha! We have to catch him," Alric implored, his voice quivering with anxiety, his eyes searching for answers in her gaze.

Trisha met his gaze with a calm and knowing smile. Her eyes held a profound wisdom, a reassurance that transcended words. She understood the storm of emotions raging within him, and in her own way, she sought to quell his fears.

“I know what you are worried about, but you still have time.” Trisha looked in the distance sensing the direction Khan was fleeing in. She would have loved to finish him but her body and mana reserves were in the danger zones. regardless, she had sent a tenth circle mage fleeing and even managed to breakthrough, all in all it was to her advantage. 

 

Trisha's smile faded as she fell to one knee, pulling Alric closer to her. Her once-vibrant energy now waned, her strength drained from the battle. She bore the scars of their fight, both visible and hidden, with grace and resilience.

 

“You don’t have to worry. My domain will cloud his memory.” Trisha assured him, her words carrying an air of relief to him. 

 

"How else do you think I've gone unknown for so long?" She boasted, her words a testament to her selflessness. Inwardly, she found solace in knowing that Alric had begun forging his own path, forming bonds and friendships that filled his life with happiness. She was happy he wasn’t a bitter shell of revenge like she was. 

 

Alric's heart was filled with a fragile sense of relief, a momentary respite from the storm of his emotions. Yet, Trisha's next words pierced through his newfound calm, a reminder of the looming threat that still hung over them.

“But I have to admit, the effects on a tenth circle mage aren’t much. You have about a year, maybe two if youre lucky before his body naturally lifts the fog.”

Trisha confessed, her gaze unwavering as she met his eyes. The unease on Alric's face mirrored the weight of her revelation.

 

"That's far from now, little brother. I can protect you," she assured him, her voice tender and full of sisterly love. But as she spoke, her body began to transform, turning into a shadowy mist that dissipated into the night.

 

Alric was shocked by sudden happenings as he felt the weight of her body that was leaning on him disappearing. 

 

“It seems my time is up.” Trisha spoke as the full moon in the night sky faded and the domain around them filled with cracks. 

 

“I will see you when I can.” her last words felt more like a promise than a farewell. Trisha disappeared into the ethereal realm of shadows leaving Alric alone. 

 

But with the collapsing of the barrier all of the outside forces who were waiting to see the end result could now pry in the aftermath of the battle. 

 

Last thing they saw was Khan entering the domain but now that the domain had been destroyed they stood dumbfounded by the scene. 

 

The entire residence of count Braveheart was reduced to rubble; the surrounding trees had been reduced to bare limbs. Giant craters scattered about and the stench of death and blood stained the air. 

 

Each of the surrounding troops hesitated, all understanding the deathly nature of the blackdeath. 

 

“Someone over here is alive!” 

 

A group of soldiers moved a piece of rubble and someone could be seen barely breathing with labored breaths,  

 

“Lord Vivian!”

0