Chapter 54: Sometimes, good things do happen
367 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Gods and Goddess of Healing come in all shapes and sizes, often working together to make the world a better place"

A primer on the healing arts, 15th Edition.

 

The Arch-Duke, his wife, and daughter arrived at the Academy early in the morning, from up high in their flying mounts, the Greater Griffins flew in formation, silent wings beating against the northern wind.

"Are those...Gods look at those war machines! Magi-Tech made all of them" Viviene spoke up high "Father that's enough people to..."

"Storm the palace, a proper war camp in the Wulfgrem style, but I see no catapults or trebuchets" the Arch-Duke looked around only for his wife to point her finger to a raised stone platform.

"Artillery, Magi-Tech as well, nearly 10 kilometers worth of range on those big ones, the smaller ones have a limited range," The Arch-Duchess said in a soft voice, "My sources tell me she has most of the low nobility progeny and their Knights already, a few high nobles are also working with her in building the army"

"Including the Arch-Mage son and the Royal Knight Commander son, not to say the third prince..." Jin sighed "look at it, early in the morning and they are running drills already, never would I've imagined she would be able to put some order in these younglings"

Viviene looked in awe at the sheer scale of the camp, she felt a tinge of fear as well, meeting her savior was on her mind for weeks now, ever since she told her parents she felt ready to go back to the Academy and noble social circles she was worried sick about facing Lucrezia.

In her mind, the image of her and that boy fighting remained a strong constant, her precise and fluid motion clashing with his wild and sheer relentless approach to combat, fighting the evils that were placed in her soul and memory...

Strong winds came from up high, white scales gleaming in the morning sun as a massive dragon descended upon the trio, the griffons made a series of noises, talking among themselves.

"Lady Kallista! It is an honor!" the Arch-Duke spoke with gusto in his voice, the dragoness turned and smiled, her sharp teeth were quite a sight for Viviene but she felt a connection to the dragoness, ahh she thought to herself, it was the relic Lucrezia used. Tied her and the Dragoness together somewhat.

"Not just me young human, her as well" A deep voice boomed inside Viviene's head as the dragon dived towards the camp, she caught the beast transforming into a humanoid figure as she landed.

"She spoke with you?" Jin asked "Mind not her forwardness daughter, Lady Kallista is a close ally of Lucrezia and helped her in her fight against the first prince forces, I am sure she will also stand with you"

"Are you implying I will join this fight father?" Viviene asked.

"Yes, I can see it in your face" He fired back with a smile "It will do you some good as well, to fight is to honor our traditions, to weed out those who would abuse their power and deny their fellows their rights, and this" he pointed to the castle that was in the Fields "Is a worthy cause indeed, even if we are bordering on treason against the crown haha"

They rode until finding a roof to land, the dean welcomed them personally and walked them through the procedure to enroll Viviene back into the Academy, they got her a nice room at the top of the dorms, and after a few hours were done for the day.

Viviene stare from her new windows as her parents flew away, her griffin was nested on the roof of the dorm and she slept soundly as night had already fallen, in the distance she saw the fires of Lucrezia's war camp burning, drums beating, and drills being shout to recruits. She felt her Greater Blessing pulse faster at the sight, Viviene had wanted to repay Lucrezia somehow, she didn't need money or power, she was a duchess after all.

What Viviene could offer then? her body? the thought made her tremble, she could fight then, fight the good fight as the daughter of the most powerful Arch-Duke in the last 300 years, holder of a Greater Blessing of Healing and master of blade and spell both, plus an awesome griffin!

She sucked up air and dressed up, the northern winds had already made the temperature drop as she walked the stairs down to the main road leading to the war camp, some joining her in the walk talking about their day in the Academy.

A checkpoint with the sign that said "NEW RECRUITS HERE" in bold red letters told her where to go, a young man manned it with tired eyes, in his hands was a brand new copy of the book Lucrezia wrote and was currently well-liked among the populace according to her parents.

The man looked up "Ah come to join? A bit late eh but the night shift is best for quick processing, makes dealing with the paperwork faster" he got up and offered his hand "Richard Silverbrand, Field Commander and everything else of this enterprise" Viviene shook his hand and said, "Why is the field commander processing recruits this late?"

Richard smiled "Ah, can't help it, Blessing you see? plus it calms my nerves, dealing with high nobles is tiresome" he gasped "Uhh sorry slip of the tongue haha..." the man was red in the cheeks now.

Viviene laughed, she found him charming in a way "Well then, where do I sign Mister Silverbrand?" Richard got it together as he began handing her paperwork and a pen "these 2 forms please, you are free to omit your blessing as well, its just there for formality"

Her paperwork done, Viviene handed it to Richard who had put the book down and glanced at the form, his eyebrows rising when he read the name. "Forgive me for acting so informal My Lady" he got up and bowed.

"No need to be so stiff Field Commander, we are equals on these hallowed grounds," she noticed him relaxing fast "It seems you are used to being casual with high nobility, experience?"

"Well Lady Viviene, I am leading an army for Duchess Lucrezia, and on friendly terms with the third prince, at some point I just couldn't keep up the whole court manners bit, too slow, too stiff" Richard explained "I am glad you aren't one of those if you don't mind me being honest"

"I don't, I am also glad you can adapt fast, now then if you would..." Viviene couldn't say it, but he got the message anyway, she could see the man was smart.

"Right this way then," Richard said and pulled the sign saying "CLOSED FOR THE DAY" both of them moved deeper into the camp, towards the most important person in these fields.


It was late but many were still training, Viviene was struck by the tall suits of armor, nearly the size of a combat golem the dwarves were so fond of being repaired by Academy students.

"Zenos units, those with the red paint in their chest section are our brand new squadron being led by Miss Andromeda, she's quiet but quite the fighter when she's inside her unit" Richard explained as they walked past it "Crimson Squadron according to her, we will see if the name sticks"

"How many have joined so far?" Viviene asked out loud.

"Nearly 750 now, mostly low nobility and commoners looking for glory, winning back the Fields will give them a major rep among the others" Richard explained "I will admit it's getting a tad too large now, I am afraid we will be hanged for attempting a coup..." he smiled at his bad joke.

Both walked into the biggest tent but couldn't find the woman in charge, Richard talked with a trio who were doing paperwork, from the looks of it Vivivene assumed they were his aides.

An elven woman walked in, her face hidden behind a stone mask and her entire body covered in clothing common to the desert regions of the world, she walked with purpose and stopped right beside Richard.

"Force Commander, it is time for your training" Viviene knew that accent, Grannarius!

The elf turned her mask to Viviene, her head tilting to the left "A recruit? why is she here?"

"That would be Miss Autumnflower, and I suggest you behave yourself around her," Richard said "I don't want Lucrezia on my ear, especially after the little question you asked her the other day" Richard snapped his fingers and a suit of armor blue and gray manifested itself, in his back, there was a spear, shield, and staff.

"Duly note Commander" Viviene saw the smirk on her lips, the elven woman was enjoying herself.

"Viviene, it seems Lucrezia has retired herself earlier than usual, I am sure you will be able to meet her tomorrow in class..." Richard scratched his chin "If you wish you could join us?"

There was something about that elven woman that was making Viviene's hairs rise, the way she walked and talked, how comfortable she was with that mask and Clothes. Not wanting to dally she nodded and the 3 of them went towards a nearby empty training field.

Viviene sat down on the ground as the two began to warm up, after a few seconds they exploded into action, magical and martial arts being weaved effortlessly, Viviene noticed how Richard had a downright uncanny sense of spatial awareness, he always knew where the next blow would land, but his actual movements were full of imperfections, a diamond in the rough as her father would say whenever a new squire showed talent.

Shield bashes, keeping the offensive at a distance, and using the magical staff that had preset magicks in it made him a fearsome warrior, she smiled at the memories of training together with her Knights, those were some good fights she had back in the day...

A flash of green tore into Richard's leg as he whelped in pain, the wound had blown away his armor and he was bleeding heavily from it, Viviene didn't skip a beat, immediately flaring her Greater Blessing sigil that laid upon her back and chest with the golden aura of her patron Goddess.

In a second she was beside Richard, her hand in his leg as the wound closed and the horrible scar revealed itself, twisting into the flesh like a snake!

"Windreaver" She whispered as the masked elf bared her teeth like a predator, Gods above Lucrezia was working with the godsdamned Grannarius Royals?! how in all hell did she get Veronica Windreaver to train her army!?!

Enough questions! the voice of her father roared in her mind, The enemy is right in front of you and it must be defeated! Viviene shook herself and got up.

"Blessed be her warriors, for we are the bulwark" Viviene chanted and a set of golden yellow swords and shields came from thin air, she grabbed a pair and immediately went on the offensive, Richard himself took a few seconds but together they managed to drive the elf back.

While not that strong of a fighter, Viviene kept just enough attention from the enemy that Richard was allowed to fully hammer her in, and for every pound of flesh she took from the young man, Viviene was there to top him off, slamming his staff in the ground he summoned forth a set of stone walls and they had the elven woman cornered, a flurry of blows ensured as her smile grew into a maniac grin.

With a snap the elven woman somehow made Viviene's weapons go away, and then slapped Richard's spear, shield, and staff like they were made out of wood, but they didn't stop the offensive, Richard rained a series of blows, kicks, knees, and elbows like he was a godsdamned monk, Viviene not wanting to be outdone now also began throwing wild haymakers and jabs, a kick or two for good measure as well.

She then saw a golden opportunity, Richard managed to palm strike the elf and that knocked the air out of her, Viviene who had been pushed a few meters back ran like the wind and jumped, throwing the nastiest punch she had ever thrown in her life.

The mask broke as the pain made the young woman cry out, a pair of crazed eyes locked into her as the face of one of the most dangerous enemy combatants of the last war burned into Viviene's eyes.

Richard sighed and jumped back, with a snap of his fingers he produced another stone mask and lobbed it towards Veronica whose eyes were still locked into Viviene, she grabbed the mask mid-air and placed it on her face again, the wild grin turning into a sly smile.

"Not as strong as your parents, but then again, healer blessings" Veronica shrugged "She's good Richard, real good"

"Yeah, nearly knocked your dumb ass out, and what was that last attack anyway, you ruined my leg section again! now I have two nasty scars..." he whined "Anyway, thank you for the healing Viviene, it took a good 3 days to heal the last one"

They gave their farewells as Viviene made the walk back to her quarters alone, many questions burning in her mind, chief among them the presence of Grannarius's military personnel on Academy grounds.

Tomorrow will be one hell of a day she thought to herself.


The same dream again Viviene thought to herself as she stood watching the duo fight their mad struggle against the darkness, the boy a maelstrom of Ice magic and Steel his eyes wide with fury and rage, he fought with such tenacity Viviene was scared to think what would happen when he no longer required fighting, would he turn against her?

Lucrezia on the other hand fought with the grace and style the High Nobles were known for, but a new weapon was being wielded by the fair maiden, Viviene's family Katana forged in the Shogunate and keepsake of the clan.

The dream ended there, the sun's first rays rising the young woman from her slumber, she got out of the bed slowly, her once deep black hair now platinum gray, which according to her parents was a side effect of the usage of the draconic artifact, which could also lead to Dragonkin in the family line if Viviene ended up married, that or her offsprings at the very least.

"Marriage" the words felt hollow, devoid of meaning and emotion, they shook her but now the artifact was doing its work.

"Who's the boy, he doesn't look northerner, Lucrezia has no living relatives anymore as well, there's something there I can sense" Viviene spoke out loud, she had developed a habit of talking to herself of late, a stress response maybe? who knew.

The walk to the classroom was not uneventful, word got out that she was back and many came to greet her, it was tiresome but that socialite muscle that was long rusted came back to life in full force, with a warm smile and trained words Viviene became the "Heir of the Arch-Duke" again, a peerless beauty and pride of the nation as the bards were fond of saying back in the day.

The change of hair color was a hot topic among these interlopers as well, but after a few choice words she managed to resume her march to the classroom, on the way she spotted more Knights than ever, it seemed that Lucrezia's little bout of war lit the fire under them, from doing laps to training and everything in between.

The class was half deserted, minus what Viviene came to know as Richard's trio, Rose de Castellon, Tomoe, and Hvtial the class representative who did a full formal welcoming gesture when Viviene entered the room, to the sound of roaring laughter of his companion Rose.

"Ya goddamn goof, the sun is barely out and you are already acting out! Oh for shame Hvtial! at this rate you will end up maidenless and without an heir for the clan!" she slapped the table in laughed but the class rep didn't break, the man was strong Viviene had to give him that.

"At ease my friend, we are all equals here now, doubly so" Viviene flashed her badge of membership from Lucrezia's army, the Reclaimers.

"I know Lady Viviene, but proper decorum must be followed, you are an important member of our kingdom after all" He dusted himself off "Mind not my companion, she's on her period and instead of the usual anger, she becomes a bumbling Buffon" he masterfully dodged pencils and sat down in the middle of the two young women.

Viviene smiled and found an empty spot to seat (Thanks to Hvtial) she waited as the class began filling up, people coming up to greet her and many glancing in her direction. When Arthur and Kaine arrived things took an emotional turn, Arthur, in particular, hugged Vivivene in a bear hug that made her get misty-eyed, raised as siblings she always had a soft spot for him, the little brother she never had.

Kaine, on the other hand, looked older, more mature, and far less full of himself, but she could see deep into his eyes how relieved he was, underneath that carapace of his he was fiercely protective of both her and Arthur after all.

Together with the duo was a tall young woman, her face plump and red, her hair also of the same color swayed in a neatly done ponytail as she shyly bowed "A pleasure to meet you, Lady Viviene, I am Hope, Arthur's..." the word was left hanging in the air, Viviene couldn't help but smile as she hugged the girl "Gods it is good to know that dork found someone who he can trust, we are sisters now!" she exclaimed much to Arthur's and Kaine's mirth, Hope breathed a sigh of relief and smiled as well as they all sat together.

The professor for the morning period arrived, the man looked tired but happy, he gave Viviene a short bow before making way for the final students who were still getting into the classroom.

A glint of Magi-Tech alloy made Viviene snap her head towards the door, where the visage of an alabaster-skinned young woman with a silvery arm stood, she looked like she had just woken up and was dazed from sleep. in her shoulders was a beautiful coat with the symbol of the army Viviene had just enrolled into.

Her eyes locked with Viviene's and in that split second she saw the maelstrom of rage and fluidity of grace combined into a single person, a smile began to form on her face that reached those azure eyes of hers.

Be still my beating heart Viviene thought to herself as the visage of the woman burned into her brain, gods she was beautiful, to her side the familiar face of Richard appeared, the two had a bond, Viviene could see it, Lucrezia immediately relaxed when he got into the room by her side, she trusted him deeply.

"Settle down everyone, we may have royalty in the room but I am still the one who will grade you at the end of the term, no behave, and then we can properly greet our new arrival," the professor said with a smile as everyone sat down, Lucrezia way down near the front of the class by Richard's side.

As the classes went on Hope came to Viviene's side, her face holding a myriad of emotions.

"It's you, the reason she did all that she did" Hope whispered to Viviene "Lucrezia told me about you, the way she speaks its like...like she holds you in high esteem, and yet..."

"We barely knew each other before all of this" Viviene nodded "You think there's more to her actions Miss Yeager?"

There was a hint of humor in Hope's face when Viviene asked that question, the redhead girl nodded "There's always more" she replied as the class came to a close and people started to get up for the cafeteria "C'mon, time for the face to face with her"

Any grammar errors let me know in the comments

Big thanks to my patreons

Huge shoutouts to my friend Webbysaurus

More and Merrier tier: Ranamga, Dalanden20, Aclys, and Empress of Iron!

Draft tier: Davvy. j0nsta, Michelle Sotak, Jakub, Philipp, Henry, BlueWind,  Hovlane, DarkMarine, Charles Owens, Rune, D, Jakub Olczyk, Jog256, HeirofSparte, Btburns, Ruben, Kovaton, Pavo, Taksu, Corshade, Shunji, Derek Singer, OlivierA, Mikhail, Simon Suing, David KD, P.Phil, That_guy, Edward, Bob Barker


Work continues to push me to the brink, but I just got the news that it will get better next month, at the cost of lower pay but fuck me I'll take lower pay over feeling like death every time I get home.

14