V3C11 – Preparing Promises
1.9k 9 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I used Yoru like a phone and connected with the hero party in private,

"You guys doing okay?"

"Akit-Aki got through! Are YOU okay?"

"Yeah yeah, I kind of became the new [Demon Lord]."

"What!?"

I explained my circumstances.

"I see, being surrounded by demons must be scary huh."

"It's fine Ayame, they're actually really nice...probably since I'm in charge. What's going on with you?"

"Well, we had to meet with some nobles and they kept trying to suck up to us like last time. We should really just be heading straight to the [Cursed One]."

"Agreed, that's why I'm going to try and mobilize the demon army, I don't know if there's enough time though."

I might feel a bit relieved if we run out, then none of the demons would die...wait, what am I saying if we run out of time everyone dies!

"I see, we'll help the best we can. Keep us updated."

"Got it."

The call cuts off. I guess we'll meet up at the battlefield. While I was thinking deeply about my next move,

"Make way for the shining me~"

I hear an oddly feminine yet clearly male voice wiggle into my ears. My nerves immediately turned over.

"Lovet what is it?"

His height was impressive as always and he wore extravagantly colored clothes...we're going to war you know? With the clap of his hand he activated a peculiar spell.

[Broadcast]

"This is?"

"One of my unique spells, [Broadcast]. It shows you a screen of things from a distance...its a mind-boggling concept yet beautiful I know. The information-sharing of the demon army is greatly improved with this, not to brag...but it is MY beautiful magic."

Ignoring his pompous tone, I can see the spell is similar to some things from Earth. It's true that this would be great in warfare...

"What are you showing me?"

"Our forces are gathering my lord, for the [Curse] attack."

"That's quite the number."

"Of course! The [Demon Lord]'s influence is greater than you can imagine."

I put my hand on my chin, since I'm in my Aki form the action looks quite cutesy. No, everything I do is cutesy now.

"We have to march this massive army quite a distance...we need resources for resting and feeding...what a headache. I see why Edgar is getting thrown so much work now, he's convenient."

Lovet cuts off [Broadcast] and looks at me expectedly. After telling him 'Good work,' I slump back in my chair as he leaves the room in a dance. A thought keeps plaguing me.

'Kill the [Curses] now! They're massacring by the second, hurry up!'

I need to tread carefully, or both worlds will fall. My mind is a scramble, well how's that any different from the past few days?


Sometime later, something appears in front of me, the mana is so dense it feels like my eyes have been dilated thousand times over. This 'something' takes the shape of a humanoid. This being...is far above me. It spoke,

"Greetings, I have heard word of a new [Demon Lord Aki]. I am known as the [Spirit King] Eurevos."

Sino has told me about him before...what is he doing here? He gave a prompt opening.

"Hello...so do you just go around greeting the newly birthed [Demon Lord] or something?"

"Of course not, but you're an exception."

"Why?"

"Because you came to prevent a tragic future."

"!?"

"Don't be surprised, my resistances are just high. I am a [Spirit King] after all, my grasp on will and mana is tight. I know what comes of the next few days...I know it."

"Then--"

"And I know a new [Demon Lord] isn't part of that future. That must mean you came across spacetime to do something."

"It's true..."

"So I ask you, what is your intention?"

"To stop the [Curses]."

"As I thought, then it seems we're part of the same boat. I'll help you in any way I can. When I was alone, that outcome came to light so you're the only one who can change this twisted fate."

"Me and the heroes."

"Hm? The heroes of the [Holy Kingdom]?"

"Yes, they returned to this world with me to aid [Orvinus]."

"I see, the one who has [Ervia]'s blessing is it? These monsters are evil in nature so holiness should be effective. I will aid them as well. Anyways, speak your wish. I'll help you crush these [Curses], you seem to have a plan after all."

"That's true, something that you could help with..."

"I could give you a blessing like the one the God of Destruction gave you, or [Contract] you with superior spirits...even me?"

"Those would just redistribute your mana pool and we need that for maximum firepower to hold them off..."

"I see..."

"Let's keep it at something small, if you can resist time manipulation then your attribute affinity and mana for space must be good shouldn't it?"

"Well yes, it's an attribute I excel at."

"Can I ask you to transport this army to the frontlines?"

With Yoru's help, a screen of the earlier [Broadcast] was displayed in the air like a projector. Eurevos found some interest in it but quickly turned his attention back to me.

"It is possible, but are you sure that's all you desire?"

"I have my plan, but thanks Eurevos-sama."

"Eurevos is fine, you and the heroes are [Orvinus]'s hope after all."

And Earth.

"Then, I hope you'll appear when I need it."

"Count on it, [Demon Lord Aki]."

A [Demon Lord] making a promise with a [Spirit King] huh...

Eurevos teleported away as I stood in a stunned state. My body is in a sweat and my mana eyes feel overloaded...


Hero Party POV:

We set out soon after coming to the world to the frontlines where the [Holy Kingdom] was fending off [Curses]. We're going by horseback, some of us ride in the back since we don't know how to handle one though. What do you expect from Japanese high schoolers? Ai is somehow in higher spirits, what happened I wonder...

Raldia isn't with us obviously, who sends a princess into the heat of battle!? There are a few knights travelling with us, including [Sword Saint] Gauss, someone who was supposed to have died. Thouria and Rinku cried over him while he had a confused look a while back. Anyways, as we journeyed on through the nostalgic world, we readied our souls for the following events. Equipped with weapons and armor from the capital, we set our sights on the [Curses] annihilation.


Ai Nakano POV:

I was a so-called prodigal genius. The former center of a popular idol group talented in singing, dancing, songwriting, performing, etc. But it felt empty, my numbers went up but my earlier fun didn't rise from work. Fan interactions were great at first, but then they felt mechanical. What's wrong with me? Why aren't I satisfied? I was even a [Magical Girl] bestowed with powerful abilities. I had everything someone else would die for. I did something even worse than that...I threw it all away.

I entered a normal high school I wanted to on a whim, a strong strong whim. Saegusa-san was there which was slightly reassuring, and I made some normal friends. But, it turns out they weren't normal, they were heroes from another world called [Orvinus]! I was straying further from my waving ideals. I met a normal boy at the epitome of normalcy, but it turns out he wasn't normal either. He was actually [The Princess of Ethereal Darkness Aki], a [Magical Girl] like myself with insanely strong powers. I am relieved, happy, struggling, and confused. What do I want? What am I chasing? What am I doing here? Fila comforts me, but an AI wouldn't understand.

[Second Contact] broke out, and death filled Tokyo's streets. It's the first time I saw so much spilled blood. This is a nightmare, it has to be. But, [Curses] unforgivingly kept spilling out and I was powerless in their rampage. For what sake did I become special? Is this the result of a yearning to be no one? No, did I really yearn...did I just want to escape from responsibility? Is that why I was slightly envious of others...what reason justified my contradicting actions? I don't want to think...

The others left for the other world [Orvinus] to try and stop [Second Contact] from becoming more of a problem. Akito stepped up in the crucial hour, I wonder if I can do that...am I exceptional enough? Did I try hard enough? Can--no, Fila spoke to the three remaining in the crumby room. We were informed of the situation, and how we could change it through time traveling. Now that's funny, I think I'm going to be sick. How can you push that kind of responsibility on me? I can't refuse, what's up with that? But, could I even refuse when given the choice?

Together we traveled to [Orvinus] to prevent the piled bodies I saw those days. This genius me being transported with these other unusual singularities. I wonder what lead up to this point. I don't have a choice, I must be Ai Nakano. The idol Ai Nakano. The talented, one-of-a-kind talent, Ai Nakano. That is...me. But what is this chest pain I feel? It's so wrong to deny when we're doing the right thing. Who am I and what do I believe? What are my wishes and what are my regrets? Ai Nakano.

We arrived in [Orvinus] safely but Akito got kidnapped by demons! But don't worry, it seems he's doing fine as the new [Demon Lord] and began preparing forces to take on the [Curses]. I reaffirmed my good opinion of him. Anyways, I feel apologetic since my mind isn't as resolved on the battle as my fellow party members. My head needs to sort itself, or something bad will happen. We set off soon for the frontlines where my powers will be put to use, maybe then I'll find a satisfactory answer? 

Before setting off for the journey ahead, I visit the church of the [Holy Kingdom] where it is said that Goddess [Ervia] grants magic formations or 'blessings.' I don't expect any great changes. That's right, I don't expect a thing. In this other world where no one understands. Where an unbearable responsibility lies. Where I am no one to everybody but am still something.

I don't expect a thing.

65