Chapter 2: Obsession
358 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From that moment onwards, strange things started to happen. Rocca started to get more clingy. She even started to visit my estate on her own without her parents. Nothing could stop her, and I knew our families would approve of us if we ever got into a relationship. I tried to use this time to tutor her and help her become more sociable, but most of the time I would catch her vacant eyes staring at me. Her smile was a bit strange and she kept muttering things that I couldn’t quite hear. Whenever I told her she was acting strange, she would return to normal and vehemently deny all my claims. She was clearly going through something difficult, so I supported her to the best of my abilities.

But things took a turn for the worse when I turned 13. There was a gathering for nobles that I planned to attend with Rocca, but unfortunately, she fell ill before the event, and I went along with my family. I talked to a girl named Katrina Ulonis, the daughter of a marquis, and we had quite a bit in common. To top off the evening, I invited her to dance and she gladly accepted. I went home thinking that I made a powerful connection and nothing more of it. The next school day, I saw her in the hallway and waved to her. She smiled and waved back.

“Who was that, Eric? I’ve never seen you talk to her before?” Rocca asked. I felt a chill down my spine.

“Ah, that’s Katrina. I met her at the ball. We had a good chat and I think we're friends now.” I decided to reply honestly. There was no reason to hide our relationship, we only met each other once.

“Are you sure? She didn’t do anything to you, did she?” Her eyes took a shade of dark blue.

“Really, nothing bad happened Rocca. Thanks for looking out for me though.” I hastily replied to calm her down. Seemingly satisfied with my answer, she smiled and took a hold of my arm.

“Rocca? We are at school, you know?” I pried her arms off. We were older now and we would probably get a scolding from any of the staff roaming by. My actions earned a pouty look from Rocca. Agh. That’s cute.

We entered the classroom. “Hey, Eric! Hey Rocca! Damn man, you really had good moves dancing with Katrina the other day.” Winston chuckled as he slapped me on the back.

“Haha, you were doing well with that other girl too. Cynthia, was it?” Winston blushed and I gave him a knowing smile.

“Wait Rocca, are you okay? It’s okay if you have to rest for another day.” Winston said. I turned around and saw Rocca’s face pale.

“Eric, with her?” I could barely hear her whisper before it became inaudible. I tried to call out to her but class began before I could say anything. When lunch rolled by, she dashed out of the classroom and was nowhere to be found. Later that day, Katrina fell and broke both of her legs. She fell on her own. I couldn’t imagine it, but I was beginning to suspect Rocca. The next time I saw her, I made sure to fully explain the relationship that Katrina and I had. It managed to calm her down a little.

Rocca started to become more reclusive, only going to school to focus on her studies and spending time with me. Her reclusiveness made the other students more anxious and backed the stereotypes about mages. This turned into a negative feedback loop. I tried to help her but to no avail. I realized that Rocca liked me for a long time, but it took me a while to like her back. I didn’t want to date her in this condition and have her rely solely on me. What if I suddenly died in the future as I did in my past life?

When I became 14, our education from the academy ended. I decided to apply to the nearby Yulev University to continue my studies in finance and management. Rocca wanted to follow me, but I managed to convince her to continue certification at the local magic institute. Winston was also able to convince his family that going to university was the right choice and joined me at Yulev.

“Huh, who's there?” my eyes shot open in the dark. My parents rented a house for me close to campus. I clearly heard the floorboards creak. Through the three years that I spent at Yulev, I’ve gotten to know this place very well. Those floorboards would only creak if there was someone near my bedroom. Usually, my maid would also be here, so there would be no reason to be alarmed, but she was on holiday to attend a funeral. I took my wooden practice sword from my bedside and slowly got out of my covers. As I made my way to the door, it burst open, revealing…

“Wait, is that you Rocca?” I said as my jaw dropped.

“I’ve missed you so much, Eric!!!” She slammed her body right into mine, pressing me onto the floor and into a tight hug.

“Why are you here? Don’t you still have a year left at the institute?” I said. I really hoped that she wouldn’t stop her education just because of me.

“Oh come on silly, I couldn’t wait to see you again. So I finished all the requirements a year early!” She said as she started to rub her cheeks against my face. Rocca had grown up to be a beautiful lady. Her blue hair seemingly glowed in the moonlight. I had to snap myself out of a trance.

“Uh, did you make any new friends, how was the institute?”

“There were a few people I guess, the institute was pretty boring.” She said in an uninterested tone. “But now I can be with you forever! I can get rid of all the pests who dare take advantage of you now!” She cackled manically, I couldn’t move a muscle. Wait, is this one of her magical abilities? She continued, “You know, when we get married, I will make sure that we can be with each other every single moment of the day, with no one interrupting us! HAHAHHAa ILOVEYOUILOVEYOUILOVEYOUILOVEYOU-” Oh god, my future is at stake. I knew she was crazy, but this was not the Rocca I knew.

The magic seemed to be wearing off and I immediately scrambled to get out of her hug and off the floor. “Ah! You still must be shocked to see me! Here, let me calm you down a bit~” My eyes widened as her lips pressed against mine. I quickly passed out.

14