Chapter 5: Reunion
275 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Rocca?” Rocca was wearing a full standard infantry uniform, to my surprise. Her hair was tied into a bun.

“Yup, It’s me!” She said as her smile erupted into a grin.

I ran forward and pulled her into a hug. She hugged me back. I didn’t care if she was insane or not. She was still someone very precious to me. 

“Hey Eric, you aren’t the type to break the rules. You can’t bring the girls you chat up inside the camp you know. I’ll pretend I didn’t see you this time. Hurry.” Lieutenant Hilim said quietly.

Rocca’s smile disappeared as she reached into her pocket and pulled out a seal. The seal was intricate with a gold-plated eagle. I didn’t recognize the design.

“Ah! My apologies madam.” Lieutenant Hilim did a slight bow. “You are one lucky guy Eric.” He said as he turned around and smirked.

“Sorry about that Eric, I just wanted to surprise you.” Rocca apologized as she took off her shako and fished out a stereotypical decorated witch hat out of her haversack and put it on her head. It was now very clear that she was a certified mage from a distance. A few eyes turned our way.

Her smile returned as she faced me once more. 

“How did you get here?” I asked. I knew certified mages had a high status but they weren’t usually free to roam outside the country without good reason, especially out here.

“Fufufu. I became an independent inspector while you were gone. So I can freely travel wherever to follow my beloved.” She said, puffing up her chest. Holy shoot, an independent inspector? That was a prestigious title, and I was sure the royalty wouldn’t be willing to hand it to a woman.

“Wow, that’s amazing,” I said. I genuinely had to applaud her success.

“Thank you so much. You know, your words really have a great effect on me,” she said, her eyes downcast. “I’ve really done my best to change. Say, will you go out with me?” She looked at me with pleading eyes. 

“Yes,” I smiled as I replied. I couldn’t help but be selfish at this moment. I truly did love her after all.

She blushed and put her hands on her chest, seemingly trying to calm herself down. Anyone could tell from a glance that she was extremely happy. She then jumped into my arms.

“You are all mine now~” She whispered into my ear. A chill went down my spine. What did she mean by that?

-Camera POV-

It was a moonless night. A man in a plain greatcoat climbed the steps to a remote temple and went into the sanctuary. The idols stared blankly at the carved walls with incense and other offerings laid at their feet. He placed a lantern on the tiled floor and sat down. He was an intelligence officer in the Maeortz army. He had come with an escort of a few cavalrymen, but they were far off, as to not arouse any suspicion. He closed his eyes. After a while, steps could be heard echoing throughout the building.

“Welcome, General.” He said as he stood up.

The man who faced him was in peak physical condition. He was Kalen Itor, a General of the Banta empire. He fought for the Maeortz once but had returned to Banta when his father passed away. “Wonderful night, isn’t it?” He said.

“Wonderful indeed. Shall we sit?” The officer replied.

They both sat down.

“You saw what happened today. The Emperor sacrificed your people, and nothing came of it.” The officer said.

“The people chose to follow him.” Kalen dismissed his claim.

“But do they love him?” The officer asked.

“Some do,” Kalen answered. “But does that matter? A ruler only cares for their obedience.”

The officer smiled, yielding the opening argument. It wasn’t important. The fact that the General came here was proof that he was close to betraying the Emperor. But he knew that the General would try to keep his pride.

“I have a gift for your people.” The officer said, placing a leather bag on the table. The bag chinked as it was laid down. Kalen did not take it. “It is our desire to place you on the throne.”

Kalen raised his eyebrows. “Isn’t Baltor the one who you will place on the throne?” Kalen said. The war started as a result of the claim to the throne after all, and Maeortz already had an heir to publicly support.

“Baltor’s only use is that he listens to us. He is both incompetent and unpopular with the people.” The officer replied. “He is also a Yulta.”

The Yulta were a minority group that came from outside of Holona and conquered the throne just a hundred years ago. Kalen tried to not let his anger show, but it couldn’t be fully contained. “Will you let your people continue to suffer? Will their voices continue to fall on uncaring ears? It is your choice.” the officer continued to push.

“Will you not conquer me once I become emperor? Why should I trust your kind? You always come as traders, then make yourselves rulers.” Kalen asked a final question.

“Well, I give you the promise of our king. I’ve also heard that you are the only officer left who isn’t a Yulta. With you gone, it will be your people next. Ah, I also have a letter here from the Norough, promising to back the Yulta rule. Would you like to read it?” The officer said.

“No need.” Kalen made up his mind. He took a map from his waist and rolled it out on the floor. He started talking, seemingly about something important. The officer's eyes opened wide. “I must tell my superiors about this.” He said, with an urgent tone in his voice.

They exchanged goodbyes and went their separate ways.

As the officer was walking out, a man moved out from the shadows and slit his neck. His lifeless body fell to the floor.

13