Chapter 18: Hunt
929 16 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Faith POV

 

“STUPID VAMPIRE”

Crap. My little outburst as I walked through the door drew Nia’s attention.

“She got away again?”

Over the past month since my failure at the docs I’ve been trying to catch that stupid vampire. I’m not getting anywhere. The weird thing is she shows up everytime I go looking for her, and she gives me lessons every time. What the hell? Is she my teacher? I’ve gotten thoroughly confused by the vampire, and I’m almost at the point where I want to give up. She’s not really doing anything. No bloody banquets, from what I can gather she only feeds on criminals, and primarily women? What is she supposed to be? A lesbian vampire of justice? Just the thought makes me laugh, but it does make me wonder. She hasn’t even touched my blood since our first encounter. Everytime we fight and she cuts me, she almost looks guilty, remorseful, like she doesn’t want to hurt me, and I honestly don’t think she does. I can still see the look in her eyes follow my blood as it drips from the cuts she makes, but she doesn’t touch it. She obviously wants it, but something is holding her back from drinking my blood specifically, why?

“I really am sorry Faith. I do wish I could help you with your problem, but the avatars take all my spare time. When I’m not doing that I’m helping Mystica develop the HDA, or creating more magetech for us to use.”

“Haah. I know, I’m not blaming you. I know I’m overly obsessed with this vampire, but you know what they’re capable of, and this one is particularly strong. It just doesn’t sit well with me, knowing she’s out there, not knowing her goals. It’s like a ticking time bomb.”

I throw my jacket at the floor, and slump down into the couch next to Nia. Leaning on her shoulder as she pulls me into her embrace. The only reason I haven’t gone insane during the past month is her being my anchor, keeping me sane. I’m still not completely ready to initiate a relationship with her, but at this point I’m practically over at her place every time I’m frustrated or need comfort. I did mention during my first visit that I’d go to other girls if she wasn’t available, but since that time she has always made time for me. She really is thoughtful, and I’m falling deeper and deeper every day.

“Mmm, that feels good.”

I can feel myself starting to purr. That’s one thing I’ve always wondered, why the hell is a fox purring like a cat? I’ve asked Sigyn about it but she just laughs at me and doesn’t give me a proper answer. I mean, it’s not a problem, but it’s weird. Nia does seem to like it though, as I can feel her aura turning warm everytime I start doing it.

“I know Faith. It helps you relax. Your body is too tense. Why don’t you stay here tonight? We can order some food, open a bottle of wine and just stay under the blanket for the evening.”

I look at her with a raised eyebrow, blanket my foot.

“Blanket? I didn’t know that was a synonym for tails.”

She lets out a giggle that warms my soul. I love it when she laughs. I’ve noticed she does different things based on her mood. She giggles when she’s relaxed. Laughs when she’s ridiculing people, and chuckles when she’s being seductive or playful. 

“Well, your tails are a lot softer, more fluffy and warmer than a blanket. Plus, as an added bonus, they’re a part of you.”

Oh god, she’s being sappy and flirty. Guess I’m not getting out of bed early tomorrow.

 


 

Here she is again, stupid vampire. I’ve been chasing her another week since Nia comforted me, giving me a little motivation boost.

“Hello there little fox girl. I’m sorry to say but this will be our last date night.”

Date night? She’s treating these encounters as dates? She’s weird. Crazy even. It does make me wonder what changed though.

“Why is that?”

She draws circles in the concrete with her claws as she’s squatting over the ground. She’s not even on guard against me, she’s just that confident, and she’s right to be. I have yet to leave a scratch on her after that time at the docks.

“Well, I have nothing else to teach you. You’re never going to be as strong as I am, that’s just a fact, but you have started using your greatest weapon a lot more. Your mind. You are incredibly intelligent, it’s one of the things I really enjoy about our little dates, but I can’t really teach you any more regarding how to think. You’re going to have to figure out the rest yourself.”

So she did really use these encounters as lessons. I mean it was obvious, but now she flat out confirmed it. Why, though?

“So, as a farewell gift, I’ll go all out today. No holding back. Try to survive.”

Her words sending my brain into overdrive, I always knew she held back a lot, but now she’s going to fight full force? This can’t be good.

 


 

Two seconds. That’s all it took. She robbed me of all my senses, and knocked me out. She was nice enough to leave me on a rooftop, so I wouldn’t be lying on the ground for all to see. Wait, nice? Ugh.

That was terrifying. I don’t ever want to repeat that again. I don’t know what she did, but when she took away my hearing, smell, sight. It felt like I was in an endless void, I was disoriented, and it made me feel scared and claustrophobic. Hm? What’s this? A note? PS: The next time you go out looking for me. You should be fully prepared, playtime is over. - Vampy

What does that mean? Has she finally lost interest and is going to kill me if I annoy her again? No, that doesn’t seem right. Why would she train me for over a month just to kill me? What is she playing at? She is right though, I need to be properly prepared the next time I go after her. Especially considering what she just did to me. She could have done that any time she wanted, I couldn’t even see her, she was gone with a blur and then I was out.

“Watch out!”

I turn my head to see a face I’ve gotten used to over the past month throwing herself at me. My muscles tensing as I think she’s finally getting rid of me, only to notice a figure behind her. An intense heat flows over me, and I look down to see a gaping hole almost the size of her entire torso. Did the vampire just save me? Why? From who? Who is.

Hovering at the other end of the rooftop is a girl, with the wings and halo of an angel, and the tail and horns of a succubus. Those are all the features I can make out before I arrive at her face. I freeze. Seeing the impossible.

No. No. No no no no NO NO NONONONON NO. THIS CAN’T BE REAL! WHY IS SHE HERE?! 

I ran. I ran as fast as I could. Not caring about the presumably dead vampire who saved me. Nor the Angelic Succubus who was trying to kill me. I just need to get out of here. Away. Far, far, far away. My body takes me to the only place I can feel safe, to Nia. I run and I run, as fast as I can, replaying my memories over and over and over and over.

 

How are you alive? 

 

Helena.

42