42 Age Eleven – Under the Vermillion Moon part 6
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Mama?” Urie was unfamiliar with the word. “I don't mind, ma'am... but what does mama mean?”

Stella replied with a peculiar chuckle, “We're already family, aren't we? You let our dear Celeste into your home, and we're letting you into ours. That's what that means!”

In the eyes of the husband and the brother pushed to the side, the subtle mischievousness in her expression was as clear as day. To Urie, however, it had slipped his notice.

—It must be some form of courtesy on this side...

The conversation around the table continued. They talked about the situation over at what they'd started referring to as 'the other side.' About Urie's family, Daerin, the academy, and the Erden Wall. What was most intriguing was the boy's description of the daytime: White, fluffy clouds drifting across a serene blue sky; the sun would sink down by noon and slowly paint orange over the blue; by evening it would have set into the horizon and be replaced by a waxing and waning moon.

Luca listened on with intrigue, and Simone was in awe. Both were so engrossed that they had forgotten to inform Stella that a certain someone was coming to visit.

After finishing breakfast, it was time for the agreed-upon exercise. Before they went outside of the house, Luca asked Urie a question, “Kid, that thing that attacked you—the Nifyr—they pop out constantly around the city but never in any homes. You know why?”

Urie shook his head, “No sir, I haven't the faintest idea.”

“It's 'cause of Volcanus, he keeps himself busy every day keeping those things outside of the houses. That's why there's lighting inside when we got no lamps or candles.”

“Indeed, that was the case! Volcanus is pretty hard-working, isn't he, sir?”

“Bah! It's the only job he's got so he at least has to do it right! Listen, kid—“ Luca raised his hand on the door and momentarily stopped Urie from going out.

He warned, “Once we step out of the door, those things could come up from anywhere, so you better be on your toes.”

“Heard!” Urie stood straight and gave him a salute, “I'll be extra careful, sir!”

“Stop calling me sir. That sounds too stiff for a kid. Call me captain instead!”

Simone threw in a comment, “I don't think captain makes much of a difference sir, captain sir.”

“Shut it, Simone! Here is good. Let's see what you got, kid!” Stepping onto the wide, paved road in front of the house, Luca flicked his fingers and formed a small ball of fire which he threw to the ground.

Waiting, Urie looked over his shoulder, Simone and Stella were there ready to assist. He noticed on Stella's waist hung a scabbard—dark and decorated with golden patterns—housing within a lengthy blade.

—Shouldn't I get a weapon?

“Kid, eyes forward! Here it comes!” A shadow on the ground began to approach them in the direction Luca faced.

“Ah!” Instead of waiting for the creature to appear in front of them, Urie ran to meet the Nifyr—standing over it as it rose up from the ground.

Stella was startled and unsheathed her blade—a long, single-edged blade with a grip that could accommodate two hands—she didn't get to use it though, as Urie showcased a skill he recently got to learn.

A red glow enveloped both his arms as flames spat out to form a column of fire, and the halfway emerging magic creature was torched until it was no more.

“Huff... How'd... I do?” His chest heaving, Urie staggered after exerting mana.

Luca stood in silence and gestured towards his wife holding her weapon in the air—her blade glowing crimson which gave out intense heat gradually dimmed.

Simone exclaimed, chuckling at the stupefied expressions on Luca's face, “Brother-in-law, looks like the boy's as much as a hot pepper as you are!” 

“Bah! He's like a baby handed a knife. You never know when he might hurt himself or somebody else!”

Simone agreed and muttered, “Just like a certain somebody way back when!” What Luca said made sense. At this point, it seemed Urie was still wielding his mana crudely like he had no control over his output. It was just like Luca was when he had first awakened his red seed.

Stella sheathed her blade back into its scabbard and walked towards Urie, “Even so, to burn a Nifyr with raw fire to the point where not a trace of it is left. You think you can do that at little Urie's age? He's an innate fire attribute, right? Volcanus wasn't there to show him the ropes so cut him some slack!”

Simone proposed, “We don't know how long the kid will be here for, so why don't you two take turns teaching him? Sis is pretty good with control, maybe she can stand in for Volcanus.” Hearing this, Luca and Stella both agreed. For different reasons, Urie had something to learn from both of them.

“Kid, can't have you gasping for air after beating down just one Nifyr. I'll teach you a few gimmicks and my wife'll show you how to handle mana.”

Seated on the ground, Urie replied with a quick salute, “Yes sir—err... captain!!”

“What are you trying to get little Urie to call you!?” Stella criticized.

“Speak for yourself!” Luca grumbled inwardly.

Simone tossed in with a broad smile and mischief in mind a suggestion, “How about you call him Papa instead?” 

0