49 Age Eleven – The Two Sides of the Coin part 7
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

Celeste—the young girl stripped of an emotional pillar—at a certain point in time, was approached by the greater water spirit, Undine; the gentle timbre of the spirit’s voice offered sympathy.

[My child, I apologize for not making it in time.]

“Urie, he disappeared. Where did he go?” The young girl replied. The boy whom she’d shared an odd connection with vanished in front of her eyes. He was the first thing she hadn’t felt foreign as she stepped under the light of this Daerin’s sun.

[Still your apprehensions, young one. The boy stands where I have once received you.]

“Will he come back? …Can I go back?”

Undine answered with silence. Whether it was consideration or withholding of what she knew, Celeste wouldn’t have it. Now was a rare chance to converse with the spirit, and fortunately, within this space—this quietness—Celeste’s intentions flowed freely. Without pause or hesitation, she asked the spirit, “Please tell me. Whatever it is, I just need an answer.”

[…I'm not sure, the actions we can take from here are limited. He has to figure out a way from the other side. And I... I can't bring you back.]

“…It's okay. I just wanted to know. Thank you.”

[Hah… It is time to wake, child. Once more, I apologize. I hope you will be brighter by the next time we meet…]

—She left. Her voice sounded so clear this time...

Undine’s voice faded and Celeste was left alone in the blank void—nothing but her idle thoughts keeping her company and a calming warmth caressing her back. Although the spirit left her with only an apology, the young girl felt enough of her sincerity to be soothed.

Immediately after Undine’s departure, Celeste heard her name being called out. The warm caress on her back softly shifted, and the blank void she was in soon trembled.

A small light had pierced through the emptiness and suddenly expanded—filling the entirety of her vision. As it diminished, Celeste was welcomed by the sight of a wide grin and chestnut amber eyes.

“Celeste, time to go home.” Elicia spoke in high spirits. Celeste blinked repeatedly. Her crimson eyes squinted smaller and smaller as behind the bob cut girl appeared another Elicia—making her wonder if she was seeing double.

“Aunt Merea, what about the rock drake outside?” The one whose lap she laid her head on asked. Celeste blinked once more before finally making out a difference of a few inches in their height, as well as a stoic expression contrasting Elicia’s usual clumsy countenance. There were the broken glasses as well; Elicia never wore glasses.

“It's safe to go out, I took care of it.” Dusting her gloves, she had finally reminded Celeste of the woman back at the academy.

—Elicia’s aunt? Is…Is Urie’s mother here? Have they come to get us?

Her stomach churned as Elicia led the way out of the central pillar room. The outside was bright. Celeste hadn’t noticed the devastation in the surroundings leaving her companion in awe, as she was too focused on searching for her guardian’s presence. Merea urging them to quickly follow told her that their return was only going to be a party of three.

As they entered the threshold between the barren area and the forest, Celeste took a few furtive glances behind her.

“Would they be alright going through with just them? Why wasn’t Merea asking questions about Urie’s absence?”

Her mind dawdled between these questions right before the first few magic creatures emerged from the bushes and crossed their path—one, a miniature horned creature covered in fur with a color almost indistinguishable to that of the blue-eyed boy’s hair.

Next to appear, a creature similar to the shadow wolf but more scaled down in size. Its fur was—rather than the shadow wolf’s pitch-black sheen—a plush verdant fluff, blending in almost perfectly in the surroundings. Another, a horned beast with four slender hooved limbs, gracefully leaping over their heads in a single bound.

These magic creatures, seemingly scarce during their first arrival, drew Celeste’s attention away from the problems she’d been mulling. None were aggressive, and were likely more afraid of people like them trespassing in the forest. This she thought, at least, until a bulky brown frame blocked the way momentarily.

The thick-furred beast was the only creature to have tried to bare its fangs and adopt a hostile stance. In a bout of intimidation, however, it was no match for Elicia’s aunt and it quickly fled the scene.

—I can’t walk any further… My feet hurt… I’m hungry…

Celeste’s marvel at the creatures they’d initially missed was waning, and fatigue eventually took its toll. The brightness bathing them from the tower’s ceiling was of no help to her condition either. She could only heave a sigh of relief as the stairs going up the entrance came into view.

—It looks dark.

The absence of the gleaming ball of light from above felt very comforting to her. For a moment she imagined herself back in her home, where her mother would be there to welcome her back with freshly baked bread. However, Elicia shaking her arms in excitement returned her to reality.

“Ya, it’s the exit! We’re here Celeste!”

—I’m… not back... This isn’t my home.

Her apprehensions soon resurfaced—concentrating around a pit of discomfort as her stomach began churning once more.

“Celeste?” Elicia spoke with concern.

“Elicia, she’s tired. I’m sure you are as well. Student Celeste, let’s take you back to the Loeth Residence.” Merea instructed.

“Alright,” Elicia replied, before trying to coax her,” Ya, Celeste, we're taking you home, unless you want to stay here?”

—Could we stay here for now?

Celeste couldn’t go back, at least not now. How would she explain what had happened to Urie? She was about to voice her intention to stay, but was suddenly locked in someone’s tight embrace. The brush of blonde by her cheek was familiar. It was Urie’s mother, Rivelle.

“Celeste, dear! Where were you? We were worried sick! Were you with Urie?” she asked, checking her for any injuries.

Celeste lowered her head, meekly answering, “Yes...”

—Will she hate me? I didn't manage to stop Urie back then, I could have…

Contrary to what she thought, Rivelle spoke no words of reprimand. She asked Merea instead, “Merea, you haven't seen Urie?”

—Is she not she mad?

Celeste raised the question but immediately flinched. Rivelle’s countenance was frightening. How could she not be mad? Urie had disappeared!

“I'm sor— “Celeste tried to apologize but the air around her throat felt too dry.

“Celeste, stay with Patty,” Rivelle interrupted her, and turned towards a direction opposite the Loeth residence. She declared,” Merea, we're going to the academy!” and left with a powerful gust of wind. Celeste slowly loosened the nervous grip on her clothes as she was released.

The maid, Patty, approached, “Young miss, let us head home. The young lady from the Perid house should also come with us.” She said, hoping to allow the two to rest.

Celeste, however, had another thought as she insisted, “No... I will also go to the academy!” Her reason being, was that she realized that Rivelle wasn't mad. A vivid image of her father showed up as Rivelle stood up and dashed towards the academy; her expression wasn’t only that of anger.

—That night… She had the same expression as my papa that night!

 

0