farm animals
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seventh grade, 2010

Warm rays of sun reflected through the big open windows of the café, laying softly onto the tables in the sunlight’s path. The sound of cutlery and plates clanging distantly mixes throughout the sound of light chatter from occupied tables. Miki sat leaning back from her table with the chair on its back legs, her foot perched against the middle leg of the square table. She had a slight rock to her motions, waiting a little more than impatiently as she stared out of the window to the big Willow tree planted outside right across from the table she was perched at. The wind was slightly blowing its long leaves, brushing them just slightly; the sunlight settling and fluttering on each little shrub of green. The top of the tree freckled white leaves, almost making it look like dusted snow on top. They were slowly starting to die anyways, as it was fall, close to winter. The cold air starting to turn everything dead.

The chimes of the door rang out, and Miki turned her head over immediately. It was a Thursday, after school. Miki had already left while Brooke had to stay behind for a bit with a teacher- something about her homework she turned in. The café she was waiting at quickly became their hangout spot after not even a month of the two of them starting middle school, their seventh grade. The girls didn't hang out a lot in their last year of elementary, eating lunch together and then parting ways after school was as far as they ever got. A smile came to her face as the rush of air from the door blew Brooke's shorter black hair out of place. She had recently got a hair cut. Went in for a trim and the barbers cut off a bit more than Brooke wanted- even if it was still well past her shoulders.

Getting older gave them more freedom.

"Welcome in! Please sit anywhere!" One of the workers happily cooed from somewhere behind the counter, Brooke gave a polite nod and a smile, looking her eyes around to spot a head of unruly red hair.

Miki raised a hand in the air, beckoning her over. Brooke's smile only widened as she pulls up the fallen strap of her overalls and her book bag over her soft purple long sleeved shirt. She made her way to the small table with two chairs that’s settled off to the right, a little bit off from the middle floor of the shop. Miki gave her a smile that looks more like a smirk,

"Sorry didn't wait for ya!"

Brooke only huffed playfully in reply, slinging her bag over the back of the chair and plopping down. Miki let her foot off the table leg and let her chair fall forward onto the ground, bringing the same foot to nudge Brooke's. "Could have let me know, though, I looked around for you. For like twenty minutes."

Keeping her grin wild as Brooke kicked her shoe back against her shin, Miki grabbed the second laminated menu and handed it over to the girl across from her. Brooke let out a harsh scoff as she accepts the menu, “It’s not my fault, the homework you helped me with was all messed up. You put the answers in the wrong places.”

With the roll of her eyes Miki took her foot and swung it over Brooke's and locked it down onto the ground. Brooke's other foot swung on top of Miki's and so she repeated the action with her other leg until they were tangled like pretzels and grinning at each other like mad men.

"I already ordered for ya." Miki stated in point of fact just as a waitress brings over another glass of ice water, and turns to offer Miki a refill. She accepts, tipping her glass out for the lady to pour in water. Brooke raises one eyebrow in consideration towards the redhead, thanking the waitress for the water.

Miki picks back the menu out of Brookes hands and happily hands it over to the worker, who takes them with grace- warmly saying; "We'll be right out with your order!" before she walks away from their table.

"Why'd you give me the menu then?"

"For fun! Social graces, or something like that."

Brooke huffed a laugh with the roll of her eyes, ripping the paper off her straw and crumbling it into a ball to then set it aside. She put her straw in her water and started to sip at it. She took her legs out of Miki's then resat them on top of the other, who bounced hers up a few times in reply.

"You're obnoxious." Brooke huffed, reaching up and over to brush Miki's messy bangs out of her face and then flick her on the forehead. Miki grinned through a flinch, untangling her legs and kicking the tip of her shoe against Brooke's. "Why are you friends with me then, hm?" Miki questions innocently,

Brooke stomped on the top of her shoe in reply, pinning it down onto the floor. Smashing it much like she would a bug. "Honestly, I'll let you know when I find out."

Miki winced at the feeling of her toes being crushed; a laugh echoing around her as she tried to free her foot. "You love me." She shot back, bringing her other foot to knock Brooke's off and finally retreat. Brooke gave a winning smile, leaning over the table top, her elbow perched as she rested her chin on her hand.

"Sure." Brooke's smile turned into a grin, her tone teasing and Miki laughed, taking a chug from her cup. Brooke had started to come out of that shy shell she always had around her as a kid. Of course, spending time with Miki Miya would do that too you, but Miki thinks this is how Brooke was always meant to be, she was just too alone and scared of being picked on. She’s happy now that Brooke can express herself. She’s happy Brooke is that comfortable around her.

The waitress returned, interrupting whatever Miki was going to say next. She set a plate of blueberry pancakes in the middle, a parfait topped with fresh cut strawberries in front of Brooke and some chocolate pastries in front of Miki. "I hope you guys enjoy! Please, let me know if you need anything at all!" and with that polite tone, she left the two girls to eat their food.

Brooke looked down at the food in front of them, her throat swelling as her heart isrubbed with affection at the simple act of someone remembering her order. Her smiles soft as she looks back up to Miki, who wasted no time shoving her deserts past her teeth in a big bite. She reaches for her own cutlery, dipping the spoon in and then bringing it to her mouth. Her taste buds are probably smiling because it’s delicious.

"So i was thinking, right," Miki starts, interrupting Brookes thoughts, giving a pause to swallow and then drink some of her water. "That's never a good thing." Brooke retorts, showing all her interest to the yogurt in front of her. Miki kicks Brooke's shin,

"Shut up," another bite, "we should join an after school activity."

Brooke kicks her foot back, more roughly and looks up at to the other, her eyebrow quirking, "You hate being at school though, what gives?"

Miki chews, her lips smacking briefly, she waves her hand in the air in disregard. Brooke swirls her spoon inside of her food, her attention is on Miki with interest.

"We should do art."

It's a statement, not a suggestion. Miki puts her hand down onto the table, picking up a fork and reaching over to break off a bite of the pancakes sitting between them; sticky syrup glistening off the top of them. She brings the stolen food on her fork to her mouth and munches slyly, Brooke doesn’t seem bothered Miki stole from her plate. Miki chuckles through her mouth full of food; “This is really good.”

Brooke hums in thought, taking but a second to reply, "I didn't know you were into that sort of stuff." and finally takes a bite instead of playing with her food. Miki chuckles again not replying immediately either,

"I'm not." and Brooke's confused again; asking her why without speaking and Miki drinks her water, teeth chewing on her straw until she finally speaks with clarification: "I think you'll enjoy it, we'll spend more time together that way too."

With this conversation in mind, Brooke agrees.

---

The after school activity Brooke gave into joining, the art class, was not an "art class" as much as it is a "do whatever the fuck you want till you feel like going home" class. Brooke should have expected it, not exactly the type to believe Miki would do anything that didn't benefit her in the long run. It sort of hurt Brooke’s feelings, how Miki lured her into the idea- thinking it was for Brooke and that it was for them. That Brooke could do stuff she enjoyed while the two of them spent quality time together. What did she honestly expect though, she has to ask herself that.

Miki explained, on their way to the classroom it was in, that the reason she was interested in joining was because of a specific person named Felix.

"He's worse than me," Miki explained as they rounded a hall corner, Brooke had her arms crossed over her chest. She rolled her eyes, knocking her elbow with Miki's with more force than normal,

"There no one worse than you." Her reply is as dry as her mood is, flat. Miki just knocked hers back with a scoff. Brooke hissed at the impact, bringing her hand to rub at it and narrow her eyes in Miki's direction, who just smirked.

"Seriously! You should have heard the way he was talking to the teacher! It was crazy, he got kicked out of class. A real rebellious teen. Anyways," Miki pauses her rant as they stand outside of the classroom, just outside the door. "We're gonna race today. Bet him twenty bucks I could beat him." She snickered, mostly to herself.

Brooke just sighed at the girls antics, "You never change. For the record, he's totally going to beat your ass."

Miki swung her head to stare at Brooke, offense dripping through her knitted eyebrows. "That's rude, you should always be on my side." She brought her hand up to push at Brooke, who toppled a little before catching her balance. The raven glared at Miki, not enjoying being pushed one bit, so Brooke used both her hands to push Miki into the wall next to the door. She gave a lopsided grin as she watched Miki flail to catch her balance.

"Don't come crying to me when you're out twenty dollars." Brooke opted for a tease, walking past Miki to open and enter the classroom. "Hey! Don’t leave me out here!" Miki shouted and pushed herself off the wall to catch up to Brooke, quickly trotting to catch up behind her.

There were a few kids in here, two kids playing on their phones with headphones in; completely checked out. The rest, which were just two boys, were having a lively conversation. There was no teacher, Brooke turned around giving Miki a questionable look and the girl just returned it with a smug grin and a shrug. It turned out this wasn't a class, it was basically just delinquent kids who didn't want to go home yet. They were sure to be in big trouble if they're ever caught, that's a given. Brooke wonders if there’s an actual after school activity involving art. She might just ditch these dweebs and go join that one.

"Hey Felix." Miki sneered his name like an insult, still grinning as she weaved her way through desks. One girl took an earbud out and looked at them through the corner of her eyes; clearly bothered. The boys stopped chatting, the one leaning his hip onto the side of a desk that the other boy was sitting in, pushed himself up and took his hands out of the pockets of his jeans. Brooke came up behind Miki, poking her head around the girls lanky body to look Felix up and down.

He was probably a little bit older than them, his inky black hair hanging over rustic brown eyes; which were narrowed down at Miki. He looked like a douche bag, over all. Brooke stood up straight and moved to stand next to Miki; arm to arm. She fought the urge to weave them together. "Here she is!" He boasts condescendingly, looking over his shoulder to the guy who was sitting down at the desk he was resting against.

"This is Mickey." He says. His tone makes him sound full of himself. He gives jut of his chin towards Miki to gesture her, who just immediately scoffs and crossed her arms.

"It's Mee-kee, actually" She corrects, her tone falsely polite and sharp on her tongue, she turns away from Felix to offer her hand to the other boy who was sitting in the desk next Felix had been leaning on, sporting unruly orange hair; almost appearing to have a mo-hawk sticking straight up through the messy locks. A book was held open between his hands. "Miki Miya." She introduces herself.

"Rune." Is all he says as lets go of the pages, he grabs her hand and gives it a stern shake. Miki snorts through her nose as she looks down at him and he gives her a weird look, pulling his hand back. She flicks her hand up to gesture at his hair, "You look like a rooster." Miki huffs another amused laugh that turns into a small cackle, the redhead turns to Brooke; “He totally looks like a rooster right?” with another laugh.

Rune scowls at her but she was already done with their conversation in favor for turning to look back at Felix, missing his look of dislike that’s thrown in her direction.

"Fitting that your friends are made up of farm animals." She laughs again. Rune makes a noise in protest, or maybe in offense. Brooke just rolls her eyes, the corner of her lips jumping in slight amusement. Felix smirks, looking down at Miki and putting a hand on her shoulder while leaning over her. He flashes his teeth in her face and she shows her own in return, craning her neck up slightly to keep eye contact.

"You'll fit right in then!" His spit splatters in her face at the words as he gives her two rough pats and shoves her back on the second one. He brings his hands back to himself as Miki brings her own up to wipe the spit that got on her cheek. “Say it don’t spray it, disgusting.” Miki’s grin doesn’t fall, but it seems strained. Brooke’s amusement has dropped and she looked between the two of them with a scowl. She brought her arms up to cross around herself, feeling slightly uncomfortable at the manic banter.

"Who's that?" Rune asks, leaning back in his chair. Everyone looks to him and his eyes are on Brooke. "Oh!" Miki claps,

"Brooke! This is Brooke." Miki grabs at her arm, All eyes on her, she blushes as self-consciousness skips a beat in her heart. Miki then locks her arm through Brooke's, who uncrosses them for her leaving the two girls linked together. She feels more at ease. "Hello." Brooke says politely.

Felix looks her up and down, bringing his fist out; she flinches back into Miki's hold. "Bring it in." He says with a look of devilish expectance, it causes Miki to laugh through her nose, Brooke scrunches her face in disgust but brings her fist out to bump his anyways.

"Yo." Is all Rune says, and she throws him a quick nod. "This is great." Miki utters breathlessly and then her body stiffens in anticipation as she un-links from Brooke, reaching a hand out to shove at Felix, who glares at and reaches to push back at her but she dodges. Brooke deflates a little from Miki’s absence.

"We're still on today yeah?"

Felix scoffs, "Like I'd pass up on kicking your ass." and Rune reaches to close his book and put it in his backpack that was slung across the back of the chair he was sitting in. He stands up, stretching slightly and putting his backpack on. The two boys walk off and Miki re-links her arm with Brooke to tag her along.

The hallways are quiet, the absence of students and teachers making their footsteps echo around them. Felix’s shoe kept squeaking every time he would sharply stop and turn around; asking for Miki’s opinion on something he was saying. He was beginning to irritate Brooke, he was haughty, every word he uttered needed validation; at the same time every word he said in someway came off as a way to make himself look better. Felix was worse than her, Miki was right. It didn’t help every single one of their personalities clashed.

“What’s even the point of this?” Brooke wants to know, she grabs a hold of Miki’s wrist, slowing just the two of them down so she could keep the girl’s attention. “What if we get in trouble?”

Miki choked a laugh and gave a look of consideration as her eyes fitted down to where Brooke’s hand was wrapped around her wrist. She didn’t make a move to pull out of the other’s hold, bringing her gaze back up to Brooke’s eyes, “Can you get in trouble for being at school?”

“Nah, they can’t do jack shit about it.” Rune agreed, calling from ahead, Brooke scowled at their ‘private’ or ‘one to one’ conversation being listened in on and interrupted,

Felix brought his hand up, nodding as he made a noise of agreement, “Exactly, at least not till the front gates close, and teachers go home from the teacher’s office. There’s other students still here too.”

Brooke tightened her hold on Miki’s wrist, the girl in holding gave a pained noise as she shot Brooke a look of questioning, and then Brooke just let go- drawing her arms up to cross over her body. She huffed, a pout adorning her features; “Whatever! I wish you guys would get in trouble.”

The boys ignored her with a laugh, in favor of returning to their own conversation and play fighting. They only walked for barely a minute longer and the track and field area was right up ahead and so the two took off out of the doors in a dash. Miki was about to join in to catch up, but stopped herself and spared a look at Brooke. They stood right in the door frame, the door had closed, keeping the two of them isolated together.

“Mad?” She questioned, and Brooke tightened her grip on herself, biting into her bottom lip. “No,” She replied shortly before adding,

“They’re annoying. It feels like they’re just using us for a joke.”

Miki gave a pointed look and hummed, turning to look at the boys who were now far outside in the distance through the windowed doors and then she nodded.

“Probably.” She breathes quickly, somehow reassuringly, “But, its fine.”

Brooke dropped her arms to her side, fist clenched, her mouth parted slightly as she looked at Miki incredulously, “You’re kidding? You’re fine with being a laughingstock?” Miki shook her head in reply, “We won’t be, I mean have you even been paying attention? They’re such dolts.”
Theres a beat of silence as Brooke thinks on what Miki said, then the redhead adds through a laugh; “Besides! We’re the cool ones, hanging with people from a higher grade. They’re hanging around kids a grade below them! How pitiful! Guess they have no friends their age.”
Brooke was skeptical as she always was, but Miki sounded certain, so she didn’t push on it anymore. If Miki saw benefit out of it in some way, she’d have to let the other do what she wanted. Miki bounced in her step, swinging her arms over to stretch as she pushed open the doors with the side of her body, yelling out to Felix and Rune to catch up. Brooke picked up her pace as well, not wanting to be left behind. She figured Miki knew what she was doing, so she followed her blindly. The tense set of the shoulders running in front of her acting as some sort of guide. Something to believe in, something to follow in. Brooke stood at the outskirts of the track field, standing awkwardly next to Rune as Miki and Felix stood on the colored asphalt. Miki stretched her body dramatically, jumping in place to keep her blood flowing. You could tell Felix was annoyed with her.

“Okay Rune, you count down for us.” Felix snapped out as he turned to face Miki, specifically sticking his nose up to make it obvious he was looking down at her. She grinned up in reply, “One lap, whoever makes it back at this spot first; wins.”

Miki stands up straight, letting her arms loose by her side and rolled her eyes; “I know that!” She snaps, “It was my challenge. I got it, let’s do this thing!”

Brooke rolled her eyes at Miki’s choice of words, only feeling more irritated as she points up to Felix’s face with her finger, chanting; “Prepare to face your worst nightmare.” In a ghost story voice.

Felix all but scoffs, brushing hair from his face, “I’ve seen how you run, Mickey, you run like a grandma.”

“It’s Mee-kee!” Miki growls, “Jesus, I run like a cheetah.” She spits with venom, and he rolls his eyes while nodding, pretending to agree with sarcasm, “Yeah, right, Sure.”

Rune’s voice cuts through them, disinterest coating his tongue; “Are you two ready? It’s hot out here.” Brooke gives him a weird look, shifting her weight as the sun beats down on her. It wasn’t that hot. Early November has it a little bit chilly, but the guy is dressed in a heavy hoodie, and pants. Miki and Felix get in to line, and Run stands ahead of them to the side with his arm out.

“On your marks.”

Miki looks to catch eyes with Felix, the two of them glare.

“Get set,”

Miki sticks her tongue out, tensing her body in preparation and brings her hand up to pull at her bottom eye lid. He scoffs and rolls his eyes, taking his attention off of her and to the track laid ahead of them. Rune brings is hand up,

GO!” He shouts, taking steps back so he doesn’t get bumped into.

“Eat shit, barf brains!” Miki screams, and Felix chokes a noise, started from her screech. Miki takes the opportunity and moves to start running in front of him, cutting in and blocking him from taking efficient steps. “Hey!” He growls in irritation, and Miki laughs manically as she pushes her legs so smoothly it almost looked as if she was on wheels. Brooke watched in surprise, never before has she seen Miki in action like this. Her movements were smooth and guided, almost calculated but still clumsy around the edges. Miki’s legs pulled and pushed herself almost as if she was leaping forward, her body moving all over the place though, not in a straight path. Felix catches up, his running much straighter and more composed. He’s taller, his legs move him further, he pushes past her and Brooke watches in worry as Miki reaches out to grab at the sleeve of his shirt.

“Let go!” Felix shouts at her, moving his legs to race himself away from her. Miki’s hair is flipping everywhere in the wind of her movements, she jumps in the air behind him, an animalistic noise ripping from her throat. She lets go to push at his back, forcing him to bend forward. It was almost as if it was some performance level game of leapfrog. Miki kept her hand planted on his back as he yelled and slowed to a halt to stop himself from falling. The girl soared over him and quickly made her landing, bending her knees to the right angle and used it to thrust her body forward, and back into speed.

“Sucker!” She gloated as she took off, not even glancing back to spare him a glance of concern. Brooke stared in shock, watching the others red mane of hair flow behind her in the distance. “That was cheating!” She calls out to her, flabbergasted, and Rune only chuckled beside her.

Felix recovered quickly, a glare masking his face as his strides came a little messier than before as he pushed his body up and into motion. Shoes stomping loudly, he caught up to her in no time, anger fueling his movements, using his shoulder to slam into her. Miki’s arms flailed out as she made a noise of shock. She glared up at him once she was able to keep her footing. Miki straightened her running out and turned to fling her own body into his. Miki snarled as he laughed; his own body meeting her halfway. Felix was taller and had quite a bit more meat on his body than Miki herself did. She made a noise of surprise as her body bounced off, also still moving in the other direction from the momentum of her running. Her elbow slammed into the ground as Felix laughed out. Rune gasped in a wince and Brooke started running over as soon as Miki touched the floor.

“Karma’s a bitch!” He clicks his tongue and continue running, only having a few steps before they made it all the way around. “Looks like I win.” He says, in mock surprise with his arms stretched out beside him. Miki groans in pain, bringing her hand up to cradle her elbow to her torso as she rolls onto her back. Brooke makes it over, losing balance as she stalls right beside Miki, falling forward onto her knees.

“Are you okay?! Is it broken?!”

Miki blinks her eyes, blearily looking up at Brooke; who’s shadow was blocking the sun. The girls face was knit in worry, the gesture of it makes Miki laugh. Brooke gives a look of surprise, and Miki realizes her laughs sounds like chocked cries of pain, but they aren’t. She grins up at Brooke who just huffs, her face relaxing slightly.

“You worry about me too much.” Is what Miki says around her teeth, and Brooke stares down at her. It’s not broken, but it’s scrapped and blood is starting to flow freely. Felix approaches, his hand out and ready to receive. He doesn’t offer any support or care. “Pay up.” He speaks in clarification down to them, Brooke glares up at him and Miki reaches down into her pockets, pulling out a ten and two fives. Brooke reaches to grab it out of her hand, making a noise of protest. Miki just moves her hand around Brooke’s and Felix snatches it greedily.

“Pleasure doing business.” Miki all but purrs, and he laughs down at her disheveled appearance laying on the asphalt.

“You know what animal you’d be?” He asks her, his grin unwavering. Miki blinks up at him shocked from the random question but curiosity starts playing on her features, “Ooh, do tell.”

“You’d be a fucking monkey.” Felix spats, the words said in disgust, Miki starts chuckling, and then soon cackles as Felix walks away; Rune bids them a ‘see you tomorrow.’ And takes off after Felix. She squeals through her laughs with her eyes squeezed shut, “A monkey!”

Brooke looks down at Miki in shock, maybe concern, but then shakes her head and wonders how anything Miki does could shock her at this point. Brooke still offers a hand to help the girl up, who takes it gracefully, complaints falling out under her breath.

“That’s what you get for cheating, actually.” Brooke utters, and Miki gives a look out of the corner of her eye. She tilts her chin up and flashes a smirk. Brooke gives her a look of disappointment, clicking her tongue.

Miki stands up and brushes off her clothes, the blood that got on her hand from her elbow ends up smearing onto the fabric. Miki ignores it, “Hey, it’s not like there were any rules set.”

Brooke scoffs, “That may be true.” She gives a disgusted look to the blood smear, “But look where it got you.” Miki shrugs and the two of them start walking off, heading back inside to grab their belongings left in the classroom.

The walk isn’t that long, Brooke says they should stop by the nurse to get her arm bandaged, Miki all but politely disagrees, saying she’ll deal with it when she gets home. Brooke just shakes her head, what an idiot. The sun’s starting to fully set, the halls and classrooms are tinted orange, its odd to be at school at this time. It’s a weird feeling, it’s like being in a store after it closes, or being at a park in the middle of the night. Empty and void yet calming all at once.

“You’re gonna pay for my lunch tomorrow, right?” Miki asks teasingly once they get into the classroom, and Brooke laughs loud in return. Ignoring the question in favor of saying;

“I guess I get to say ‘I told you so’, huh?” Brooke’s tone is lighthearted and Miki grins back, bending over to pick up both of their backpacks, she extends her arm to hand Brooke her own bag, there’s blood sliding down her thin arm. The raven reaches over to snag her backpack before it gets on it. Miki gives a toothy grin, adjusting her bag over her shoulders,

“I have a feeling you’ll be saying those words a lot.”

-

1