confined
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

November of 2014.

This is such bullshit. Absolute blasphemy. Critically unfair.

Those are the thoughts floating inside of sixteen year old Miki Miya’s head as she slides her thin body into the leather seat of her dad's hired gatekeeper for her. Seriously! The audacity people with money have. Miki scoffs, slamming the door closed as she juts her knees together and puts her school bag onto her lap. Rio scolds her for slamming the door. She ignores him in favor of staring ahead for a second, silence as she pouts. More like seethes. She could seriously punch something right now.

When she got home from staying the night at Brookes, her mother confiscated her phone and put her on lock down. Camilla said that she needs to learn one way or another.

"How was your day?" Rio interrupts her anger with a knowing smile, the dark haired, dark skinned, darkly dressed man who is supposed to chauffeur from school and back everyday. He also stays at their home most of the time, Rio happens to be her younger sibling's babysitter. Guess he’s Miki’s babysitter now too. Just great! Anywhere she goes, he goes. To and from school. If Miki is told to grocery shop, if Miki is told to clean, if Miki is told to do absolutely anything; he must supervise. It isn't like she's a convicted murderer, Jesus Christ. She feels pathetic.

Miki's own blue eyes flit to meet his own with a snarl just itching to break out on her face. He smirks, almost looks amused, as he knows just how much Miki hates this. His eyes are more cloudy; almost looks as though he's going blind, a milky filmed over look to them. In contrast, Miki's eyes reflect more of the sky, where as Rio's seem to breathe crystal ice from Antarctica. It's a nice contrast with his dark skin. He’s a nice man, has a good sense of humor. On a normal day, they are practically friends, she’s known him for years. At least since the twins were around five or so. He doesn’t have a family of his own, so he spends most of his time at the Miya residence.

She forcefully shuns him and turns to stare forward, glowering while not moving her eyes to even look in his direction. He just laughs with amusement as he pulls onto the road to start driving back to Downersgrove. It was at least an hour and a half of a drive. She normally took the bus. Being on house arrest sucked. Miki just wants to be cuddled up to Brooke and have her girlfriend run her hand down her back in a petting motion. Miki clicks her tongue in frustration at the thought, only wanting to see Brooke more now. She lulls her head to look out the window beside her instead of in front. A restricted feeling of unfairness tightens around her lungs and chest. She frowns.

"Oh yeah," The man says out of nowhere, breaking the silence that was somewhat comfortable, Miki almost turns to look at him but catches her movement and stops it. She tenses her neck and jaw, immaturely refusing to look at him, "Your sister is at home right now."

Miki rolls her eyes. She could care less where her sister resides. She thinks it’s stupid that her mom sends Ena to stay at her grandparents house anyways. Putting her elbow on the armrest attached to the door, she leans on her hand and stares further out the window with narrowed eyes. Miki stares at the passing scenery with disinterest, wishing she could open the car door and hurl herself out of the moving vehicle. She chuckles a little at the dark thought. Not in a suicidal way, though.

"Your mother will be taking miss Susie out with her for their business trip over the weekend." He continues, this makes Miki turn to look at him, skeptic showing through her squinted eyes and raised eyebrow. She wants to roll her eyes at the way he calls her ‘miss Susie’. "So what? Just get to the point." She spits out, confused and irritated. She just wants to go home and lay in bed.

"So you'll be watching Flynn."

Miki blanches, all her air runs out of her lungs in evacuation as she huffs. "Isn't that YOUR job?" Her voice raised a couple octaves but Rio, having been working for the family for a good seven or so years, isn't phased by her shrill.

"Well, Miki," He says, giving her a passing side glance as he turns his turn signal on at the light. The clicking indicator echoes around them through the tense air, "your mother wants you to gain a sense of responsibility."

“What the hell.” Miki grumbles to herself. She grinds her teeth together and throws herself back against the seat and into the door, pushing herself against it as if she was trying to escape and just glares out the window. Man she was starting to itch for a smoke.

 

-

 

The girl rushes up to her room once they get back home with no time to spare, Miki ignores her mother's beckoning from the sitting area. She closes her door roughly, not slamming, and locks it behind her as if it was a statement- not that anyone was around to hear it. She throws her backpack on the floor, moving into her bathroom and flicking the light on as soon as she enters. She makes a beeline for the walk in closet that’s attached to the bathroom, she peels open a huddle of clothes hanging on the bar from hangers, the plastic clinks together as she swats the few scattered boxes of cigarettes out of the way and grabs the borrowed cell phone from Felix off the hidden shelf nailed into the wall, it sits above the already built shelf- you need to move clothes to make it visible. Miki was mischievous.

She unlocks the screen and immediately opens her text messages with Brooke. There's five notifications, Miki softly smiles before she even opens the texts to read. Her face feels warm as she stands in the dark of her closet, still, the only light softly pouring in through the bathroom. She’s using an app that generates a fake phone number for you, since her actual phone was taken away and also has her sim card in it. She frowns at that thought.

-------
-today 9:30am-
-brookiebaby-

hi! gm!
-------
-today 9:31am-
-brookiebaby-

i hope you slept well and have a good day<3
-------
-today 11:58am-
-brookiebaby-

[brookiebaby sent an image]
-------
-today 11:59am-
-brookiebaby-

look!!!! theyre hiring!!!!!!!!!!!! omg should i apply?
-------
-today 12:24pm-
-brookiebaby-

i applied im so nervous
-------

 

Miki's eyes widen as she taps on the image to open it, there's a picture of a window from the cafe. THEIR cafe. She immediately notices Brooke in the reflection, she's wearing a big puffy coat and a scarf wrapped snugly around her neck, her false blue hair tucked neatly inside; it was winter now after all. It's been nearly a month of Miki being grounded. Around three weeks and two days- bringing them to the middle of November, the two texted all the time and Brooke sometimes snuck over; if it was needed to be hidden in secret Miki would climb down the roof; which Brooke would scold her for every single time. She almost sprained her ankle last time, since she jumped off the last ledge of the roof trying to show off, typical Miki.

There was a little snow from last night, the thinnest line of it under the window and in the shade safe from the warm threatening sun. Inside the window, was a sign that says 'Now hiring! Looking for part time workers! and a bunch of smaller written information under, that the phone camera didn’t focus on, making it unreadable.

She texts back a reply in excitement, her hands shaking in adrenaline.

 

-------
-today 4:27pm-
-miki-

HOLY SHIT, BROOKE THAT'S AMAZING
-------

Miki's grin widens, her heart swelling as her eyes crinkle. She looks up from her phone, and lets out a puff of air in a slight laugh. She’s so happy for her girlfriend. Miki wishes she could crush her in a big tight hug and pepper kisses all over her face.

-------
-today 4:29pm-
-miki-

I'm so proud of you <3 <3 <3 <3
-------

 

The moment, however, is short lived. Miki drops the phone right after she hits send, startling in place as her breath chokes her for a second. Her mother is pounding on her bedroom door, Miki breathes roughly, irritation pulling on her lips. She kicks the phone further into the closet and under a non-folded pile of clothes on the floor. Luckily the walk in closet is carpeted. Felix would be pissed off if she broke the phone he’s letting her borrow.

"Why the hell is your door locked, Miki?!" Her mother's angry muffled voice is heard. Miki ran out of her closet and bathroom, closing the door quietly and then moving to her bed.

"What do you want?" Miki voices, a little loud so it can be heard through the door. The reply is instant; "Open this door right now or I’ll have your father take it off completely!"

Miki sighs at the demand and moves to open the door. She barely turned the knob before her mother shoved the door open in a rush. The door smacks onto Miki's bicep and the handle hits her elbow as she couldn't take a step back in time. The girl hisses as the impact, sharp pain shooting through her bone. She glares at her mother who's rushing in and brings a hand up to cradle her arm. "What?" Miki barks out, annoyed with her mother already.

"I presume Rio has already told you?" The woman questions with a sniff while ignoring her disobedient child's tone, standing straight and her voice terse. Her mothers arms are crossed, her weight planted onto her right side. Miki huffs, walking over to sit on the edge of her bed. "Don't start an attitude with me, young lady!"

Miki crosses one leg over her other leg’s knee and looks at Camilla, the woman's face is tense on disapproval and irritation; just by looking at her own daughter. Miki sighs and drops her gaze and clenching her fist in her lap, "Yes, he told me."

"Good." Camilla drops her arms to her side, bringing one up to gesture. "We'll be leaving in an hour." Miki just nods, looking at the side of her bookshelf and tracing the pattern of the wood with her eyes.

"Flynn needs to finish his homework before dinner, if he doesn't finish he doesn't get dinner." Miki nods again, well familiar with the rules. Although she thinks it’s messed up to not feed a child over not doing their homework. She’s had it done to her before, only a few times. Miki’s good at most of her subjects, surprisingly, so homework isn’t that much of a challenge. Sometimes Felix will copy off of her and vice versa if she’s ever forgotten.

"You will be in charge of making dinner." Camilla starts listing, Miki snaps her gaze up to her mother and opens her mouth to start protesting that she sucks at cooking but her mother puts a hand up to silence her before she starts. Miki grits her teeth and feels her sharp nails dig into the palm of her hand. She takes a big intake of breath and puffs it out.

"Dinner will be chicken, with a side of vegetables of your choice, along with scalloped potatoes. Nothing more. He will not be getting desert tonight for how he treated our guests earlier today." Her mother pinches the bridge of her nose at the memory of earlier. Miki lets out a snort at that statement, “What’d he do to the guests?” but Camilla ignores her and continues speaking on.

Miki deflates, starting to tone out her mother. Flynn's already a nightmare as it is. He just turned twelve a few weeks ago. His teenage hormones completely taking over. A boy that expects everything spoon fed to him. You're not allowed to tell that kid no, hell, even if you do he'll find a way to get what he wants. He's a brat. Miki and him do not get along most of the time. If they worked together, they'd make quite the intimidating team. Too bad Flynn see’s how their mother treats Miki and mirrors it.

"Ena will be coming with me and your father, and I don't want you coming downstairs until we've left. You're still grounded." She states with a curt sniff in disinterest and turns around to leave the room, "His bed time is no later than nine-thirty. You know this."

Miki glares at the carpet and her mother pauses at the door, her freshly painted French-tipped nails tapping on the white wood,

"Rio will not be helping you." Camilla isn't looking over at her, "If you don't screw this up, you might lessen your punishment as it stands now."

The door closes and Miki throws herself backwards, sprawling onto her back on her bed and slamming her fists into the comforter below her. She throws a silent tantrum. Her blue eyes stare furrowed at the ceiling that mocks her from above. Her eyes focus on the glow stars that are stuck up there and is reminded of Brooke. She grunts low back in throat, eyes softening as her body relaxes. She stares for a little bit longer in silence.

The tension in her chest eases a little at the thought of her sweet and beautiful girlfriend. Miki sits up with a grin, and runs back into her closet to pick up the abandoned phone laying on the floor in the dark. She shoves it into her pocket as she grabs an open pack of cigarettes along with her see through neon green lighter from the covered shelf and goes back to her room. She opens her window and lifts her leg over and out to step down onto the lower slanted roof that is like a platform beneath the window. She plants her feet hard to lay flat against the roof tiles, since it’s slanted slightly she doesn’t want to slip and fall. Her shoes scrape against it as she turns to shut the window behind her; leaving it cracked less than an inch so there’s room for her to stick her fingers under and open it back up. Miki takes a few steps to the left and then plops herself down on the flatter part of the roof, one leg outstretched and the other bent up. She leans her elbow on the knee that's propped and fishes a cigarette out of the red and white box, lighting it swiftly as she takes a drag. Relief fills her veins and lungs as she breathes out, relaxing against the wall.

Miki then pulls out the phone from her pocket and dials a number she knows by heart. Automatically her fingers move on their own without even having to think about it and press the call button, she brings the phone to her ear and waits for the ringing to cut off with a soft 'hey Miki'. The moment those words are uttered, Miki blows out another puff of smoke through her curving lips,

"Hi." Miki breathes bashfully, smiling at the sound of Brooke's voice, "Wanna come over?"

 

-

 

Brooke shows up with roller skates in tow, just like Miki requested. She had forgotten her roller skates at Brooke’s house at one of the times she snuck out to see her.

Convincing Rio to let Brooke stay over was hard. Eventually he just stopped replying to Miki's pleas, so the girl took that as a yes. It wasn’t like she heard a no. She had already invited Brooke over anyways, so the girl was coming whether Rio liked it or not. It was six o'clock in the evening, and Miki was cooking dinner. Miki flips the pieces of chicken in the pan that's placed on top of the burning stove and puts the lid back over it, the sound is clunky and it mixes in with the other sounds of cooking ambiance; like sizzling chicken. She figured today she would make the dinner she was told to make, screw tomorrow. Her mother didn’t specify if she had to do both nights.

Flynn was sitting on a bar stool at the mantel bar that sits all the way to the right of their kitchen, connected to a dining room. He was doing his homework, finally being quiet. Miki ruffled her hand through her own hair as she leaned against the counter and crossed her arms, lazily staring at the boy who was completely focused on answering whatever questions were printed onto his paper.

"Are you almost done?" Miki questions, looking at the food that's nearly done; a bowl of cooked broccoli, seasoned of course, covered by a plate to keep the baby trees warm. The boy doesn't answer her, she knows he heard her. She internally groans.

"Flynn." Miki states out his name, it floats in the air and he looks up at her through his bangs and then straight back to his work. Miki puffs a breath and scoffs, irritation laces her voice and the question comes out impatiently with a high note on the back of her vocal box, "Are you almost done?"

He doesn't answer, and she throws her arms down in a fit as she clicks her tongue in irritation. Miki see's the corner of his mouth quirk up, causing her own mouth to quirk down. Now she knows he only messing with her to get under her skin.

"Brat." Miki spits, turning her attention back to the stove as she hears the front door open and Brooke yell out; she didn't bother to knock as per Miki's instructions. Her parents weren’t home so who cares?. Brooke just walked in like she was coming home from a stressful day at work. Miki stops sneering at Flynn to smile at the thought while she turns off the stove, "I'm not going to feed you now, you get none of this."

"Are you starving kids now?" Brooke asks, her voice half a breathless laugh. Miki's irritation dwindles to nothing as she cant fight the amused grin pulling her face, she throws her head over her shoulder to look at Brooke who's walking up next to her.

"That's no kid, that's a nuisance."

Miki looks at Flynn from the corner of her eye, the boy is glaring at her while staring at the both of them in distaste when Brooke presses a kiss to Miki's cheek, "A nuisance at best." His voice is nasal and clipped as he straightens his posture and fixes his papers to be straight, "At least I'm not a problem child who causes problems for everyone."

Miki furrows her eyebrows, "You're a shit head, that's what you are."

"I'm telling, I am also going to tell mom you had Brooke over." Flynn nods at his threat, opening his binder now to put his papers away and tossing his pens into his pencil bag.

"And that you starved me." His voice is finality. Miki's nose scrunches as she turns her body to face his direction with a snarl, top teeth showing,

"I didn't fucking starve you, your dinner is right here!" She gestures to the pan by hitting it with the pair of tongs in her hand, the pan clinks loudly and slides off the burner it was sitting on. Brooke frowns at the action. “Not to mention, Mom told me not to feed you if you didn’t do your work. So I personally don’t think she’ll care.”

Flynn just shrugs as he slides his backpack over his shoulder, and hops off the bar stool, getting ready to put his school things away. He shoves the chair back in and the metal on the legs scrape against the tiled floor. He stands up straight, looking to his side at Miki with a smug expression.

"Maybe I'll just out you."

Miki halts, her breath catching and shoulders tensing on the sheer adrenaline from panic that jolts down her spine. Brooke is immediately putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder to maybe lessen the fire that’s burning a little, "Don't you fucking dare, you fucking weasel." Miki’s teeth are grit, eyes dark as she glares at him through the wall window of the bar. Rio walks into the kitchen from the opposite door in the room, the one that leads into the backyard.

"What the hell is going on?" He questions, Miki doesn't move her gaze and neither does Flynn. Brooke lets her hand fall and sighs, throwing a look of disapproval Flynn's way before she turns to face Rio with a light-hearted shrug.

"Oh, you know them."

Rio crosses his arms, "It's barely been an hour, Miki." the tone is disappointed, and tired. She's so sick of everyone in this house regarding her with that tone. That she's such a fuck up. She didn’t even do anything wrong here, Flynn is the one instigating.

At the sound of her name she snaps her head into Rio's direction, she can see Brooke turning to look at her with underlying hints of concern in her expression, but Miki just glares daggers in Rio's direction.

"He fucking started it!" She yells like a child, throwing the pair of tongs that were clenched in her fingers, pressed so tightly into her hand it leaves an imprint against her skin, against the floor. It bounces off and hits one of the bottom cupboards, flying off that and scattering across the floor. So much for keeping it cool for the night. Brooke immediately grabs Miki's wrist before she can move to do anything else, Miki struggles against the hold for a second but just lets it be. Brooke moves her hand to intertwine their fingers. 'I'm here', is what the action says, 'you aren't alone.'

Flynn scoffs a laugh, and shakes his head in amusement, "Wow," he laughs louder, "Aren't you supposed to be the adult here?" he turns and starts leaving the room, Rio demands for him to stay so he can hear the whole story of why these two are once again screaming at each other. Well, Miki was doing the screaming. Flynn knew just how to get under her skin by keeping it cool.

Adult? No! She wasn't. Miki seethes, staring at the back of his head, at his hair; hair that looks similar to her own, if only a little more on the orange side.

"I wish you were never born you pathetic runt!" Miki yells in frustration, she didn’t necessarily mean it- she just says horrible things when shes wound up with negative emotions. She hears her own voice echo back from the mostly empty dining area right outside the kitchen. "Hey!" Rio scolds her, glaring at her, "You don't say that shit to your family."

“Tell that to him!” She starts "He's not my family." Miki says quiet with finality, accompanied with an eye roll, turning to look back at the food that's ready to be dished up on the stove. Rio makes noise of irritation, "Of course he is. He's your bro-"

"So Brooke, can I get you anything?" Miki talks over him, wanting to move on from the topic, turning to look at Brooke with a smile, "We have broccoli, chicken." Miki gestures her free hand at the food on the counter and stove in offering as she pulls Brooke closer over. Brooke feels a smile pulling at her face as Rio exclaims 'hey!' behind them.

"I didn't even say you could have her over!" He says in disbelief, as if he’s only just now realized her presence. Miki turns to look at him with a frown, "Well she's here now, so."

Rio huffs, "Seriously?" he asks, disbelief again, "And don't think you're off the hook for this little episode, you're supposed to be taking care of him and learning responsibility." Brooke lets go of Miki's hand to go look at the food and Rio starts to make his way to go after Flynn and talk to him,

"Like I care what happens to mister 'golden boy'." Miki drawls out her mockery. Rio throws her one last disapproving glare as he leaves the room. “I’m only fucking sixteen.” Miki grumbles.
There's a beat of silence, Brooke observing the food quietly and already taking down two plates from the dish cupboard, the ceramic disks clink against the counter twice as she places them down. Miki turns to observe what she's doing. Chicken and vegetables plated, Miki realizes she never made potatoes, she almost feels like crying.

"Should I make a plate for Flynn and go take it to him?" Brooke offers genuinely. Miki's scoff is undignified, "NO!" She shouts, halting Brooke from getting another plate with the grab of her hand.

"What?" Brooke looks at her with confusion, "Why?"

"He just threatened to out me!" Miki snaps at Brooke, some spit flying out and landing on Brooke's cheek. The other girl glares at Miki for getting in her face. Miki’s expression eases at the look, knowing she’s being over the top. She adds quietly, “Threatened to out us.”

"He won't do that, he's known about us for a while and hasn't." Brooke says, clipped and rational and she wipes her cheek with her shoulder. "Come on." She pushes. Miki lets go of Brooke's hand and grumbles as she flips herself around to lean her back against the counter and cross her arms, looking away from Brooke.

"Whatever." Miki still has a gut feeling, but knows Brooke is just being her kind and caring motherly self. “I’ll do it, give me a plate.”

Brooke sighs at Miki's stubbornness, but smiles at the capitulation. They make a plate for Flynn and Miki trudges up to his room, stomping every step of the way. When she opens the door, Rio is sitting on the edge of the boy’s bed and talking to him. Flynn is sitting in the middle of it, knees pulled up. Both males turn to stare at Miki, who just purses her lips and then walks in to place the plate onto the boy’s dresser. Rio doesn’t look mad at her anymore, so Miki can only hope Flynn told the truth about what he said.

“Eat it before it gets cold.” Miki mutters, barely looking at him. She turns to quickly leave the room but as soon as she gets out he calls out for her attention. Miki halts and looks back at him.

“Sorry.” Flynn mumbles, eyes looking everywhere but in her direction. She can see Rio smile out of the corner of her eyesight. The girl doesn’t say anything right away, stands there awkwardly frozen- and then her body relaxes.

“It’s fine…” Miki turns to go back downstairs.

 

Once Miki’s back downstairs, two eat dinner, and then Miki suggests she goes out and practices roller skating. Brooke agrees, thinking it’ll be a good way for the girl to blow off some steam. Brooke did have to admit, Miki was getting pretty good at roller skating. The Miya's had a vast backyard, a big area of the grounds covered in concrete, there was even a small fountain in the backyard. Miki had plenty of room to ride around, but she barely could skate at her own house because of her parents, who believe its a waste of time and brain power… and that it was for boys, so if Flynn wanted to skate- he could.

Miki zips and zooms around her backyard, and Brooke calls out to her pointers.

"Make that turn sharper!"

"You stopped too slowly!"

A loud sound echoes in the quiet backyard as Miki wipes out.

 

"-!! You stopped too fast now, are you okay?!" Brooke’s voice is laced with worry, running over to Miki’s side to see if the girl is alright. Miki fakes being in pain and Brooke lowers herself down onto the ground to see, only to be pulled further down into a kiss. Miki grins against her lips and Brooke pulls back- reaching to smack her arm.

“You had me worried for real there! You’re too sneaky.” Brooke scolds her but she’s smiling.

Miki ends up with a scraped elbow and bruised wrist, but being around Brooke’s presence she can't find herself to really care. It doesn’t hurt all that much anyways. It’s cute when Brooke worries for her.

 

-

 

They finish roller skating, and then Brooke pulls out a joint from her bag that she dropped by the bar stools when the two come back inside, Miki grins at her and the two make their way upstairs after cleaning up the dishes. Flynn’s empty plate is down here, which is a good sign. It's cold outside so Miki grabs her blanket and helps Brooke out of her window and onto the rooftop. The two sit down in the same spot Miki sat earlier when she was smoking her cigarette, the cold bite of soon to be winter evening nipping at their cheeks, noses, and hands. Miki wraps the soft throw blanket around both of their shoulders. She snags her lighter out her pocket with nimble fingers as Brooke pulls the filled cone out of its container.

Miki lights it for Brooke as the girl takes a few short puffs to get it to light properly, then one deep one. Miki plucks it from her and puts it to her own lips. Brooke was still coughing a little when Miki leaned in and pressed her lips to Brookes parted ones and blows her smoke into Brookes mouth. She wasn't expecting it so she coughs and Miki smirks as Brooke pushes her off gently and moves over. Miki brings the joint back up to her mouth, taking an actual inhale this time and holds it in, already feeling the immediate sedating effects.

She blows the smoke out into the dark sky in a big puff and hands it back over to Brooke, "So you applied to that job?" Miki asks, shaking her foot a little as its outstretched with her leg. A cough accompanies the reply she gets, "Yeah."

Another drag, pass.

"One of the workers already told me I can go in for an interview on Monday."

Miki holds the burning rolled paper in between her fingers, looking at the smoke steaming off the end of it and into the cold bitter air. "Already?" Miki hums low, and then brings it up to fill her lungs. Brooke smiles and gives a 'yeah' as she leans her head back against the wall and looks up at the stars. She doesn't make a move for the drugs so Miki just brings her knee up to rest her hand with the joint on. Brooke's face looks relaxed when Miki looks at it,

"You'll have money to pay me back for all those packs of gum I've bought you." Miki jests lightly with a smirk thrown in the other girls direction when Brooke brings her focus back to Miki, Miki can see her eyes already going red on the fence of being intoxicated. She’s sure her own don’t fair any better, she can feel how heavy they feel already. Brooke's lips flop into a lopsided grin, her head lulling to lean on her own shoulder and look at up Miki.

"Those were gifts." Brooke laughs. Miki chuckles, "If anything you owe me, I've paid for every meal that we’ve got at the cafe since like, last year." Miki's laugh deepens as she takes another drag and this time actually passes it back to Brooke. Who takes it gingerly with a smile, sitting up to take a proper smoke.

"Split the bill?" Miki jokingly asks as Brooke inhales, watching her chest shudder on a cough as she exhales. She can see the amusement in Brookes eyes, so she continues, "Oh, I think I forgot my wallet though, this ones on you sweet cheeks."

Brooke rolls her eyes as Miki presses sarcastic wet lips against her cheek, bringing a hand up to wipe off the slime. If she wasn’t high, she would have made a disgusted expression, she couldn’t care less right now.

"You don't even own a wallet." Brooke laughs, taking another drag and passing the rest of it back to Miki for the taller to finish off. Miki does so with grace, saying that she actually does own a wallet.

The two finish smoking and then go back inside, there was still enough of the joint left for someone to use again, not much- but enough, so Miki put it out as gently as she can as to not ruin whats left and puts it back in the container it came in. Miki and Brooke were now laying on Miki's bed, Brooke half on top of her with her head laying on Miki's chest and an arm and leg thrown over the scrawny girl. Miki hummed in content, bringing her arm around Brooke and her hand up to run her fingers through the dyed blue hair, black roots showing.

"We gotta re-dye your roots."

Brooke hums back in acknowledgment drowsily, she jolts her head up to look at her girlfriend in a daze. They stare at each other for a moment, before Miki leans down and presses her lips against Brooke’s own. She can feel the blue haired girl’s lips twitch into a smile against her own, and then Brooke’s head turns a little to deepen it. Miki uses her tongue to coax Brooke’s mouth open, who makes a noise of appreciation. The hand thrown over Miki is entangled in the girls shirt and Brooke is absentmindedly rubbing the fabric between her fingers. Miki’s hand in her hair tangles itself further. They pull apart for air and a string of saliva sticks to Miki’s lip- she doesn’t know who’s it is but she licks her lips to get it off and then grins happily at Brooke.

Miki drops her head back, her face flushed and eyes half lidded. Brooke puts her head into the crook of Miki’s neck. A breeze comes from the window that they left open to get rid of as much of the smell as possible. Miki untangles her hand and starts petting through blue strands. Brooke’s hair is soft, and she smells soft. It’s comforting. Brooke shivers slightly, nudging herself closer and letting out a puff of breath before her breathing evens out lulling to sleep immediately by the motions of Miki’s hand in her hair.

Just by feeling the girl on top of her she cracks another dopey smile as she lays her head back and looks at the ceiling. She looks at the glow stars, which were slightly glowing; the two were in the dark, the only light coming from the inch cracked bathroom door. Miki must have forgot to turn off the light in there, she does so often that the bulbs have died a few times.

Miki breathes a puff of air into the empty space of her room around her, and then moves on her side slightly to face Brooke, and embrace the girl back. Miki shoves her leg between Brookes and presses her nose to Brookes hair as she wraps her arms around her girlfriend, the familiar smell of Brooke's Pantene hair wash fills her nose and makes her more comfortable than she was before. The familiarity starts to pull her into sleep.

"If we got jobs," Miki starts through a slur, talking to no one in particular. Her throat scratchy from dry mouth, her body feels numb and tingly and all she can feel is Brooke pressed against her, the rest of the world doesn't even exist as far as she’s concerned, it’s just them. Them against the world. "we could.."

Miki trails off, resting her face further against Brooke's head and sighing, she knew Brooke was asleep and there was no way she could hear her- maybe her subliminal mind could, but that didn’t matter she kept talking anyways, "We could get an apartment." Miki breathes out hazily, holding Brooke a little tighter as Miki hums again, more quiet; on the verge of slumber. Miki smiles against her hair, and rubs her hand on Brookes back.

Miki falls asleep thinking of them in the future, moving into their own place of living together. Her smile follows her into her dreams that night. It’s the most content she has been in a long while.

They have to sneak Brooke out in the morning though as Miki’s grandmother stops by to check on things. Playing spy for Miki’s mother. It irritated her, but they got her out without being noticed- Brooke didn’t want to jump off of the roof. She wasn’t reckless like Miki was.

Miki missed her already.

1