Chapter 55
4.6k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          The Heavens really blessed Fei Ge and me, both of us who are kind-hearted.  While we did a good deed and although unintentional, we had busted the city's largest-ever disc production gang. 

          Speaking of this, initially, we only wanted to save Ye Sha from the quagmire and accidentally chanced upon this gang which had hidden in A-city for several years.  They forced debt-ridden girls or tricked ignorant girls to shoot porno films then recorded them into discs and sold them through their own sales channels to Taiwan, South-East Asia, and other places.  In addition to making discs, they also organize and run a complete range of other services.

          The gang of criminals was shrewd and ruthless and the victims were usually so scared that they did not dare to speak up and suffered in silence.  The victims also did not dare to report to the police about their predicament plus these gangsters were very cunning.  They would trade a bullet for a bullet and were very alert.  Every time they were able to slip away from the police successfully and they were incredibly arrogant.

          But this time the police followed up on the clues and dug out the rest of the gang hiding in A-city netting in no less than thirty people.  I even heard about a case which happened a few days before, that a headless naked female torso found in bed was connected to this gang.  When these pests, who defiled women, were caught all the newspapers voiced their 'satisfaction'.

          Although Fei Ge and I had acted recklessly, we were also considered to have done a great job.  Online support for Fei Ge totaled more than a hundred thousand messages and declared that if Fei Ge is dropped from the national team because she carried a chopper to catch the bad guys, then her supporters would boycott the viewing of all future women's volleyball competitions since a female hero should not be treated in such a manner. 

          At last, matters came to a rest.  Fei Ge's leader called her and gave a scolding, saying that she had no discipline and no brains.  When she went out to fight for justice, she should have hidden the chopper and not like now, her good image was destroyed for being so crude.  Who would dare to marry her in the future?

          Fei Ge recklessly and thoughtlessly retorted.  "If no man dares to marry* me……then I will marry a man!"

          (The Chinese word used here for the word ‘Marry’ is ‘Qu’ () which means a man ‘marries a wife’ or ‘takes a wife’.  What FG meant is that if no man dares to take her as a wife, she will take a man as her husband and the husband will have to carry the surname of FG.)

          After hearing the words of this nitwit female monster, her leader choked then swallowed down all the lectures he was about to spew and reprimanded her a few more words before he hung up the phone.

          Fang Yi Heng really did call to give her a scolding.  It looks like this housekeeper is the only man that could control Fei Ge.  She acted strangely and the usual big woman became a small woman after she received Fang Yi Heng's call.  At first, she was submissive and gentle but later got angry when Fang Yi Heng kept on scolding her.  Unable to keep on acting lady-like, she then began to gesture with her hands and feet and shouted abuses.  "What?!  Surnamed Fang, who do you think you are?  Every two to three days, you would come and control me.  Do you want to be my mother?  What if I hold a chopper to hack people?  I didn’t hack you!  Why don’t you worry about yourself?  What?  Fang Yi Heng, I am a piece of rotten dead wood, damn……you want to transform me?  Yes, yes……this old mother is cursing, so what?  I am a foul mouth, so leave me alone!  If you don’t like it, then we can go separate ways!   This old mother doesn’t need you, this type of hypocrite, as friends!"

          After shouting into the phone, Fei Ge's eyes turned red, then let out a sound *pei*, and threw down the phone.  For so many years, the two of them had got along like this, always desperately shouting at each other.  Every time they would separate unhappily but after a period of time, that person would call her and Fei Ge would change to a submissive individual again.  Then she would be scolded by that man and she would change back to her original self and separate unhappily again. 

          Surely that person still had Fei Ge in his heart, right?  But what was he giving Fei Ge…… friendship or love?  I am afraid even he is also uncertain about the answer to this question and he is still hesitating, still seeking for it.  But this can not go on forever and even I, as a bystander, feel tired........then what more of Fei Ge?

          Fei Ge became a popular figure on the net and every day there would be someone requesting an interview with her but I was not so lucky.  In addition to getting a scolding from Lao Tan, I also had to write a review on self-reflection.   My troubles seemed to come one after the other. 

          The first person who came to look for me surprisingly was Kang Zixian's grandmother, Wan Taijun.

          Fei Ge initially wanted to hide in my house but because she became so popular, her government official uncle had requested that she go back to accept her leadership commendation.  The minute Fei Ge stepped out of my house that Sunday night, Kang Zixian's grandmother, Wan Taijun pounded on my door.

          At the door, when I saw the stern face of the old lady, I gaped at her.  A saying instantly flashed across my mind -- Those who come have ill-intentions and those with well-intentions never come* (来者不善,善者不来).  

          I stood at the door completely at a loss for words.  "You….uh…..I….."

          I prayed that she had come to the wrong place.

          Wan Taiju smiled slightly and her wrinkles spread.  At least she possessed the kind looks of an elderly.  "Little girl, we meet again.  Are you not inviting this old lady in?"

          I finally reacted and almost gave myself a slap in the face.  Usually, I am quite bold and when I see the Bureau Leaders I would occasionally tease them to liven up the atmosphere but I did not know why, every time when I see Kang Zixian's powerful grandmother, I have the urge to run.   Thinking about this, perhaps I had watched too much TV dramas about wealthy families strongly opposing two lovers.  At present, I and Kang Zixian's relationship was actually not very clear and I trembled slightly at the wealthy family elder's thoughts.

          "You, you……please come in."   I reluctantly invited the old lady into my house and squeezed out a twisted smile.  When I saw Wan Taijun sweeping her eyes around the living room which resembled a garbage disposal dump, my brains exploded and the blood in my whole body rose up to my face.  Suddenly my face heated up.

          "Uh, that…..sorry about the mess.  Recently I have been busy and didn’t have time to clean up…..*he,he,he*……Actually, I love to be clean!"  My hands were busy picking up the clothes that were piled on the sofa and threw them aside.  Finally, I cleared up a place for the old lady to sit down.

          Seeing the old lady was still looking around without any expression, my instinct told me that whatever good she saw in me had declined, maybe close to negative.  I felt my head getting bigger and feeling unconfident, I scratched my head and said.  "Do…..do you want some water?  I…..I will get you a glass of water."

          I just wanted to quickly leave the old lady's side to breathe freely.  As long as she is here, I did not know where to put my feet but obviously, this is my house.  Probably this is due to the old lady's legendary aura.

          Wan Taijun looked distastefully at the pile of clothes, then swept her eyes leisurely at the photos on the wall.  Then finally, she directed her eyes at me but at least she still has a slight smile.  The words that came from her mouth were straightforward and blunt.  "This old lady is old and only drink hot water.  You are so busy, do you still remember to boil water?"

          I shrank my neck and was caught by surprise for a moment.  I understood the old lady had come with ill-intentions and anyway it is still courteous to converse a few words but would that not be too hypocritical?  Who would have known that she would turn around and unexpectedly show me her strength?

          You really have incredible foresight…..incredible…..really incredible!  I straightened my back and said.  "I'll boil the water.  Wait for a while."

          "It's alright, just sit down.  Every time you see me, you will quickly slip away…..it’s twice already.  This old lady is not for you, young people, to play around with."  Wan Taijun's graceful face showed a trace of unhappiness as she pointed to the small sofa next to her and said.  "Sit down and talk to this old lady."

          I already know what she wanted to say.

          It is obvious Wan Taijun is taking advantage of the fact that Kang Zixian is away and not in the city to get rid of me.  And it is at this critical time that I made a mistake and now she has a very good reason to pick on me.  She is worthy to be the crafty grandmother of Kang Zixian and the Kang Zixian of this generation is simply 'the student who surpassed his master'.  He is better than his master!

          I sat down bitterly, feeling anxious and uncomfortable.  I, Fang Liang Liang, is also an idealist and an aspiring good young woman.  There are a lot of people who cherish me but why is it, in the eyes of this old lady, I am worthless like Cinderella who had crawled out from a pile of ash?  Why is it that Kang Zixian is a prince in her eyes?  Does she know that Kang Zixian always bullies me?  Even if I have grievances, I have nowhere to vent.

          The old lady withdrew her courteous smile and her sharp old eyes shot over. 

          "You are called Fang Liang Liang?"

          "Ah?.......uh."

          "24 this year?"

          I nodded reluctantly.

          "Have been in the police force for 2 years?"

          "This year August will be 2 years."

          "Why are you still doing undercover jobs?"

          "Isn't this the Leader's arrangement?  *He, he, he*"

          "High school performance not good?"

          "Ah?  This……I can't remember."

          "Sure enough, your memory is not good.  Were you raised by your mother?  No father?"

          "….."

          This is really too much!  The flames in my heart had risen two feet high.  I could not keep quiet and passively accept this surprise attack! 

          The old lady's questions became sharper.  Before she coming over she had done her investigations and came prepared.  The purpose is to prevent me from dodging, make me feel ashame and as a result, I would automatically disappear from her grandson's side.  This would  enable her precious grandson to find a more suitable woman because my common people genes would ruin their family’s noble lineage.

          I admit that during my high school days, I had been reckless.  I can endure others exposing my scars but this Wan Taijun now hinted that my high school results were bad due to the many fights I had and it was all due to the fact that Fang Liang Liang did not have a father.  What legendary old lady?!  She is but someone who is comparable to my aunt who is snobbish and without virtue! 

          Exercising such cruelty to determine my character!

          My heart heated up and unable to suppress the burning fire, I laughingly said.  "Didn’t you have me investigated?  You don’t have to ask anymore as whatever you have investigated is true."

          The mirror on the opposite wall reflected my rebellious face and Wan Taijun's mouth lifted.  She smiled thoughtfully and her face looked weird and unpredictable.         

          I straighten my back and said.  "Regarding your investigations, I am sure it is not complete.  As the subject of the investigation, I can help by giving you more information."

          "I was raised by mother, that is a fact.  When my father died, he didn’t even know my mother was pregnant.  At that time, my mother was a girl in her early twenties but she still gave birth to me because she loved my father very much.  Don’t say that because I don’t have a father, I don’t have anyone to teach me because my mother was very dedicated in teaching me.  She waited until I became an adult before she remarried.  If she hears you, she would not be able to accept it.  Although the headaches I gave her since I was a child are aplenty, my mother and I have good feelings for each other.  Both of us, don’t think that I have any psychological problems and when I was born, my mother put my dad's photo on top of my bed headboard.  Every day she would let me play with the photo, so from young until adult, my father has been with me during the years I grew up……I also have a father."

          Wan Taijun sat on the sofa with an imposing manner and had a solemn expression but I did not know whether I was mistaken........her eyes seemed to have lost that coldness.

          But such a prominent woman cannot be overlooked.

          The old lady lifted her slim eyebrows and in an unhappy tone, she said.  "What?  I only said a word and you answered back with ten words.  No discipline!  What did I do to you?  Look at your angry face, you are losing your cool!"

          The old lady sitting opposite me stared obliquely at me and she no longer had the courteous false smile that she showed in the beginning. She stared at me with an expression a bit like she was my neighborhood old lady.  Still, with such childish behavior and knowing that she would be disgusted with me eventually, I decided to give my all.

          I looked at her with narrowed eyes then turned my head away while muttering with a voice loud enough to be heard.  "You are here to trample on me, so how do you expect me to stay calm?"

          The piece of hypocritical tulle was completely torn down by me and the atmosphere tensed up with swords drawn and crossed* (Mutual hostility).  Both of us simply veered off the main topic. 

          Wan Taijun gave a cold humph and said.  "You are a smart child……  Yes, I am really not pleased with you."

          From young to adult, I had tried my best to seek recognition for my efforts and once again I felt I had been defeated.  On hearing the elder voicing her undisguised dislike for me, I felt as if needles were piercing my heart, poking holes where hot blood was flowing out.  My whole body was clamoring for rebellion and heating up, so I said.  "I am also not pleased with you!"

2