Chapter 5
1k 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

         So now the situation was:  From the beginning until now, I had the feeling of being kept under suppression without any opportunity to speak and being led into a trap.  Just like a monkey kept in a cage in the zoo waiting to be beaten and isn't this a zoo?  Deng Loong and Xu Jin Wei, both sitting opposite, happily waiting and watching me be killed.

          I sat motionless, silently beside the enemies and suffered in agony.

          "I thought you are going for supper?"  The handsome Kang suddenly asked like a host to his guest, his voice carrying a touch of authority.

          "Yes….ah, forgot about it."  The two people sitting opposite answered in unison smilingly stood up and prepared to leave.

          Good.  The zoo was now closed and the 'killing the monkey' event was canceled.

          I had an idea.  I stood up to follow the duo with the intention to slip away but the voice behind me said.

          "Did I say you can go?"

          I turned around and smiled at him, hoping to reverse my image.  "I also want to go for supper.  I'm hungry.  Please relax in your seat.  Don’t be polite and no need to see me off."

          I did not know whether it was an illusion or otherwise but the man Kang seemed to narrow his eyes.

          "Presumptuous!  Go for supper?  Is it time to go off work?"  My path was blocked by Deng Loong who was standing by the door.  He snapped.  "Go and do what you are supposed to do."

          Then he closed the door.

          Looking at the door slowly close shut, I felt angry and wanted to bite the door into pieces.  Unable to get near Deng Loong and instead was shut in a room with a mysterious, cold man and this man was obviously bent on revenge.

          I decided to quickly settle this.

          With my back facing him, I rubbed the pain in my temple.  I took a deep breath, turned and picked up the half bottle of red wine on the table and took a big gulp.  Then I put the bottle back with a bang and put my foot on the coffee table.  With both my hands on my waist putting on a fierce expression, I loudly demanded.  "Hey, surname Kang, what do you want?"

          The indifferent, cold man sitting in the same place, merely glanced at my thigh, sipping his wine, said.  "You have exposed yourself."

          Following his gaze, I looked down and was shocked.  More than half of my thigh was exposed but fortunately today I felt cold and did not wear my miniskirt. 

          I was embarrassed and quickly put down my leg.  To see him at ease, my heart was annoyed as I had lost some of my imposing manners.

          He was still sitting in the same place, still looking handsome but his revengeful face made me irritated.  He faintly stated a fact.  "I hate being deceived, Miss Fang.  I do not like it."

          I shouted.  "Do you think you are very noble?  Trailing me, intimidating me with a phone call in the middle of the night……..I was drunk, crazily drunk, okay?  Who told you to stand in front of me that night?  You were there, so I approached you, just blame yourself for the bad luck!"

          He lifted his eyebrow and said.  "Miss Fang, there is nothing wrong being drunk but your mistake was picking up the wrong person."  He abruptly stood up, walked slowly in front of me, suddenly extended his hand and pulled off my beautiful wig.  Smiling, playfully said.  "Later you will find out that I'm very petty."

          My intuition told me black clouds were forming above my head.  Shouting would be useless and this petty man wanted to start a long war with me.

          As I was contemplating on my situation, he looked at the wig in his hands, lifted a relishing smile, said.  "Tonight, you have put on a heavier and more fanciful makeup than that night and this wig also…… do you think I will not recognize you?  Your eyes cannot fool me."

          I choked.  Usually in a mission, the most troublesome was to deal with someone with high IQ which could result in being led along by the nose.

          He threw away the wig in his hand and looked at me provocatively.  "Do you know what is written in your eyes?"

          "What?"  I was curious.

          "Liar…..in your eyes is the word….liar."

          You can only blame yourself for being stupid, my heart muttered.

          I tactfully withdrew the arrogance shown earlier, displayed a pitiful face and looked at him, pouting and tearfully said.  "Mr. Kang, how can you be like this, saying that I deceived you, which obviously is slander. Do you think it is easy being ladies of the night?  Not only do we have to feed our families but also take verbal abuse from men.  We are also human……"

          He was not moved and coldly said.  "Put away that act of yours."

          I shrugged my shoulders and pretended to sob and felt a bit tired after sobbing for a while.  This man was as cold as an ice sculpture and did not give me any leeway to step down.  In my heart, I was swearing and cursing and decided not to pretend to be like Lin Daiyu* (The heroine in the classic Dream of Red Mansions who was timid, gentle and very talented).  Squeezing some false tears from my eyes, I said.  "Hey, surname Kang, what more do you want?  I have already cried and tears have already dropped a few drops.  When I was young, I, Fang Liang Liang never cried even when my mother spanked me on my ass.  I have already done my best."

          He frowned.  "Each time you address me, you called me 'surname Kang'.  Miss Fang, your sincerity in an apology is lacking."

          I pursed my lips and did not speak.

          "According to what I know of Miss Fang's character, you most probably had forgotten my name."  He said.

          I looked at him innocently and very sincerely replied.  "This is indeed true.  You do have self-awareness and you are not handsome enough for me to get obsessed.  Your name is Kang…...what?"       

          He pulled a long face, stared at me and a fire seemed to be burning in his eyes.

          I laughed, patted his shoulder and said.  "Do not be discouraged.  My eyes are very discerning.  You are considered good since I still remember your surname."

          He looked coldly at my hands resting on his shoulder.  I dropped my hands and said unhappily.  "Okay, okay, I am not pleasing to your eyes and the same here, you are not pleasing to my eyes either.  Anyway, you know my morality.  Next time when you come to Meise, remember to stay far away from me so that I will not anger you.  That's it, let's forget each other and never meet again. Bye-bye."

          I turned and was about to slip away and did not expect a pair of big hands pressed me on my shoulders making me immobile.  I was shocked, turned around in anger and stared at him.  "What do you want?"

          "Zixian."  He calmly said.  "Kang Zixian."

          I blinked my eyes in confusion.

          He stared at me.  "Do not let me say this for the third time."

          This situation was really strange with a trace of annoying ambiguity.  I blurted out.  "You better not like me."

          "Do not insult my sense of aesthetics."  He replied.

          "Same here."  I stole a glance at him and saw him laughing.  I clenched my fists and walked off.

          I was flustered and exasperated to the extreme.  These days were really getting more and more uncomfortable.  For the case, I had to sell myself, whining like a cat in season, getting close to homosexuals, dealing with freaks who suddenly jumps out from God knows where, each eccentric surpassing the last.  Do I look like a punching bag?

          I became more and more irritated.  I returned to the lounge to sulk when there was a slight movement at the door.  Dong Zi moving like a thief, stuck his head in. 

          "Mary……Sister…….."  When he saw the lounge was empty, he tiptoed and slipped in, still holding a wine tray.

          I anxiously looked around, tilting my eyes to the corner, drawing his attention to the camera above.

          Dong Zi took the hint but still persisted.  During working hours, we were not allowed to carry cell phones, so for him to appear in the lounge, he must have some urgent matters to tell me.  I could see his mouth move.  "Yesterday repetition.  Save my chrysanthemum."

          Then he glanced at me miserably, turned around and sadly left.

4