Chapter 4: Mind-Numb Investigation (‘Ange’s’ Perspective)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

A creature skitters within static shadows borne from the sun's rays being blocked by buildings.

Traversing the village at a breakneck speed while exploring her surroundings, now that she was no longer hidden in her friend's shadow.

She sought out information that she could offer her friend about what other spots in the village needed tending to. Or at least, that was what her excuse was. Her goal was in fact to see how the new generation behaved and work backwards to the old.

 

"...Annoying." A faint voice muttered when the shadow landed behind a butcher shop. Silent while the people inside argued with the butcher about the quality of the meat cut. All these ants do is complicate matters. The shadow thinks with pickled aggression while continuing its tour across the place. They are sooo noisy! I sometimes wonder if their ears are on their feet. How else could you explain their inability to hear themselves?

What I would not give to see all of these fools prove to be monsters beneath their deceitful flesh. Their deaths would be nothing but poetic justice when that occurred, as they squirmed and howled in terror before their final moments. 'Ange' thought with vindictive glee or at least she believed that she had such glee.

 

 

However, that was not the current goal for the shadow, even if she would love to see consequences rear their head at the noisy complainers. She was still thankful that Gard did not make remarks about her going off to explore.

She always appreciated them for that, even if Gard knew that she didn't think highly of all the towns they visited.

 

The shadow stopped momentarily, watching from the distance, a building that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Settling into a moment of revelry as they waited for the shadows to dip farther, to reach out to their neighboring shadows.

Though our relationship was odd by the standards of Deep Ones, that was the sort of relationship we wouldn't have any other way. Angelica thought with a hint of amusement.

 

Gardener who grew up and learned all different kinds of Elder One teachings, but was always endeavoring to try something new.

Angelica who never once met an Elder One, still largely agreed with their thoughts, at least with the surface-level discussion topics Gard had told her.

Both traveled together to examine the land for weeds of all different kinds and for things to be repaired to return a semblance of beauty to the world.

 

 

But really, we've gone through this dance dozens of times, with only a few towns proving to live up to his expectations. Stating to herself with a morose undertone.

Rushing a hint faster towards the spot she believed was the most noisy in the village, moving along the darkening streets. She felt embroiled in irritation as she avoided a leashed dog that seemed to have noticed her, the dog running back to its owner terrified.

Perhaps I should have been quieter as I passed, but this town so far doesn't raise my hopes it won't be another dud. Angelica speculated as she followed down an alleyway shadow to avoid more nosy animals.

She didn't want to let her mood darken, but she could already almost feel the humans here were unworthy of living a day more.

 

The entire affair left a bitter taste in her jaws, making her want to take a long overdue break. Gard however, was always on the move to aid the land when he found new places despoiled. Though she couldn't see why the rush, Humans were always tossing garbage into their paths when they couldn't be bothered to clean up after themselves. Angelica mused, pushing her shadowy body through the metal fence, flowing onto the school's ground.

Almost appearing like water if looked at in the distance, she returned to her flat shadow form, racing to the building with the bulk of the classrooms, slinking underneath the door, as another errant thought followed.

Animals were killed and skinned but only their feathers or fur were taken to be used for gaudy adornments.  The entire thing was a travesty." Angelica muttered, aware that few were still walking through the halls, as on a whim, picks the farthest classroom from the entrance. Entering it in her usual manner, while ignoring the teacher gathering his supplies in his desk.

 

Suppose the teacher had been paying attention to the back of the classroom while they had closed up. Perhaps they might have caught the sight of something. a stray shadow flicking in the corner of the room as it slinked to its new spot. However, it would be hard to say what that teacher would have done if they had discovered something beyond their comprehension. Run, scream, faint? An answer for another time.

This is not worth my headspace, it's already been decided, so there is no more point thinking about it until I get more info. Deciding to be the bigger creature, she simply silenced her concerns and settled down in her new spot. It was time to wait for the next day and see how the younglings in this place acted away from their adults, and see if my evaluation changed. Maybe they could give me a good surprise.

 

There the shadow waited, in an unnamed corner of an unremarkable classroom, empty of the residence of anyone else.

Desks left unattended, with their worn seats pushed underneath. With windows on the right wall, displaying the world outside of the classroom. Angelica watched to see the full moon rise in the night sky, its presence calming and almost wonderous for the shadow.

Though a beautiful sight, it would eventually come to an end, for time marched on. Onwards to the next school day.~

0