Chapter 7 – Xiang Yin, thank you
2.3k 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

These few days, the number of people seeking medical advice in the backyard of Long Feng Restaurant had continued to increase.  Everyone came purposely to take a look at the girl rumored to be entangled with Dong Fang Tang.   In addition, because of her foot injury, it was Dong Fang Tang who carried her everywhere and even when Dong Fang Tang was seeing his patients, she would sit by the side quietly reading her book.  This time, no one dared to come forward to matchmake for Dong Fang Tang anymore.

"Auntie Li, your pulse is normal.  Where do you feel uncomfortable?"

After Dong Fang Tang checked her pulse, he felt puzzled and asked Auntie Li, whose eyes were staring straight at Ruan Xiang Yin and Zhang Sheng in the corner.

"Doctor Dong Fang, my health is very good.  I heard the news from Auntie Wang, so I especially came to see Miss Ruan.  Doctor Dong Fang, when are you planning to get married?"

When she heard about the girl Doctor Dong Fang has feelings for, she purposely came today to have a look at the girl, Miss Ruan.  She wanted to see for herself whether the girl is really worthy of Doctor Dong Fang whom they greatly admire.

When he heard, he could not help but show a wry smile.  How many patients had asked him this question today?  If this continues, he is afraid someone would feel unhappy. 

"Auntie Li, you are mistaken……"

"Doctor Dong Fang, you don’t have to be embarrassed.  When you returned from Luo Yun Mountains, you were carrying Miss Ruan all the way back and also these few days, both of you have been inseparable.  Everyone is very clear about this."

Auntie Li interrupted him and thought it was because he was too embarrassed to admit.  According to her observations, this girl, Miss Ruan and Doctor Dong Fang are really a good match.

The conversation between the two people was loud enough to be heard by Ruan Xiang Yin but she still remained silent and let Dong Fang Tang handle it alone.  Who told him to say he was not worried about other people misunderstanding him.  In this case, of course, she would let him handle this matter by himself.

"Sister Xiang Yin, you’re holding your book upside down."

Zhang Sheng had a mischievous smile on his face.  Just now, he noticed Sister Xiang Yin had buried her face in her book but did not turn the pages and when he approached her, he realized she was holding the book upside down.

She felt very embarrassed and her face turned red.  Then she cleared her throat and said defensively. 

"I was thinking of something else, I didn’t notice."

"Sister Xiang Yin, are you peeking at Third Brother?"

Zhang Sheng smiling brightly and asked bluntly.  He had long noticed Sister Xiang Yin was paying attention to every move Third Brother made but she pretended to be indifferent.

"Don’t talk nonsense!  Why don’t you go and help to pour tea for your Third Brother?"

She felt so embarrassed that she desperately sent him away.  She did not expect this little boy to be so smart and caused her to be lost for words.

"Ah, so Sister Xiang Yin had noticed that Third Brother's teacup is empty!  I'll quickly go and pour some tea for Third Brother!"

Zhang Sheng's casually spoken words made Ruan Xiang Yin even more embarrassed and she did not know what else to say and could only bury her shameful little face in the book.

Suddenly, several guards headed by Chief Guard Qin came in hurriedly with an anxious look on his face and he stood in front of Dong Fang Tang. 

"Doctor Dong Fang, please follow me quickly to Yamen*!"

(Yamen is the ancient term for the police station cum the magistrate court in a district.)

"Chief Guard Qin, what happened?"

When Dong Fang Tang saw the distress on the Chief’s face, he quickly stood up and asked with concern.

"It is Magistrate Liu's daughter!  She is having a relapse of her old illness!  Doctor Dong Fang, please come with me at once!"  Chief Guard Qin said urgently. 

After listening to the Chief, Dong Fang Tang became apprehensive.  Just as he wanted to follow Chief Guard Qin, his eyes fell on the many sick people waiting in line to see him and his footsteps faltered. 

"Go ahead, I'll take over the rest of the patients."

She put down the book in her hands and her clear bright eyes met his bright sparkling black eyes. 

"Xiang Yin, then I've to trouble you."

The smile on Dong Fang Tang's face was like the spring breeze.  He was pleasantly surprised she took the initiative to help which was unexpected. 

As soon as he left, Ruan Xiang Yin tried to stand up from her chair……..

"Miss Ruan, let me help you!"

Auntie Li eagerly stepped forward and offered to help her sit down on Dong Fang Tang's chair and her round face was full of smiles.

Ruan Xiang Yin whispered her gratitude and began to take over the work of Dong Fang Tang to see the patients.

 

***#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#***

 

"Miss Liu's pulse is unstable and you suffer from breathlessness.  Your cough is shallow, snot is clear and there is no trace of sweat.  You have a thin layer of white on your tongue.  All these are symptoms that indicate your asthma has worsened.  I will prescribe some medicine to get rid the coldness in your lungs first.  After drinking the medicine, your condition will improve.  Tomorrow, I'll come back again."

 After Dong Fang Tang had taken her pulse, he walked over to the table where brushes and paper were already prepared and wrote out a prescription based on 'Xiao Qing Long Tang'*.

(Xiao Qing Long Tang is the name of a Chinese prescription for detoxification and has a cold-dispelling effect.  It is used mainly to treat chronic lung problems.)

Magistrate Liu was very grateful to Dong Fang Tang for coming personally to Yamen to treat his daughter and repeatedly thanked him. 

"Doctor Dong Fang, thank you for coming to treat my daughter in person."

"Magistrate Liu, don’t be courteous."

Dong Fang Tang smiled and replied.  He handed over the prescription to Chief Guard Qin and told him to prepare the medicine quickly.

The weak Liu Cai Lian who was lying on the couch with a pale face said.

"Doctor Dong Fang, I'm sorry.  I've to trouble you to look after Cai Lian's illness."

Last year, Dong Fang Tang had treated her illness and after she drank the medicine he prescribed, she recovered very quickly.  Later, she continued with the medicine according to the prescription he left behind to maintain her health and she did not suffer from a relapse again.  Ever since then, she had always been grateful to Dong Fang Tang.  However, this time, she was a little careless and her illness had relapsed. 

Dong Fang Tang's gentle face broke into a light laugh and he said with concern.

"Miss Liu is very courteous.  The weather had gradually turned colder and you should pay more attention to your health."

This girl was born with poor health.  Even being slightly inattentive in taking care of her health would result in her having to stay in bed for months and she could not afford to be careless.

"Doctor Dong Fang, if you are willing, please let's go to the side hall and have a cup of tea."

Magistrate Liu invited sincerely and had just ordered for tea to be prepared.  He must treat Dong Fang Tang with cordial hospitality.

"The good intentions of Magistrate Liu is greatly appreciated in my heart. There are still many patients waiting in line for my return to Long Feng Restaurant.  Thank you."  Dong Fang Tang cupped his hands together and declined the good intentions of Magistrate Liu.  He stood up and insisted on leaving.

"In that case, this Magistrate will not hinder you."  Magistrate Liu knew there was nothing he could do but to let him have the medical fees that were already prepared and reluctantly ordered his men to send him back.

"This Dong Fang Tang is really a person who is charitable in thought and deed, someone who is modest and polite.  It is no wonder that the people in the world love him and even the Emperor respects him.  He is really a rare talent."

Magistrate Liu watched his retreating back with a tinge of regret in his heart.  If he had not known about Dong Fang Tang's refusal to the marriage proposal made by the Emperor for him to marry the Princess, he would like very much to matchmake his own daughter with Dong Fang Tang.  He understood his daughter's poor health and knew that she was also unable to match up to Dong Fang Tang, otherwise, Dong Fang Tang would have been his first choice as a husband for his daughter. 

"What Father said is true.  Doctor Dong Fang is indeed a rare good man."  Liu Cai Lian's eyes revealed her adoration for him while her small hand stroked her chest and said in agreement.

"Cai Lian, you must good take care of your health.  If you want to do anything, Father will support you."

As a father, he understood what his daughter was thinking.  Even if he knew it was impossible but why not try at least once?  It was better than to give up before even trying.

"Thank you, Father."

Last year, she was deeply regretful that Dong Fang Tang left while she was ill,

This year, she would not let this opportunity pass again.

 

***#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#***

 

On the second floor of Long Feng Restaurant, in a relatively secluded corner near a window, Shopkeeper Wang Qin was busy personally serving a table, moving back and forth which attracted sidelong glances.

"Miss Ruan, this Furong drunken chicken, braised pig trotters, sweet and sour fish, stir-fried beef with scallions and crab meatballs, are all signature dishes in our Long Feng Restaurant.  Please enjoy your meal slowly."

Wang Qin's attitude was very respectful.  After introducing all the dishes one by one, he withdrew.

"Wa!  Sister Xiang Yin, today if it is not for you, we would not be able to eat all these delicious food!"  Zhang Sheng could not wait to stuff another piece of braised pork trotters into his mouth while talking in a string of unclear words with his mouth full.

"It's true!  Sister Xiang Yin, you should quickly eat too!"  Zhang Zhen said happily.

Although Big Brother Wang was good to them, it was not easy for them to eat food as delicious as the food on the table.  It seems Big Brother Wang is treating Sister Xiang Yin better and better!

"If you like the food, you can eat more."

Ruan Xiang Yin smiled lightly with one hand propping up her forehead.  She looked at the two people eating with relish and satisfaction on their faces but she did not make any move to lift her chopsticks.

Watching the happiness on the faces of the two brothers and looking at the table full of delicious food, however, she had lost her appetite and was completely uninterested.  She had stayed in the mountains for a long time and was used to eating light dishes.  It was afraid she would disappoint Wang Qin and waste his good intentions.

"Sister Xiang Yin, why are you not eating?"  Zhang Zhen could not help but ask. 

Zhang Zhen who had lowered his head to concentrate on eating his food only now realize that Ruan Xiang Yin, who was sitting opposite him, had not picked up her chopsticks to eat. 

Before Ruan Xiang Yin could reply, a gentle voice sounded behind her.

"It seems the dishes are not to your liking."

"Third Brother!"  The two brothers spoke in unison and shouted happily.

Dong Fang Tang looked at the two brothers with a smile and sat down beside Ruan Xiang Yin.  Then he said to Zhang Zhen.  "Zhang Zhen, make a trip to the kitchen to order a few light tasty dishes and serve them up."

"Alright!"

Zhang Zhen's eyes shifted between the two people and with a strange smile on his face, he quickly went downstairs.

"What kind of illness does the Magistrate's daughter have?"

Ruan Xiang Yin curiously asked the man sitting beside her.  He had gone for quite some time which gave her ample time to see all the patients.  Although she had also faced the patients' inquiries, no one dared to ask anymore as long as she showed them her cold expression.  This way of solving the problem was a lot easier for her than for the good-tempered man beside her.

"It is asthma, a relapse of an old illness.  Tomorrow, I will have to go again."

Then he lifted up the pair of chopsticks that was left at the side which she had not touched and picked up a piece of sweet and sour fish to put into his mouth.  This time, he found he was feeling a bit hungry.

On seeing this, Ruan Xiang Yin casually placed her bowl that was brimming with rice in front of him.  The natural interaction between them made Zhang Sheng, who was eating half-way, stared straight at them.

"Coming up!  Coming up!  Sister Xiang Yin's light tasty dishes and also Third Brother's chopsticks and a bowl of…………"

While holding the tray, Zhang Zhen put down the few dishes on the table with quick hand movements.  eHHHe was about to pass the bowl and chopsticks to Dong Fang Tang when he saw Dong Fang Tang was already eating.  Caught by surprise, he stood rooted on the spot. 

"Give that to me."

Ruan Xiang Yin took the chopsticks and bowl from his hand which had frozen in mid-air.  Then she picked up some vegetables and began to eat.

It was until Zhang Sheng pulled the corner of his sleeves that Zhang Zhen recovered from his surprise and sat down.  The two brothers continued to eat while perking up their ears to listen to the two people's conversation.

"Xiang Yin, thank you for your help with the patients today."

In his heart, Dong Fang Tang felt very happy about this. Since she was willing to help out with the patients, did that mean she was gradually changing?

"It was nothing."  Compared to his joy, her response was very much colder. 

"First thing tomorrow morning, I'll be going to Yamen again.  If anybody comes to seek medical advice, can I trouble you once again?"  Dong Fang Tang observed the changes in her expression and asked in a probing manner.

Ruan Xiang Yin stopped eating and gazed at the man beside her.  She could clearly see the hope in his eyes and knew that this time, once she promised, it would mean she agreed to the proposal he made in the backyard.  Involuntarily, her heart struggled but the hope in his eyes was too great and she could not bear to disappoint him. 

"Alright."  She took a deep breath and looked directly into his eyes.  It seems she had decided on certain matters.

When he heard her answer, Dong Fang Tang was ecstatic. 

She promised!

The person who had insisted that she was not interested in practicing medicine for salvation, one who had always been cold and indifferent and one who only wanted to be left alone…..had actually agreed to his request!

"Do you understand the true meaning of my words?"

Was she really willing to join hands with him to practice medicine for salvation?  All along, he had the great ambition of practicing medicine for salvation and really had desired for someone to accompany him.  Then she appeared……..

Looking at the excitement in his black eyes, Ruan Xiang Yin's cheeks turned red involuntarily and her bright eyes squinted.

She did not expect her agreement to his proposal would make him so happy.  His undisguised happiness also filled her chest with joy.  Her pink lips lifted and she said shyly.  "I've already told you and if you continue to be stuffy, beware I may retract my words."

Dong Fang Tang gently looked at her and with his big hand grasping her soft hand, he whispered to her. 

"Xiang Yin, thank you."

She would never know how important her nod in agreement meant to him.  From the moment she had appeared in front of him, he knew she was the one he had been waiting for. 

"Let go of my hand!  Do you want to prevent me from eating?"

Ruan Xiang Yin's small face blushed.  She did not expect this man who was usually gentle and elegant would be so bold to hold her hand in public.  Even if he did not care about his own reputation but she still cared about her own.

Looking at her shy little face, Dong Fang Tang reluctantly released her hand.  He picked up a piece of fried bean curd and put it into her bowl.  He smiled and said gently. 

"Eat this."

The two brothers who were sitting opposite them blinked their eyes and were speechless as they looked back and forth between the two people. 

Is this their usually upright and honest Third Brother?  Right in front of them, he even dared to be disrespectful to Sister Xiang Yin!  Thinking deeper, when they saw Third Brother in the bedchamber of Sister Xiang Yin, they should already be aware of their Third Brother's intention.

But when they witnessed the scene with their own eyes, they were still greatly shocked!  It's no wonder, Big Brother Wang's attitude towards Sister Xiang Yin was becoming more and more respectful. 

Later, they must let Big Brother Wang and Sister Dong Mei know about this matter.

This meal ended as a big shock for the two brothers while Ruan Xiang Yin became very embarrassed and Dong Fang Tang had a continuous gentle smile on his face from beginning till the end.

3