Chapter 10 – Hold on
2.8k 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Xiang Yin, why don’t you take them with you?  Just treat it as taking Miss Liu up to the mountains for a walk."

When Dong Mei saw the appearance of the pair of Mistress and maid pleading Xiang Yin, her heart softened and felt that Xiang Yin was very hard-hearted.  She also helped to persuade Xiang Yin since Miss Liu was also the daughter of Magistrate Liu.  Even if she did not give face to Miss Liu, she should at least give face to Magistrate Liu.

"Dong Mei, even you also agree to this?"

Ruan Xiang Yin looked at Dong Mei with surprise.  Her elegant face showed her struggling for a while.  Her bright eyes swept across the three people and then she sighed helplessly.

"Alright then.  But let me tell you first.  If your body is unable to withstand the climb, both Mistress and maid will have to go downhill, do you understand?"

She is crazy to agree! 

She knew that letting these two weak women follow her up the mountain would bound to complicate matters and hinder her from gathering herbs. 

Ai….!

"Thank you, Miss Ruan!"

Both Mistress and maid were afraid she would take back her words and quickly thanked her.

Ruan Xiang Yin was compelled to sit in the carriage of the Mistress and maid to the foot of the mountain and then they started their climb.  She was already mentally prepared that the two people would be a hindrance but when she saw the mountain path had become muddy after the heavy rain last night, she frowned. 

After walking a short distance, Ruan Xiang Yin turned to look back and saw the two people climbing with difficulty and could not help but advised them.

"Miss Liu, because of last night's heavy rain, the mountain path had become muddy and is difficult to access.  You should return now."

"Miss Ruan, I can still go on."

As soon as Liu Cai Lian finished speaking, she immediately slipped and fortunately, Ping Er was able to support her.

"In that case, do as you wish."

Ruan Xiang Yin's delicate face became gloomy and she really did not understand why this weak girl still insisted on coming.  She would just simply let her be.

As soon as she turned around and walked away, Ping Er opened her mouth to persuade her Mistress.

"Young Miss, let's go back.  You should not force yourself."

Even she as a maid who was used to hard work was panting heavily due to the climb, not to mention her weak Mistress.  Her Mistress's face had become pale and it was not advisable for her to carry on and it was no wonder Miss Ruan was angry.  Both of them, Mistress and maid did not know their own capabilities and had also brought trouble upon Miss Ruan.

"This……"

Liu Cai Lian clutched her chest and gasped for air.  Breathing was almost impossible but her heart was not willing to accept.  This is the first time, she was able to go up the mountain and did not expect that after walking a short distance on the mountain path, her body was unable to withstand the stress.  She once again resented her weak body.  Her eyes were full of envy as she watched Ruan Xiang Yin walking slowly into the distance and noticed she had deliberately slowed down to accommodate them.

It looks like Dong Fang Tang and Ruan Xiang Yin are truly suitable for each other.  Her eyes darkened and she was about to tell Ruan Xiang Yin in the distance that she would be going back first when suddenly there was a rustling sound coming from the grass next to her.  Immediately a green snake slid out of the grass.  It lifted up its head with its forked tongue sticking out and stared at the two people.

"Ah!"

The two people screamed in panic.  Liu Cai Lian was startled and wobbled on her feet.  Unable to steady herself, she lost her footing and slipped downhill.

Ruan Xiang Yin who was walking in front heard the screams of the two people and immediately turned her head around, just in time to see Liu Cai Lian slipped down the slope.  Without waiting for Ping Er to call for help, she pulled her pretty face taut then two steps became a step and she flew to the front to grab desperately at Liu Cai Lian's hands that were waving in the air.  She did not expect Liu Cai Lian’s falling force to be so great and found herself being dragged along by Liu Cai Lian.  The two people rolled down the muddy slope non-stop until they reached the edge of the cliff.  Fortunately, she was able to cling to a rock at the edge of the cliff and while her whole body hung in mid-air, underneath her feet was a bottomless churning sea of foaming waves.

The dangerous situation between the two people made Ping Er so scared that her face turned white and her eyes were red.

"Young Miss!  Miss Ruan!  What should I do now?  I don’t have the strength to pull either of you up.  Help!  Is there anyone?!  Help!"

Ping Er panicked and was at a loss on what to do.  She could only shout for help. 

"Ping Er…….I can't hold on any longer……"

Liu Cai Lian's face was drained of blood and she could no longer support herself.  Her ten fingers that were clinging to the rocks at the edge of the earth were gradually losing strength.

"Young Miss, don’t scare me!  You have to hold on!  Help!  Can anyone help?!"

Ping Er was so scared that she started to cry.  She should not have allowed Young Miss to come here otherwise this accident would not have happened and this had also implicated Miss Ruan.  Although Miss Ruan's physical strength was better than Young Miss, she still would not be able to hold on as time passed.  To fall off like this, both of them would surely die and Ping Er could only shout with all her might to call for help.

"Miss Liu, don’t let go!"

Ruan Xiang Yin's situation was not any better than hers.  On the surface, she appeared strong and calm but in reality, she felt very anxious.

Earlier she should have remained firm and should not have allowed the pair of Mistress and maid to follow her here.

Last night it had rained heavily and the earth had become soft and loose.  So even the earth around the rock, she was clinging to with her ten fingers, seemed to be loose.  She looked at the person next to her whose face was white and obviously she was not able to support herself any longer.  Ruan Xiang Yin quickly extended her feet to the crook of Liu Cai Lian's knee to lessen the pull of her weight so that she need not use so much strength to support herself.  However, with this move, it was necessary for her to use more strength to hold up herself.  If no one comes forward to save them now, it seems that today, both of them will lose their lives in the sea.

While Ruan Xiang Yin was worried about their dangerous situation, Liu Cai Lian was about to faint and Ping Er was crying for help.  Finally, someone had heard her shouts and came rushing over. 

The man was actually Dong Fang Tang who left a month ago!

"What happened?!"

The instant Dong Fang Tang returned to Long Feng Restaurant, Dong Mei told him about the three of them going up the mountain.  Immediately, he had followed them but did not expect that when he had only come up for a short while, he would hear cries for help.  He rushed over and saw the person calling for help was, in fact, Ping Er.  Then when he saw the perilous situation of Ruan Xiang Yin and Liu Cai Lian, his face changed dramatically.

Ping Er did not expect the person to appear would be Dong Fang Tang.  She was surprised and cried pitifully.

"Doctor Dong Fang!  I beg you to save my Young Miss!  She can't hold on any longer!"

"Doctor Dong Fang!"

When Liu Cai Lian saw him, her eyes immediately brightened and she instantly awoke from her dizzy spell. 

"Xiang Yin!"

Dong Fang Tang looked worriedly at the person who was constantly in his mind during this whole period of time.  Her situation was not any better than Liu Cai Lian and she had also used her leg to support Liu Cai Lian.  The weak Liu Cai Lian's face had turned white and it was clear she could not hold on any longer.

Who should he save first?

If he follows his heart, he will save Xiang Yin first but if he really does that, then Liu Cai Lian will not get support from Xiang Yin and the next moment, she will definitely fall into the sea.

Dong Fang Tang's eyes looked at Ruan Xiang Yin as he struggled with his decision and she calmly looked back at him with her bright eyes.  He knew she was waiting for him to make a decision.

At the bottom of her heart, she understood why it was difficult for him to decide, so she did not speak and only looked quietly at him.

"Doctor Dong Fang!  Young Miss can't hold on any longer!"

At the side, Ping Er was quickly dying with anxiety.  She did not know why he was not in a hurry to save them and seeing her Mistress's eyes were already half-closed as if she was going to faint at any time, she could not help but screamed.

The next moment, Dong Fang Tang finally made a decision.  He stretched his arms and pulled Liu Cai Lian's hands while he kept his eyes on Ruang Xiang Yin.

"Xiang Yin, hold on!  You must wait for me!"

When she heard his words, her bright eyes darkened but in her heart, she had already guessed who he would save first.  However, to actually see him do it, a sour feeling rose up in her chest which was difficult to suppress.

After Dong Fang Tang had struggled to pull up Liu Cai Lian and was about to stretch out his arms to pull Ruan Xiang Yin …….at that moment, the earth around the rock that she was clinging to, suddenly gave way and she fell straight into the sea.

"Xiang Yin!"

Dong Fang Tang was unable to save her in time, his handsome face changed, his eyes mirrored his shock and a roar tore out from his throat.

"No! ! !  Xiang Yin! !........"

The pair of bright eyes that met his black grieving eyes, showed her deep resentment.

Dong Fang Tang was unable to bear seeing her fall into the sea in front of his eyes.  Just as he was about to jump in to save her, he was held back by Chief Guard Qin who had come up the mountain just in time.

"Doctor Dong Fang, calm down!"

Chief Guard Qin shouted into his ear.  If he had not arrived in time, he feared Dong Fang Tang would have really jumped into the sea.

He had never seen Dong Fang Tang in this emotional state before, this distraught and grieving man who disregarded his own life.  It seems this Ruan Xiang Yin was really very important to Dong Fang Tang.

Liu Cai Lian who was rescued did not expect something like this to happen and looking at the grieving Dong Fang Tang, she admonished herself and cried as she hugged Ping Er.

It was she……..the one who behaved willfully and caused the death of Miss Ruan.

 

***#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#***

 

One year later.   Nan Guo Town.

"Quick!  Quick!  Quick!  Divine Doctor Dong Fang Tang is in front of Tu Di Temple seeing patients.  Let's go over quickly!"

A group of people rushed to spread the news and some people hurried home to bring their young and elderly over.  They were afraid that if they were late, Dong Fang Tang would have left.

Under a large tree in front of the Tu Di Temple, was a table and several benches.  One of the men sitting there was dressed in a blue robe with a handsome face and a gentle smile.  He was focused on checking the pulses of the people.  This person who had traveled all over the country to practice medicine for salvation is the famous Divine Doctor Dong Fang Tang.

"This uncle, you have overworked for a long period of time which finally resulted in this chronic illness.  I'll write you a prescription and you shouldn't work so hard or else you will not get any better."

"Thank you, Doctor Dong Fang."

The middle-aged man with a pale face repeatedly bowed his head and thanked him before leaving. 

After seeing several patients in succession, one of the women could not help but point at an extremely eye-catching portrait hanging on the big tree behind him and asked Dong Fang Tang.

"Doctor Dong Fang, who is the girl in this picture?"

The girl in the picture is of medium appearance.  There seems to be an air of detached coldness and pride between her eyebrows as if keeping people at a distance.

Dong Fang Tang raised his head and his black eyes gazed gently at the person in the picture and in a warm voice said some words that shocked the people.

"She is my Furen*.  One year ago, because of an accident, it is still unconfirmed whether she is dead or alive.  But I believe she is still alive and no matter how long it takes, I must find her."

(Furen means wife or lady.  This word is used when addressing the wife of someone from a noble or wealthy family.)

When everyone heard, their faces showed their astonishment and everyone widened their eyes to study the person in the painting.

"Doctor Dong Fang, you can rest assured that if we see your Furen*, we will surely find a way to let you know."

"Yes, yes!  Doctor Dong Fang, you are such a good person, you will receive blessings.  Don’t worry.  Dong Fang Furen will be safe and sound."

Everyone started to talk and everyone enthusiastically expressed that they would definitely help him.

"Thank you, everyone.  Dong Fang Tang would like to express gratitude to everyone first."

Dong Fang Tang cupped his hands and thanked everyone present.  His eyes once again shifted to the person in the painting and deep sadness lingered in his eyes.

He really could not forget the pair of eyes that were full of resentment that looked back at him as she fell into the sea.  Whenever he thought of this, he would feel his heart breaking with pain.  She must hate him very much, so much that she refused to see him again.

After she fell into the sea, he had ordered people to search for her.  Later when all the people in Gangling City knew about her falling into the sea, they had also volunteered to help.  He waited for the result in anxiety and fear but no one was able to recover her dead body.  A few days later, he asked a man living on the opposite shore whether he had seen anything.

That man had said he was passing by in his boat at that time when he saw someone falling into the sea and he rowed forward to save the person.  But he was a bit slow and someone else who was quicker had saved the person.  Because he was quite far away, he could not see clearly the person's face but he was very certain that the person saved from the sea was a girl.

However, Dong Fang Tang did not receive any news of her again.

He had been to Le Mountain and Miao Jiang but there was no news. 

If she is really alive, the only explanation is that she is avoiding him and does not want to see him.

He still did not give up and in order to find her, he ordered people to draw her portraits and traveled all over the country.  No matter how long it takes him, he is determined to find her.

"Doctor Dong Fang…….is your Furen's surname…..Ruan?"

A young man brought his mother to seek medical advice and mingling in the crowd, he had heard Dong Fang Tang.  When he looked at the painting, he had a feeling he had seen the person before.  His eyesight had always been good and in addition, the painter had drawn the person's cold and prideful appearance so vividly that he was able to recognize her at a glance.

Hearing that, Dong Fang Tang was stunned.  He quickly stood up and with big steps walked up to the young man and in a slightly excited voice, he asked. 

"This little brother, where did you see her?"

"Doctor Dong Fang, I work as a waiter in an inn operated by my relatives in Panyang City.  Half a month ago, there was a girl who came to stay in the inn.  She wears a hat with a veil covering her face.  It is my duty to serve food to her bedchamber and once I saw her take off her hat and veil in the bedchamber.  I was curious, that's why she left an impression on me."

At that time, he still remembered when the girl realized he had seen her face, her icy cold eyes had made him shiver.  He did not expect that she was actually the wife of Doctor Dong Fang!  It was hard for him to imagine that the gentle and warm Doctor Dong Fang would love such a cold person.

She is really alive!

Dong Fang Tang could not hide his ecstasy.  For the past year, in his heart, he was convinced she was still alive, but now from the words of other people, it is confirmed that what he believed is true and it made him very excited.

The message he derived from the words of the young man confirmed his guess at the bottom of his heart ~~ She is hiding from him and is unwilling to see him again but he is determined to find her again!

"Doctor Dong Fang, don’t worry.  You will be able to find your Furen."

Each and every one of them said a word of concern to comfort him.  Doctor Dong Fang is not only charitable in thought and deed but also someone infatuated.  Everyone was absolutely willing to help him.

"Thank you, everyone."  Dong Fang Tang once again thanked everyone.

So, she is wearing a hat and veil, is she?

It looks like he has to inform everyone of this news.  Before this, he did not expect she would hide her face in order to avoid him and now that he has information on her whereabouts, he must find her.

(A hat and veil should look something like the picture below.  The veil is to keep a person's identity hidden and it can be pulled to the front to completely cover the top torso of a person. )

)

4