TFA1 2.12 – A Warning
110 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

TFA1 2.12 - A Warning

A plateau on the northern border of Tuscan Region.

01:15, 26 Mar 2025

'We're not going to hit the cliff.'

'We're not going to hit the cliff.'

'We're not going to hit the cliff.'

General Khartoum prayed silently, while his gaze fixed on the blurred cliff wall. At the same time, his back was drenched on cold sweats.

Previously, or not long after he finished his dinner, Lt. Colonel Slane informed him that early in the morning, an ambush attempt would be launched on Northern Coalition's cavalry elements, and Harley Quinn asked a representative from Tuscan Guard to join the fun.

Without hesitation General Khartoum volunteered himself. He was truly curious about TF Amethyst's offensive capacity and couldn't wait to see it. Especially after he heard that the ambush would be carried out using an aerial platform, called OH-58N Kiowa Warrior which had capability to fly at night.

When the appointed time arrived, Lt. Colonel Slane then escorted him to the rendezvous point, located 5 km to the east of Magwurt City. And General Khartoum dropped his jaw as soon as he met with OH-58N Kiowa Warrior. The aerial asset turned out to be had a shaped like dragonfly with a fast-spinning windmill above it, along with two small wings on each side.

'No beak to peck at, no claws to grab on, and the riders don't carry arrow or javelin. So, how do we carry out the ambush?'

Fortunately, during his interactions with people from Amethyst Merchant, General Khartoum often heard things that were too difficult for him to understand, but in the end he found out that it was not a nonsense. So he immediately ignored the common reasoning he was accustomed to and chose to just believe on Lt. Colonel Slane.

The problem was that as soon as OH-58N Kiowa Warrior took off, a sense of horror in an instant gripped General Khartoum’s heart.

Under total darkness of the night, Kiowa Warrior flew very low at a speed that made the ground below blurry. The night vision device called NVG did allow General Khartoum to see clearly in the dark, but it was only worsen the horror in his heart.

And it was not the worst part. General Khartoum almost jumped on his seat when suddenly Major Baxter released the stick that seemed to be the tool to control Kiowa Warrior. As he looked at Major Baxter who was busy matching the map on the screen with the one he was carrying, General Khartoum asked in a weak tone, “Ser Baxter, is it okay to not watch out for the flight path before us?”

“No worries, it’s absolutely fine.”

Major Baxter then turned his gaze towards General Khartoum, and in an instant he almost got a heart attack. Never did he imagine that a complexion of a living human could become as pale as a corpse.

Wasting no time, Major Baxter gave General Khartoum an explanation, "General Sir, Kiowa Warrior can fly as low as possible by following the contours of the ground. It is also equipped with a system that will guide it to the coordinates we entered."

“I see.”

General Khartoum fully understood Major Baxter's explanation, but he did not believe a word. The reason was simple, he was one hundred percent sure that Kiowa Warrior could not fly alone no matter what sensors or instruments it had. There must be a special trick that Major Baxter didn't explain.

'Major, if you wish to calm me down, please did it more seriously,' wailed General Khartoum silently. 

If it wasn't for the sake of maintaining his image as Tuscan Guard highest leader, General Khartoum would definitely said he had a pressing matter to attend, and asked for Kiowa Warrior to be flown back to Magwurt City. Unfortunately, he couldn’t do it and could only strengthen his resolve while silently praying for the safety of the flight. 

And so, time continued to flow before finally Major Baxter took over Kiowa Warrior’s control again. However, General Khartoum could only breathe a sigh of relief for a moment, because Kiowa Warrior then entered a narrow canyon and followed it without slowing down at all.

"Based on Reaper's intel, as soon as we exit this canyon our target will be visible at a distance of 4.5 km, and move closer from the front. Once they enter Kiowa Warrior's effective range, we will make contact without warning."

General Khartoum nodded slightly, even though he did not understand what kind of contact Major Baxter was referring to.  

"General Sir, by using thermal imaging on our main screen it will be easier to track the target."

"Understood."

General Khartoum nodded one more time, while Kiowa Warrior main screen displayed the glowing silhouettes of 60 horsemen approaching at full speed, without noticing a pair of Grim Reapers smoothly shifted into their route.

Major Baxter then contacted pilot of second Kiowa Warrior, "Hitman 2-2 to Hitman 4-4, come in."

[Hitman 4-4 to Hitman 2-2, copy.]

"Stand by, versus-contact in 3... 2…1… Light them up!"

R-rarararararrrrrr.  .  .  .  !!

A roaring sound could be heard along with fire arrows gushing from Kiowa Warrior's wings, and raining down on the horse riders who were advancing at full speed.

General Khartoum stared with wide eyes and a hanging mouth, as dozens of horsemen were torn apart and fell to the ground along with their horses.

"Hitman 4-4, clear the left side, I'll take the right side."

[Roger.]

While General Khartoum was still stunned, Major Baxter made a right turn and approached a glowing silhouette that was hobbling his way away.

After a short burst of fire arrows, the silhouette immediately collapsed to the ground, while the light it emitted rapidly dimmed.

A glowing silhouette that was helping his comrade to his feet also did not escape the short bursts of deadly fire arrows. A moment later, some silhouettes who were trying to use their comrade's body to hide also met with similar fate.

General Khartoum also saw the other Kiowa Warriors several times fired short bursts of fire arrows, not far from their positions.

[Hitman 2-2, left side is clean and tidy, over.]

"Understood, prepare for Romeo Tango Baker."

[Roger.]

Major Baxter then turned his head towards General Khartoum. "We have orders not to spare anyone."

"Thank you, being merciful towards enemies is tantamount to being cruel to your friend."

Major Baxter smiled before saying, "We didn't hear any news, meaning the ambush at the other seven locations went well."

"In that case, thanks to the gods."

General Khartoum breathed a sigh of relief and gratitude that Tuscan Region was allied with Amethyst Merchant, who had a weapon system like a meat grinder.

'We will win this war.'

Confidence shone on General Khartoum's eyes, as the pair of Kiowa Warrior darted under the night sky towards Magwurt City.

 ---

Main Meeting Room, Fort Cambia.

10:00, 27 Mar 2025

"What do you mean the traces of the raiders, and how the ambush took place is still unknown?"

Visount Grakh looked at his assistant with a frown. He did not understand how the cavalry elements which main weapon was speed and mobility could be wiped out to the last man.

Breaking the cavalry elements' mobility was possible by deploying sieges and blocking using large units, but it was still impossible to wipe them out without leaving a trace. Moreover, the targets for the ambush were in eight locations that were quite far apart.

"The trackers from headquarters said there were no human traces, Gray Wolf, or any other trace. Apart from hundreds of brass tubes as big as index fingers with burned marks inside, there was nothing else worthy of attention."

"Are you sure the trackers weren't drunk?"

The assistant steadily shook his head. "Our three best trackers have all said the same thing."

Baron Mhors who had been observing the recording crystal, containing the images of an arm that was about to break off, a head that was about to split open, and a body that was torn apart without any sign of using a sharp weapon, turned towards Viscount Grakh before speaking, "I've never seen a wound like this."

Baron Eslei then added, "Is this Amethyst Merchants' response to show off their offensive capacity?"

Viscount Grakh took a deep breath before saying, "I have received the third confirmation. Magwurt City still has no word on the bait we threw."

In an instant silence enveloped the meeting room, before finally a Captain walked in and handed a piece of paper to Viscount Grakh, who immediately read it.

"One hour ago, some fish that we let escape arrived in Magwurt City, not long after that Military Law was announced." 

Everyone in the meeting room immediately smiled, while Viscount Grakh continued.

"Now we know for sure it wasn't Amethyst Merchant. So we will continue the long march. It's just that we will change the route to avoid the spots where our cavalry elements are attacked."

Baron Mhors and Baron Eslei nodded in unison, while Viscount Grakh smiled broadly.

*****

2