TFA1 4.4 – Winds of Change
85 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

TFA1 4.4 - Winds of Change

Joker Trading Post, a few km south of Walluo City

08:15, 16 Jun 2025

In order to manage transactions with farmers from Kandez Region, Amethyst Merchant set up Joker Trading Post next to Jarac Family house.

The trading post was manned by a supervisor and three personnel who were all residents of Magwurt City, as Amethyst Merchant did not have enough manpower to carry out field administration tasks. Five member of Tuscan Guard were also stationed on the trading post to provide light escort.

In addition to the workspace, living quarter, radio communications, two units M1152 Personnel Carrier, and other equipment, Joker Trading Post was also equipped with a simple dormitory. After finalizing the contract with Old Jarac, Lt. Colonel Slane decided to stay at Joker Trading Post’s living quarter. He was worried that trouble maybe would appear, and his prediction was correct.

The five largest Farmer Families known as the Big Five refused the appointment of Jarac Family as sole representative. They demanded that it was their families who should be appointed as collective representatives. They also complained that the standard quality set by Amethyst Merchant were too strict.

When Lt. Colonel Slane took a 'Listen and Forget' attitude, the Big Five responded by refusing to sell the harvest from their farmland and ranch. Lt. Colonel Slane then sent an official statement.

"We don't insist on purchase."

When the quota that Amethyst Merchant requested was not met, Old Jarac suggested a renegotiation with the Big Five. He was even willing to give up his position as a representative, but Lt. Colonel Slane casually answered.

"No worries. Before we came here Amethyst Merchant can meet the food needs for Magwurt City. So, even if the quota we ask isn't met, everything will be fine."

Then, unexpectedly three days later the Big Five sold their commodities through smaller Farmer Families, before finally they made direct sales to Amethyst Merchant, but Lt. Colonel Slane strictly prohibits Joker Trading Post's personnel from celebrating it.

Even though things have calmed down and transactions with famer from Kandez Region were going well, Lt. Colonel Slane decided to stay a little longer because he wanted to talk with Old Dourk one more time.

When Old Dourk arrived in Joker Trading Post, Lt. Colonel Slane smiled from ear to ear. Honestly, if he had met a gentle-hearted person like Old Dourk a few years earlier, then he would undoubtedly ridicule that person as an idiot.

From an early age, Lt. Colonel Slane had never thought that this world was a welcoming place. Young Slane hold one believe that people with gentle heart were prey to be devoured.

However, after he succeeded in placing himself into top society, Lt. Colonel Slane began to doubt the compass he had been using. Then, slowly but surely the values ​​he used as a guide in life began to change.

'In the world of the blind, the one-eyed person is king. In a world full of injustice and suffering, people who choose to become human beings are angels to others,' Lt. Colonel Slane muttered as he walked over to Old Dourk and Sturk.

Old Dourk grabbed Lt. Colonel Slane's hand tightly as he said, "As I recall, you gave me a month to pay the bills."

"Did my courier mention something regarding the bill?"

Old Dourk shook his head, while Lt. Colonel Slane smiled as he turned his gaze towards Sturk.

"Looks like he feels at home while living in your place."

Old Dourk smiled broadly before answering, "Working in the kitchen isn't easy. So most of the kids I help last only a few days. But Sturk isn't complaining and he has the talent too."

“Really?” Lt. Colonel Slane curiously asked.

“Really.” Old Dourk looked at Sturk with pride before continuing, "My wife has been helping me for a decade, but she still can't judge whether the broth has excess or lacking in salt. As for Sturk, I need only once to show that from the shape of the drips he can judge whether the broth needs extra salt or water."

Still with an excited tone, Old Dourk added, "Sturk has also succeeded in understanding the structure behind the basic spices, and is starting to learn how to apply it to food ingredients. He also doesn't mind even though I only give him pocket money 5 coins/day."

Seeing Old Dourk so proud of Sturk, Lt. Colonel Slane smiled cheerfully. In truth, he intended to take Sturk to Magwurt City if the boy returned to the street. However, for now it seemed like he only needed to help the boy silently.

"Even though you don't intend to talk about the bill, I already brought the money and will also place a second order. So we'd better hurry because I can't leave the tavern for too long."

Lt. Colonel Slane nodded before inviting Old Dourk and Sturk into Joker Trading Post.

"Old Dourk, in the future you can place your order or payment here. I have given instructions to the supervisor at this post."

"Understood."

Old Dourk then took out several money bags, and Lt. Colonel Slane counted it before making a receipt for full payment.

"For the next order I need 150 barrels/week and it might increase. Meanwhile, Walluo Castle wants 300 barrels for the first order. Can you provide it?"

"In two days your order will arrive."

"So fast, are you sure you don't need more time?" Old Dourk doubtfully looked at Lt. Colonel Slane.

"Nope"

While receiving a receipt of payment and a copy of the order he submitted, Old Dourk said, "You have a neat way of trading."

Lt. Colonel Slane received Old Dourk's compliment with a smile before saying, "Now we can have the next subject."

Wasting no time, Lt. Colonel Slane took his guests to the dining room at the back of trading post, where on top of three long tables various commodities packed in glass bottles or jars, as well as cans with paintings of fish, shrimp, and other aquatic products were arranged neatly.

"These are product from Amethyst Merchant which related to tavern business. I would like to offer it to you."

“I see.”

As an experienced cook, Old Dourk immediately recognized the small jar of salt, sugar, pepper, and various herbs or spices, as well as various bottles of vegetable oil, sesame oil, sweet soy sauce, soy sauce, meat sauce, red wine, rice wine, fruit wine, and other commodities that must be available in kitchen.

The problem was that the prices listed on each of commodity were too cheap. For example, for salt, granulated sugar, and brown sugar, the price was only 1/10 of the market price, while each of these commodities had premium quality, not the mixed type as he usually used.

It took Old Dourk a few moments to calm the turmoil in his heart, before he turned his head towards Lt. Colonel Slane. "Are you sure there's nothing wrong with the price?"

Actually, the listed price was already covering shipping costs from earth and a net profit of 14%. However, as a genuine trader, Lt. Colonel Slane instinctively ensured his customers made the purchases with a happy heart, full of satisfaction, and without regrets.

"Amethyst Merchants pay their workers not only in coins, but also with their commodities. Of course, we use a heavily discounted price for them.” Still in a cheerful tone Lt. Colonel Slane continued, “And because you were Amur Beer's first agent, I decide to celebrate it by giving you similar treatment.”

In an instant a big question mark appeared on Old Dourk’s face, "Are you sure about that?"

“I’m.”

Old Dourk didn't know what to say as the shock he received was too great, so he chose to examine the glass bottles filled with perry, cider, jam, syrup, and various fruit pickles. And because the labels on all Amethyst Merchant products were written in Amstell Language, Old Dourk could easily understand every description.

Meanwhile, Lt. Colonel Slane opened three bottles of cider, and then cheerfully handed two of them to Old Dourk and Sturk. As soon as the two tasted it, they immediately stared at the cider in their hands with wide eyes and hanging mouths.

The cider for the commoner was usually made without sugar. As sugar was one of the rare and expensive commodities and could only be purchased with gold coins. Meanwhile, cider for the nobles was usually had an overwhelming sugar content. Considering that in Amstel Continent sugar was also a symbol of luxury

A concept that was highly detested by Old Dourk, as it would kill the creativity in the art for making drinks and deserts if apart from excessive sweetness, no other standard was used.

'This cider is very innovative, bold, and incredibly delicious. A sweet taste that is not overly sweet and very fresh because it still leaves room for a sour taste.'

With great admiration Old Dourk looked at the cider in his hand. Meanwhile, Lt. Colonel Slane turned his gaze towards Sturk, who had just finished his cider and was staring at the mandarin pickle on the table.

"Sturk, you can give it a try."

Sturk received a glass jar filled with mandarin pickles handed by Lt. Colonel Slane, but he only opened it after Old Dourk gave him a small nod. Together with Old Dourk, Sturk then tried the orange pickle, and once again they became dumbfounded.

'The taste and texture of the orange haven't changed at all, as if you were enjoying a fresh and perfectly ripe orange.'

Without delay Old Dourk ate another slice of orange pickle, and immediately sank into contemplation.

In Amstell Continent 4 out of 5 women could make cider, perry, syrup, or pickle fruit. Therefore, almost no one had interest in starting a business of making those products for commoner. And so, if someone was able to make those products at a lower price than the homemade version, with a better taste and adequate availability, then that person would make a huge profit because he had no competitors.

'Amethyst Merchant seems to have come while riding a strong wind of change.'

Old Dourk swallowed hard while Lt. Colonel Slane handed him a notepad and pencil.

"You can try all products on the table. In return, I hope you are willing to give it an assessment. For example, a comparison with homemade local products, suggestions for improvement, marketing prospects, or whatever is on your mind, and if you have anything you want to ask, don't hesitate to ask me."

"Understood."

Old Dourk nodded firmly before starting the tasting work with Sturk's help.

*****

2