Chapter 0001【CheckPoint#0】
162 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

〚-How did it feel when you first awakened?〛

〚-For me, well, at that time, I was desperate. I needed answers. And the answer manifested as an ability〛

----

Sip!

The chilly drink rose from the pipe to my mouth. With the drink came a savory carbonated feeling.

The news nowadays, predominantly, covered the Hunters.

Every time I think about the interviews, I wonder, "Is it worth it?"

Every day, when they leave their house. They enter a gamble. And what they are betting with is not money or fame, but their "Life."

The world continues to flourish due to the sacrifices made by people like them. And, as an ordinary guy who gets to live a simple and happy life, thanks to their efforts. I am grateful.

But every time I see them, whether on television or in live interviews, a thought always lingers in my mind. "Is it truly worth it?"

Every year on average, about 1012 hunters lose their life. This is high, considering there are barely 10,000 hunters in this world. So, at least one out of ten hunters would meet imminent death.

Well, not like I am in any place to think about those things. And I feel rather than questioning other people's life decisions, I should worry about my own.

Ring! Ring!

The alarm had been ringing for a while. But I continued to remain in bed and watch the news.

The day was breezy. Leaving the cozy bed was a dreadful task. Took a lot of willpower.

After, changing into simple clothes. A green hoodie and leather pants. I left for an appointment.

I lived in Arkpool City. One of the 'Safe Zones'

A peaceful place,

But….

"Wou..Would you like to go out with me?!"

An unfortunate situation appeared.

On my way, by the park. I met her—one of my colleagues from work.

Never did I think she would have feelings for me. I noticed her at work because of her pearly blue eyes, straight black hair, and curvy bosoms.

Ahem, I never stared.

I already wasted most of my money on the last two dates, and I am fairly middle-class.

She did not look like a girl who would simply leave after a one-night stand.

So, if I accepted, I would probably have to enter into a relationship. And that sounds too bothersome.

I rubbed the back of my neck and politely said, "Sorry, I don't think you're worth the time."

Wait...that sounded...

On the corner of her eye, I noticed a tear. "how...could you be so mean?"

"No..I did not mean— " Before I could say anything else, she turned behind and ran.

I have a terrible habit of being blunt about things.

My mind works in a weird way. Only after the incident is over, my mind thinks of better ways to deal with the incident.

I could have made a better excuse and said,

Sorry, I already have a girlfriend

or,

Sorry, I am too busy from work to get into a relationship right now,

But no...I had to say, "Sorry, I don't think you're worth the time."

Such incidents keep happening, but I seem never to improve.

And after such events, I feel terrible.

When I feel terrible about myself, I feel hungry.

So, I go by this restaurant a few blocks from my apartment.

But on the way…...

"Oh My God! Is that a meteoroid?!"

"It's a meteor!"

"Oh!"

"Mama! Mama! A fireball!"

"Such beautiful flames"

People cried in surprise as they saw a ball of fire descending. I watched the scene from a street lane. The meteor looked to be quite far. If it reached the ground, it would land somewhere near the other city. The buildings in the city were tall. So, I could not see much.

No one looked worried.

'Some Hunter should stop it before it reaches the ground' This was the thought on everyone's mind.

I felt the same.

I kept walking towards the restaurant in front.

My stomach kept growling.

Crackle!

The ground shook intensely. I fell on my buttocks

Ouch...what in the hell happened?

A possibility birthed in my mind. Did the meteor actually hit the ground?

But, I did not ponder over it, as I noticed the unusuality of my surrounding. After such shaking, there was bound to be a panic, especially in a crowded lane like this.

However, the people looked dead silent. No one moved an inch. I noticed a mother and her son in the lane. Then I noticed a small blue toy ball that fell from the child's hand stuck in the air. The vehicles, the people, the birds, everything looked frozen. Like time had stopped moving.

There was a girl besides me.

She looked frozen.

I poked her cheeks with my finger.

No reaction

I waved my hand in front of another guy in a suit.

No reaction

I checked with few more people, none of them showed any reaction.

….

So...if time is frozen..several darks thought came to my mind….but I shook my head.

In a bewildered state, I contemplated and organized my thoughts:

---

Scenario #1

Someone has the ability to freeze time. (Most likely) But then why was I not affected?

Scenario #2

A test. God froze the time so God could check whether I would act on the dark thoughts on my mind or not. And if I pass, I would obtain some kind of gift(Less Likely)

Scenario #3

My ability awakened. The ability to stop time. Something acted like a trigger. (Unlikely)

From the various interviews I watched. I learned, abilities awaken in desperate situations. And while walking, I was not desperate. But simply hungry. Also, while awakening, a surge of light emits from the awakened. I saw no light.

Scenario #4

The meteor had something to do with this(Highly likely)

----

So, what do I do now?

I pondered, standing on one side of the lane.

They say life is full of uncertainties. And in my life, this day, uncertainty became a reality.

In a blink of an eye, it happened.

Like a gush of wind had just passed through, I felt a breeze by my side—a breeze of condensed black fog.

In an instant, the breeze came, and in an instant, the breeze disappeared.

The street lights had disappeared.

The people standing in the middle of the street had disappeared.

A part of the street had disappeared.

The straight lane had turned half-cylindrical.

The giant buildings in front had a hole made onto them by the black fog.

My favorite restaurant had half of its structure missing.

I turned my head. The end of the path formed by that fog was just 3-4 meters beside me. Hence, I could see.

My heartbeat increased…...

An Attack. An attack by someone powerful. The image of the people who were in the middle of that street flashed in my mind. They had disappeared. Were they dead?

And if I. If I were just even a few centimeters closer towards the center, then I would be dead.

Death?

When was the last time I thought about death?

Many times did I hear. Today might be your last day. Live every day as your last. But I shrugged it off casually.

I mean, there...there always was tomorrow. The next day always came.

I took a few steps back.

What made me take few steps back was the sight I saw at the path's end.

A man with a hole on his chest. The lower half of his body missing.

My heart skipped another beat, as I recognized the man.

Purple hair, that face, and the mark of a dragon on his shredded costume. One of the National Hunters. I saw him many times on the television.

Was he defeated? Is he dead? But who could?

I thought, for him. There was no next day.

Before I could think of anything else, A portal appeared in front of the corpse. And from the portal, something came out.

My heartbeat increased

My breathing became heavier.

A Monster

A horrendous humanoid monster.

Every fiber of my being felt terror as I looked on to its black skin, enormous wings sprouting from its back and its face.

My thought process halted

I did not move. Not one inch.

There were still people besides me frozen. I could blend in.

Maybe it won't notice me?

Maybe this is a dream?

Maybe I won't die?

The next day...always arrives, right?

I thought of scenarios where I survived to give myself hope. Hope that fueled my willpower. The willpower that kept my body still. As I struggled with all my might not tremble.

But, when it turned its head. When it looked at me with that humanly yet monstrous face. When its glaring crimson eyes met mine. And when I heard its voice, when it said…..

"YOU. YOU CAN MOVE"

I felt life leaving my body.

I wanted to run.

I knew if it killed a National Level Hunter, I could not outrun it.

Still, I wanted to run.

I did not want to look at it.

But my legs did not move.

My eyes could not withdraw their gaze.

The monster turned its way and took a step

Then another. With every step, it got closer.

They say one's life flashes before his death.

Raised in a middle-class family. I had some childhood struggles. Still, my parents made sure I had a happy childhood. High school life got filled with breakups and studying. And after that, drinking, and woman and job cycles. If it's the end, I wanted to at least complain about something...but damn, nothing comes to mind.

But I wish...

I could not apologize to the girl I just rejected.

I could not dine at my favorite restaurant one more time.

Tell my parents I am grateful.

And tell my high school ex sorry.

The monster climbed the uphill path.

But a life! Great one I lived

As he raised his hands to strike me with his claws,

I realized….

I had many regrets

But I did not feel desperate...

I only thought…

If I had another chance...

..I could have done better...

《Requirements Fulfilled》

The demon's claws should have severed my head from my neck...

But…

Its arm got severed from its limb

Within my flesh, I felt warmth.

Yellow light seemed to surround my body.

Hope brew in my heart

But terror passed down my spine as the monster spoke again in his dreadful voice,

"No Ambitions!"

His veins bulged. The remaining arm clenched.

"No Determination!"

"No Desperation!"

"Yet Gifted!"

"People Like You, I despise the most!"

He seemed enraged. I was confused. Were those words meant for me?

The golden light covered my vision.

I felt the ground disappear. Then, I fell. From where and how I do not know.

My feet reached the ground. The golden light disappeared.

Huh

〚-How did it feel when you first awakened?〛

〚-For me, well, at that time, I was desperate. I needed answers. And the answer manifested as an ability〛

The bed, the tv, the war drove. This is my room!

I.I..was about to die..then the light...then... I...

What in the hell…...

《CheckPoint#0: MainPoint「PermanentSuccessfully Created

 

14