Chapter Sixteen – Back To My Roots
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiem never set up the voicemail on his cellphone. While Charlie would normally just message him, her hands shook far too much. Just tapping on his profile and hitting call was almost too much. She tried for a fifth time when the train exited one of the many mountain tunnels and she finally got some service. When it rang indefinitely, she scowled at the candid shot of him that served as his contact picture. It was so late, and he always seemed to be up, so why wasn't he answering now when she needed him most? Instead, she called Ignis, knowing the insomniac artist was the next best thing. He answered, voice full of worry.

"Hey. Everything alright?"

"Um…Ignis, no. It's not. Do you, uh…do you know where Reiem is?"

"He should be at his house. Like everyone usually is at two in the morning?" He paused a moment before asking, "What's going on?"

She bit her lip before answering, fighting back a fresh wave of tears. They hadn't stopped since she got the call around eleven.

"I've been trying to call him. I need to tell him something, and it's too important to text," she explained, raising her voice a little to be heard over the din of the train car. It only grew louder when it began to move down the mountain. “And I didn't have time to stop by on my way out.”

"Out? Did you…leave?"

"Yeah. I'm on the train." She looked around the cabin of the car. "I have to go to my stepmom. She’s sick. She had a stroke from overworking. I’m not sure how long I’ll be gone. A week, maybe two, or… I just don't know. Just…please tell Reiem as soon as you see him."

Ignis was silent on the other end, to the point Charlie thought he might've hung up or something. Then, he let out a breath. "Charlie, I…I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault, Ig. Mom's always been stubborn. Where do you think I get it from?" She forced a laugh.

"Yeah, no kidding." His voice was so low now, it was hard to hear over the noise around her. "He's gonna be worried. Hell, everyone will be. But I'll tell him."

Swallowing hard against the lump in her throat, Charlie thanked him and hung up. She tried to relax as she settled deeper into her seat and tried to not have a stroke of her own with the amount of worry that washed over her.

 

 

‡    †    ‡

 

 

The ride was just over two hours, directly northwest. The train car smelled like cologne, body odor, and all sorts of other things she didn’t want to think about, but thankfully with it being so late it was mostly quiet. The silence went well with her brooding look out the window. And the closer she got to her destination, the bigger the knot in her stomach grew.

At first, Charlie ignored her phone, choosing to try and keep herself calm. She'd already gotten a promise that Reiem would be informed, so she didn't need to focus on that anymore. But just fifteen minutes away from the small countryside station, she absently checked her phone for any messages. And boy, did she have them. There was a small barrage of texts from Griff, some from Ignis, and a slew of missed calls from Reiem. The voicemail he'd left had Charlie sinking further into herself.

 

 

Ignis: I couldn't reach him but I told Griff.

Ignis: We both went to his place. He was almost dead on his feet, like sick or something, but he's beyond worried.

Ignis: Where does your mom live? None of us know.

 

 

Griff: dude wtf! im so sorry about wats going on :(

Griff: we woulda gone with u

Griff: reirei doesnt look 2 good…

Griff: baby girl plz tell me ur okay…

 

 

Voicemail from…Reiem Mayerling: Charlotte, I am so sorry. I beg your forgiveness. Aiding Ruby in preparing your blade has all but drained me. Please. If there is anything I can be of service with, you need but ask.

 

 

It was selfish of her to just up and leave the second she got word of Maliu's condition, but she'd been the only thing that had kept her somewhat steady before her move to the Hollow. It only made sense she'd drop everything to go see her. Having the collective worry of the people that cared for her on display only compacted her guilt.

She wanted to message them back, to say that she would be okay. But it would just be a lie. Maliu wasn't her real mom, but she'd done more for her in the seven years they'd known each other than anyone else ever could have. She was her rock. And if she lost her…

No, idiot, don't think like that. She's gonna be fine. She'll bounce back.

She put her phone back into her bag, focusing on the passing scenery.

The train was now going through the small farming town Maliu had lived in prior to moving in with Charlie and her mom. Moschythe was smaller than Miner's Cove, but it did have some shops and a single local regency building. It was a border town, sitting on the western banks of the lake town that separated North and South Lindow. Charlie had visited the town many times with her stepmom and grew to love the place almost as much as she did her own orchards now.

The sun had just barely begun to peak up over the distant rolling mountains when the train pulled into the station. Early risers stared at Charlie as she passed them by, but she kept her eyes down to avoid conversation or eye contact as she cut through town. People talked in small towns. There was probably already a string of rumors about why a stranger was out that far. What other people said or assumed never bothered her much, and with all the years she'd spent in the city, she couldn’t care less about the people in this town. The only one whose opinion mattered was Mom’s.

Charlie sent a quick group message to the guys, telling them where she was and that she'd gotten there safely. She followed up by apologizing, saying she'd let them know if anything changed. Maliu would undoubtedly have had a lot to say if she'd shown up with three guys in tow. On top of the sudden health issue, Charlie was honestly glad she'd gone alone. She didn’t want to add any more stress on top of the stroke.

When she reached the wheat fields just beyond town, she got another call from Reiem. She stopped to answer it, leaning against the fence that ran alongside the dirt road leading to Maliu's home.

"Hey." A twist of pain curled in her chest, and her breaths came far too roughly. Reiem made a concerned noise on the other end.

"I can feel your distress, Charlotte. Even from here. You should not have gone alone."

"I know." A slight breeze picked up, sending ripples through the flat expanse of gold surrounding her. "I'm such an idiot for it. I was just so worried, and it was selfish of me to… I didn't even think of how everyone would feel."

"Don't speak like that. There is no shame in caring so greatly." His voice was gentle but quiet, and Charlie couldn't help but envision him giving her that look of compassion. "Promise me you'll call should you need anything?"

Her heart thumped against her ribcage, her thoughts racing. "I will. Thank you, Reiem. It means a lot."

"Think nothing of it."

 

 

‡    †    ‡

 

 

Maliu was lucid and seemed normal when Charlie arrived at her house. Delver, the doctor who had called her, told her that someone had taken her home—one of the women employed to help around the farm. He was there when she arrived, showing her what medicines Maliu needed and the recommended treatment practices before leaving.

She couldn't sign very well, and Charlie urged her not to, tending to her even though she hadn't slept at all in over a full day. It wasn't until Maliu was asleep that Charlie finally let herself lay down. She went to the old room that had been hers in their summers spent together there and curled up on the bed. She stared at her phone, surprised she hadn't gotten anymore messages. She'd expected something, but she already knew everyone was giving her space to compartmentalize.

Waking up early the next morning, Charlie began what would be her new routine for the next few weeks. Maliu couldn't leave the house yet but had enough mobility to do most things herself. To not make her feel bad, Charlie tried not to crowd her, but kept offering to do things for her.

Just after breakfast her second week there, Charlie was startled by a crashing sound in the living room. The plate she had been washing shattered on the floor as she raced to find Maliu collapsed by the coffee table. Eyes glossed over with wetness, she had more than a little difficulty helping get her stepmom into the armchair. She seemed fine and managed to sign out that she'd just lost her balance, but the confusion was evident in her eyes as she looked around like she didn’t know where she was. Maliu thanked Charlie and apologized in rapid succession, a dark tinge glossing over her tanned cheeks.

Another fall happened not even an hour later, and this time Maliu was only lucid enough to aid Charlie in getting her into bed. Staring down at the woman's sleeping form, Charlie brushed some stray dark hairs from Maliu's forehead.

"I thought I could do this," she whispered, letting the tears fall. "I'm terrified, Mom. What if I can't…"

She knew her stepmom couldn't hear her even if she was awake. She wanted to scream and cry and kick and shout, but it wouldn’t help any. It might make her feel better, sure, but it wasn't something she had any energy for.

More warmth flooded down her cheeks as she dug into her bag for her phone. Wiping at the fresh tears in her eyes before they could fall, she tapped on Reiem's contact info. He picked up on the second ring.

"I don't know what to do," she sobbed, no longer feeling the strength to put on a brave face. "Mom seemed to be getting better but now she… She fell in the living room, and again trying to go into the sunroom. I can't do this, Reiem. I shouldn't have run off on my own."

She rushed outside, hoping the fresh air would help quell the budding panic attack writhing in her chest. On the line, Reiem let out a breath. He seemed to struggle with his words, but Charlie went on without waiting for him to reply.

"Sorry I'm such a mess right now. I love her so much and I just don't—" Another sob heaved in her chest. "Can you," she started to say but a hiccup cut her words short. "Can you heal her?"

"I can most certainly try. I may be hours away by car, but I can still travel via portal should you allow it."

"Yes! Astrals, Reiem, please just—"

"Allow me gather some things," he interrupted. "It won't take long. A half hour at most, and I shall be there."

Looking up to the clear blue skies, Charlie forced herself to smile. "Thank you."

By the time Reiem arrived, Charlie had resigned herself to sitting at the kitchen table in silence, ears open for any sounds that might come from the bedroom by the foot of the stairs. Half an hour after he'd entered the room, Charlie left the house. It was impossible for her to even try and pretend that everything would be fine, not with the knots of grief in her stomach. She felt hopeless and restless and all the other -lesses that made it impossible for her to just sit around.

She wandered the property for a few minutes, eventually arriving at a massive, towering oak by a small, forgotten barn. It was mustier than she remembered, hay laying everywhere. But it smelled faintly of the horses she remembered were once kept inside.

Pushing the back door open so she could see the massive tree, its swing, and the lake in the distance, Charlie sat on the old bench and looked around. An old oil lamp hung on a hook by the empty stables, covered in cobwebs. The place had long been empty. She wondered how long it would take for the rest of the farm to look this way. Along one of the walls were smudges of paint. Flowers from Charlie, butterflies from Maliu.

She dropped her face into her hands.

Please… I can't lose her, too.

 

 

‡   †   ‡

 

 

The sound of footsteps crunching over the grass outside startled Charlie from her quiet sobs. She'd left the front barn door wide open, so she wasn’t surprised whoever this was had come to investigate. It was probably one of the farmhands. They'd come around a lot these two weeks, checking in and bringing food and whatever else Charlie might have needed. They'd be understanding when they realized she was just trying to collect herself…she hoped. Wiping at her wet face, Charlie blinked the oncoming tears away.

A low voice called to her, and Reiem leaned his head into the doorway cautiously. "Are you alright?"

Charlie took a deep breath, suddenly preparing herself for a different conversation entirely. It had been almost an hour since she'd sequestered herself in the barn, and Reiem coming out there wasn't something she'd expected.

"No, I'm not."

He stepped further in, adjusting the jacket of his suit. Taking a seat next to her on the bench, he let out a small sigh.

"When she awoke, your mother signed that you might have come here for some privacy. I grew worried when nearly an hour had passed."

Maliu was awake!

"Thank you so much…"

"You are welcome."

More tears threatened to cloud her eyes. She dropped her face into her hands to avoids letting Reiem see. Her voice was thick with a cry she tried to hold back. She felt a hand go to her back, rubbing gently. "You worry too much, you know."

"Perhaps."

She sat there for a while, trying and failing to stop her childish sobbing. It was almost humiliating. Every time she thought she was done and opened her mouth to try and make some pass at conversation, another wave of emotion hit her.

"She is a strong woman," her told her, voice solemn. "She loves with more than she is. Your mother told me she had lived through things most would consider mere nightmares. This was merely her body's way of telling her to rest."

Charlie sniffled, looking at him and wiping her eyes. "You're kinda bad at this comforting thing." His hand on her back paused. A quiet breath, a laugh, bubbled up from her at his incredulous look. She sniffled again, leaning into him. "I know you're not used to stuff like this. Sorry."

His hand left her back, grabbing warmly onto her shoulder. He hugged her to his side. "Don't be. I'm learning more through you every day."

It felt strange hearing him say that. He was supposed to be the advisor, not the other way around. Mulling his words over, she focused on the sounds around them, allowing her mind to empty.

A gentle breeze blew through the barn, rattling the lantern, moving the door, and shifting the swing on the oak. It brought with it the smells of the farm, and Charlie closed her eyes, inhaling it all—the memories, the sounds, the laughter, and love. And they stayed closed, the weight of her worry holding them, and the faint, almost inaudible beat of Reiem's heart against her ear lulling her. She opened them an unknown time later. They were still in the barn, but her shoulder was strangely cold.

Reiem was asleep. His face seemed almost peaceful, like all the worries from his eternity were gone. If only he could feel as at peace while he was awake… Whatever magic he'd worked had clearly taken its toll on him. As gently as she could, Charlie stood up and returned to the house. Reiem deserved to sleep just a little longer.

Opening the door, her face lit up at the sight of her stepmom busying herself in the kitchen with putting away the dishes Charlie had forgotten. She moved like nothing was wrong, like she hadn’t had a stroke at all, or even fallen twice just a short time ago. Charlie stood there in the doorway, chewing her lip to keep from crying all over again, even as Maliu turned with a slight start to see her staring. Her face softened into a smile.

Close the door, you'll let in a draft, she signed, a playful expression on her face.

She tried to get her fingers to work, but they wouldn't. Instead, Charlie crossed the room and hugged her stepmom tight. The door hung open, wholly ignored.

Before another round of sobs could overtake her, there was a knock on the open door. She heaved a happy sigh, turning to acknowledge Reiem. He appeared collected if somewhat tired, but she could tell there was some uncertainty on his face. As if he hadn't just spent the better part of two hours healing a complete stranger. Charlie was glad he was there. His features softened, eyes searching her face. Then, he looked to her left.

A hand touched Charlie's arm. Maliu gave her a once over, then turned to Reiem. You haven't aged a day, she signed. It's nice to see you again. Thank you for helping me.

Charlie flicked her eyes from her to Reiem, then back. He'd said Maliu told him a number of things, so it was clear he understood sign. What bothered her was just how far Maliu's range of knowledge was regarding him. She'd been to Miner's Cove plenty of times, but just how much did Abigail tell her? How much did she learn on her own?

The pleasure was all mine. Following this, Reiem placed his fist over his heart to bow. That…was unexpected. Maliu wasn't someone people bowed to, especially not like that. She faced Charlie again, this time with an amused look.

He still uses the Jaeger salute.

Charlie cocked her head. Still?

Looking briefly confused, the older woman shook her head and sighed. Making a concerned expression, she signed, I'm sorry, Charlie. I wish she would have let me talk to you about this.

How much do you know?

A lot.

Charlie hesitated a little. She looked to Reiem, taking in his complacent expression. "Does she really know what we do?"

"She does. When she awoke, she asked countless questions about the Hollow, if you're safe, how your magic is, and more." Giving a gentle smile, he fidgeted with the buttons his sleeves. He was anxious. "Please excuse me a moment, Miss Charlotte."

He got up and walked down the hall to the bathroom. Alone with her stepmom, Charlie reached out and took her hands into her own. Making sure she could read everything on her face, she smiled and mouthed, I'm so glad you're okay, Mom.

 

 

‡   †   ‡

 

 

Every hair back in place, Reiem stepped from the bathroom. The hallway walls held countless framed photos of varying sizes. Fidgeting with his cuffs, he passed his eyes over the pictures. They were mostly of Charlie, varying ages, and Maliu. Hardly did he spy any of the girl's mother or father, or even of Marianne. Perhaps it was for the best. Nothing good could come of seeing that woman right now.

Inhaling deeply, he sighed. He stopped at the end of the hall, eyes locked onto the silent conversation at the table. He knew it was rude to eavesdrop, yet something refused to release his gaze. Perhaps it was how Charlie spoke of him when she thought he couldn’t see or hear that put a flutter into his heart.

There he stood, half in shadow and half revealed for all to see, lips parted slightly.

So, you work closely with him? Maliu asked.

Yeah. Charlie smiled genuinely. It's been amazing so far. I'm learning so much.

Slowly, almost uncertain, the older woman signed, Do you trust him?

Cocking her head, a slight expression of confusion crossing her features, Charlie signed, Well, yeah, Mom. It's…a nice feeling. Having him around all the time.

How so?

I can't really explain it… If anything, he's like… Chewing her lip, Charlie looked away for a moment before raising her hands back up with a soft smile. He's like a father to me.

0