Chapter 23 – Philosophy
22 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elise had been found. That much was clear. She hesitated for a moment before sliding down the tree trunk and landing on the barren ground. The wild spell 'Featherfall' made such a feat quite easy. It allowed her to negate some of the damage such a leap would have brought her.

Fortunately, the tree had not been that high. Featherfall was a spell that had done her more harm than good so far. Its power was equal to the mana she consumed and it was quite difficult to estimate correctly how much mana she needed. Fortunately, she had managed to master it to some extent, at least as far as the usual falling distances were concerned.

"Elise," Gustav said, smiling, showing his rather sharp teeth, "I've been looking for you."

Elise looked at him, then at the Lycan, before nodding, "It seems you have found me. So, what do you want from me?"

"I have a favour to ask of you," Gustav said.

"I'm already quite busy finding a sacrifice for my node..." Elise said, frowning. "And last time I checked, it was my mother who worked for the Margrave, not me."

The man frowned. "You've killed how many monsters so far, ten, twenty?"

The Lycan pointed to the dead spider and said, "If you count that thing, sixteen. A feat I dared not to dream of when I was her age..."

She sighed and muttered, "Guess a Monia is a better fighter even without magic. Why didn't father teach me magic?"

Elise didn't know if that was true. Her mother was as bad with a sword as anyone could be. Elise knew she was an outliner and not necessarily the best way to measure strength.

Gustav nodded slowly before looking at the Lycan and saying, "I saw some silk on those two trees. The silk will fetch a good price."

He pointed to two trees ten metres away. Elise had ignored the silk because of the spider eggs that lay nearby. These things were gross. The Lycan, however, nodded eagerly before rushing towards them, eyes gleaming greedily.

"Well," Gustav began, "I assumed that you were busy with learning. You should know how important your upcoming exams are. I don't understand why you are wasting your time in a forest."

Elise shrugged, "Killing things is more fun than repeating what I already know. I don't think that anything school plans to teach will be new to me."

Gustav froze for a moment. Had he heard right? He was old, but his hearing should have been fine.

"Excuse me... but you are saying that you learned the arcane AND holy language. Being able to form basic sentences is the bare minimum to qualify as a mage," he began and looked at the girl. He quickly took note that she seemed to find him as interesting as a blank sheet of paper.

"Then you have read Althor's Noble Etiquette? You live in the Margrave's mansion, and as a budding mage you must behave properly. Have you also read the theories of the great philosopher Plapus?" he continued, the name of the said philosopher filling him with anger. His theories on life and magic were outdated, but a prerequisite to enter the imperial academy.

"And have you memorised the history of the Empire?" he finally asked, "These are the basics of basics!"

"Um," Elise began.

Was she about to admit that she hadn't been learning?

"I can use the arcane language to some extent. But it is really hard to pronounce. I still haven't figured out what my node does either. That's actually why I'm here in this dark and dangerous forest," she continued, "But somehow reading and speaking the holy language is pretty easy. I don't think I'm an expert, but I think I could read most scrolls and grimoires as long as they're not too advanced. Perhaps I could also ask for a divine favour if I prayed earnestly."

Gustav looked her in the eyes and couldn't tell if she was lying. She seemed quite confident or she was the best liar he had ever seen.

"And I have read the etiquette book. But I have to be honest and say that I didn't like the book. The fact that it pretty much told us between the lines that anything that wasn't human wasn't allowed to live," Elise said, sighing, "made us ... I mean me, pretty angry. But the rest of it was informative enough that I'll give the author my thanks before I rip his arms off."

She paused and said, slightly embarrassed, "Please ignore what I just said ... I'm a little nervous because this forest is so dangerous. Did you know that a drake has been sighted here?"

Gustav's brain was still unable to comprehend what the girl had just said. Yes, "Noble Etiquette" was brimming with the author's opinion of the Beastkin, Dragen, Monia, Dwarves, Elves and everything else that was not human. Still, the book was quite informative when it came to human society and how the mighty wanted to be treated and greeted.

He grinned. He also had vowed to give the author a good beating. Unfortunately, the author was no longer alive. It was rather good for the author, because it seemed Gustav had found an ally.

"I also read Plapus's theories," Elise continued, "but his style was hard to follow with all the long-winded sentences and mystical words that had almost no meaning. I read Awor's theories instead. They were easier to understand and seemed much more modern."

Gustav nodded. That was indeed the case. Plapus' theories were only so important and famous because of the nobles. They supported his theories, simply because Plapus had been a nobleman.

Awor, a commoner, and a fairly new philosopher, had often said that Plapus was not a philosopher and instead just a nobleman trying to sound smart. Many would have killed him for that, but he was liked by most commoners and his theory of life was supported by the "Circle of White". Awor had often said that Plapus wanted to give the impression of intellectual depth, complexity and importance, but that his writing was largely empty of content. This, Awor said, meant that there was minimal or no gain in knowledge. Instead Plapus' texts often led to mental and conceptual confusion.

"Unfortunately, I only read the history books until the date the emperor died," Elise finished, "my books were just too old, and I can only visit the school library once a week. I can't really read five hundred pages in one sitting. It takes me more than a couple of hours to do that."

"You," Gustav began, his brain finally catching up with the conversation, "have read Awor's theories?"

He was visibly pleased. He almost seemed to sparkle, at least his smile did. Elise saw a small hint of white fire leave his mouth before it disappeared harmlessly. She had never seen a Dragen do that before.

"Aren't you about ... seven, no, you recently turned eight years old?" Gustav continued, frowning. Most children her age were in their second year of school. Rarily they had read the first of the eight volumes of the History of the Empire.

Anyone who had read the books he mentioned could probably claim to be quite a young scholar ... or in Elise's case, perhaps the youngest scholar. It seemed Lucius had not been lying when he had claimed that his mother enjoyed teaching others. He really needed to meet this woman, perhaps during one of the few events the Lord organized. But she was the Red Lion's wife, a simple misunderstanding could end in an unfortunate argument with her husband.

"You've really read all the books? What's your favourite paragraph in Awor's first book....?" He was rather embarrassed, but he had forgotten the name of the book.

"Rumours of Life?" Elise added helpfully, "Yes. My favourite paragraph? Mhmm, that's hard to answer. Maybe 'We're all in the gutter, but some of us are chasing the stars. Don’t let the fools stop you that say that your efforts will be fruitless. You can always say that you tried. Goddamnit, at least you did that. They for sure did not. Maybe you even succeeded or maybe your success was the journey you had. Who the hell knows? I certainly don't.'"

"Why?" she said and shrugged, "Simple answer. It sounds motivating and inspiring."

Gustav nodded. He exclaimed, "You really read it! Awor is one of the most underrated philosophers of our time. Not many know his theories. Be proud. You're pretty smart for a kid your age."

"He's a genius," Gustav mused, "and unfortunately one of many who will go unheard until the end of this century. Humans and their outdated traditions mean that nothing will change unless there is some kind of social change."

He looked at the girl and thought, "Awor is probably one of the most hated philosophers in the academy. I must make sure that she does not reveal that she has read his works. Otherwise she might ... experience a few troublesome events."

"He's my favourite philosopher," Elise said, "but I haven't managed to get my hands on his other works."

"What a coincidence," Gustav exclaimed, smiling, "mine too. But ... let's keep this to ourselves, shall we? It's a pity you haven't read the rest of his works. I could lend you some of the books I have, if you like?"

Before Elise could answer, they were both interrupted by the Lycan.

"I don't want to interrupt your wonderful tea party, but we're in a forest full of monsters," the Lycan said, slightly annoyed, "I don't want to find myself in a monster's stomach because a Dragen and a Monia started talking about books."

However, her mood quickly improved. She proudly lifted two brown bags filled to the brim into the air and said, "And I got what I wanted. With that I can buy a better weapon. Perhaps a rifle? But a new bow would also be nice. Maybe even an enchanted one? Or ..."

The Lycan paused. She looked a little embarrassed and muttered, "I asked you to stop, and now I'm the one wasting our time."

She paused before looking at Elise, "Didn't mean to sound rude. Sorry. I love Awor as much as the next one who isn't of noble blood. But we really must go. There's a fight in the distance and I really don't want to die because of it. The magic I smell is quite strong, probably as strong as my father's. And that ain't something I really want to get hit by. The magic would turn me, you, and maybe that old Dragen there to ash."

"Sure," said the Dragen, "it's a drake and I only have my magic with me. It's a monster I could kill if I were to be a bit more prepared."

The Lycan looked at him incredulously. She said, "Sure. But I'd rather not find out that the drake there is something you can't defeat right now. You also know that you can talk while we walk back? It's not like the entiretiy of the Academy is hiding in the tall grass and going to jump out to execute you because you happen to be talking about Awor."

"That is indeed true," Gustav murmured. He looked at Elise and said, "Well, you heard her. We have to go. I have promised the Margrave to protect those who live in his house. And you are among those I vowed to protect. But if the drake were to attack us I may be unable to do so."

"Sure," Elise replied, "I promised Heinz I wouldn't fight something I couldn't defeat."

"Wonderful, then, Elise, as a fellow Awor-fan, I have a request. Could you take these two bags and put them in your deep pocket?" the Lycan asked.

Elise looked at the Lycan. How was it possible that she knew about her deep pocket? It was hidden under her jacket. The old woman had told her to hide it from others because some might show envy and thus might even try to steal it.

"You don't have to look so worried, my old man promised to give me one," the Lycan said.

"How did you know that I have a deep pocket?" asked Elise.

"I can smell the magic?" asked Lycan, "That's something most people can do ... isn't it?"

Certainly not. Elise had never smelled magic before. She could feel it, somehow. Perhaps it was a trait that allowed the Lycan to smell it?

Elise looked at the Lycan's bright smile, she really didn't look like anyone evil. The young girl nodded and said, "Sure. Give them to me and then we'll go. I am really very hungry. Unfortunately I can't grill spiders. They probably don't taste that good either. Been told that I should eat tree roots or rats first before trying spiders."

The Lycan handed her the two bags and then rummaged through her pockets before handing her a silver piece, "Take this as a token of friendship too. My friends call me Kerry. My tribal name is too hard to pronounce."

Elise nodded, "Nice to meet you, Kerry. I'm Elise. You're a mercenary too?"

"Yes, father told me he wouldn't recognise me as a daughter until I killed my first drake," she said, "It'll take a while but I suppose he had something in mind when he told me to kill a drake..."

The Lycan smiled before looking at Gustav who seemed quite confused, "What, you still wonder why I know about Awor? Humans hate Awor like the plague, but most beastkin love his theories. Most of his theories are also supported by the shamans of our tribes. If he ever had to leave Euros, most of my kind would welcome him to Lafrik."

Gustav was not confused about this. No, he himself had friends in Lafrik. A lionmien, or as humans called them lion-men or lion-kin. He was confused about Kerry. She had spoken of a father, a father who had told his daughter to kill a drake. The Lycan who worked with him had spoken of a niece who would visit.

"Could it be her?" he thought, "No, that would just be weird. The world isn't that small."

He shook his head and started walking. There were important things he had to do. There was a man he had to force out of his room and a small child, maybe two if all went well, he had to tutor.

0