Chapter 5:
115 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You’re looking at him. I’m the boss of this place.”

She giggled, which seemed to make him mad. “What’re you laughing about, little girl?” He asked, agitated.

“So you got a promotion in the last 200 hundred years.” She replied, sarcastically, punching the demon in his 12 pack and making him hunch over. Then she grabbed his neck and pulled him down to eye level with her. “Let me rephrase. I’m here, for your boss.”

A black smoke began to spread from the Princess’ iris to the white of her eyes. “Don’t tell me you forgot about me after a measly two centuries.”

She could see the fear growing in his eyes as he saw the darkness in her’s. “Princess Despera…” He managed to say despite his wind pipe being crushed.

[Despair Stare], Despera’s signature ability. It made her eyes pitch-black, and anyone who made eye contact with her, was flooded with large amounts of negative emotions, mainly fear. “Are you gonna tell me what I want to know?” She asked. “After all, if you remember me, I’m sure you remember what I’m capable of.”

He nodded in response, and she let go of his throat.

Immediately, he fell backward on the floor and started whimpering. The people around them were a mix, with some laughing at him, but the majority was slowly backing away from the Princess.

That was when Veroth got back with his spear’s edge covered in blood. “Ms. Despera, I managed to get rid of the music, but then some guys came after me so I took care of them.” He stated, clearly proud of himself.

“Good job.”

Veroth noticed the giant demon was now rocking in the foetal position. “What happened to him?” He asked, no longer scared of the ‘mountain’ of a man.

Despera looked to the demon and back to her bodyguard. “He was in my way.” She walked to the demon and got on one knee so they were eye level again. “So, Ralgameth, are you gonna tell me where your boss is? Or should we look into each other’s eyes a bit longer.”

He jumped against the wall, terrified to make eye contact with her. “Please, no! The boss is on the top floor!”

“Take me to him.” She ordered.

Ralgameth nodded and led her to the stairs. Veroth followed close behind her, spear at the ready. Almost as soon as they left, the music started up again.

While going up the stairs, they passed several floors, the first three of which were dedicated to gambling. The 4th and 5th floors were bars filled with drunk demons. Some were having bar brawls, and one demon was thrown through a window.

The 6th floor was the top floor. When they got there, it was an empty room with just a desk and a chair behind it and in front of it. “Where is he?” Despera asked, annoyed and glaring at Ralgameth. Veroth directed his spear at him, being cautious.

Ralgameth turned to the girl with his fearful expression and put his hands in the air. “He’s here. Just-Just wait a minute.” He stammered.

She found it amusing to see a man of his size so nervous. She grunted. “Fine.”

Moments later, there was an explosion above them followed by a demon falling through the roof, and landing on the chair at the desk. His body was smoking, and parts of him were still on fire, but it didn’t seem to bother him.

The man had jet-black hair and a bloodshot eye with one eye red while the other was black. There was a scar down the middle of his face, from his forehead to his chin. He had parts of a shirt still on him, but the rest appeared to have burned off. Scars and stitches were visible across his body. He was about as built as Veroth, but the aura around him made it clear he was far more dangerous.

And the most unnerving thing about him was the toothy smile that spread from ear-to-ear. He always had it, like his cheeks were stapled.

The Princess pulled off her hood and unzipped her jacket, revealing the black raven pin on her shirt. “Hello, Insanity. It’s been a while.”

Somehow, his grin grew wider and he threw his desk into the wall. He ran to her with his arms outstretched for a hug. “It has been a while! It’s great to see you again!” He yelled, holding her off the ground in his embrace.

He held her for longer than she would’ve liked, but she let it slide. It had been centuries after all.

Once he put the girl down, he waved his hand and Ralgameth left, almost in a hurry. “So what happened in the attic?” She asked, curious.

“What attic?” Insanity asked, a blank look on his face. "There are a lot, you know."

“The one you fell through.” She said, pointing at the hole in the roof.

Insanity looked behind him and saw it. “Oh yes! That attic.” He responded, having remembered. “I blew myself up!”

A long pause followed his reply as she waited for him to elaborate. He didn’t. “Yeah, but how? And why?”

“I think I was making a potion. I’ve made it multiple times, but it blew up every time. Who could’ve thought it would happen again?”

“Everyone.” Despera answered. “Everyone could, and likely would think that.”

Insanity stared back with an unchanging expression. It wasn’t clear if he understood or not, or if he was even paying attention.

This wasn’t going anywhere, so she decided to change the subject. “Listen, Insanity. I need your help.”

“Of course. Let’s take a seat.” He turned around and walked to his desk against the wall.

She sat down in front of where the desk used to be. Meanwhile, Insanity was sitting mid-air on the wall at his desk on the wall.

Veroth whispered to me. “I don’t mean to question you, Ms. Despera, but are you sure this is a good idea?”

“Where’d he come from?” Insanity asked, only noticing Veroth now.

“This is Veroth. He’s been here the whole time.”

“Sorry, I didn’t notice you.” He said. “Now what can I help you with, Princess?”

Despera walked onto the wall and sat in the air opposite Insanity at the desk. “I need your resources.” She told him.

“Interesting. Which one?”

“All of them.”

He was surprised. “Must be important. What do you need them for?”

“I assume you’ve heard about the human.”

“What human?” He asked.

“The one in Hell.”

“Aren’t there a lot of humans in Hell?”

Despera rubbed her temples. Insanity was powerful in many ways, but he was always so difficult to talk to. “Those are the damned. I’m talking about a living human roaming the underworld.” She explained.

“I see. That’s very interesting.” He jumped off the wall and the Princess followed. He then picked up his desk and set it down in front of him. They sat on the actual chairs and he said, “Give me a sec. I think I know a potion that could help.”

“Wait!” Before she could stop him, he jumped through the hole he fell through.

She sighed and rubbed her temples again. This is going to take a while.

 

After another explosion, and a lot more talking, Insanity still didn’t quite understand what Despera was asking, so she had to ask for Genius.

“Genius? Fine.” Insanity closed his eyes and the energy of the room changed. When his eyes reopened, their colours had swapped so the left was black and the right was red. Also, his smile was gone, replaced by a more serious expression.

He bowed and greeted us. “Salutations, Your Highness.” This was Genius, Insanity’s other half. He never came out that often, preferring seclusion in his own mind.

“Hi, Genius. It’s good to see you.”

“Likewise.” He replied. “Would I be correct in assuming you require our assistance to capture the human before anyone else?”

She nodded, and answered, “That’s correct.”

Before she finished her answer, Genius was already working on it, using his telepathic abilities to find out what she knew about the human. He wasn’t one for wasting time with idle conversation. “I see. I will alert everyone to keep watch for a being who matches this description, and to check their pulse. Is that sufficient?”

“That would be of great help.”

“It’s done. If that is all, I will let you know when we find her.”

She pretended to think about it, then replied. “No, that’s all. Your assistance is much appreciated.” She re-zipped her jacket and flipped the hood back up.

Just as Despera was about to exit, Genius stopped her. “Wait.”

She turned around. Curious, she asked, “What is it?”

“I have one more word of advice.” He began. After a long pause, during which he pulled out his chair and sat down at the desk, he continued, “Try not to keep your enemies so close.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” She responded, unsure of his meaning. Veroth opened the door for them and made sure to watch Genius until the door was closed.

As they lowered down the stairs, Veroth asked, “What should we do while we wait?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Despera rhetorically asked. “We don’t wait. We’re going on a hunt.”

 

0