Chapter 9:
78 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The nightmare ended there, and though Despera was still afraid, and angry, she was far more relieved. Relieved that it was over, and relieved she wasn’t thinking of Astaroth any more.

She sat up on her bed, still a little lightheaded. Unsure of how much time passed, she decided that she should check on Umbra and Veroth’s progress.

Then, as if on cue, she heard Genius’s voice in her head. I’ve received word from several of my sources that she’s in Zelgan in Buer's territory. She heard him say.

She shot up in her bed and replied quickly. What are the chances they’re lying?

Not likely. I am very persuasive. He answered with complete confidence.

Right. Duh. She thought to herself, then to him, I’ll head there immediately. Any advice?

Genius paused. Unfortunately no. All I can suggest, is that you keep your eyes open.

Got it. Thanks. Then Genius left her mind.

Despera got off her bed and thought to Umbra, Umbra, can you hear me?

Yes, Despera. I hear you. Her familiar answered.

Genius found her. Where are you?

Me and Veroth are currently still searching the housing district in Pride.

Head to Zelgan to continue your search, but do not engage her until I get there. She ordered him as she walked back to the window. Got that?

Of course, but how will you get there? If I may ask.

Despera flicked her hood back over her head and pulled the window open again. I’ll be taking the skies. Her feet slowly floated off the floor. She was a bit wobbly at first, but managed to steady herself quickly enough.

What do you mean? Umbra asked, confused.

Instead of answering, Despera cut off the telepathic connection. She didn’t want Umbra to worry about her owing Avaritia a favour.

Once she was balanced, she pushed her legs out and propelled herself forward through her window and into the sky above her castle. She stopped and looked down at her castle. She had reached the height limit of her flight spell, yet it was still a good distance from the top of her Castle.

Not wanting to waste more time, she turned in the direction of Zelgan, then pulled her legs in and pushed them out to propel herself again.

After Despera cut off their connection, Umbra ignored his confusion and flapped his wings to fly down to Veroth. He grabbed him by the shoulders with his talons, and continued without slowing.

“What the fuck!?” The guard yelled in shock and pain.

“Genius found the human girl and Despera just gave us orders to continue our search in Zelgan.” Umbra answered as they flew, refusing to slow down.

“But that can’t be right. That’s over twenty thousand miles from where we saw her.” Veroth tried to point out until he was cut off.

“I know, but the Princess trusts Genius’s intel, so I do too. Besides, we weren’t sure, so maybe that wasn’t her.”

Umbra had a point, so Veroth decided to drop it. As Umbra’s talons were digging into his flesh while they were flying, Veroth asked, “Why can’t I ride on your back?”

“Only the Princess may ride my back.” He answered sternly.

Veroth sighed. “Fair enough.”

Despera was flying for about an hour at the fastest speed her limited spell would let her when she suddenly heard Umbra. Despera, I believe we found her.

Intrigued, the Princess thought back an order. Describe her.

Umbra took a moment to answer back. She’s wearing a cloak, and as I’m keeping my distance, I don’t have a good view. He explained.

Then describe her as best you can.

She looks to be about your height. She has blue hair, and greyish eyes. Umbra stated, pointing out each relevant feature as he noticed them. And she looks to be very confused as to where to go.

It wasn’t enough to convince Despera this was Tear, but it was enough to make her a really good suspect. Keep an eye on her. I should be there soon.

Yes, Despera. The raven responded before the connection was severed again.

It took another 20 minutes for her to reach Zelgan, a rather large town in President Buer’s territory. It looked similar to the housing districts in the Sins’ territories. There were several torn down buildings no one actually spent much time in, with most demons spending their time at the casinos or brothels.

Very soon after arriving, she found Umbra hovering high above the town. “Where’s the suspect?” She asked immediately, wanting to find the girl as soon as possible.

Without looking at her, Umbra nodded in the direction he was already staring in. “Over there, with Veroth following close behind.”

Despera followed Umbra’s gaze to find the girl who matched Umbra’s description. She looked scared and very lost, shifting back and forth as if trying to decide where to go. And the guard was standing around the corner behind her, giving her occasional glances, ready to attack and restrain her if given the order.

He watched Umbra, and now Despera, for any signals to move.

“I’ll go down and meet her first.” Despera told her familiar, still looking at Tear. “I doubt much time passed in the living world, so she should remember me.”

Umbra nodded. “Good idea.” He complimented before continuing, “You can make her feel calm, and then we’ll ambush her.” He said, coming to his own conclusion about Despera’s plan.

“No.” Despera responded, about to correct him. “I’m going to talk to her, and restrain her if necessary. You do not move without my say so.” She ordered him, in a tone that made him remember he was a subordinate. “Understood?”

The raven just nodded to answer. Then he flew down until he stood on the roof of a nearby building.

Despera floated down to where Veroth was standing and told him, “Stand down,” as she walked passed him.

Could she always fly? Veroth wondered.

She slowly approached the girl from behind, quickly pulling her into a nearby alley when she got close enough. The girl screamed in shock, but Despera wasn’t worried. Screaming was not only common, but it’d be weird if there wasn’t screaming.

She pinned the girl against the wall, and her eyes were closed. She looked so scared. Now that Despera got a closer look, she could tell that this was her friend from the living world, at least in appearance. “Tear?” She asked.

Suddenly, the girl’s trembling stopped. She opened her eyes cautiously to see who the familiar voice belonged to, revealing her silver mirror-like eyes. The person she saw was different in some ways, but she knew immediately who it was. “Felicity?” The human girl asked in response. “Felicity, is that you?”

Despera took a step back in surprise that Tear called her by her original name. No one in Hell could know that name. Even the Kings would have to go through a lot of trouble to find out her human name. This was definitely her friend, Tear.

Seeing her face, she started feeling tears of joy and relief, but tried her best to choke them back. “No one’s called me that in a very long time.” She responded, smiling.

2