Chapter 11:
69 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before making her final decision, there was one more demon Despera wanted to talk to. Her conversation with Genius got her thinking that she should talk to someone who’s great with logic, and morals. He was an Archdemon President who ruled over the territory where they found Tear. He was Buer, and he conveniently lived in Zelgan, the city they found her in, though she did find it bothersome to fly all the way back.

When she arrived, she descended to the front door of his manor. The large building stretched nearly half a kilometre and stood 3 stories high. Though technically speaking, Buer’s property also included the land around it, the size of 2 city blocks.

The two slabs of thick wood that stood in front of her, had knockers both in the shape of a lion with a ring in its mouth. There were stone gargoyles standing sentry on pillars on both sides of the entrance. Altogether, it looked extremely old and worn, but well maintained.

Despera grabbed one of the knockers and gave it three raps, sounding loud thuds through the wood. Immediately, the gargoyles’ heads twisted to see her, their eyes red.

Their mouths opened and spoke in rough, demanding voices. “Identify yourself, and what business you have here.” The gargoyles ordered.

“I am Despera, the Princess of Despond. I wish to speak with Buer.” She answered, coolly. “And I recommend you watch your tones.” She stared into the eyes of the gargoyle on her left, with her eyes black. In just a few moments, it exploded.

Gargoyles were a type of golem, which typically couldn’t feel emotion, but the Despair Stare still filled them with fear. But that wasn’t what caused the gargoyle to explode. It’d be more accurate to say it broke itself because it didn’t understand fear, but still didn’t like it at all.

The other gargoyle proceeded as if nothing happened to its colleague, which is expected. It’s not like it could’ve felt remorse. “My apologies, your Highness.” It apologized. “Entrance granted.” The gargoyle returned to its original post and the doors parted before the Princess.

The entrance led right into a corridor with even more doors every 20 metres apart. Upon walking in, there was a door straight in front of her. It was different from the other doors in that it was bigger, and cleaner.

Despera knocked on the door. “Come on in, your Highness.” Came a response. “I’ve been expecting you.”

She hesitated in confusion, but then she snickered and opened the door. “Hey Buer. So I guess Genius told you I was coming.” The door slowly closed itself behind her.

The room appeared to be a study and had numerous books along the walls. Near the back of the room was a desk with a few books stacked on top of each other next to an open one. Beside the desk, a bow and quiver of arrows rested against it.

The demon stood in front of his desk. Buer’s body was that of a centaur, with his human half wearing a tweed jacket and glasses. His hair was grey despite his horse half’s hide being a light brown. “He still gives me the creeps, but he figured I should know you were coming.” Came the centaur’s response.

“Did he tell you why I was coming?” Despera asked, walking closer.

Buer shook his head. “He thought it best that I heard it from you.” He answered. “Apparently, he doesn’t quite understand your dilemma.”

A grin flashed across her face again, and she took a seat at the chair across from him. “I need advice.” She told him. “But the subject is a secret, so I’d prefer to make a deal.”

The centaur grew tense at the word. “You seek to make a deal? This must be serious.” He responded in surprise, and intrigue. “Go on.”

“I’ll tell you what I’m struggling with, and after, you will never tell another being.” She said, explaining the terms of the agreement.

With nothing to gain, Buer likely would’ve rejected this proposal instantly. However, they knew each other well in the past. Also, he wanted to know what compelled her to make this deal. “I accept.” He said with his hand outstretched. “But only if you answer whatever questions I ask, truthfully.”

Despera examined his wording in her head, and decided it was safe. “Deal.” They shook on it, and another reverse pentagram appeared around their hands. A contract floated above it with the exact words they used and agreed to.

He clopped around the desk and sat down behind it, ready to help the girl. “Now, what troubles you?” Buer asked, curious.

Despera took a deep breath before speaking. “I found the human everyone’s been looking for.”

The centaur jumped to his hooves in shock. “You found him?”

“Her.” She corrected. “But now that I think about it, how did you not find her first? She was hiding in Zelgan.”

Buer became confused. “A human, right under my nose.” At that moment, a thought occurred to him. “Out of curiosity, how long ago did you spot the human girl?”

Despera thought back, trying to get a time frame. “I’d say it was about 4 or 5 hours ago.” She answered. “Why do you ask?”

“It’s nothing.” He replied, sitting back down. He put up a fake smile and waved off the question. “I was just wondering why I didn’t see her. I was just reading since about 7 hours ago, so I didn’t go outside.” He pointed out. “Yes, that must be why.”

Despera’s suspicious gaze was fixed on the centaur. She wasn’t sure if he was being honest, but she decided to leave it alone, for now. “Right…” She said sceptically.

“Please, continue.” Buer said, attempting to redirect the conversation back to the Princess’s issue.

The Princess put her suspicions to rest for now, and cleared her throat. “Well, the thing is, she was a very good friend of mine when I was alive.”

“I see.” Buer said, beginning to understand the problem. “So you don’t want to hand her over to Lucifer.”

“But Lucifer said that if I found her and gave her to him, he’d make me the Queen of Despond.” She continued, gloomily.

“So you’re torn between giving her to Lucifer and getting almost everything you’ve ever wanted, or trying to save your friend from one of the most dangerous beings in existence?”

An awkward smile appeared on Despera’s face. “Well it sounds stupid when you put it like that.”

Buer sighed and rubbed his eyes. “No, it’s asinine that you would try to save someone who’s trapped in Hell when you could become the 8th most powerful being in Hell instead.”

“But she’s my friend!” She exclaimed by accident. She had risen from the chair and slammed her hands on the table. “I’m- I’m sorry.” She apologized, returning to her seat. “I don’t know what came over me.”

After a long pause, Buer spoke again. “Look, I understand why this is a difficult decision, one that I can’t make for you. I’m not sure if I can even give you advice.” He stated, sadly.

Despera pouted, stifling her tears. She wouldn’t let herself cry again.

“I’m afraid the best I can do, is tell you to ask yourself a question.” Buer stated, leaning in on the desk with his hands clasped under his chin. “Are you willing to lose everything, and go back to that well, for the infinitesimal chance of saving your friend?”

At that moment, Despera made her decision, and realized how stupid she was. There wasn’t even a question. “Yes. Yes I am.” She answered.

Buer’s face became grim. “Then you need to ask yourself another question.” He walked to her, and glared into her eyes. “Are you prepared to lose everything?”

She took a deep breath. “Yes.” That one word sounded like she was more certain of this decision than anything else in her life.

The centaur smiled at her conviction. “Then you’re in for a Hell of an adventure.”

The demons terrible pun aside, Despera giggled at her realization. “The clause where I had to answer your questions truthfully, was for my benefit, wasn’t it?”

Buer didn’t say anything. Instead, he walked to the door and opened it for her, but before Despera left, she asked, “You’re also great with herbs, right?”

He nodded in response. “What do you need?”

“You got anything that can fix psychological trauma from my ‘Despair Stare’?” She asked, hoping to give it to Tear as an apology.

“I think I have the perfect herb.” He replied, closing the door behind them. “And Genius asked me to give you something anyway. Just follow me.” The centaur clopped to the door 20 metres to their right, and pushed it open. “I’m sure you remember my Herbalism room.”

Despera followed him in. Her breath was taken away by the site since it had been over 2 centuries since last she saw it. There was flora everywhere, it was like a jungle. One wouldn’t guess it was indoors.

It was filled with plants from hungry grass to even the peaches of immortality. All of which were very rare, and difficult to get.

While the Princess marvelled at the garden, Buer had found the best plants for what she needed. He returned to her and held it out for her. The herb was white as milk while its root was black. “This is moly, an herb that can prevent all effects of magic.”

In his other hand was a golden apple. “Is that a golden apple?” Despera asked, surprised and confused. Golden apples were incredibly rare and would be worth a fortune.

“Yes, it is. Only one piece is needed for the remedy, but Genius said that if you were going to help the human, you’d need the whole thing.” Buer stated. “Cut up the moly and put it in a pot with one piece of the golden apple, then give it to the girl as a tea.” He instructed her. “She should be fine after a few minutes.”

Despera gladly took the gold and the herb, putting them in her hoodie’s pockets. “Thank you for all your help.” She said, really appreciative.

“It was no problem at all.” He responded. “But I will help you no further. Unfortunately, I am not prepared to risk everything I have for your cause.” He said with a serious expression on his face as they left the room.

Despera smiled at him still. “You’ve already helped plenty, thanks.” She said, following him back toward the entrance.

They waved goodbye as she floated into the air. “Until we meet again.” Despera said, before kicking off and flying away. But now, she was headed back to Greed. There’s still one more thing I need before I go back home.

After Despera left, Buer went back into his study. He pulled a quill and blank paper from a drawer in his desk. “I’m so sorry, Despera. But my allegiance is to someone else.” He whispered to himself, beginning to write something.

 

Despera landed at Greed Castle. Today’s been exhausting. She thought, followed by a sigh as she opened the doors.

“Hey, Avaritia!” She called. No one answered, so she called again.

Then she heard a powerful voice behind her. “Avaritia’s down in the market right now.” Said the voice. “Is there anything I could get you, from my shop?”

1