Chapter 18:
59 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tear helped Despera onto Umbra’s back and then jumped on too so she could make sure her friend didn’t fall off. With the both of them as secure as they could be, Umbra started running back the way they came as fast as he could. 

He was doing well to avoid the few remaining guards on the floor. Eventually, he made it to the hole he made by crashing through the wall. He looked around for any threats. When it was clear, the raven spread his large black feathered wings and prepared to leave this Castle, and this whole ordeal behind. 

 

Meanwhile, Insanity, with only 1 minute left on the Blood Carnival clock, was starting to prefer speed to fun. He stopped toying with the guards, deciding to instead just kill them as fast as he could. 

Most were decapitations or eviscerations. And though it wasn’t as fun as before, he laughed harder than ever as he ploughed through them. 

He occasionally came across a Superior demon physically stronger than him. But when that happened, he used Genius’s [Bonds] to immobilize and then kill them, or his own [Lunatic], causing them to go on a rampage against their allies. 

Insanity went as fast as he could, finally making it to Lucifer’s room with only a second to spare. And in that second before his skill ended, he busted through the door and threw the strongest punch he could at the King. 

Lucifer wasn’t surprised at all, and took the punch head on with Insanity’s fist stopping against his stomach. “Welcome, Insanity.” Lucifer said, a condescending smile gracing his face once again. “I have to say, your entrance was a tad underwhelming.” 

The demon felt the power leaving him, so he backed up from the King in front of him. He breathed heavily as [Blood Carnival] took its toll on him. “Sorry Lucy.” He said, disappointed. “I’ll try better next time.” 

“Why don’t you rest and let the adults talk, hm?” Lucifer suggested, though he was really ordering Insanity to let him talk to Genius. 

“Yeah, okay.” Insanity closed his eyes and stood up straight. 

One more deep breath and he reopened his eyes again, showing Genius was in control. “It’s been a while since we spoke like this, hasn’t it your Majesty?” 

Lucifer’s smile switched to one of plain superiority, rather than condescendence. “Yes, it has. I believe the last time was when you asked for permission to leave Pride.” His smile twitched a little before he continued. “And you never came back.” 

“You’re a smart guy, Lucifer.” Genius said, his eyes locked with Lucifer’s. “But your arrogance made betrayal remarkably simple.” He continued, stating his betrayal clearly to the King whose smile was disappearing more with each word. “Not everyone wants to serve you just because you’re the perfect being.” 

The King of Pride now wore an angry frown on his face. “Is that so?” He asked, his words infused with anger. In a microsecond, Lucifer held a sword he hadn’t been holding before, against Genius’s throat with one hand. “I have tolerated your insolence for far too long, out of respect for your power.” He told the demon. “Why should I continue?” 

“You know why.” He responded. “I’ve come to bargain.” 

Lucifer put the sword back in its scabbard and threw it to the side, resulting in its disappearance. “Yes. I believe I know what you’re bargaining with.” His eyes turned to his balcony where he saw a large bird flying off with Despera on its back. 

Genius turned his head to follow Lucifer’s gaze. And upon seeing them flying away, he turned back, his calm expression unchanged. “Leave them alone, and I will be at your disposal once again.” He said, making the offer they both knew he would. 

And with that proposal, Lucifer’s proud grin came back. Though this was a deal being negotiated, one could also see it as the demon begging his King to let his friends live, and Lucifer found it quite amusing. “You know I can’t leave them alone.” He replied. “That human is a problem.” 

“Then what is your offer?” The demon asked, having known his initial proposal would be rejected. 

Lucifer pretended to think for a few seconds. “I’m afraid the best I can do is to offer them a head start.” He placed his fingers on his chin before making his suggestion. “How about 12 hours? And you may not have any sort of contact with the Queen of Despond without my permission.” 

“48.” Genius countered, extending his hand. 

“24 hours it is.” He said happily, grabbing the demon’s hand. A pentacle appeared around their hands, signalling the end of the deal. “It’s good to have you back in my ranks, Generals Genius and Insanity.” 

 

As Genius was making his deal, Umbra was flying away with Despera on his back. I’m staying here. He thought to her, causing a look of confusion to appear on her face.  

What do you mean? She asked in response, her thoughts full of concern. 

I’m staying in Pride for a while and I won’t be able to contact you directly. He answered, doing nothing to ease the girl’s worries. Umbra knows where to take you. 

No, I’ll turn around and come back for you. She lifted her still weak body and tried to order Umbra to turn around. 

Don’t come back. He thought to her, bringing her attempt to a pause. I have to go. Just remember, you owe me a favour.  

Then, as their connection was severed, Despera felt a pang of guilt, still thinking they should turn around to go help her friend. The only reason she didn’t was because she trusted Genius, and knew that he always had a plan. Fine, she thought to him despite the fact he could no longer hear her. But you better come back to me. I don’t like being indebted. 

Despera used whatever strength she had left to force herself to sit up with confidence. She gripped onto her familiar’s feathers and asked him, “Where are we headed, Umbra?” 

The raven recalled what Genius had told him before they left. “We’re going to Lust to speak with the Libidines.” He answered, speeding up with another flap of his wings. 

The Princess grinned to herself as she realized what Genius had planned. “Of course.” She said under her breath. She turned to Tear. “If anyone can find a way out of Hell for you, they can.” 

Tear smiled at the prospect of being able to return to the living world. “Then l can’t wait to meet them.” 

1