Ch 81. The Wicked End Pt. 2
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I quickly rushed to where Afallen’s dead body was and kneeled at its side. We must get out of here right now but…

“This is bad, if they found us..!”

“You have to do it now, Beatrice!”

I pulled a knife out of my pocket and put it over Afallen’s chest. My hands were shaking and my vision was turning blurrier with each second, but I couldn't find the strength to pierce her body.

“It's impossible…”

We are talking about a friend after all. If I do it now, then I’ll have to repeat this each time I lose a dear one? If I do, what about the ones I didn't eat? Would they resent me? Would Afallen resent me if I won't let her soul rest or will she be glad to see through my eyes how far we reach?

I have already made my choice. I know that! But actually doing this feels so awfully wrong and messed up.

I could feel the tension growing around and how everyone was becoming more and more anxious as time passed by, however, if I can't find an answer right now, I’ll never be able to live in peace with myself.

Sadly, we clearly don't have all the time in the world, because while I was still trying to gather my resolve once again, Nero shouted at us from the window.

“There's a whole bunch of Demons rushing out of the castle!”

“The trees told me that they are searching for us, we gotta go, my Lady!”

“Do it now, Beatrice!”

Demons searching for us? They are clearly following Anastasia’s orders, and what's worse is the fact that they are the ones that not so long ago used to be our partners. What will happen if they find us? Would we have to fight them back? Are we going to kill our friends with our own hands?

Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit… However, being found out is nothing more than a dead end, and there's no way I’m going to let our journey end like this.

I gathered all my strengths, all my will to live, all my willingness to protect the ones by my side and pushed the knife I was holding with both hands into Afallen’s chest, piercing her flesh.

Klang. The sound, no, the feeling of the knife clashing into something hard shivered through my arms and reached my spine. I’ve found it, Afallen’s heart.

It was a strange feeling, like slicing a fish or opening up a clam: Her flesh was pale and soft, and there was almost no blood left inside of her body. But the only thing is, that I already knew where the pearl was, because I'd already hit it with my knife.

“T-Thats how a Demon’s heart looks…?”

“Isn't that just a stone?!”

Kaashi asked while putting her hands on her chest. That's right, that glittering and irregular stone is indeed Afallen’s heart.

Is not like we, Demons, have stones as hearts, it is just that once we die our magical power condenses into our hearts and then solidifies. And we, Demons, are not the only ones that use those stones to become more powerful, most of the Legendary Weapons that Heroes hold are made out of them. However, since Demons are easy to hold grudges, most of those Legendary Weapons holders sooner than later end up being cursed by them.

“And now…?”

“Well, theoretically I simply need to…”

“I think I found them!”

A familiar voice shouted from outside, but it no longer belonged to a friend.

“We should go.”

“R-Right.”

We rushed out of the building we were in, but once we were out, we were totally surrounded by Demons. What's worse, I managed to see Anastasia going out of the castle, with her Cursed Child by her side, and coming to where we were.

“Get out of here, I’ll follow you later!”

“Are you-...”

Before I could finish my words, we were surrounded by Nero’s ability and disappeared from the Demons’ sight. However, would he really be able to follow us? I could feel a crack being born in my heart.

“Now, get out of here, my Lady!”

“Good luck, Nero…”

It wasn't a shout nor a long speech, the words that left my mouth were just a whisper that I hoped wind would carry out to Nero’s heart.

“Let's go, he’ll be fine.”

“A-Are you sure…?”

But neither did I answer nor did the answer again, we just started running away from there.

Once we were at a safe distance, even if we were still able to hear the sounds of the battle that was unfolding at our backs, I glanced at the stone that was still on my hands.

“I guess there's no other choice…”

I closed my eyes. As Afallen’s heart was going down my throat, I felt a warm yet cold feeling going through my veins. Afallen’s life was going through my body, from the moment she was born until the moment she died, every single bit of her experiences and feeling was mixing with my own soul.

I fell to my knees as tears fell from my eyes.

2